BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

I'm beginning to think that some AM S89 trips are interlined with the SIM9/22. Because all but one bus is a Prevost/MCI. Guess we can call the S89 the X89 (or SIJ89)😂

Either that or they’re making the S89 be more on par with the (NJT) routes out of Port Authority. 🤷‍♂️

17 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

I don’t know why the b68 bus is showing a 20 to 30 mintue wait time. It’s really unacceptable. 

FYI.

Service Change  Posted: 10/16/2018 10:18AM 

B68 buses are detoured because of construction on Neptune Av and Stillwell Av.

Detour is as follows:

Stillwell Terminal-bound: Via Brighton Beach Av, left on W 5 St, right on Surf Av, right on Stillwell Av, right on Mermaid Av and then resume their regular route.

Corresponding stops will be made along detour route.

It's probably all jammed up in that area.

Edited by Statty

14 minutes ago, Statty said:

FYI.

Service Change  Posted: 10/16/2018 10:18AM 

B68 buses are detoured because of construction on Neptune Av and Stillwell Av.

Detour is as follows:

Stillwell Terminal-bound: Via Brighton Beach Av, left on W 5 St, right on Surf Av, right on Stillwell Av, right on Mermaid Av and then resume their regular route.

Corresponding stops will be made along detour route.

It's probably all jammed up in that area.

I understand construction can affect travel times but I had issues with this route showing lack of performance on being on time. 

What the heck is going on in Coney Island? They got a good chunk of Surf av completely blocked off (closed to all traffic, both directions) west of the Cyclones ballpark too.... Don't know / Couldn't tell how far the construction extends along Surf in that direction upon quickly glancing at it.....

But yeah, (I) Went to Nathan's this past Saturday & soon as I descended onto street level (Mermaid av exit/entrance) from the subway, I saw a B36 making a right off Mermaid & down along onto Stillwell.... Say to myself, wtf is this about now... Then I eventually reach Surf av., look to my right, and saw the barricaded mess in that direction....

Usually I have good luck catching the B68 at Mermaid Loop, but I had to wait about 15 mins. before one even showed up... Dude went on layover... Then 2 more B68's (one right behind the other) arrived 3 minutes later.... One of them was parked by the B82 shelter (which is behind the B68 shelter, for those that don't know).... From the time I walked to the bus stop after I got my food to the time the B68 I got on (ended up being that initial B68 that arrived) left the terminal, I did not see one B82.... One dude stood at the B82 shelter for about 5 minutes, then walked off (somewhere)..... Anyway, I'd say that elapsed amt. of time in question was about 1/2 hour..... Come to think of it, I only saw one B74 in that same amt. of time....

9 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

I'm beginning to think that some AM S89 trips are interlined with the SIM9/22. Because all but one bus is a Prevost/MCI. Guess we can call the S89 the X89 (or SIJ89)😂

Negative all S89 trips are straight runs. They are not interlined/misc with ANYTHING else. 

There is strict FDOT regulations that need to followed, mainly about vehicle time. I forget exactly what it is but being it's interstate and not intrastate there is a set limit of hours worked by each OP on the s89.

1 hour ago, trife86 said:

Negative all S89 trips are straight runs. They are not interlined/misc with ANYTHING else. 

There is strict FDOT regulations that need to followed, mainly about vehicle time. I forget exactly what it is but being it's interstate and not intrastate there is a set limit of hours worked by each OP on the s89.

Is that the same for the via NJ express bus drivers?

Edited by Lil 57

39 minutes ago, danielhg121 said:

Why do s/b Bx39 buses say Soundview Ave Pugsley Ave instead of Clasons Pt?

You mean the Bx36? In any case, the Bx36 doesn't even terminate in Soundview. That terminal is in Castle Hill, east of Soundview (and Clason Point). 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

Hi, everyone! 

Any Q66 riders here? Why is this bus so unreliable? Jammed packed and always bunched. I wonder if Mr. Byford will look to address this when he takes a look at the Queens bus network. I was excited to hear the possibility of SBS on this route but it looks like that won't happen anytime soon. 

26 minutes ago, shiznit1987 said:

Hi, everyone! 

Any Q66 riders here? Why is this bus so unreliable? Jammed packed and always bunched. I wonder if Mr. Byford will look to address this when he takes a look at the Queens bus network. I was excited to hear the possibility of SBS on this route but it looks like that won't happen anytime soon. 

Traffic in the Flushing area, poor dispatching, inadequate runtime could be possible reasons. 

2 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

Is that the same for the via NJ express bus drivers?

I would believe so being that pick up and drop off in NY, once you service a different state you need to follow Federal regulations on road time / rest / hours per week work.

You can travel through another state like the MTA busses via NJ to NY as long as there is no pickup or drop off in NJ it doesn't apply. It's something silly like can't be over 10 or 11 hour spread per day (not even work hours but spread time) been awhile since I touched the 89 so I don't recall exactly what it was.

2 hours ago, danielhg121 said:

Why do s/b Bx39 buses say Soundview Ave Pugsley Ave instead of Clasons Pt?

1 hour ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

You mean the Bx36? In any case, the Bx36 doesn't even terminate in Soundview. That terminal is in Castle Hill, east of Soundview (and Clason Point). 

Nope, the Bx39. It was recently changed to avoid confusion between the original Clasons Point terminal and the Clasons Point ferry terminal. IIRC the Bx27 got the update as well.

On the new Xcelsiors (as well as the Novas that just got this feature): when a bus route is programmed, does the screen open as well with the route and announcements (there's one time it was a B52 without the screen) ?

Edited by Calvin

55 minutes ago, Calvin said:

On the new Xcelsiors (as well as the Novas that just got this feature): when a bus route is programmed, does the screen open as well with the route and announcements (there's one time it was a B52 without the screen) ?

Some buses aren't programmed right away, and most times when a route starts service at the first stop the announcement goes "this is (route number (ex.54) ) to".

Edited by MysteriousBtrain

On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 7:28 PM, shiznit1987 said:

Hi, everyone! 

In my opinion (and I've been saying this for years now), there are too many trips running to Queensboro Plaza.....

Personally, I would have all trips running between 51st/Northern & Flushing, maintaining current service levels.... Being more realistic however, during the rush, I would have every 3rd bus (instead of every other bus) running the full route..... The lion's share of Q66 overall ridership is in between Woodside & Flushing....

Edited by B35 via Church

Why do B/O's drive so slow when another bus guy is on the bus with them. My S57 trip took almost an hour and a half today. I know they don't want to go over the speed limit but when you're driving so slow and a half hour late, that makes passengers dislike the bus even more.

Edited by Lil 57