BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's my routes. I hardly ever ride routes from end to end (frankly i just use buses for riding, I rarely ride what I fan), but anyway:

M1,2,3,4,6,7,8,9,11,12,14A,14D,15,15 SBS,20,22,23,23 SBS,30,31,34 SBS,34A SBS,42,57,60 SBS,66,72,79,79 SBS,86,86 SBS,96,101,102,103,116

B16,24,32,35,39,43,61,62,63

Bx9,12,12 SBS,22,23

Q1,10,17,18,19,20A,20B,22,23,27,32,38,39,41,43,44 SBS,48,49,50,59,60,66,67,69,70 SBS,100,102,103,104

S48,53,61,78,79 SBS

QM5,40

Of these, I've only done the B32, B39, Bx23, Q10, Q17, Q18, Q49, Q50, Q67, Q104 end to end.

14 hours ago, S78 via Hylan said:

Bus routes I’ve ridden from end to end:

Bronx: Bx23, Bx55 (before being absorbed into the Bx15)

Brooklyn: B2, B39, B46 SBS, B54, B57, B64 (pre-June 2010)

Manhattan: M5 (before it was cut from South Ferry), M7, M12, M15 SBS, M96

Queens: Q10, Q28, Q55, Q58, Q85

Staten Island: S42, S44, S46, S48, S51, S52, S53, S55, S59, S61, S62, S76, S78, S79, S86, S91, S92, S93, S94, S96, S98

My Routes

Staten Island:

S44, S46, S53, S57, S59, S66, S74, S78, S79 SBS

Express: X10

22 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

Just a lot of people complain to the MTA about the Staten Island buses.

You mean the physical buses, or the routings and frequencies?

21 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

Would SI ever get artics?

21 hours ago, WestFarms36 said:

Staten Island isn't as dense as the other 4 boroughs in terms of the riding public, so it is unlikely to happen anytime soon.

The buses have less turnover (i.e. The average trip length is longer), so that makes up for it in terms of crowding. In any case, there is a guideline for a route's frequency that a route has to meet before artics are used, and the only SI route that meets that guideline is the S79 during rush hour. As mentioned before, there is a cost involved in introducing another bus type to a depot (special parts that have to be in stock, and the mechanics have to be certified in repairing that model of bus), so I don't think the MTA would go through all that trouble just for one route.

14 hours ago, S78 via Hylan said:

I give you props for sitting through that B82 ride. 

As for the S44/S94, the most recent ride I remember was sometime last year. My friend and I caught the 4:00 S94 from St. George and arrived at the mall at 4:50 on the dot.

Well, it was a limited, so that helped. 

5 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I don't agree with that.  Riverdale, parts of Queens and parts of the Bronx would like to have a word with you.

5 hours ago, bwwnyc123 said:

Yes because Staten Island is much a lot further that why they have Express buses and Ferry.

Staten Island is a big landmass. From St. George to South Ferry is about 5 miles by ferry. The SIR is about 14 miles long, so to reach Tottenville from Lower Manhattan is about 19 miles taking the most direct route. So when you say "Staten Island" are you talking about St. George (which is relatively close to Manhattan) or Tottenville? 

The thing is of course, that any road-based transportation requires you to take a more roundabout route, since the roads only enter Staten Island at certain points.

In any case, it depends on many things including the time of day, and the method of transportation you use. For example, the X17 takes 30 minutes or less to get from my neighborhood to Lower Manhattan (off-peak, the traffic is usually reasonable, and during rush hour, the HOV lane helps us bypass traffic). However, to travel via bus-ferry or bus-(R) train will take about 75-90 minutes (Sometimes even more if you just miss the ferry and have to wait 30 minutes for the next one). The same thing if you're comparing the bus-(7) train vs. the express bus vs. the LIRR (or bus-LIRR). And of course, you have to consider the exact neighborhood you're traveling from as it affects the options available.

5 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Staten Island has the SIR... Northeast Queens, Riverdale and other areas do not have a subway just like Staten Island.

