BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

On 4/16/2018 at 1:55 AM, S78 via Hylan said:

Bus routes I’ve ridden from end to end:

Bronx: Bx23, Bx55 (before being absorbed into the Bx15)

Brooklyn: B2, B39, B46 SBS, B54, B57, B64 (pre-June 2010)

Manhattan: M5 (before it was cut from South Ferry), M7, M12, M15 SBS, M96

Queens: Q10, Q28, Q55, Q58, Q85

Staten Island: S42, S44, S46, S48, S51, S52, S53, S55, S59, S61, S62, S76, S78, S79, S86, S91, S92, S93, S94, S96, S98

Bronx: Bx2, Bx4/A, Bx5, Bx9, Bx12/SBS, Bx13, Bx15, Bx41/SBS

Manhattan: M15/SBS, M20, M42, M60-SBS, M86-SBS, M101, M103, M104. 

Queens: Q3, Q10, Q32, Q44-SBS, Q59, Q70 Pre-LGA Link, Q111, Q113, Q114

Brooklyn: B9, B15, B64, B82

Staten Island: S53

It was good times back when I was dorming two years ago lol. 

On 4/16/2018 at 11:55 AM, bwwnyc123 said:

Plus Staten Island has the hardest commute to and from Manhattan.

Have you tried commuting from New Jersey? 

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, BreeddekalbL said:

I am suprised electric bus is allowed on B62

There was one on the B38 a few weeks ago. This could guess one thing. Proterra is doing excellent on the Grand Avenue routes. 

Juat awaiting the XDE40's to hit these Brooklyn streets. When I saw the MBTA XDE40 this was something that New York City needed either last year 2016/2017 or 2015/2016. Rode on a XDE40 in Boston. Bus is excellent and will do good in New York City. 

1 hour ago, bwwnyc123 said:

Yes but New Jersey is a different state, Staten Island is a borough part of New York. I was saying that Staten Island has the hardest travel to Manhattan more than other boroughs, Brooklyn, Queens, and Bronx.

Right, but geographically and economically, Staten Island has strong ties to NJ. By comparison, it's much easier for Brooklyn & Queens residents to access Nassau & Suffolk, and for Bronx residents to access Westchester.

21 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

There was one on the B38 a few weeks ago. This could guess one thing. Proterra is doing excellent on the Grand Avenue routes. 

Juat awaiting the XDE40's to hit these Brooklyn streets. When I saw the MBTA XDE40 this was something that New York City needed either last year 2016/2017 or 2015/2016. Rode on a XDE40 in Boston. Bus is excellent and will do good in New York City. 

Lets hope it doesn't tip over like the XE. 

They are starting to put ads on the SC C40s :( I seen one on the 103 with an ad on the front, the rest of the bus was still naked though. I was loving the fact that SC C40s were running around without ads, I hate how the JG C40s look with ads. 800-989 never had ads on the front but these new C40s do.

28 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

They are starting to put ads on the SC C40s :( I seen one on the 103 with an ad on the front, the rest of the bus was still naked though. I was loving the fact that SC C40s were running around without ads, I hate how the JG C40s look with ads. 800-989 never had ads on the front but these new C40s do.

Unusual especially for the MTA Bus Co. C40LFs. Spotted 571 with a Good Day NY front ad which completely caught me by surprise.

59 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

As far as I know the front ads are on the buses with wi-fi and on-board screens, including 578 and 583. There may be more and not part of the 57x and 58x sets.

Edited by MysteriousBtrain

2 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

SC is taking a page from College Point.  Honestly, I don't see anything wrong with having ads on buses. 

The day I see ads on these newer XD60's. At least a rear ad at the least. Doesn't have to be the entire bus. 

9 hours ago, DaTransitMan4608 said:

Bronx: Bx2, Bx4/A, Bx5, Bx9, Bx12/SBS, Bx13, Bx15, Bx41/SBS

Manhattan: M15/SBS, M20, M42, M60-SBS, M86-SBS, M101, M103, M104. 

Queens: Q3, Q10, Q32, Q44-SBS, Q59, Q70 Pre-LGA Link, Q111, Q113, Q114

Brooklyn: B9, B15, B64, B82

Staten Island: S53

Bronx: Bx3, Bx7, Bx9, Bx10, Bx12, Bx20, Bx22 (Fordham Ctr), Bx23, Bx26, Bx30, Bx31, Bx34, Bx55 (Fordham Ctr)

Manhattan: M2, M5 (Wash Hts-Greenwich Village), M9 (City Hall-Peter Cooper Vill), M12, M15 LTD (City Hall-E Harlem), M98, M100

Queens: Q5, Q12, Q17, Q28, Q32, Q33, Q35, Q50, Q67, Q85, Q88, Q112, Q113

Staten Island: S74, S79-SBS

I was browsing this thread (Titled "What is the standard workday for a B/O?")  trying to figure out how they actually calculate the run pay. This member hasn't posted in a while, but I'll give it a shot for the practice. Also @AlgorithmOfTruth this answers your post here .

