BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Q44 SBS said:

Will the MTA someday order this cng bus from Novabus? We already have Orion VII CNG(being retired), C40LF, XN40 & XN60. I want to get some thoughts on this. We have the diesel and cng variations of the Xcelsior XD40/60 and XN40/60. The MTA has the Novabus LFS and Novabus LFSA. So since they have those two, why not order the cng model?

Picture below is the Novabus LFS CNG and the picture does not belong to be. All rights goes to Peter McLaughlin from busdrawing.com

TA's reasoning was that Nova didn't have as much production CNG buses compared to New Flyer's Xcelsiors, so they lacked the "expertise/experience." Maybe one day.

8 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Since when does the BxM4C run to downtown? It hasn't run to Wall St since for a while now.

16 hours ago, Coney Island Av said:

Quick question:

What are some discontinued bus routes (express or local) that should've been kept or should be restored in the future?

Most discontinued bus routes deserve to be discontinued. They likely serve little point for anybody these days, have low ridership or a replacement today. An example near where I live is the Q21A, nobody rode it and it served little point for Green Bus to run it at all. Another might be the Q22A (though I have no idea why that one was discontinued specifically). 

Some discontinued bus routes like the B37 have been brought back, but I highly doubt that others like the B75 will as well for the reasons I’ve listed above.

Edited by NoHacksJustKhaks

6 minutes ago, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

Most discontinued bus routes deserve to be discontinued. They likely serve little point for anybody these days, have low ridership or a replacement today. An example near where I live is the Q21A, nobody rode it and it served little point for Green Bus to run it at all. Another might be the Q22A (though I have no idea why that one was discontinued specifically). 

Some discontinued bus routes like the B37 have been brought back, but I highly doubt that others like the B75 will as well for the reasons I’ve listed above.

Not always, some routes that were eliminated didn't need to be cut. The X13/16/18 routes might of not had that much ridership but that was because the (MTA) didn't know how to run those routes properly. There were tons of late/missing buses and there were a lot of B/Os that didn't even know the routes. People started to say enough with this and just went to other routes that were more reliable. That pretty much doomed the X13/16/18 routes and they were put on the chopping block when the service cuts came around.

9 minutes ago, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

I’ll say this. The B71 and B75 both need to be reinstated. Red Hook is booming along with the surrounding areas of Carroll Gardens and Cobble Hill. Last checked that CB6 is working on a proposal to bring back the B71. 

However, I think the 75 deserves a 2nd shot to alleviate the overloads of the 61 and 57 in Red Hook. Park Slope, Red Hook, Downtown- Sands Street. 

18 hours ago, Coney Island Av said:

Quick question:

What are some discontinued bus routes (express or local) that should've been kept or should be restored in the future?

Every single express route that existed in it's exact form & scheduling before the SI express bus redesign... and I say that in all seriousness,

Other routes off the top of my head include the B50. B51, B71, B78, x29, Q79, x13, x18, Bx55.... I would also say the M6, but thanks to the pedestrianizing of Broadway, it's now an impossibility....

2 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

I’ll say this. The B71 and B75 both need to be reinstated. Red Hook is booming along with the surrounding areas of Carroll Gardens and Cobble Hill. Last checked that CB6 is working on a proposal to bring back the B71. 

However, I think the 75 deserves a 2nd shot to alleviate the overloads of the 61 and 57 in Red Hook. Park Slope, Red Hook, Downtown- Sands Street. 

I have to change my mind about the Court/Smith corridor... I'll admit I was impatient, because I did not see all that ridership that the B57 currently garners on that stretch of the route ever growing to the extent that it has (b/w Smith/9th (F)(G) & Livingston... not inclusive)..... The (F) must not be doing so hot (or, as hot), because Carroll Gdns. folks used to shun the hell out of the B75 (even during peak hours).... While I wouldn't bring back the B75 as-was (lol), I would cut the B57 back to Downtown Brooklyn & carve a separate route running b/w the IKEA & somewhere else (via Smith/Court, via Downtown Bklyn.).... Details on that TBD....

Only problem I have with the B61 is its service levels....Buses get crushloaded after the first 3 stops (sometimes even after the the first pickup on Fulton/Smith) in Downtown heading back towards Park Slope.... Funny thing is, most of those people are off the bus about & around 5th.... On weekends, it's even worse; most are off at Smith-9th subway....

Edited by B35 via Church

35 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

I have to change my mind about the Court/Smith corridor... I'll admit I was impatient, because I did not see all that ridership that the B57 currently garners on that stretch of the route ever growing to the extent that it has (b/w Smith/9th (F)(G) & Livingston... not inclusive)..... The (F) must not be doing so hot (or, as hot), because Carroll Gdns. folks used to shun the hell out of the B75 (even during peak hours).... While I wouldn't bring back the B75 as-was (lol), I would cut the B57 back to Downtown Brooklyn & carve a separate route running b/w the IKEA & somewhere else (via Smith/Court, via Downtown Bklyn.).... Details on that TBD....

Only problem I have with the B61 is its service levels....Buses get crushloaded after the first 3 stops (sometimes even after the the first pickup on Fulton/Smith) in Downtown heading back towards Park Slope.... Funny thing is, most of those people are off the bus about & around 5th.... On weekends, it's even worse; most are off at Smith-9th subway....

I’d bring back 75 under the condition that it helps out 61 more or less the 57. I wish there was a way that the 77 could also get tied in. However, as you stated the 75 would be a hard sell to return. However, with the population of Carroll Gardens,  Cobble Hill, and Red Hook. You need the 71, 75 definitely. 77 (toss up). Sometime later this week I will try to draw up 3 separate maps. 