The SIR covers one side of the island. You of all people (having lived out there) should know that. Little Neck is as far from Flushing as my neighborhood is from the nearest SIR station, and there are neighborhoods even further away than mine. In any case, considering the crappy frequencies, the SIR is nowhere near comparable to an actual subway line.

4 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Yes but Staten Island has the X1 which runs 24/7.  It's not that isolated anymore.  From the X1 most can drive 10-15 minutes to their final destination.

You're assuming that person has a car, and drove it to the X1 in the first place. 

9 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

1. The SIR covers one side of the island. You of all people (having lived out there) should know that. Little Neck is as far from Flushing as my neighborhood is from the nearest SIR station, and there are neighborhoods even further away than mine. In any case, considering the crappy frequencies, the SIR is nowhere near comparable to an actual subway line.

2. You're assuming that person has a car, and drove it to the X1 in the first place. 

1. The point is Staten Island has a plethora of express buses and some can use the SIR, so it's not like the old days when Staten Island had much crappier express bus service.  Staten Island has some of the newest express buses, and the X1 runs 24/7.  That is a major game changer and it makes the island much more accessible.  Telling me about whether or not a person has a car out there is irrelevant in my mind.  People know what they're getting into when they move out there.  You either pay for car service as I did, buy a car, or move elsewhere.  It's like the people that move to Long Island and then bitch about how "horrible" public transportation is.  <_< There's a difference between wanting better service, and trying to change service as if you're in an urban environment.

2. No I'm not. I used to get car service from the X1 regularly from Hylan Blvd.  You call for car service in advance and they're there waiting. Get off of the express bus and get into the cab. Home in 10-15 minutes. I've done the same from the X17C and X17J plenty of times. Transportation has improved considerably in terms of the expansion of service on Staten Island.  Those are the facts.  

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

18 hours ago, S78 via Hylan said:

Bus routes I’ve ridden from end to end:

Bronx: Bx23, Bx55 (before being absorbed into the Bx15)

Brooklyn: B2, B39, B46 SBS, B54, B57, B64 (pre-June 2010)

Manhattan: M5 (before it was cut from South Ferry), M7, M12, M15 SBS, M96

Queens: Q10, Q28, Q55, Q58, Q85

Staten Island: S42, S44, S46, S48, S51, S52, S53, S55, S59, S61, S62, S76, S78, S79, S86, S91, S92, S93, S94, S96, S98

My list of routes I've ridden from end to end is going to be a lot shorter, but I might as well post it.

Bronx: Bx12 SBS

Manhattan: M22

Brooklyn: B1, B2, B36, B41 LTD, B44 SBS, B49, B68, B100

Queens: Q35, Q46, Q53 LTD, Q64

Staten Island: S79, S89

Bee-Line: 75

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

1. The point is Staten Island has a plethora of express buses and some can use the SIR, so it's not like the old days when Staten Island had much crappier express bus service.  Staten Island has some of the newest express buses, and the X1 runs 24/7.  That is a major game changer and it makes the island much more accessible.  Telling me about whether or not a person has a car out there is irrelevant in my mind.  People know what they're getting into when they move out there.  You either pay for car service as I did, buy a car, or move elsewhere .  It's like the people that move to Long Island and then bitch about how "horrible" public transportation is.  <_< There's a difference between wanting better service, and trying to change service as if you're in an urban environment.

2. No I'm not. I used to get car service from the X1 regularly from Hylan Blvd.  You call for car service in advance and they're there waiting. Get off of the express bus and get into the cab. Home in 10-15 minutes. I've done the same from the X17C and X17J plenty of times. Transportation has improved considerably in terms of the expansion of service on Staten Island.  Those are the facts.  

My point is that you can't make the general statement of "Transportation sucks" or "Transportation is great" on Staten Island. It all depends on the exact situation of the person as to the exact times, locations, and methods of traveling. I didn't agree or disagree with either of you. 

And dealing taking the local bus is an option. For some people, the system may work very well for them. For others, it would work well if there were a couple of tweaks, and for others, there's not much that can be done to make it usable for them, due to the times and locations that they travel.

1 minute ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

My point is that you can't make the general statement of "Transportation sucks" or "Transportation is great" on Staten Island. It all depends on the exact situation of the person as to the exact times, locations, and methods of traveling. I didn't agree or disagree with either of you. 