On 7/12/2013 at 4:48 PM, youngblaze said:

Yup! Vehicle time (the time actually spent driving the bus) is also another factor when picking a run. Two runs can pay 9 hours but one of them will have 8 hours of vehicle time while the other has 6.5 hours. Its on the operator to know what are the good pieces of work and what are the "slave" runs lol.

--

Any one want to take a stab at paying this run with the formula I explained above? (This was my run last pick)

Run: 41

Route: Bx 9

Report: 1401hrs

Clear: 2231hrs

Swing:

Off Run 36: 1659hrs

On Run 44: 1755

The spread is 8.5 hours, and the swing is 56 minutes, so the standard is 7 hours and 34 minutes. The swing is less than 60 minutes, so it is paid in full, There's no spread bonus (less than 11 hour spread) and there's no overtime bonus, as the standard is less than 8 hours. So the run pay is simply 8.5 hours.

An unprecedented move: Bus lanes are being installed between Ft Greene Place and Clinton Avenue in both directions on Fulton Street. Construction has begun effective Tuesday 4/17/18-4/20/18 resulting in loss of parking spaces during AM and PM rush hours.  Bus lanes to be effective 4/23-Monday. 

On 4/16/2018 at 11:56 AM, B35 via Church said:

Some routes that aren't loops that I've done the round trip on one fare on, was the Bx29, Bx33, & the Bx6..... There was even one time I rode the Bx11 to W. farms rd & the b/o immediately picked up pax. for a trip back to GWB before everyone got off the bus at W. Farms.... So as a 'fanner, I took advantage of this.... She came in as an 11 and left as a 35.... That day, I was gonna xfer over for the Bx27, but I said f*** it & said to myself, let's see how this plays out (as in, I didn't know she was going to leave as a 35).... Lol....

I’ve heard that people can and do stay on at WPR/Gun Hill Road when the overnight Bx39 changes to a Bx41 at that stop and vice versa (when the 39 is a shuttle from Gun Hill to 241st it interlines with the 41.)

If it’s true you can still fan the entire pre-2010 Bx41 in one sitting, albeit only between about midnight and 5am.

1 hour ago, Calvin said:

Noticed some XD-40s with different color of yellow and the font is bigger (7000 series)

It was mentioned a page or two ago that the Luminator Spectrum sign programs are being modified to have similar (if not identical) typefaces seen on the Hanover signs. Interesting especially since the fonts for the 'LIMITED' and '+SELECT BUS' sign text is now virtually indistinguishable between Lum. and Han.

What are some specs that you think these new MTA buses coming in are missing?

In my opinion, I feel like the SBS buses should have right side kneeling. It looks stupid that only the front kneels for a bus where you board through all doors.

Also, these new buses should have at least a rear view camera. A driver should have visibility of the entire bus. 

Some people still dont understand how to open a back door, maybe where the green light is, they should have a permanent red light on while the door is closed, and then when the door unlocks the light turns green. 

Also wish the screens were getting deployed faster (new Novas coming in without the screens, hopefully the XN60s batch comes in with screens). 

5 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

What are some specs that you think these new MTA buses coming in are missing?

1. In my opinion, I feel like the SBS buses should have right side kneeling. It looks stupid that only the front kneels for a bus where you board through all doors.

2. Also, these new buses should have at least a rear view camera. A driver should have visibility of the entire bus. 

3. Some people still dont understand how to open a back door, maybe where the green light is, they should have a permanent red light on while the door is closed, and then when the door unlocks the light turns green. 

Also wish the screens were getting deployed faster (new Novas coming in without the screens, hopefully the XN60s batch comes in with screens). 

1. I agree. It not only looks stupid, but it's a PITA to board the bus because the middle and back door have entrances that are much higher up.  I'm pretty sure there are buses out there that can kneel better and if they're aren't at the price of each of these buses, these bus companies need to find the technology to do so.

2.  Agreed.  Sometimes with the amount of people on the bus their view can be blocked.

3.  It's not about understanding.  There's no uniformity in how the doors open on our buses and it's stupid. In Europe and many other places all of the doors of the bus open by themselves and many people from elsewhere are used to this set up, hence the confusion. They have this set up on SBS buses only.  All of the other buses, you usually have to either hold the door handles on the NOVAs or tap the strip on the other buses. I mean who has time to remember all of that?  Have one set up for ALL buses and call it a day.  If you aren't a regular rider you are not going to know all of that.  Even for me I have to sometimes take a minute depending on what bus I'm on.  

33 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

1. I agree. It not only looks stupid, but it's a PITA to board the bus because the middle and back door have entrances that are much higher up.  I'm pretty sure there are buses out there that can kneel better and if they're aren't at the price of each of these buses, these bus companies need to find the technology to do so.

