BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

1 hour ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

As far as I'm concerned, just send the S98 over the Goethals Bridge, expand service to run 7 days a week and be done with it.

What, because one person said that people going to EWR have money for the flight so they must have money for a taxi? What about people who work at the airport (TSA agents, etc)? What about people who need to travel over the Goethals Bridge for whatever other reason (shopping/working at Jersey Gardens, going to school/college, etc)? They don't matter?

Just thinking Why wouldn't it be NJ transit to handle it ?

And what about those workers? They knew their job location before they accepted the gig and should of did some research themselfs IMO.

Edited by trife86

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, trife86 said:

And what about those workers? They knew their job location before they accepted the gig and should of did some research themselfs IMO.

Because most of the route would run in NY, which means the MTA would be in charge of it.

1 hour ago, lara8710 said:

In this scenario, rather than modifying an existing LTD route, I'd create a new LTD route that would run 24/7 from St. George to EWR via Forest Avenue every 30 minutes days and evenings, and every 60 minutes overnight. It would be designated as the S99 and make the same stops as the S98 LTD east of Richmond Avenue. After crossing the Goethals Bridge, it would run nonstop to the airport. The bus would serve a few nearby hotels as well.

A map of the proposed route would be uploaded soon.

The S99 would have to make more stops though. The S98 works as a "commuter limited", made to bring people between the Ferry and the westernmost part of the corridor quickly, which makes it have long distances between stops on the eastern part of the corridor and a long nonstop portion between Bay/Victory and Forest/Victory. People in between that gap should also have service to EWR instead of having to transfer or walk a long distance to the S98. It also make limited stops west of Richmond Ave as well.

Edited by Lil 57

15 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

The S99 would have to make more stops though. The S98 works as a "commuter limited", made to bring people between the Ferry and the westernmost part of the corridor quickly, which makes it have long distances between stops on the eastern part of the corridor and a long nonstop portion between Bay/Victory and Forest/Victory. People in between that gap should also have service to EWR instead of having to transfer or walk a long distance to the S98. It also make limited stops west of Richmond Ave as well.

You mean the S99 should run local between the ferry terminal and Bay Street/Victory Boulevard?

Edited by lara8710

3 minutes ago, lara8710 said:

You mean the S99 should run local between the ferry terminal and Bay Street/Victory Boulevard?

No, but make an extra stop or two between Victory and Forest Ave, where the S98 runs nonstop. Extra stops at Victory/Jersey and Victory/Castleton should be fine.

21 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

No, but make an extra stop or two between Victory and Forest Ave, where the S98 runs nonstop. Extra stops at Victory/Jersey and Victory/Castleton should be fine.

Here's the map of the route I promised to upload earlier, this time with the two new stops at Jersey Street and Cebra Avenue:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1CdxFbbL_oT5GY6NDb8so1YSEO13Q1aLu&ll=40.666015440073224%2C-74.15200250239428&z=11

22 minutes ago, lara8710 said:

Here's the map of the route I promised to upload earlier, this time with the two new stops at Jersey Street and Cebra Avenue:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1CdxFbbL_oT5GY6NDb8so1YSEO13Q1aLu&ll=40.666015440073224%2C-74.15200250239428&z=11

Locks good but there should be another stop Between Forest/Richmond and Forest/South. Mabye around Union Ave or Maple Parkway?

Edited by Lil 57

4 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

Locks good but there should be another stop Between Forest/Richmond and Forest/South. Mabye around Union Ave or Maple Parkway?

The following stops have been added:

Forest Avenue/Van Pelt Avenue westbound

Forest Avenue/Maple Parkway eastbound

13 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

That should be good for a LTD route. Around what frequency would you plan on running it?

If you read the description of the route on the map, it's supposed to be a 24/7 route running every 30 minutes during the day and evening hours and every 60 minutes overnight.

Edited by lara8710

2 minutes ago, lara8710 said:

If you read the description of the route on the map, it's supposed to be a 24/7 route running every 30 minutes during the day and evening hours and every 60 minutes overnight.

For an airport route, that's a bit too long of a headway. It should run every 10-15 minutes throughout the day and every 20-30 minutes in the evening. Overnights, you can either have the route run 60 minutes overnight, or have the S48 run every 30 minutes overnight extended to EWR.

6 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

For an airport route, that's a bit too long of a headway. It should run every 10-15 minutes throughout the day and every 20-30 minutes in the evening. Overnights, you can either have the route run 60 minutes overnight, or have the S48 run every 30 minutes overnight extended to EWR.

That sounds ideal. If the S99 ever comes to life, I would envision it starting service as a temporary pilot program that eventually becomes permanent after it proves successful.

