BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

16 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Yeah, bus stops is done by the DOT. The bus shelters are also overseen by the DOT, BUT they contract that work out in terms of maintenance, cleaning, etc. The (MTA) actually does however change out the bus schedules that you see.  Part of the reason why everything takes FOREVER is because there are too many agencies involved.  

Wait for the snow. The bus stops without shelters are up to DSNY.  One more agency in the mix. One big happy family.

• Replies 38.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, trife86 said:

Wait for the snow. The bus stops without shelters are up to DSNY.  One more agency in the mix. One big happy family.

Right... LOL I was going to say that... This is why it takes me several WEEKS to schedule meetings.  Just spoke with one of my contacts. I tell him I want an elected official at the meeting, so now he's telling me, oh well now I have to run that by DOT. Are you kidding me?  What difference does it make? I have elected officials in my advocacy group, so if I invite just another commuter to the meeting it doesn't matter, but it matters if it's an elected official. You gotta love it... I've been told that I should hear back soon because we've been trying to nail down a specific date now going back to last year.

One stop that needs fixing is the Forest/Broadway stops for the S48/98 and SIM30. Bother directions has countdown clocks but they show data in the opposite direction so the St. George bound stop will show data for Mariners Harbor and vice versa.

I like the fact that old school PBL express bus signs are still up in many places, as an kid it added to the aura of express buses to me. After the PBL takeover and later on removing the Orion CNG's from Express service ruined the charm of express buses to me. So to me its nice that one aspect of the PBL, even if its small, is still around. 

Edited by trainfan22

14 minutes ago, Coney Island Av said:

Just a quick question, how many RTS are left in the system?

I really wanna catch as many of them as I can, since they're gonna be retiring much faster now that the shutdown is off...

About 200 or so. ENY,  Jamaica, ulmer park, quill and Flatbush have most of them with a few being in Grand. 

Edited by Jdog14

Those Jamaica RTS are a hassle to fan outside of the Q17, and even on that route I'd try to fan it from the Jamaica end.

Most of Jamaica routes are subway feeders and you have to wait on a line to board the bus and the buses that start at Parsons - Archer don't layover at the stop they start at, so you have no idea what route the RTS will be operating on until it pulls up right at the stop. 

That's the reason I wish FP or GA had JAM RTS fleet cause they would be so much easier to find😁 Even Q.V. or MTV would be better than JAM, nothing to do that depot maintenance or anything like that, just easier to find and fan. 

Q3 (Both ends) and the Q77 are also easy to board due to 165th is not as busy as Parsons Archer and most people board those routes at the 179th (F) station stop. If I was looking for a JAM RTS I'd aim for the Q3, Q17 and Q77..

I’ve always wondered this but why do people in places like queens (flushing and Jamaica) wait on lines to board the bus I’ve never seen this in any other borough in the city. Farebeating is probably low in those areas 

Edited by Melbx15

12 minutes ago, Melbx15 said:

I’ve always wondered this but why do people in places like queens (flushing and Jamaica) wait on lines to board the bus I’ve never seen this in any other borough in the city. Farebeating is probably low in those areas 

Waiting in lines are common in Queens because people over there have some sense. It happens on Staten Island too during rush hours, at the ferry mainly, and especially with the express buses. It also happens in Brooklyn on 4th Ave & 86st. The first stop of the B1, S53 S79, and S93. COMMUTERS line up, stragglers and rude pple skip the lines or don't even form lines. Ghetto areas also won't form lines because that's just how people were raised, no respect or courtesy. Also, after school...forget lines, those kids just pile up with their friends...you have to fight to get on because people are getting on without paying and will take up space and leave you (hopefully a paying customer) stranded. 

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

3 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Waiting in lines are common in Queens because people over there have some sense. It happens on Staten Island too during rush hours, at the ferry mainly, and especially with the express buses. It also happens in Brooklyn on 4th Ave & 86st. The first stop of the B1, S53 S79, and S93. COMMUTERS line up, stragglers and rude pple skip the lines or don't even form lines. Ghetto areas also won't form lines because that's just how people were raised, no respect or courtesy. Also, after school...forget lines, those kids just pile up with their friends...you have to fight to get on because people are getting on without paying and will take up space and leave you (hopefully a paying customer) stranded. 

These ratchet people in this city make me want a car lmao

1 hour ago, Jdog14 said:

52 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Bro I see it everyday lmaoo. I'm tiyaaaddd. I need to move far far away from the ignorance. 

Coming from a “ratchet” community Lmaoo I see this every single day and as a person who is living pay check to pay check and having to buy weekly/monthly metro cards and see people just hop the bus or train like it’s a game lowkey pisses me off 

8 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Other areas in Brooklyn that COMMUTERS wait on lines is on express buses BM1,2,3,4 on Cortelyou Road // East 19th and x27/28. 

8 hours ago, Jdog14 said:

Haven’t been on train or bus full time in like 6 years. I like my car commute from Canarsie to Downtown Brooklyn. I’m Downtown on an average of 35 mins or less via Flatbush and some back streets.  Some are school zones. However, I’m usually out my residence at 5:30AM. 

12 hours ago, Jdog14 said:

pfft.... I'm not sure how young you are fam, but you aint escaping ratchetry once you start navigating on these roads, that's for damn sure :lol::lol:

4 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

I like my car commute from Canarsie to Downtown Brooklyn. I’m Downtown on an average of 35 mins or less via Flatbush and some back streets.  Some are school zones. However, I’m usually out my residence at 5:30AM. 

How's the parking?

Not that I was exactly excited to be driving into Manhattan in general, but parking woes was the main deterrent that kept me from doing so when I worked in the 'Village..... I wasn't waking up & leaving all crazy times of the morning for an 8am job for a 45 min. or so drive to find a spot to park either.....

12 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Bro I see it everyday lmaoo. I'm tiyaaaddd. I need to move far far away from the ignorance. 

bugs-bunny-florida-animated-gif.gif

Edited by B35 via Church

11 minutes ago, lara8710 said:

@LaGuardia Link N Tra have you seen my Brooklyn bus revisions link on Google Maps yet?

Yes I have. One thing I like about it is that most of the services that each bus line has some sort of subway connection. One thing that caught my eye was that the B67 in your map terminated a few blocks just short of the Williamsburg Bridge Plaza. Why is that?

9 minutes ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

Yes I have. One thing I like about it is that most of the services that each bus line has some sort of subway connection. One thing that caught my eye was that the B67 in your map terminated a few blocks just short of the Williamsburg Bridge Plaza. Why is that?

That's the B67's part-time weekday terminal in real life, and there's really not much capacity left at WBP for another bus route anyway. Also note that I added in the following two new routes to the map:

B12: Alabama Avenue to Kings County Hospital via East New York Avenue and Empire Boulevard

B79: Rockaway Parkway (L) subway station to Parkside Avenue via Remsen Avenue and Clarkson Avenue

Both routes would operate 24/7.