2.  Agreed.  Sometimes with the amount of people on the bus their view can be blocked.

3.  It's not about understanding.  There's no uniformity in how the doors open on our buses and it's stupid. In Europe and many other places all of the doors of the bus open by themselves and many people from elsewhere are used to this set up, hence the confusion. They have this set up on SBS buses only.  All of the other buses, you usually have to either hold the door handles on the NOVAs or tap the strip on the other buses. I mean who has time to remember all of that?  Have one set up for ALL buses and call it a day.  If you aren't a regular rider you are not going to know all of that.  Even for me I have to sometimes take a minute depending on what bus I'm on.  

They definitely have the technology for right side kneeling. Vancouver’s D60LFRs have this feature, so its possible. And in Manhattan, I’ve noticed 99% of the time bus drivers cannot fully align next to curb because of people standing in the street near the crosswalk or double parked cars being in the way, so I’ve noticed people are always taking that big step up from the street, especially the elderly. I hate the fact that the Novas don’t have sensors on the rear doors, the driver flicks the “close door” switch and the doors close right away. I remember seeing this older guy boarding the M34, driver closed the doors as he grabbed the handle, and he tripped because the handle gave out on him, and what happened after? The door closed on him 3-4 times before he got on. 

Is there a specific reason why they never specd buses with a rear view camera? Buses back up in depots all the time, there’s terminals in the city where a bus may need to back up. I also remember one day I was on the B36, two buses traveling together, both pulled up into a stop, first bus had a wheelchair (RTS), and the second driver pulled up close trying to fit his bus into the stop. He realized the first bus was gonna be there for a while, and just sat there because he couldn’t pull out and it was “too dangerous” to back up since there was a crosswalk behind us. We sat at the stop for 4 mins, and people were mad. 

Also with the back door, all those specs are based on different bus models. I was going off the fact that people never wait for the green light to turn on before opening the doors, if they see a red light, they would know the door is still locked. 

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

1 minute ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

They definitely have the technology for right side kneeling. Vancouver’s D60LFRs have this feature, so its possible. And in Manhattan, I’ve noticed 99% of the time bus drivers cannot fully align next to curb because of people standing in the street near the crosswalk or double parked cars being in the way, so I’ve noticed people are always taking that big step up from the street. Especially the elderly. I hate the fact that the Novas don’t have sensors on the rear doors, the driver flicks the “close door” switch and the doors close right away. I remember seeing this older guy boarding the M34, driver closed the doors as he grabbed the handle, and he tripped because the handle gave out on him, and what happened after? The door closed on him 3-4 times before he got on. 

Is there a specific reason why they never specd buses with a rear view camera? Buses back up in depots all the time, there’s terminals in the city where a bus may need to back up. I also remember one day I was on the B36, two buses traveling together, both pulled up into a stop, first bus had a wheelchair (RTS), and the second driver pulled up close trying to fit his bus into the stop. He realized the first bus was gonna be there for a while, and just sat there because he couldn’t pull out and it was “too dangerous” to back up since there was a crosswalk behind us. We sat at the stop for 4 mins, and people were mad. 

Also with the back door, all those specs are based on different bus models. I was going off the fact that people never wait for the green light to turn on before opening the doors, if they see a red light, they would know the door is still locked. 

1.  Well I find it troubling that we are buying all of these new buses (and I say we because these buses are being paid for through taxpayer dollars) and they all have different specs for the doors. I mean WTF??? Someone will come on here and talk about how the (MTA) likes to try out different specs to improve efficiency... Blah blah blah... The doors should all open the same way.  I've had the doors slammed on me on the M86 as I was trying to board through the middle doors.  It's one reason why I tend to go to the front doors when boarding because then I know for sure that the driver can see me as I'm boarding AND if I have bags, etc., the bus will be kneeled 9 times out of 10.  I had a bad calf/leg problem for a while and getting on and off the bus was quite difficult and painful.  For whatever reason the (MTA) seems to think that kneeling the bus only applies to the elderly or disabled, but I see plenty of young people limping around for this or that or they fractured their foot and are wearing a temporary boot.  

The whole idea of all door boarding is to speed up the process, but even with SBS lines, I notice more and more people avoid the other doors and head straight for the front door. I used to wonder why, but after my leg injury I became more aware. There's also some people that just don't understand that you don't need to show your ticket to the driver.  Get your damn ticket and board through any door and go!  Some of them get on the bus and walk all the way to the front when the bus is crowded just to show the driver that they got a ticket... <_< 

2. I think the camera placement thing is just poor planning.  There really isn't an excuse when you have all of these new buses coming in. I have to question who oversees procurement. We're spending hundreds of thousands of dollars PER bus.  You would think there would be more oversight with these issues, but I suspect that the people finalizing the contracts often times don't even ride the buses to understand the issues first hand, and they should.  It doesn't matter what field you're in. If you don't use the product that you sell or are responsible for you won't know it as well.