BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Went by Trump Tower today, surprisingly, traffic wasn't that bad. Predsidian traffic seemed lighter than usual for that area. Was expecting more lookie loos (that was the reason I was in the area) since cheeto was in town for UN. Didn't want to or expect to see Trump I just wanted to see the over the top security measures😄

I only saw Manthattanville buses travels down 5th, the SI express buses were going W/B on 57th. No idea where the Brooklyn express routes were running.

I was expecting the area to be complete gridlock and chaos, but it was super calm, to the point it was eerie. The MTV buses I saw flowed right though smoothly.

Wow, that’s strange... are people actually listening to the gridlock alerts and avoiding driving?

I know the SIMs from Central Park S are running on 7th until 50th and the ones from 57th/Lex are running down Lex until 42nd. Not sure why they couldn’t just keep the buses on 5th.

42nd in the morning is a total mess from 6th eastward. One lane in each direction is closed from 5th to 2nd for emergency vehicles. I’ve been getting off at 6th and walking to Lex. Maybe they should’ve sent the SIM buses in on 34th, but since the majority of riders get off on 42nd between 9th (or 8th, depending on where the driver stops first...) and 6th, not too many riders are really affected by the mess on the east side. 

18 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Went by Trump Tower today, surprisingly, traffic wasn't that bad. Predsidian traffic seemed lighter than usual for that area. Was expecting more lookie loos (that was the reason I was in the area) since cheeto was in town for UN. Didn't want to or expect to see Trump I just wanted to see the over the top security measures😄

I only saw Manthattanville buses travelling down 5th, the SI express buses were going W/B on 57th. No idea where the Brooklyn express routes were running.

I was expecting the area to be complete gridlock and chaos, but it was super calm, to the point it was eerie. The MTV buses I saw flowed right though smoothly.

That depends on when you're traveling because they are doing floating shutdowns of traffic throughout Midtown.

27 minutes ago, Calvin said:

To point out the B82 SBS, westbound: the last stop is at 25 Av-Cropsey Av. Also, the loop won't be in-use on that route at Rockaway Parkway station. 

Its supposed to be streamlined while turning glenwood rd into a two way street. But they said the upcoming weeks the route will be modified to go around the ongoing construction in canarise. 

3 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

They falling off of the seats at the very first stop... 

3 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

I think they had some pamphlet advertising the new express system at the beginning (in August) but I don't recall them being all over the floor like these surveys.

On top of hearing the announcement of this 10+ times a day, someone thought y'all would be actually taking these off the seats. Lol.

Just now, SevenEleven said:

On top of hearing the announcement of this 10+ times a day, someone thought y'all would be actually taking these off the seats. Lol.

I have to tell you that I really feel for you guys because you are putting up with pure hell. I was so angry when I spoke before the board on Monday. You have no idea. They are throwing you guys to the wolves with these impossible deadhead times and horrendous planning all around. Polly Trottenberg has got to start doing her job at the DOT, and I plan on addressing her a lot more at the board meetings because she’s been doing everything but addressing a ticking time bomb which is congestion. Instead of her proactively addressing the problem (the DOT controls the layout of City streets, as well as where the bus stops are placed), she’s been hell bent on selling de Blasio’s millionaires’ tax which doesn’t have a chance in hell of passing, since any such bill will have to be signed off in the State by Cuomo.

4 minutes ago, RTSTdrive said:

B6-SBS confirmed 2k19 😂

Are they seriously going to implement the B6 SBS before they redesign the Brooklyn Bus Network? They need to wait until after the network redesign to implement any SBS route. Who knows what they want to do with the B6 when they do the redesign for Brooklyn. 

1 hour ago, JeremiahC99 said:

Are they seriously going to implement the B6 SBS before they redesign the Brooklyn Bus Network? They need to wait until after the network redesign to implement any SBS route. Who knows what they want to do with the B6 when they do the redesign for Brooklyn. 

I believe with the SI "big three" (X1, X10 and X17) pretty much stayed the same after the SIM redesign, I heard they even copied and pasted the timetables from those routes in the redesign lol.

I think when the BK redesign comes a heavy hitter route like the B6 will be left alone IMO... 