And dealing taking the local bus is an option. For some people, the system may work very well for them. For others, it would work well if there were a couple of tweaks, and for others, there's not much that can be done to make it usable for them, due to the times and locations that they travel.

Steps have been made to improve service overall on the island. New fleet, increased service and so on. It isn't perfect but it's better than before for sure.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

4 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

Probably broken, the destination sign said clove road, even though it was new dorp bound

Was it north of the Staten Island Expressway or south of it? Some buses run from St. George to Narrows Road South, and are signed up as terminating at Clove Road (The S86 covers areas south of the SIE)

Just now, checkmatechamp13 said:

Was it north of the Staten Island Expressway or south of it? Some buses run from St. George to Narrows Road South, and are signed up as terminating at Clove Road (The S86 covers areas south of the SIE)

south of it, Dongan Hills

11 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

The full loop.....

There have been times where I've been kicked off the Q48 inside the airport (at MAT)... I didn't count that as riding the full route, so over time, I kept trying to ride from Flushing, through the airport, and back to Flushing..... The first time I done it, way back when, it was a sense of relief..... Anyway, the easiest of those types of routes to ride IMO are the M60, the B74 (both, due to sheer passenger activity; the b/o isn't likely to remember you anyway), and the M35......

The Q72 is tricky; but I eventually got around to doing it a couple yrs. back (meaning, from QB, through LGA, and back to QB on the same fare)... I have yet to figure it out, but it seems like buses for the most part either [go OOS at terminal B & DH back to the depot], or [go OOS at terminal B, DH to & go back in service at terminal C, then leave the airport to proceed towards 94th st]..... For the former, this would mean that buses DH from the depot, start picking up at terminal B, and proceeding to picking up at the other terminals before going on to serve 94th......

The Bx18's terminal in Morris Hgts. has changed; buses end at River Park Towers instead of down there where Sedgwick meets Undercliff.... When it ended at Sedgwick/Undercliff, riding from the Concourse, up through Morris Hgts. & back to the concourse was hit or miss; as some b/o's would take a layover at Sedgwick/Undercliff....

Some routes that aren't loops that I've done the round trip on one fare on, was the Bx29, Bx33, & the Bx6..... There was even one time I rode the Bx11 to W. farms rd & the b/o immediately picked up pax. for a trip back to GWB before everyone got off the bus at W. Farms.... So as a 'fanner, I took advantage of this.... She came in as an 11 and left as a 35.... That day, I was gonna xfer over for the Bx27, but I said f*** it & said to myself, let's see how this plays out (as in, I didn't know she was going to leave as a 35).... Lol....

Out of curiosity, do the Q21/41 in Lindenwood have a loop-style setup (can a southbound rider coming from say the (A) train stay on the bus and ride to 84th & 163rd?)

17 minutes ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

5525 has been renumbered to 103. Its funny that they're renumbering the older D60's out of order considering that 5519 is still using its current fleet number.

Not totally unexpected. They did that with the 1999-2000 buses.

Right now it looks like 5519 may get 101. 

9 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Out of curiosity, do the Q21/41 in Lindenwood have a loop-style setup (can a southbound rider coming from say the (A) train stay on the bus and ride to 84th & 163rd?)

Nope.... Soon as they turn off Cross Bay (over there by that Staples... if it's still there), that's it..... Both of those routes have some rather lengthy layovers on that end too.

On April 16, 2018 at 11:56 AM, B35 via Church said:

Some routes that aren't loops that I've done the round trip on one fare on, was the Bx29, Bx33, & the Bx6..... There was even one time I rode the Bx11 to W. farms rd & the b/o immediately picked up pax. for a trip back to GWB before everyone got off the bus at W. Farms.... So as a 'fanner, I took advantage of this.... She came in as an 11 and left as a 35.... That day, I was gonna xfer over for the Bx27, but I said f*** it & said to myself, let's see how this plays out (as in, I didn't know she was going to leave as a 35).... Lol....

LOL... I pulled that off accidentally on the first day of electric buses on the B32.