BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

At least today is an observed holiday for most people.

But in all seriousness waiting 2 years for a new express bus order is completely unacceptable. Hope the (MTA) can put an emergency RFP to order some express buses at once. 

Emergency RFP, I don't think the MTA Bus MCI's are in that bad of shape, just this random MCI broke down... it happens. I seen photos posted on here of a Prevost broke down with liquid leaking out of it, and those aren't even close to retirement age.

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

Emergency RFP, I don't think the MTA Bus MCI's are in that bad of shape, just this random MCI broke down... it happens. I seen photos posted on here of a Prevost broke down with liquid leaking out of it, and those aren't even close to retirement age.

Oh yea. That Ulmer Park bus that’s circulating around.  That’s a oil leak. You got a point about the Emergency RFP. However, u got some old 2800’s holding strong while others are breaking down like hell.  

10 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Well that’s easy for you to say. You don’t ride them daily to see the overcrowding and missing buses. The real issue is maintenance or rather lack there of. Combine that with the fact this contract may not be finalized for a year or more, then the time to build the buses and get them on the road... That contract needs to be finalized sooner rather than later.

On 11/12/2018 at 11:04 PM, trainfan22 said:

At least at CP, more than half the express fleet is from 2001-2005. They are either approaching or past the MTA's guidelines for bus lifespan. 

13 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

@East New York Do you know why MTA has decided to stop giving the LTD treatment to buses and why they're so fixated on SBS?

I'm sure he'll give you other answers in addition to what I state, but I talked about SBS in a little bit in my meeting because I've always been curious about who funds those nice countdown clocks (the big ones that list several buses, not the lollipop ones - those are federally funded - the lollipop ones are not). One big reason is federal dollars. SBS lines are treated like BRT lines (Bus Rapid Transit), so the (MTA) gets federal monies for buses, and those fancy countdown clocks too.  That's one reason they gladly boast that riders can enjoy their newest buses on that line.  Additionally, they can market SBS as a "new service". It's really just LTD service with bus lanes, traffic signal priority and all door boarding, but it looks like a new service to the average rider.  

This article should help you, but in short, SBS lines are a cheap alternative to the (MTA) creating more subway lines.

https://untappedcities.com/2013/07/31/why-nyc-select-bus-service-is-not-bus-rapid-transit-brt-system/

Federal monies is important because it means that the (MTA) has to spend less money, so it saves them money.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

I keep reading all this 2001-2002 MCI bashing and though i agree with y'all (they really should go), the chances of getting a ride on one randomly are kinda low. They comprise only 11% of CP's express fleet (1% of the fleet are 2001s, 10% are 2002s) so i feel like the issue is being blown up a bit more than it's worth. I don't mean to be antagonistic or anything (I'm long past arguing or debating people Lol) but those buses are basically an afterthought in the grand acheme of College point express buses. Ditto for eastchester (4%), castleton (6%). Now if we're talking about the s89/YU or  baisley (19%), that's a different story...

11 minutes ago, Orion6025 said:

I keep reading all this 2001-2002 MCI bashing and though i agree with y'all (they really should go), the chances of getting a ride on one randomly are kinda low. They comprise only 11% of CP's express fleet (1% of the fleet are 2001s, 10% are 2002s) so i feel like the issue is being blown up a bit more than it's worth. I don't mean to be antagonistic or anything (I'm long past arguing or debating people Lol) but those buses are basically an afterthought in the grand acheme of College point express buses. Ditto for eastchester (4%), castleton (6%). Now if we're talking about the s89/YU or  baisley (19%), that's a different story...

Actually they are being used quite regularly because some depots don't have a choice.  Staten Island needs every bus they can get right now, so whatever is available is going out and the passengers definitely notice it.  We track what's out every day and they are out regularly now as opposed to in the past. It's not about bashing. The reality is the buses are uncomfortable, seats are sunken, shocks are shot, signage is hard to read and they don't have the same amenities as the newer fleet.  If they were better maintained it would be a different story, but most of those buses went through hell on Staten Island.  I ride express buses that are now 11 - 13 years old and they're fine because they are maintained.

20 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

The reality is the buses are uncomfortable, seats are sunken

Definitely... Last time i had 2204 one of the seat cushions was quite loose. And that was almost 2 years ago by this point LMAO. I recall the bus' brakes locked up or something on the expressway shortly after my ride but once they repaired it they reportedly gave it a deep cleaning afterwards so hopefully it's better...

22 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Actually they are being used quite regularly because some depots don't have a choice

I don't monitor express buses as religiously as it seems you and your organization does but at least tracking express buses for my transit-fanning purposes, they've been using them like that for a while (Frankly the only thing that's changed IMO is CP no longer uses theirs on off peak hours, but that's partially because they sent some units elsewhere or scrapped them). It's just a matter of what units are assigned where.

