BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

4 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Of course. Anytime it snows in Riverdale, Kingsbridge seems to get buses from various depots and puts them on the Bx7 and Bx10. The last time it snowed heavily, I took Metro-North on a weekend since I didn't know when an express bus would come. A Bx10 pulls up with Queens Village decals at 239th and Henry Hudson Parkway and I said screw this, I'm getting on.  I don't know why they need so many loans for anyway when they have those 2009 buses and then the ones from 2015.  

All of those artics and they can't use them in the snow.  Pathetic.  I guess they need more buses for the Bx1 and Bx2.

I’d say that the MTA isn’t using resources properly. 

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, MHV184 said:

So I'm checking bus time and I see that Kingsbridge is running it's artics on all their artic routes with some 40fts from the depot itself but yet the loans are still here 

Maybe they are short on 40 footers. Their 2009 buses are starting to look like crap. Horrible maintenance.  Holes all in the sides and everything.

1 minute ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Maybe they are short on 40 footers. Their 2009 buses are starting to look like crap. Horrible maintenance.  Holes all in the sides and everything.

I agree on you with that those Orion VII are horrible. Their slowly starting to become another GunHill. Also lately there's been a lot of weird moves so maybe these loans might get transfered to the Bronx or Manhattan.

3 minutes ago, MHV184 said:

I agree on you with that those Orion VII are horrible. Their slowly starting to become another GunHill. Also lately there's been a lot of weird moves so maybe these loans might get transfered to the Bronx or Manhattan.

And some moron in that depot took the time to remove the "y" and "k" from every single 2009 bus, so instead of it reading "New York City Bus", it reads "New or City Bus".  Great way to spend time working on buses... 

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Just now, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

And some moron in that depot took the time to remove the "y" and "k" from every single 2009 bus, so instead of it reading "New York City Bus", it reads "New or City Bus".  Great way to spend time working on buses... 

I've seen that on other depots as well but did you catch which bus number was it 

Just now, MHV184 said:

I've seen that on other depots as well but did you catch which bus number was it 

It's various buses.  Every morning I see 2009 buses out of Kingsbridge while I wait from the express bus.  Before it was select buses.  Now they seem to have done it with just about every 2009 model. 

1 minute ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

It's various buses.  Every morning I see 2009 buses out of Kingsbridge while I wait from the express bus.  Before it was select buses.  Now they seem to have done it with just about every 2009 model. 

Oh XD well that's Kingsbridge for you.

On 1/24/2018 at 1:00 AM, checkmatechamp13 said:

When they did that Co-Op City bus study, they did away with those Section 5 shuttles.

On a side note, I found an interesting report made by a Fordham University student. I wonder if he's a member on here: https://www.fordham.edu/download/downloads/id/5700/thomas_dorante_-_improving_transit_in_southeast_queens.pdf

He is an editor on Wikipedia I have worked with–Tdorante10

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Of course. Anytime it snows in Riverdale, Kingsbridge seems to get buses from various depots and puts them on the Bx7 and Bx10. The last time it snowed heavily, I took Metro-North on a weekend since I didn't know when an express bus would come. A Bx10 pulls up with Queens Village decals at 239th and Henry Hudson Parkway and I said screw this, I'm getting on.  I don't know why they need so many loans for anyway when they have those 2009 buses and then the ones from 2015.  

All of those artics and they can't use them in the snow.  Pathetic.  I guess they need more buses for the Bx1 and Bx2.

They do have the 9, half of the 15, and the 39 to cover for service when the artics aren't used in a snowstorm. Sending artics in the snow doesn't even make sense, especially for the 9.

Edited by Kingsbridgeviewer382

4 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

On those buses, the side panel that displays "NEW YORK CITY BUS" is actually covering an engine compartment (IINM) that when removed, most times the bus isn't relabeled. In depots such as Flatbush, Jamaica, Yukon & Grand Avenue, the side panel will display "ITY BUS" or "N.......ITY BUS" 

2 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Remember the last storm we had where most artics were out? There was that one unit caught live in a collision. One of the Brewer routes.

