BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/20/2019 at 7:35 AM, B35 via Church said:

For perceptions of ridership, it won't matter.... They don't care about any of that when it comes to buses.

As far as planning's concerned, well as far as service levels, I think the counters will have little to no effect.... The onus'll be on cutting local services regardless.... More SBS service system-wide is inevitable.... If anything, they may use it as a means to (further justify) getting rid of individual stops all over the place....

How about actual ridership vs paid ridership? I'm sure the B/O's don't hit F5 every time someone doesn't pay. Will that cause them to crack down on those routes possibly?

11 minutes ago, N6 Limited said:

How about actual ridership vs paid ridership? I'm sure the B/O's don't hit F5 every time someone doesn't pay. Will that cause them to crack down on those routes possibly?

What makes you so sure that they don't? Most of them do hit F5 when people don't pay, even large amounts of people.  They are told NOT to confront passengers that don't pay AND to hit the F5 button.

11 minutes ago, N6 Limited said:

What makes you so sure that they don't? Most of them do hit F5 when people don't pay, even large amounts of people.  They are told NOT to confront passengers that don't pay AND to hit the F5 button.

2 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I would have it when the B/O presses the F5 button, it takes a picture of the fare beater and the fare beater gets a ticket through the mail.

Just now, Lil 57 said:

I would have it when the B/O presses the F5 button, it takes a picture of the fare beater and the fare beater gets a ticket through the mail.

Taking a picture of the fare beater only shows you who the person is, not what their name is. LOL What they should be doing (and what I suspect may happen) is they'll step up random inspections like they've done in the past.  I didn't bring up fare beating in my meeting yesterday given my VERY long agenda, but I've made it clear that I am not at all happy with the ongoing "free-for-all" if you will (see that play with words and phrases? lol) that exists with the whole fare beating mess.

24 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Taking a picture of the fare beater only shows you who the person is, not what their name is. LOL What they should be doing (and what I suspect may happen) is they'll step up random inspections like they've done in the past.  I didn't bring up fare beating in my meeting yesterday given my VERY long agenda, but I've made it clear that I am not at all happy with the ongoing "free-for-all" if you will (see that play with words and phrases? lol) that exists with the whole fare beating mess.

Realistically it's hard to get proper id with a quick bus pic but not impossible. I do agree that this method is not going to be too effective.

3 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Realistically it's hard to get proper id with a quick bus pic but not impossible. I do agree that this method is not going to be too effective.

Not impossible, but what if the guy is homeless? I mean some of the farebeaters are homeless. Good luck mailing them a ticket... 

Regarding fare beating-its a big problem, especially along routes that connect with schools.

I was once on the M101 LTD, and not one, not two, not three, but SIXTEEN kids snuck in through the back door and I could hear the driver spamming F5...like this is why the fare is so high. Why should us paying customers have to suffer because of people who dont pay?

3 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Regarding fare beating-its a big problem, especially along routes that connect with schools.

I was once on the M101 LTD, and not one, not two, not three, but SIXTEEN kids snuck in through the back door and I could hear the driver spamming F5...like this is why the fare is so high. Why should us paying customers have to suffer because of people who dont pay?

People, especially the teens always want to justify fare evasion but honestly this adds up to the thousands of dollars in debt the MTA is in now. Something should be done soon.

12 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

People, especially the teens always want to justify fare evasion but honestly this adds up to the thousands of dollars in debt the MTA is in now. Something should be done soon.

If students from a particular school aren't paying the fair, take away their MetroCards. I have a feeling that some students sell their MetroCards and just not pay the fare. I would also cut school trippers if it becomes a problem from that school.

I just came from Montreal and everyone pays their fare over there. Subways and buses are also much cleaner over there.

3 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

This is why students are given student metrocards... but once it's either summer or the weekend they decide it's ok to not pay the fare.

Btw sorry for the double post but a glitch happened.

Edited by Bay Ridge Express

23 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

The MTA doesn't get reimbursed when students use a student metrocard, right? In that case, honestly, MTA is losing money whether or not a kid swipes the student card. I guess it helps with accurate ridership stats, but still. 

Doesn't the schools pay for the MetroCards? I remember losing my MetroCard in freshman year and the lady who was in charge of the MetroCards said that they are worth $1200.

7 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

The MTA doesn't get reimbursed when students use a student metrocard, right? In that case, honestly, MTA is losing money whether or not a kid swipes the student card. I guess it helps with accurate ridership stats, but still. 

