BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

13 hours ago, Coney Island Av said:

Almost two months ago, I was in Staten Island gathering lots of footage of the old X routes before they were discontinued. 

When I went down to ETC, I was taking a photo of an S84 bus but then this employee came out from inside the office room and fiercely told me, "It's illegal to take pictures of buses and trains!!" Shortly after, I tried to fan from a few sneaky spots at ETC, but shortly left afterward. 

I know it's legal to take photos of buses and trains, but I plan on going down to ETC again to fan some bus routes. Does anyone have a link to the MTA rulebook so that I can show it to any employee there who tries to bother me with illegal photo reasons? IINM it states that photography is completely legal. 

I wouldn't bother with Eltingville, it's just not worth it. Given the amount of MTA employees that pass through there, you're bound to come upon some bad eggs. And FWIW, there are a few dispatchers consistently around there that aren't cool with photography. There are so many other spots in Staten Island, many of which are untouched, that are more worth it than Eltingville.

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Service Change  Posted: 10/12/2018  6:01PM 

Q64 and QM4 buses are detoured because of construction on 1078 St and 69 St.

Detour is as follows:

Q64 Queens Blvd Bound/QM4 Manhattan Bound: Via Jewel Av, left on Grand Central Pkwy Svc Rd, right on 75 Av, right on Queens Blvd and regular route.

Good news, the bathrooms at ETC are open to the public again! Came in handy as I had to pee when I got off the bus. Horrible ride btw, should have known better than to ride a via NJ bus on a Friday afternoon, even the section of the Turnpike with 6 lanes in each direction was crawling smh. I took another L also because I thought it was a via BK bus, so it took me much further into SI than I had hoped to travel...

The backtrack from ETC back to Brooklyn is tedious, the via NJ expresses are my favorite express runs in the system, but man I do NOT look forward to the backtrack back to Brooklyn.

22 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Good news, the bathrooms at ETC are open to the public again! Came in handy as I had to pee when I got off the bus. Horrible ride btw, should have known better than to ride a via NJ bus on a Friday afternoon, even the section of the Turnpike with 6 lanes in each direction was crawling smh. I took another L also because I thought it was a via BK bus, so it took me much further into SI than I had hoped to travel...

The backtrack from ETC back to Brooklyn is tedious, the via NJ expresses are my favorite express runs in the system, but man I do NOT look forward to the backtrack back to Brooklyn.

If the SIM4 ran off-peak like the SIM2, it wouldn't be too bad because it's about 20 minutes from the ETC to the expressway. (The old X17 stopped running at 4:16pm from Huguenot, which was about 4:30pm from the ETC IIRC so that might've been too early for you)

2 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

Never knew that there was a "Sunnyside 33rd St." code for the Q60. Our bus just got short-turned there due to bunching.

Some of them are scheduled to short turn there IIRC. They swing around under 33 Street, park right by 35 facing east, then start picking up from aviation high school.

They used to have some turn at 48 Street, wonder what happened to that

7 minutes ago, danielhg121 said:

They put the MTA New York City Bus decal anywhere if they f**k up which clearly the person applying this one on did lol. He's supposed to put he Wifi and USB decals under the vent thingy and to the right.

They did it like this with the Novas because they're trying to save that upper portion for ad placement. 

As for the XN40s/60s, all the vents and stuff back there caused it to get placed in the middle of the rear. 

On 10/10/2018 at 6:32 PM, JeremiahC99 said:

How is a laptop with an i5 Processor running with >2.0 gHz speed overkill to run a server handling the manegement of the largest bus fleet in the nation?

Also, do you have any bright ideas to stop the morning knockout of BusTime that does not involve having to pick up gaming PCs or any other powerful PCs from Best Buy?

Nobody is running servers on laptops, lol. In fact, a company using consumer-grade equipment to do its work would be a very poor user of technology.

Run your stuff off the cloud; AWS, Azure, Google Cloud. No one needs to be spending money on their own server maintenance, especially the MTA, because that's not their job description. If the cloud is good enough for the feds it's good enough for everyone.

Edited by bobtehpanda

21 hours ago, Orion6025 said:

Some of them are scheduled to short turn there IIRC. They swing around under 33 Street, park right by 35 facing east, then start picking up from aviation high school.

They used to have some turn at 48 Street, wonder what happened to that

Don't see any 33rd St short turns on the schedule. Are they school trippers?

1 hour ago, Lil 57 said:

Don't see any 33rd St short turns on the schedule. Are they school trippers?

I say that because daily, the same runs would turn at 33 street. Sometimes, buses would also just drop off @ 33 street, even though there was no bunching, on bustime too.

some certainly could be school trippers (i've seen a lone bus holding outside the stop there occasionally around 2-3 PM), but not all are. I often would run down from the 7 to get an RTS on a short turn around 5:00 pm

Some shuttle bus observations this weekend:

(Q) shuttle: 

SI Division: Yukon, Castelton, Charleston

BX Division: West Farms, Gun Hill

BK Division: All Brooklyn Depots

(3) shuttle:

QNS Division: Queens Village, Jamaica,

(L) Shuttle:

BK Division: Noticeably I've saw a few FB and ENY XD40's deadheading to Williamsburg today.

If I'm missing any other Divisions that worked the shuttle please feel free to correct me.

51 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Some shuttle bus observations this weekend:

(Q) shuttle: 

SI Division: Yukon, Castelton, Charleston

BX Division: West Farms, Gun Hill

(3) shuttle:

QNS Division: Queens Village, Jamaica,

(L) Shuttle:

BK Division: Noticeably I've saw a few FB and ENY XD40's deadheading to Williamsburg today.

If I'm missing any other Divisions that worked the shuttle please feel free to correct me.

Surprised Manhattan div didn't get any shuttle work this weekend, on Saturday at least two Quill RTS's were running with on the M72 and one on layover on either the M12 or 20. From what I heard, Quill doesn't need to use RTS's on weekends. I don't ride Quill 40FT routes often so I wouldn't know if that's the case or not lol.

Edited by trainfan22