I will say though when B6 SBS is implemented it will have to run the full route from UP depot to New Lots.. I remember a few years ago the B6 limited was cut back to Rock Park (L) station where's the locals went to New Lots, the old routing was changed back the very next pick😂

34 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

I believe with the SI "big three" (X1, X10 and X17) pretty much stayed the same after the SIM redesign, I heard they even copied and pasted the timetables from those routes in the redesign lol.

I think when the BK redesign comes a heavy hitter route like the B6 will be left alone IMO... 

I will say though when B6 SBS is implemented it will have to run the full route from UP depot to New Lots.. I remember a few years ago the B6 limited was cut back to Rock Park (L) station where's the locals went to New Lots, the old routing was changed back the very next pick😂

I'm not really sure about that. The B6, which you claim is a heavy hitter route, and I do admit that it is, has lost ridership between 2016 and 2017, as did most bus route in the city. The entire bus system needs to be redesigned from scratch so that way, heavy hitter routes increase ridership, not lose ridership.

Edited by JeremiahC99

On 9/24/2018 at 1:23 PM, bobtehpanda said:

It's a bit of a tricky scenario, because I don't want to prevent transfers between local buses and services east of Springfield. Maybe to prevent that, have the 46LTD end at Main St, and not transfer at Kew Gardens at all.

Q46 LTDs right now are too crowded because they're trying to be everything and then kind of falling flat. The N22L was a misfire because the N22 doesn't have the headways to justify all the crazy variants they were trying to pull; but the Q46 runs like water during the peak. But the N22 itself, relative to the Q43, is actually pretty good; it's 20 minutes from 179 to Cherry Lane, and I'd say you'd probably see 5-10% of the bus get off at that single stop.

Honestly, of all the routes double deckers could be on, the Q46 would be a great candidate, since a good portion of the ridership is traveling very long distances.

Double Deckers will be restricted to Express operations only for the time being.

23 hours ago, Calvin said:

All Proterras except 19 are OOS at this time, units are at the Proterra Plant

Remember MTA changed a few specs, which include the rear doors.

I do however think Grand actually has 2 lemons on their hands. 0020, and 9502. Those 2 can't seem to ever make service, or stay in service.

1 hour ago, JeremiahC99 said:

Dude..... This is how rumors get started.....

Just now, JeremiahC99 said:

I'm not really sure about that. The B6, which you claim is a heavy hitter route, and I do admit that it is, has lost ridership between 2016 and 2017, as has most bus route in the city. The entire bus system needs to be redesigned from scratch so heavy hitter routes increase ridership, not lose ridership.

Some routes don't need to be redesigned at all. They just need their time structure, headways, transfer time points, and frequencies redesigned.

1 minute ago, East New York said:

Some routes don't need to be redesigned at all. They just need their time structure, headways, transfer time points, and frequencies redesigned.

I would love that since these schedules do not reflect actual traffic conditions. There is always a traffic condition one day after another and it just makes these buses slow and behind schedule. The schedule fixes should make the buses more reliable.

Also, do you see any local bus routes that would remain unchanged during the redesign?

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

The X1 did. The X10 & X17 are completely different, which is why it's ridiculous that they copy-pasted the old schedules, because those routes serve entirely new areas.

The SIM3C is basically an X12 to Port Richmond, but it uses the X10 schedule, and the SIM4C is a combination of the Gannon portion of the X10 with the Richmond portion of the X17. Weekdays, it runs on a reduced X17 schedule and weekends is where the copy-pasting came in.

For those that may not have been keeping track or in the event that certain buses havent been announced in the moves & transfers thread (frankly I don't have the patience tonread through a months' worth of posts on there), I've decided to make a summary post of what newly delivered bus fleets are assigned where as of 9/28/18 (this does NOT include what's sitting at the vendor awaiting assignment):

XD40:

East New York: 7663-7684

Flatbush: 7615-7662

Fresh Pond: 7508-7518

Grand Avenue: 7520, 7522

Jamaica: 7484 (Vendor), 7487-7503, 7505-7507, 7572

XN60:

Gleason: 1025-1026, 1030-1037, 1073-1100

West Farms: 1001-1015, 1021-1024, 1027-1029, 1038-1045, 1047-1048, 1072

hopefully this helps someone in some way.

Edited by Orion6025
Clarification