7 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

Doesn't the schools pay for the MetroCards? I remember losing my MetroCard in freshman year and the lady who was in charge of the MetroCards said that they are worth $1200.

The (MTA) eats the cost of the Metrocards. I believe they also eat the cost of providing the service too (trippers). 

56 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

@Lil 57 The service costs the (MTA) millions when you take the entire school system and ALL of the kids that need Metrocards for the bus or the subway.

If students aren't using them, take them away from them. The majority of students I see that get on the bus in SI just walk past the bus driver. If there is a way to track usage for each student, that can be used to determine who gets a MetroCard for the next term. Some kids drive/have their parents drive them to school and barely use any from of public transportation. If the MetroCard usage rate goes under a certain threshold for a student, take it away from them. I also propose eliminating half-fare MetroCards. No one really uses them. Who's going to want to carry a bunch of loose change to use the bus to/from school everyday. Those students either use a regular MetroCard or simply don't pay the fare.

40 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

I also propose eliminating half-fare MetroCards. No one really uses them. Who's going to want to carry a bunch of loose change to use the bus to/from school everyday. Those students either use a regular MetroCard or simply don't pay the fare.

I can't say I agree with your other points, but yes half-fare metrocards are DUMB, and so are bus-only cards

On 2/22/2019 at 11:01 AM, Bay Ridge Express said:

I can't say I agree with your other points, but yes half-fare metrocards are DUMB, and so are bus-only cards

The way those half-fare MetroCards work is to discourage unnecessary overcrowding of buses caused by students who live close to school but are too lazy to walk home.

12 minutes ago, lara8710 said:

The way those half-fare MetroCards work is to discourage unnecessary overcrowding of buses caused by students who live close to school but are too lazy to walk home.

It may have been a good intention back then, but even Bus Operators wave them on when a Student hops in with a Half Fare... Especially if you're best option is a 1 stop ride on the Subway... At this point Bus Only, and Half Fare MetroCards should be eliminated.

6 minutes ago, WestFarms36 said:

It may have been a good intention back then, but even Bus Operators wave them on when a Student hops in with a Half Fare... Especially if you're best option is a 1 stop ride on the Subway... At this point Bus Only, and Half Fare MetroCards should be eliminated.

With OMNY rolling out, it will be interesting to see how student metrocards will be applied onto it...

13 minutes ago, Bay Ridge Express said:

With OMNY rolling out, it will be interesting to see how student metrocards will be applied onto it...

I feel that no matter what distance you live in, students should have access to free transportation. There should be no reason that in 2019 a student isn't able to get to their school just because of their inability to pay a half fare, or because their family has economical struggles, or inclement weather outside. If most students have a Full Fare, then Half fare shouldn't be an option. In places like D.C. Students ride free, regardless of travel distance, and regardless of time. With the new fare payment system making its debut, it's about time that the (MTA) Revises their student transportation policy, and re adjust their policies to include all students with free transportation. I know that distance is a bullshit excuse, because there are students who live less than a mile away from school and they are given Full Fare's for economical, or other reasons which just simply makes it unfair for others. Another thing is that people need to shut the f*ck up about students taking public transportation, it is none of their business to even instigate that, and we are no lesser than them in order for us to be chewed by some grown ass hypocrite who probably is stuck in a 9-5 job being paid less than $15 an hour. Public Transportation is PUBLIC. It is a system where anyone is entitled to use it regardless of age, color, race, or sex. I absolutely have no problem with students riding on buses and trains trying to get to an after-school, library, their home, a ball game, the park, or etc. It's their right as citizens of the City of New York to utilize the City's resources to their benefit. I am tired of seeing these people proselytize themselves as more than students just because they get a paycheck. I know some students can be @$$holes when on the bus, but it's life, nothing's perfect. Just as adults have a right to ride public transportation, so do students, because Public Transportation is in place to benefit everyone, not just a certain class of people, just because they want to be self centered and act like breadwinners. This is one big societal problem, and it is none of their business to be concerned over a Student's choice of travel.

41 minutes ago, WestFarms36 said:

it is none of their business to even instigate that, and we are no lesser than them in order for us to be chewed by some grown ass hypocrite who probably is stuck in a 9-5 job being paid less than $15 an hour. Public Transportation is PUBLIC. It is a system where anyone is entitled to use it regardless of age, color, race, or sex. 

If you didn't know there is a $15 minimum wage now, no one in NYC is making less.