Edited by Future ENY OP

16 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

I’d bring back 75 under the condition that it helps out 61 more or less the 57. I wish there was a way that the 77 could also get tied in. However, as you stated the 75 would be a hard sell to return. However, with the population of Carroll Gardens,  Cobble Hill, and Red Hook. You need the 71, 75 definitely. 77 (toss up). Sometime later this week I will try to draw up 3 separate maps. 

The B77 I don't think needs to come back. The B71 is needed, the B75 I'm on the fence, because the B57 does pretty good with taking the eastern portion of Red Hook into Downtown Brooklyn. I don't think Court/Smith needs two buses. 

29 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

The B77 I don't think needs to come back. The B71 is needed, the B75 I'm on the fence, because the B57 does pretty good with taking the eastern portion of Red Hook into Downtown Brooklyn. I don't think Court/Smith needs two buses. 

However, the 57 is a pretty long route to Maspeth. However, I will not dis-credit the fact it does a good job on the Red-Hook side of things.

71 and 75 definitely to return IMO. Have the 75 help out 61. 57 & 61 usually get packed in Downtown Brooklyn. At least by having the 75 only on Weekdays it could alleviate some overcrowding. If the 75 could be marketed effectively than I can see it’s return. However, not on same routing as pre-2010. 

Edited by Future ENY OP

1 hour ago, Future ENY OP said:

If you want to have the B75 reverted to help out the B61, it's going to have to go into Red Hook (which of course, the 75 never really did)....

The B77 was that deal, but unfortunately, that riderbase been swallowed up by the B61....

(I) Await the maps.....

1 hour ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Yeah, there's no point in bringing back the B77 now....

Most people on here from what I gather, are all in concurrence w/ a B71 reversion....

I want no part of the B75 coming back; I'd rather [the B61 remaining as the route running clear across 9th st, then going over to serve Red Hook, etc.], over having a route that [ran along 9th to smith/court, on into Downtown Bklyn.].... The difference b/w the (IMO) failure of the B75 & the success of the B61, is the fact that Red Hook has boomed/grown faster than Carroll Gardens/Cobble Hill (IKEA played a significant part in all this as well), not to mention the fact that the B61 parallels less of the already meandrous (F) in CB6 territory....

Court/Smith definitely doesn't need a supplemental route....

36 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

However, the 57 is a pretty long route to Maspeth. However, I will not dis-credit the fact it does a good job on the Red-Hook side of things.

71 and 75 definitely to return IMO. Have the 75 help out 61. 57 & 61 usually get packed in Downtown Brooklyn. At least by having the 75 only on Weekdays it could alleviate some overcrowding. If the 75 could be marketed effectively than I can see it’s return. However, not on same routing as pre-2010. 

While I had no qualms about the B75 discontinuation, I didn't care for running the B57 over to Red Hook.... It was one of those "best of the worst" situations, as you couldn't feasibly justify extending any other Downtown route along that corridor.....

Earlier today, their was two buses back to back on the B14 where the bustime sensor wasn't working, so on the app, it looked only one bus was going Crown Heights bound on the entire route. 

Doing my routines today, I rode three ENY routes... B17, B14 and the B42 and on each route I got an OG hybrid,

On 8/22/2018 at 10:20 AM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

People are already talking about car pooling to Manhattan, and aside from that, the (MTA) seems hell bent on leaving the routes the way that they are, which is all Midtown buses running down 5th, no matter how much back up there is.  If this is improvement, God help me when they do the Riverdale express buses.

I find the express bus network between Riverdale and Manhattan is pretty unique. The BxM1 to East Midtown, the BxM2 to West Midtown and the BxM18 to Downtown (rush hours only). Who knows what the (MTA) could do to this and the rest of The Bronx's express bus network.

Edited by Keon Milton

I got a nice taste of what Staten Islanders have been going through with the SIMs waiting for the X27 this evening...

Got to the stop around 5:45 and just missed a bus cause the SIM32 in the stop meant the op of the X27 couldn't see me running over. At the time I thought that was fine, the next bus was in 5 minutes anyway... Both the 5:50 and 5:59 buses did not show up, period and the 6:08 flagged us because it was already full. Ended up finally getting on the 6:17 which was a bus from Worth Street and meant that I got a seat. That wasn't for long though because we had filled up all the seats by Exchange Alley and for the first I can recall on an X27, we had some standees... 

The bus also took 40 minutes to get through Lower Manhattan because Broadway and Battery Place was a parking lot of SIM buses the entire way...

9 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

I got a nice taste of what Staten Islanders have been going through with the SIMs waiting for the X27 this evening...

Got to the stop around 5:45 and just missed a bus cause the SIM32 in the stop meant the op of the X27 couldn't see me running over. At the time I thought that was fine, the next bus was in 5 minutes anyway... Both the 5:50 and 5:59 buses did not show up, period and the 6:08 flagged us because it was already full. Ended up finally getting on the 6:17 which was a bus from Worth Street and meant that I got a seat. That wasn't for long though because we had filled up all the seats by Exchange Alley and for the first I can recall on an X27, we had some standees... 

The bus also took 40 minutes to get through Lower Manhattan because Broadway and Battery Place was a parking lot of SIM buses the entire way...

Yeah, it’s still a big mess with the SIM buses...

1 hour ago, Around the Horn said:

Me personally whenever there's traffic in Lower Manhattan, I just chase the bus to the next stop. A few days (maybe a week, I forget offhand) before the SIM routes started I got out of the (A) at Fulton, just missed an X17A at Cortlandt, ran down and passed another X17A, and ended up catching the one in front of it that was loading passengers at the Rector Street/Exchange Alley stop.