My revised S99 service frequencies:

AM: every 10 minutes
Noon: every 15 minutes
PM: every 10 minutes
Eve: every 20 minutes
Nite: every 60 minutes
Weekend: every 20 minutes

Edited by lara8710

3 hours ago, trife86 said:

As the saying goes "you don't determine the need for a bridge by counting the number of people trying to swim across tbe river"

There's some people there who deal with a PITA commute or make arrangements to carpool and whatnot. Then there's others who simply don't make the trip because it's too hard.

2 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

Victory & Castleton don't intersect. In any case the point is to replace the S98 to save money instead of adding a whole extra layer of service. A few S98 trips would still go to/from Arlington at the height of rush hour.

2 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

See above.

1 hour ago, Lil 57 said:

You can always add service as necessary. I'd start it out every 15 minutes rush hours and 20-30 minutes off-peak and see if it grows from there.

45 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Victory & Castleton don't intersect. In any case the point is to replace the S98 to save money instead of adding a whole extra layer of service. A few S98 trips would still go to/from Arlington at the height of rush hour.

I would leave the S98 alone, as that route and the S99 would serve different purposes. While the S98 would concentrate on getting rush hour commuters along the corridor to and from the ferry as quickly as possible, the S99 would specialize in transporting airline and airport employees living there as well as potential air travelers. Passengers along Forest Avenue east of South Avenue can reduce their waiting time by taking either bus. Aside from being the sole LTD route in the borough to operate 24/7, the S99 would also be the first and only Staten Island route to feature buses equipped with luggage racks. Once Castleton Depot gets new buses, a select number would be fitted with racks to run exclusively on the S99.

Edited by lara8710

5 hours ago, lara8710 said:

Once Castleton Depot gets new buses, a select number would be fitted with racks to run exclusively on the S99.

Hopefully they don't pull a S53/93 with the luggage racks. I cringe whenever I see a S53/93 bus without bike racks. 

9 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

As the saying goes "you don't determine the need for a bridge by counting the number of people trying to swim across tbe river"

There's some people there who deal with a PITA commute or make arrangements to carpool and whatnot. Then there's others who simply don't make the trip because it's too hard.

.... and a bad workman blames his tools.

You have people that end up uprooting or landing a new job somewhere, then expecting/hoping public transit to shapeshift (which is delusional).... Much of nobody likes to want to talk about the fact that people tend to not do (or do enough) due diligence when making major life decisions... That part of trife86's post I gotta concur with.... It has less to do with necessity & more to do with personal responsibility..... Just because you can (physically) work at some facility in any ole locale doesn't necessarily mean that you should.... Using that adage to make the point you're making, to me, is like saying the flood gates should be open to everybody, and at everybody's leisure at the same time on top of it.... Nah - public transit doesn't mean everybody gets to go wherever they want to, on one mode, in a leisurely fashion.... Sounds nice, but that aint realistic....

Being a little more literal with it for a second, connecting two land masses is one thing, connecting the last two damn brain cells people have, is quite another..... There's consequences to/sacrifices that have to be made in making less than ideal decisions (as in, whatever is ideal to that particular person)... Funny how the narrative becomes "Oh, the commute isn't worth all this shit" when you're ready to bow out, but when you were down to your last two nickels to rub together before accepting a job offer, you on all fours "bowing" down on some oh yessa massa shit (figuratively speaking)....

When interviewing people, one question I like to ask is "How was your commute this morning".... While I currently have some good guys on my team, quite frankly, I'm tired of hearing about the n23...

Edited by B35 via Church

45 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

I would much rather a new route from St. George to New Jersey use the North Shore BRT than local streets...

I'd think most people would prefer rail transit over surface transit....

1 hour ago, lara8710 said:

Never knew the S53/93 had buses equipped with luggage racks. I know they have bike racks, but luggage racks? What for?

He's not saying the S53/93 has luggage racks..

He's making a comparative point that this "S99" you're talking about, SHOULD have luggage racks (just as much as the S53/93 should have bike racks)....

It's a comparison.

Edited by B35 via Church

2 hours ago, lara8710 said:

Never knew the S53/93 had buses equipped with luggage racks. I know they have bike racks, but luggage racks? What for?

They don't have luggage racks. I was saying that if Castleton got buses with luggage racks, they should only run on the S99. Not have other buses w/o racks run on that route.

19 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

They don't have luggage racks. I was saying that if Castleton got buses with luggage racks, they should only run on the S99. Not have other buses w/o racks run on that route.

Thanks for the correction.

If the S99 ever comes to life, the most logical plan would be to start it as a one-year pilot program jointly funded by the MTA and the Port Authority of NY & NJ--a potential partner the MTA can look up to given their constant shortage of funds and the fact that the PA owns and operates EWR (along with JFK and LGA).

If the pilot program proves successful (which is also likely) the route becomes permanent.

Edited by lara8710