BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

Just caught 2882 on the S88.

My last 3 days of BusTime checking can give you the times that 2882 would run on the S89. (Times are subject to change)

SB (Staten Island) - 5:25 PM

NB (New Jersey) - 6:20 PM

See my post above. It's because it crosses the Bayonne Bridge after 7pm.

2 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

Just caught 2882 on the S89.

My last 3 days of BusTime checking can give you the times that 2882 would run on the S89. (Times are subject to change)

SB (Staten Island) - 5:25 PM, 7:40 PM

NB (New Jersey) - 6:20 PM

New times, edits are in red.

Edited by Lil 57

1 hour ago, bobtehpanda said:

That's super overkill, for a screen that is essentially just pointed to a web page.

How is a laptop with an i5 Processor running with >2.0 gHz speed overkill to run a server handling the manegement of the largest bus fleet in the nation?

Also, do you have any bright ideas to stop the morning knockout of BusTime that does not involve having to pick up gaming PCs or any other powerful PCs from Best Buy?

9 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

How is a laptop with an i5 Processor running with >2.0 gHz speed overkill to run a server handling the manegement of the largest bus fleet in the nation?

Also, do you have any bright ideas to stop the morning knockout of BusTime that does not involve having to pick up gaming PCs or any other powerful PCs from Best Buy?

1. Find system breaking bugs in the code and patch them

2. Have redundancies with the system. Like if one fails, get another one up and running.

3. I think the MTA will flatly refuse to buy gaming PCs from anywhere. They have huge markup and you don’t even need the GPU in it if the PC is prebuilt. (Plus, I think the MTA gets their computing needs from large volume corporate electronics companies like Dell, HP, or Apple.)

And yeah, an 8th gen Core i5 (or Core i7, for that matter), is probably unable to handle the demand for BusTime and other MTA services. 

Edited by mine248

MTA Service Status

Delays  Posted: 10/10/2018 10:21PM 
SIM1, SIM5, SIM6, SIM7, SIM9 and SIM10 bus service have concluded for the evening after earlier traffic on Hylan Blvd.

So the (MTA) now notifies us when service is done for the night?

Also, I've been noticing that on BusTime, the SIM4C trips to Arden Heights show up as regular SIM4 trips to Annadale.

Edited by Lil 57

3 hours ago, Calvin said:

9302, 9307 and 9348 are last RTS at MTA Bus

I love how most of the final 1996 RTS's to run in the MTA are Ulmer Park originals, 9085, 9094, 9302 and 9307. I've heard mixed opinions about how UP maintain their buses over the years but they must have really took care of those 96's for them to last 22 years. 

Edited by trainfan22

I notice they added an S62 short-turn from CSI to Jewett Avenue at 7:45am. I wonder if that was related to the express redesign at all (give riders another bus to connect to the SIM3 for Midtown service or something). There's a trip that arrives at 7:45am (which existed for as long as I remember) but apparently they have it turn around and do a quick trip to Jewett for whatever reason (maybe on the way back to St. George for another trip)

13 minutes ago, Joel Up Front said:

Why do I hear newer (e.g. NGs and newer) buses release air at extended stops?  The engine also idles smoother after.

Pretty much all buses (old and new) do that regardless of generation or model. The engine's compressors release air after about 30 seconds regardless of the engine's RPM. TA has spec'd noticeably quieter air releases for the buses with the ISLG/ISL9/L9 engine.

Edited by RTSTdrive

Almost two months ago, I was in Staten Island gathering lots of footage of the old X routes before they were discontinued. 

When I went down to ETC, I was taking a photo of an S84 bus but then this employee came out from inside the office room and fiercely told me, "It's illegal to take pictures of buses and trains!!" Shortly after, I tried to fan from a few sneaky spots at ETC, but shortly left afterward. 

I know it's legal to take photos of buses and trains, but I plan on going down to ETC again to fan some bus routes. Does anyone have a link to the MTA rulebook so that I can show it to any employee there who tries to bother me with illegal photo reasons? IINM it states that photography is completely legal. 

5 minutes ago, Coney Island Av said:

Almost two months ago, I was in Staten Island gathering lots of footage of the old X routes before they were discontinued. 

When I went down to ETC, I was taking a photo of an S84 bus but then this employee came out from inside the office room and fiercely told me, "It's illegal to take pictures of buses and trains!!" Shortly after, I tried to fan from a few sneaky spots at ETC, but shortly left afterward. 

I know it's legal to take photos of buses and trains, but I plan on going down to ETC again to fan some bus routes. Does anyone have a link to the MTA rulebook so that I can show it to any employee there who tries to bother me with illegal photo reasons? IINM it states that photography is completely legal. 

http://web.mta.info/nyct/rules/rules.htm

Section 1050.9c

9 hours ago, Coney Island Av said:

Don't expect that this genius employee will be able to comprehend English. He could still make trouble for you,

12 hours ago, Coney Island Av said:

2 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Don't expect that this genius employee will be able to comprehend English. He could still make trouble for you,

What I would do is leave the ETC area, and if he continued, I'd tell him to get lost, as at that point, you should be on PUBLIC property, but yes, you can certainly show him the rules and make sure that you don't have any flash on.