BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

5 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Only reason I threw in Brooklyn is only b/c most of the division is losing RTS. Everyone except Ulmer Park would get some piece of the NG transfers. I don't understand why Ulmer Park doesn't want NG's. Last time I saw one in Ulmer Park. 2011. 

Actually Grand Av isn't getting XDE40s the only depots that are confirmed to be getting them is ENY and Manhattanville. As for NG transfers Manhattan and Brooklyn are sure to get them but... we'll just have to wait and see since what's occurring right now is just weird.

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, MHV184 said:

Actually Grand Av isn't getting XDE40s the only depots that are confirmed to be getting them is ENY and Manhattanville. As for NG transfers Manhattan and Brooklyn are sure to get them but... we'll just have to wait and see since what's occurring right now is just weird.

This is from the Bus Fleet page: 

New Flyer XDE40 "Xcelsior" Low Floor Diesel-Electric Hybrid (Awarded - 5 Allison units, 5 BAE units) The first Test and Evaluation bus is scheduled to arrive March 2018. Note Grand Avenue depot was selected for initial test and evaluation as that depot now serves as Bus Operations Engineering Headquarters, and the fate of Manhattanville Depot is unknown at this time. These buses will serve as Test & Evaluation pilot models that will be used to decide the configuration for the future order of 275 hybrid buses.

9500-9509 (10) Grand Avenue

##Caseclosed. 

3 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

This is from the Bus Fleet page: 

New Flyer XDE40 "Xcelsior" Low Floor Diesel-Electric Hybrid (Awarded - 5 Allison units, 5 BAE units) The first Test and Evaluation bus is scheduled to arrive March 2018. Note Grand Avenue depot was selected for initial test and evaluation as that depot now serves as Bus Operations Engineering Headquarters, and the fate of Manhattanville Depot is unknown at this time. These buses will serve as Test & Evaluation pilot models that will be used to decide the configuration for the future order of 275 hybrid buses.

9500-9509 (10) Grand Avenue

##Caseclosed. 

I see my bad 

I've always noticed that on BusTime as well as on the actual destination themselves, the X17 that runs off-peak through Midtown (separate from the X17J) displays "via New Jersey" despite not actually running through New Jersey, but on the Gowanus Expwy & Verrazano Bridge. This seems to only be an issue specifically affecting buses to Staten Island. I wonder how they've managed not to catch and fix that problem.

2 hours ago, TrainFanInfinity said:

I've always noticed that on BusTime as well as on the actual destination themselves, the X17 that runs off-peak through Midtown (separate from the X17J) displays "via New Jersey" despite not actually running through New Jersey, but on the Gowanus Expwy & Verrazano Bridge. This seems to only be an issue specifically affecting buses to Staten Island. I wonder how they've managed not to catch and fix that problem.

It's not a mistake. The same thing is done with other express bus routes. The idea is to show the different branches. While.it may go through NJ all day, it does for part of the day. It's kind of like a marketing scheme.

5 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

It's not a mistake. The same thing is done with other express bus routes. The idea is to show the different branches. While.it may go through NJ all day, it does for part of the day. It's kind of like a marketing scheme.

It is a mistake....someone from the sign labs mixed the programs up during the update where they were actually spelling out the x17 programs almost completely. The x17 sign was supposed to have the via signs set to S.I streets, much like how the x10 got the change.

Edited by Cait Sith

3 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

It is a mistake....someone from the sign labs mixed the programs up during the update where they were actually spelling out the x17 programs almost completely. The x17 sign was supposed to have the via signs set to S.I streets, much like how the x10 got the change.

Yeah but those signs on BusTime have always been like that, which leads me to believe it isn't. I mean yes it is a mistake but it seems deliberate. I used to speak directly with the BusTime team when it first rolled out and would tell them about mistakes and they'd fix them. I never brought these up though given how they've laid the signs out.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Recently, I've been spending my RDO's on Staten Island. I've considered renting (and eventually working) on the island, but I've had several observations and questions, which I'll get to in time. Last Saturday, i noticed several Meredith Prevost's parked at Eltingville Transit Center. Today, none. Is that a regular practice for Yukon and/or Meredith on a daily/weekly/weekend basis? 

Edited by EastFlatbushLarry

1 hour ago, BreeddekalbL said:

Question i saw at my old bus stop on google transit that a :bus_bullet_b38: to catalpa is 32 minutes late, any way to get it back on schedule or nah and just let the driver get overtime

There's no overtime to be collected. When the operator pulls in, he/she will get a late slip, stating the reason for the run being 32 minutes late. 

3 hours ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

Recently, I've been spending my RDO's on Staten Island. I've considered renting (and eventually working) on the island, but I've had several observations and questions, which I'll get to in time. Last Saturday, i noticed several Meredith Prevost's parked at Eltingville Transit Center. Today, none. Is that a regular practice for Yukon and/or Meredith on a daily/weekly/weekend basis? 

Whenever severe rain/flooding is forecasted OR they are performing work at Meredith, they move the buses and store some of them at ETC and the rest at Yukon. If you have any questions about working out here, shoot me a PM.

3 hours ago, BreeddekalbL said:

Question i saw at my old bus stop on google transit that a :bus_bullet_b38: to catalpa is 32 minutes late, any way to get it back on schedule or nah and just let the driver get overtime

There are options available that can help get the bus back on time but whether or not they are used or will be effective is a different story.

