BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

7 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

I wonder how many depots with outdoor storage had trouble starting up their buses this morning due to the cold. A lot of the people around the area had trouble starting their cars today.

I know SC hooks up their bus engines to block heaters so they will be able to start up in cold weather, I don't think older depots have that luxury. 

There are cold weather plans in place. I don't know the exact numbers but it goes like if outside temp is 10-20 bus may be started and ran for 15 minutes every 2 hours.

If it's 0-10 outside busses may be started and ran 15min every hour.

Maintenance is usually on top of it. Saves them work later

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Driver's put up with so much bullshit they don't believe anyone anymore. I don't even acknowledge them unless they acknowledge me because 90% don't even look at me when I get on the bus. 

I wouldn't know if they're looking at me or not, because I don't look at them (anymore) either !

I dip my metrocard inside the farebox (sole focus on the metrocard itself as I'm doing it) & commence moving leftward... I'm not interested in conversing, or even exchanging salutations with anybody out in public (not that I ever was) - too many nuts out here that would put Planters out of damn business....

1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

I wouldn't know if they're looking at me or not, because I don't look at them (anymore) either !

I dip my metrocard inside the farebox (sole focus on the metrocard itself as I'm doing it) & commence moving leftward... I'm not interested in conversing, or even exchanging salutations with anybody out in public (not that I ever was) - too many nuts out here that would put Planters out of damn business....

It's sad how we can't even do a little greeting getting on the bus, one thing I hate is getting ignored especially when I try to be nice. Whenever the bus is crowded and I have to exit through the front, I'll say thank you because its just common courtesy, I say it loud enough so they can hear me, and 75% of the time, I'm ignored...so I just walk off now. Wouldn't be any different from me exiting from the rear anyways. 

23 minutes ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

I've been wondering about this for some time but how come the Q38 doesn't serve Penelope Avenue from Start (Woodhaven Blvd) to Finish (69th Place). Is there a reason why the Q38 diverges to Furmaville Avenue?

Penelope Avenue is very narrow, which means buses would have a difficult time navigating the entirety of the street.

Other then that, I think the Q38 should either be split or converted into a loop route. It's the most circuitous bus route in the city...

2 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

It's sad how we can't even do a little greeting getting on the bus, one thing I hate is getting ignored especially when I try to be nice. Whenever the bus is crowded and I have to exit through the front, I'll say thank you because its just common courtesy, I say it loud enough so they can hear me, and 75% of the time, I'm ignored...so I just walk off now. Wouldn't be any different from me exiting from the rear anyways. 

Though it is polite to greet someone while working in any profession, a good life lesson I learned is that you aren’t owed anything from anyone. Man or Woman. Not a “hi”, “hello”, “what’s up?”, nothing. B/Os don’t have to conversate with anyone unless passengers ask questions or something major happens.

You’re right that “Thank you” is common courtesy, but you can’t make someone acknowledge you and you’d look silly trying to do so.

Case in point: If someone doesn’t reciprocate any form of gratitude, the best thing you can do is go about your business.

Edited by S78 via Hylan

22 minutes ago, lara8710 said:

Penelope Avenue is very narrow, which means buses would have a difficult time navigating the entirety of the street.

Other then that, I think the Q38 should either be split or converted into a loop route. It's the most circuitous bus route in the city...

Well, I have a Queens Bus Redesign map that I'm working on. I left it in the Queens Bus Proposals Thread if you'd like to check it out

7 minutes ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

Well, I have a Queens Bus Redesign map that I'm working on. I left it in the Queens Bus Proposals Thread if you'd like to check it out

You'll also see a link to a southern Brooklyn bus redesign I shared a few posts ago, with some ideas borrowed from member BrooklynBus through his Tripod website. You're more than welcome to check it out too :)

20 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

It's mostly MTA bus routes that use the old signage until the merger takes place.

I think only (MTA) Bus stops in Queens that don't share an NYCT route use the old signs, with a few exceptions.  

Like this Q39 stop.

IMG_20181130_200403505

The S54/57 bus top in Seaview hospital also uses an old bus stop. (Doesn't display the routes though)

Edited by Lil 57

7 minutes ago, lara8710 said:

Most likely yes. I doubt the MTA would be willing to replace those archaic stops, given that Queens is arguably "the other forgotten borough" in their minds.

That is ridiculous, they have a budget for new buses but can't plant new bus stops.. those old bus stops are sometimes hard to find.

Someone should bring this up to Byford.

Edited by ABOGbrooklyn

7 minutes ago, ABOGbrooklyn said:

That is ridiculous, they have a budget for new buses but can't plant new bus stops.. those old bus stops are sometimes hard to find.

Someone should bring this up to Byford.

14 minutes ago, lara8710 said:

Most likely yes. I doubt the MTA would be willing to replace those archaic stops, given that Queens is arguably "the other forgotten borough" in their minds.

17 minutes ago, ABOGbrooklyn said:

So there will never be new bus signs in Queens?

14 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

They are working on it but slowly. (See photo I took above)

Just an FYI... The (MTA) doesn't have anything to do with replacing bus stops. That is done by the DOT (Department of Transportation), and they have been slow in addressing the problem to say the least.

2 minutes ago, ABOGbrooklyn said:

I never knew that. Thanks!

Yeah, bus stops is done by the DOT. The bus shelters are also overseen by the DOT, BUT they contract that work out in terms of maintenance, cleaning, etc. The (MTA) actually does however change out the bus schedules that you see.  Part of the reason why everything takes FOREVER is because there are too many agencies involved.  

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

2 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Yeah, bus stops is done by the DOT. The bus shelters are also overseen by the DOT, BUT they contract that work out in terms of maintenance, cleaning, etc. The (MTA) actually does however change out the bus schedules that you see.  

Is there any way I could complain to the DOT?

16 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Yeah, bus stops is done by the DOT. The bus shelters are also overseen by the DOT, BUT they contract that work out in terms of maintenance, cleaning, etc. The (MTA) actually does however change out the bus schedules that you see.  Part of the reason why everything takes FOREVER is because there are too many agencies involved.  

Wait for the snow. The bus stops without shelters are up to DSNY.  One more agency in the mix. One big happy family.

47 minutes ago, trife86 said:

Wait for the snow. The bus stops without shelters are up to DSNY.  One more agency in the mix. One big happy family.

Right... LOL I was going to say that... This is why it takes me several WEEKS to schedule meetings.  Just spoke with one of my contacts. I tell him I want an elected official at the meeting, so now he's telling me, oh well now I have to run that by DOT. Are you kidding me?  What difference does it make? I have elected officials in my advocacy group, so if I invite just another commuter to the meeting it doesn't matter, but it matters if it's an elected official. You gotta love it... I've been told that I should hear back soon because we've been trying to nail down a specific date now going back to last year.