BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

4 hours ago, paulrivera said:

If you're in Queens it's a great thing because less buses get stuck in traffic. If you're waiting in Manhattan, not so much because every bus that turns at Sunnyside is one less bus that crosses the bridge into Manhattan, and that 10 minute wait becomes 20 or more.

However, that usually happens when those buses are bunched so you would still be waiting the same amount of time for a bus.

What's worse is if you're on the bus going to Queens Plaza or Manhattan and your bus gets short-turned.

Edited by Lil 57

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/25/2019 at 7:44 PM, trainfan22 said:

Forgot to mention, briefly around 2PM today the SIM4C was 100% MCI, all 4300s and one 2200 Cummins MCI. Pretty cool, wish that happened more often, must be an rare occurrence in the "Prevost" era. From time to time I check the SIM3C, 4C and 33C off peak to see how many MCI's are out and about, Prevost are usually dominating those routes with an mighty fist.

I know this comment is a week old but the SIM3C is all 2008 MCIs now (5 PM).

9 hours ago, LegoBrickBreaker101 said:

My friend just sent me a snap, apparently her bus driver asked people on her bus "Does anyone know where I'm going?"

Reminiscent of the last time I went on a (R) shuttle bus and the guys there were from the Bronx division so they had no idea where anything was...

On 1/20/2019 at 2:25 AM, paulrivera said:

Only ones I've heard about were a NYPD confrontation on the Bx12 and an Eagle confrontation on the Q44.

The Q44 incident was a typical, aggressive farebeater that IINM did strike at an Eagle officer, but the Bx12 incident was uncalled for because the NYPD went all ham for the arrest. Turned out they beat down and arrested a paying customer.

Maybe it's possible that after his name was run, it turned out he was wanted for something else? An erroneous stop done in good faith is protected under Herring v. US.

Now, back to the random thoughts...Castleton needs a maintenance shake-up, especially with respect to the Orion 7 3Gs. Twice in the past 2 weeks, I have had buses with windows swinging open on the S93 (7057 and 7073) and 7073 also had tape on the top of the windows that failed to keep the windows shut in temperatures this low. This is like the bad days when Staten Island Division's local buses were the worst in the city before a huge shakeup (and buses were often sent to Staten Island to die).

Also, more on the history of discontinued routes:

B33 Hamilton/Prospect - existed primarily for the Brooklyn Dodgers. How it survived so long after they left for LA is amazing.

I never understood why the B30 existed, especially given how it ended in the middle of nowhere.

Edited by aemoreira81

53 minutes ago, aemoreira81 said:

Maybe it's possible that after his name was run, it turned out he was wanted for something else? An erroneous stop done in good faith is protected under Herring v. US.

They never really gave the guy a chance to get his ticket out of his pocket, much less run his name in the system... Then the situation escalated 2 minutes later. An erroneous stop is still an erroneous stop as once they took him to the precinct they found his ticket was indeed in his pocket the whole time.

This incident was enough for the (MTA) to ban NYPD spot checks for a long while.

20 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

Yeah, I'd say the best times to catch MCIs on the SIM3C or SIM33C (if the AM is too early), is during the PM. A good amount of those runs appear to be rush hour only runs, so the likely of an MCI is greater during that time, since they tend to run them mainly during the rush hour.

20 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

Yeah, I'd say the best times to catch MCIs on the SIM3C or SIM33C (if the AM is too early), is during the PM. A good amount of those runs appear to be rush hour only runs, so the likely of an MCI is greater during that time, since they tend to run them mainly during the rush hour.

So I've noticed that on buses, a lot of the time is taken up sitting through traffic lights. On any street, does it really matter whether a bus stop is placed before or after the traffic light? Both seem to have consequences, being A) you stop at a bus stop and then you sit at the traffic light, or B) you sit through the traffic light in order to stop at the bus stop. And in what way could this be improved, or is it just something we have to deal with? TSP is a possibility for some intersections, probably.

Maybe someone who knows Downtown Brooklyn can help me out with a detour posted on the (MTA) website. B25, 26, 38, 52 toward Downtown Brooklyn. Via Fulton or DeKalb (38) . What direction do the buses take to reach Livingston St? Yesterday and today what’ s posted seems incorrect, at least to me. Is my memory slipping or what? Thanks folks.