I believe more got stuck in the snow storm and someone posted pictures of them just strayed out in the storm. 

19 minutes ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

On those buses, the side panel that displays "NEW YORK CITY BUS" is actually covering an engine compartment (IINM) that when removed, most times the bus isn't relabeled. In depots such as Flatbush, Jamaica, Yukon & Grand Avenue, the side panel will display "ITY BUS" or "N.......ITY BUS" 

Actually I've seen Manhattanville have the same thing but rarely. Also I've meaning to ask this question everytime a bus get's traded to Manhattanville does Manhattanville change the battery or the engine? I've been wondering since 3905 almost sounds like an 2005 OG hybrid

4 hours ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

They do have the 9, half of the 15, and the 39 to cover for service when the artics aren't used in a snowstorm. Sending artics in the snow doesn't even make sense, especially for the 9.

I disagree. I've seen lines like the M86 with those little 40 footers on them packed to the rafters. It's absurd to buy buses that can't be used in the snow. Those buses cost hundreds of thousands of dollars each, from a company based in Canada. You would think they could come up with buses that can run in the snow. All of these things that seem small deter ridership. If the bus is packed people either can't get on or don't want to ride.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

43 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I disagree. I've seen lines like the M86 with those little 40 footers on them packed to the rafters. It's absurd to buy buses that can't be used in the snow. Those buses cost hundreds of thousands of dollars each, from a company based in Canada. You would think they could come up with buses that can run in the snow. All of these things that seem small deter ridership. If the bus is packed people either can't get on or don't want to ride.

For crowding, yes it doesn't make sense (although ridership is somewhat smaller during a snowstorm). But for safety on the road, it does especially on routes that go through hills like most of the bronx artic routes. I'm pretty sure what's stopping artics from running on snow days would be the tires that the MTA uses rather than the bus itself.

20 minutes ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

For crowding, yes it doesn't make sense (although ridership is somewhat smaller during a snowstorm). But for safety on the road, it does especially on routes that go through hills like most of the bronx artic routes. I'm pretty sure what's stopping artics from running on snow days would be the tires that the MTA uses rather than the bus itself.

Yes because the TTC's NovaBus LFSA's have ALL WEATHER TIRES, and they do fine on snow storms, but it's also NYC's Geography being very hilly and hostile during bad weather preventing Artic Buses from combating the manipulative conditions.

Edited by WestFarms36

16 hours ago, MHV184 said:

Right now the weird moves are with CS to MHV and KB and Gun Hill swapping some Orion NG Fleet. Once the next nova order commences do expect those Bronx buses Manhattan and Brooklyn bound. 

1 hour ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Today 0019 decided to make an appearance on the B38..... Downtown Brooklyn bound now.

The 38 isn't a long route. So for this to happen is good.  I know they been using it exclusively for the B32. Hopefully those buses can spread out more. The 47 should be another route they can try to use.

I believe Grand Avenue is supposed to get the XDE40's within this month or in April 

9 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Right now the weird moves are with CS to MHV and KB and Gun Hill swapping some Orion NG Fleet. Once the next nova order commences do expect those Bronx buses Manhattan and Brooklyn bound. 

Do you think CS and MHV might be swapping more NG?

1 hour ago, Future ENY OP said:

Idk why you would expect them to go to Brooklyn since they are getting new flyers. However I do agree with you that the moves are weird as CS is giving buses to MHV and MQ and GH and KB are swapping.

1 hour ago, TofuRails said:

Idk why you would expect them to go to Brooklyn since they are getting new flyers. However I do agree with you that the moves are weird as CS is giving buses to MHV and MQ and GH and KB are swapping.

Only reason I threw in Brooklyn is only b/c most of the division is losing RTS. Everyone except Ulmer Park would get some piece of the NG transfers. I don't understand why Ulmer Park doesn't want NG's. Last time I saw one in Ulmer Park. 2011. 

Edited by Future ENY OP