Made a list to which depots has entirely (or almost) low floors for their local fleet:

-KB, GH, WF - standard routes

-FP, JG, QV, CS, MHV, MCH,

-TU , MJQ (except for the D60's which will be out soon)

-Staten Island 

-MTA Bus (with an exception of 8-9 RTS at JFK/LGA's local fleet)

Edited by Calvin

18 minutes ago, BreeddekalbL said:

Do they atleast try to get you back on schedule if you are more that 20 minutes late 

Again, that's if they do and that's if they can. Some runs will straight up be late everyday, regardless, in which some is due to the unrealistic schedule put out there.

29 minutes ago, BreeddekalbL said:

Do they atleast try to get you back on schedule if you are more that 20 minutes late 

Absolutely depends on the time of day and where your run falls in succession, meaning if you are more than 20 minutes down at 10:30pm, they're not adjusting you. You're assed out. It's too late in the evening, and your run is important, depending on the headway of your line. If they adjust you that late in the evening, the risk of "stranding" customers grows exponentially. Generally speaking, after 9:30pm, supervision/BusTime SLD's aren't any help to us B/O's when we're down. I've never gotten a call about being down.. only if I'm running hot (more than 4 minutes)

In most depots, when the pick comes around there are certain runs that no matter what you do, that run was inherently designed to be late... And depending on the operator, he/she knows whether or not they want to pick said run. When i worked 100 street, several late runs (runs 050 and up) on the m15 local were like that.. But the benefit for most of those runs was the RDO's (S/S... Saturday & Sunday) 

1 hour ago, SevenEleven said:

Whenever severe rain/flooding is forecasted OR they are performing work at Meredith, they move the buses and store some of them at ETC and the rest at Yukon. If you have any questions about working out here, shoot me a PM.

There are options available that can help get the bus back on time but whether or not they are used or will be effective is a different story.

Much appreciated. I'll take all the advice I can get. My lady friend works at Charleston on the 74 and has been trying to convince me Staten Island Division is the move.. She swears it's added new life to her career. 

23 minutes ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

Much appreciated. I'll take all the advice I can get. My lady friend works at Charleston on the 74 and has been trying to convince me Staten Island Division is the move.. She swears it's added new life to her career. 

The job is the same but the work is easier depending on how you look at it. During the off-peak and overnight, you're pretty much chilling. OT is everywhere since you can pick up extra trips after your run on any given day, for the most part. You also move up quickly but quickly is subjective. I'm on VR this pick and I've been going back and forth between Fri-Sat and Sun-Sat each week. This week and the next I'll be off during the week and the last week of the pick, FS again. Only have 1.5 years on. If you're considering, get over here as soon as possible. I've spoken with ops who have just transferred from Brooklyn (some with 5+ years on) and they all say that they wished that they came over sooner.

Also, do look at NJ for houses too. Can wind up being better than SI.

3 hours ago, SevenEleven said:

The job is the same but the work is easier depending on how you look at it. During the off-peak and overnight, you're pretty much chilling. OT is everywhere since you can pick up extra trips after your run on any given day, for the most part. You also move up quickly but quickly is subjective. I'm on VR this pick and I've been going back and forth between Fri-Sat and Sun-Sat each week. This week and the next I'll be off during the week and the last week of the pick, FS again. Only have 1.5 years on. If you're considering, get over here as soon as possible. I've spoken with ops who have just transferred from Brooklyn (some with 5+ years on) and they all say that they wished that they came over sooner.

Also, do look at NJ for houses too. Can wind up being better than SI.

Funny thing is, about 9 years ago, after day 7, Supt. Myers from Castleton told me (after he found out that i picked ENY) not to stay in Brooklyn forever. Pick Queens or Staten Division for the exact reasons you stated. 

Tbh i didn't even consider jersey.. I'd prefer to live on staten Island if i work there tbh. Yet if all else fails, I'll move back to the Poconos asap. I'm not digging the city living anymore. The past 4 years are ticking me off, as opposed to the peaceful nature of the Poconos

Sort of wished I could see a D60 on a route in Brooklyn. I love the artic buses ever since I was a kid. I used to stay with my dad in Harlem and saw them frequently there and throughout the Bronx. The only time I rid one in Brooklyn was during a shuttle and I believe it was for the Q train. It was such a treat. Sad to see them go sort of wished we had them here. 

19 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

The community along the former route is taking that B71+ proposal very seriously... there's posters with a stylized 1999 C40LF around the neighborhood urging people to sign the petition.

I saw a sign when I was passing by a restaurant on union street. I guess if they band together the mta would consider implenting it again. 

2 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

The community along the former route is taking that B71+ proposal very seriously... there's posters with a stylized 1999 C40LF around the neighborhood urging people to sign the petition.

I guess CB6 is really serious about getting the 71 back.. They should consider the 75 or 77 to be reinstated too.  I made an suggestion a few months back in the Brooklyn Bus proposal thread that if the B71 gets reinstated it should start at a subway terminal such as Flatbush/Empire (B)(Q)(S). Head down Flatbush Ave to the Library-Grand Army Plaza, wrap around via Union Street. No need for Crown Heights service on Eastern Parkway. Most of the route would be centered towards Union Street and Red Hook area.

The 61 definitely to me takes too long going via Red Hook and Park Slope which are both a combination of the old B75 and B77.

Can anyone explain how the Jamaica depot project is supposed to go down? I just passed Jamaica depot on my way home.. I see (what appears to be) surveyors and a bobcat removing concrete slabs near the merrick blvd side of the depot... Will those auto shop along merrick be moved in place of the depot or has other landspace been purchased? I'd like to believe they'll rebuild that place in MCH/Grand Avenue/100 street style, yet on a bigger scale.. Seems like they have some land to play with 

Edited by EastFlatbushLarry