BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Anyone here know how the Q34 Roosevelt Ave short-turns are run?  They start at 5:40 AM out of 149 St but there's no scheduled return trips until 6:37 AM.  Do the drivers just hang out, deadhead back, or go run another route after? 

A similar thing happens in the evening with three Roosevelt Ave shuttles running from 11:08 PM to 12:08 AM but the origin of the bus is unknown.

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, 7-express said:

Anyone here know how the Q34 Roosevelt Ave short-turns are run?  They start at 5:40 AM out of 149 St but there's no scheduled return trips until 6:37 AM.  Do the drivers just hang out, deadhead back, or go run another route after? 

A similar thing happens in the evening with three Roosevelt Ave shuttles running from 11:08 PM to 12:08 AM but the origin of the bus is unknown.

They definitely run another route after. I believe that specific eagle Roosevelt Ave short-turn you mentioned does a run on the Q66 right after. There's definitely some interlining going on but I do see some drivers starting out there day on the Q34, then shifting to other routes as well esp. Q25/34/65 in Jamaica. They could move to the Q23 as well as I've heard some dispatcher talk. 

13 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

It’s interesting how I’ve found and ridden 3 out of (as of now) 5 of Gun Hill’s batch of new LFSA’s without even trying.

And they’re not wasting any time getting the buses in service; they’ve already got 5481 running on the Bx12.

Why not? Less work for maintenance.  They run their buses into the ground, yet constantly get new ones.

55 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

It’s interesting how I’ve found and ridden 3 out of (as of now) 5 of Gun Hill’s batch of new LFSA’s without even trying.

And they’re not wasting any time getting the buses in service; they’ve already got 5481 running on the Bx12.

.... and they are getting 15-20 more. Most of the order is for MJQ.  

Score one for the Bustrek Bunker at the 6pm hour:

After a 20 minute gap in service, Four SBS Bx12 buses in a 5 minute span show up. That’s par for the course nowadays.

The part that isn’t: Not one of them went to Inwood. ALL of them short turned at University. Needless to say Uber and Lyft et al made boatloads of money tonight.

THIS is why we shouldn’t rely *exclusively* on a twiddling idiot on a laptop in East New York to dispatch a fleet of 4000 buses across all five boroughs (and Riverdale and Yonkers too.)

Forgot to mention but it turns out the company that's making the screens for the C40LFs out of CP and SC is Luminator. Could only tell since the company name flashed a couple of times during a software update in the middle of a B103 run.

true or false: MTA Bus Company DOES NOT do road reliefs like NYCTA/MaBSTOA. I ask because i'm currently looking at Baisley Park's run board, and i see GBLBL (Guy Brewer & linden Blvd, i assume) listed as a relief point on the q111... and GB115 (Guy Brewer & 115) as a relief point for the Q113/4.

3 minutes ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

true or false: MTA Bus Company DOES NOT do road reliefs like NYCTA/MaBSTOA. I ask because i'm currently looking at Baisley Park's run board, and i see GBLBL (Guy Brewer & linden Blvd, i assume) listed as a relief point on the q111... and GB115 (Guy Brewer & 115) as a relief point for the Q113/4.

False, the Q111, 13 and 14 are definitely relief lines.

2 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

The Q6 also has a relief right in front of JFK Depot.

that makes basic sense. IDK where i heard that BC had a no road relief clause in their contract(s)... just goes to show, you can't believe everything you hear in swing rooms. i remember training at Baisley Park in '09 and q111/113 reliefs being done in front of BP, so i was just wondering if/when that changed.

21 hours ago, Jdog14 said:

2729 has monitors. Its looks to be they are made by the same company making the ones for the local buses (M15,Q44, 7484) but its a single screen. 

* You mean for the SBS buses

Staten Island express buses now getting into bus information screens. Are there 2 screens or 1 screen on that express bus? 

1 hour ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

that makes basic sense. IDK where i heard that BC had a no road relief clause in their contract(s)... just goes to show, you can't believe everything you hear in swing rooms. i remember training at Baisley Park in '09 and q111/113 reliefs being done in front of BP, so i was just wondering if/when that changed.

Things change every pick. All it takes is a bulletin to change how things are done. A lot of things get changed and there's sometimes no communication behind it and/or everyone gets into the routine of doing the same thing daily, that they don't pay much attention to things happening outside of what they do. I went through the recaps for MTA Bus and here are the relief points:

Q6: Rockaway Blvd & 147th

Q22: Beach Channel Dr & 51st

Q25: 28th & Ulmer

Q33/Q47: 82nd St & Astoria Blvd

Q111, 113, 114: Outside Baisley Park Depot

5 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

* You mean for the SBS buses

Staten Island express buses now getting into bus information screens. Are there 2 screens or 1 screen on that express bus? 

They have it setup as if it were a regular coach with screens with 3-5  screens per bus, 1 for every 5 rows or so. 

10 minutes ago, Missabassie said:

I was on 5911 earlier on the M15 they're finally putting those fancy new automata to use on local lines. With that said they could at least program them to make announcement only at major streets instead of calling out every stop.

The M15 local had the announcements for a while. The M101-03 didn't have them back then, but may have it now.

Also this could be me, but NICE has announcements for almost every stop, but it isn't much of a problem. Probably because there weren't much transfers announced similar to the pilots on the Q44.

Edited by MysteriousBtrain