25 minutes ago, Trainmaster5 said:

Maybe someone who knows Downtown Brooklyn can help me out with a detour posted on the (MTA) website. B25, 26, 38, 52 toward Downtown Brooklyn. Via Fulton or DeKalb (38) . What direction do the buses take to reach Livingston St? Yesterday and today what’ s posted seems incorrect, at least to me. Is my memory slipping or what? Thanks folks.

According to the website, instead of staying on Fulton to Borough Hall, the Downtown Brooklyn bound buses are turning south from Fulton onto Nevins Street and making right on Livingston. From there they go to Smith Street, then make a right and turn back onto Fulton. As for eastbound buses, they follow Livingston Street up until Flatbush, then make a left onto Lafayette Avenue and then a right back onto Fulton. What they seems right at the moment

27 minutes ago, LegoBrickBreaker101 said:

According to the website, instead of staying on Fulton to Borough Hall, the Downtown Brooklyn bound buses are turning south from Fulton onto Nevins Street and making right on Livingston. From there they go to Smith Street, then make a right and turn back onto Fulton. As for eastbound buses, they follow Livingston Street up until Flatbush, then make a left onto Lafayette Avenue and then a right back onto Fulton. What they seems right at the moment

Okay follow me. You can’t make a right turn from Fulton into Nevins and then a right on Livingston. It’s a left turn at Nevins and then a right at Livingston Likewise heading eastbound you have to make a right turn at Flatbush and Livingston and then the left onto Lafayette. See what I’m saying?

12 minutes ago, Trainmaster5 said:

Okay follow me. You can’t make a right turn from Fulton into Nevins and then a right on Livingston. It’s a left turn at Nevins and then a right at Livingston Likewise heading eastbound you have to make a right turn at Flatbush and Livingston and then the left onto Lafayette. See what I’m saying?

Oh you're referring to the MTA post.. my b 😅 my original post was what the turns should actually be

The right from Fulton to Nevins seems like a typo... Everything else seems sound on the MTA site

Edited by LegoBrickBreaker101

12 minutes ago, LegoBrickBreaker101 said:

Oh you're referring to the MTA post.. my b 😅 my original post was what the turns should actually be

The right from Fulton to Nevins seems like a typo... Everything else seems sound on the MTA site

Typo ? Actually both entries toward Downtown Brooklyn are incorrect .A right turn from DeKalb is the opposite direction from Livingston last time I checked. 

3 hours ago, LegoBrickBreaker101 said:

lol do they ever get detours right, it's a joke...

I was coming home from the ferry on the S46 and when the bus reached the area of the West Brighton Houses, there was a group of around 20 teenagers waiting for the bus. Some of these kids were fighting, so the B/O drove passed their stop without letting them on. (If you saw those kids they were definitely not paying the fare if they got on.) Some kids then ran and started throwing what seemed like rocks at the bus.

54 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

I was coming home from the ferry on the S46 and when the bus reached the area of the West Brighton Houses, there was a group of around 20 teenagers waiting for the bus. Some of these kids were fighting, so the B/O drove passed their stop without letting them on. (If you saw those kids they were definitely not paying the fare if they got on.) Some kids then ran and started throwing what seemed like rocks at the bus.

I remember on the S46 some ghetto kids got on at Lockman and their friend was running down the block for the bus. The B/O FLOORED it out of the stop so the third kid wouldn't get on.

The two kids ended up getting off at the next stop (Grandview) anyway. Smh

2 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

I remember on the S46 some ghetto kids got on at Lockman and their friend was running down the block for the bus. The B/O FLOORED it out of the stop so the third kid wouldn't get on.

The two kids ended up getting off at the next stop (Grandview) anyway. Smh

Something similar happened on the S44 that I rode years ago on Walker St. Some kid tried to block the bus, my B/O friend pulled into the stop, then drove away. I died of laughter for at least ten minutes.

Can someone explain to me what the deal is with the radio transmitted announcements/promotions on buses regarding the MyMTA app/"Please be considerate, and give up your seat to the elderly"/"You are reminded that the cash fair on local and limited buses is $2.75.." etc? They have a lot of the same announcements programmed into the buses' PA systems with a crystal clear recording while the other ones I mentioned generally sound crummy, staticy, and the person just does not sound cut out for public speaking? Isn't it a little redundant? 

1 hour ago, Lil 57 said:

Rocks!?