19 minutes ago, Orion6025 said:

I don't monitor express buses as religiously as it seems you and your organization does but at least tracking express buses for my transit-fanning purposes, they've been using them like that for a while (Frankly the only thing that's changed IMO is CP no longer uses theirs on off peak hours, but that's partially because they sent some units elsewhere or scrapped them). It's just a matter of what units are assigned where.

That's part of what advocacy groups do... When monitoring service, you look at cleanliness of fleet, how old the fleet is and what sort of impact it's having on service (if any).  For example, Baisley Park was having serious problems, so they were using hybrids regularly.  We asked that this practice stop and so transfers were made of the older 2XXXs so that they could make service and try to fix some of the other buses that were OOS.  Not ideal but better than them using hybrids, that's for sure.  On Staten Island, there are daily discussions about the fleet because of the severe overcrowding.  There simply aren't more buses available, so whatever is around will be used to make service.  

In the Bronx they are also used, but riders don't like them and complain about that and dirty buses (Eastchester Depot).  We've been having on going discussions about cleanliness as well. In fact today, we spent a few minutes during our conference call talking about maintenance at Ulmer Park since it has been negatively impacting service.  That is being worked on along with other changes to better meet service and have buses coming on-time.  

Believe it or not, I can't believe how many people complain about Wi-Fi, but it's become almost a daily complaint so I had to bring it up. lol People like having it so they will look into it with the vendor.

Here's an example of an advocacy group for local buses @Orion6025:

Advocacy Group Says Most City Buses Are Struggling To Make The Grade

February 8, 2018 at 9:04 pm

Filed Under:Al Jones, Bus Turnaround Coalition, Local TV, MTA

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Most city buses are struggling to make the grade, a recent study claims.

The BX-29 is one of only two bus routes in the entire city to get a grade of ‘A’ from the Bus Turnaround Coalition.

Riders will tell you it’s pretty good.

“Clean and everything, and they go fast,” one woman said.

“It’s pretty good because it doesn’t take that long to go to the train station where I need to go,” another added.

The flip side is the BX-39. It’s one of 89 routes in the city that got an ‘F.’

“Sometimes it’s kinda slow, I wait awhile,” one woman told 1010 WINS’ Al Jones.

“It should just be on schedule, you don’t know what time to get out there, especially winter time,” another rider said.

Suggestions for improving service include more peak-service buses, enforce designated bus lanes, and loading buses at both doors

Source: https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2018/02/08/mta-buses/

----

I took a Bx29 trip from City Island after taking a BxM8 trip there, and would concur with the above assessment. The bus was prompt, clean, had nice big screens with automated announcements. It was a pleasant ride.  Unfortunately, my next BxM8 trip back to Manhattan was not that night. lol Bus was 20 minutes late...

23 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Good question. It must’ve been recently, because I took it a month or so ago and I don’t recall it doing that.

Yeah, I was checking the transit app and noticed the diverted line, then I checked BusTime.  Sometimes the traffic in the evening could back up 6th ave going to the tunnel. I wonder if this somehow helps it get through Canal St faster.

21 minutes ago, N6 Limited said:

Yeah, I was checking the transit app and noticed the diverted line, then I checked BusTime.  Sometimes the traffic in the evening could back up 6th ave going to the tunnel. I wonder if this somehow helps it get through Canal St faster.

That has to be it because otherwise getting through Canal can take several lights.

19 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

@East New York Do you know why MTA has decided to stop giving the LTD treatment to buses and why they're so fixated on SBS?

Other than what was mentioned by VG8, the main reason is limited service has become obsolete at this point and it no longer fits in the MTA business plan. Eventually, SBS will slow down as MTA introduces all-door-boarding for the entire fleet. In the meanwhile any new service or significant changes to a LTD route will result in SBS service. The main reasons are to reduce dwell times. 

In short, there would be no point in starting new limited routes in this day and age, as any and all new limited and high capacity routes will be SBS and in the future it won’t even make a difference because all-door boarding will be introduced. 

On 11/11/2018 at 11:44 PM, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

I'm gonna tell you what you told me 5 years ago, "It's the same shifting. The only difference is the lack of HVAC." That's what I was trying to tell you about the 4800 XD40s with LBSS. 

Huh??? Lack of an HVAC? (Heating Ventalation and Cooling) That’s illegal for one, and all transit buses as well as any on road vehicles for that matter come with an HVAC. Where on Earth would you get an idea like that?

I will check the full C40 specs and mods for the entire production run and see if anything pops out. We are the only agency in the world with 3rd gen New Flyer low floors, and they did play with the specs a bit. The 570+ numbered buses were originally supposed to be Orion VII’s as well and it was an emergency production add in. 

Because these are 3rd Gen buses however, they are almost identical “operationally” to the XN40’s.

On 11/12/2018 at 9:34 AM, Future ENY OP said:

At least today is an observed holiday for most people.

But in all seriousness waiting 2 years for a new express bus order is completely unacceptable. Hope the (MTA) can put an emergency RFP to order some express buses at once. 

What’s the big deal fellas? Nothing is new here and this is a regular order cycle. Why issue an emergency RFP when the express RFP already went out? The decision has already been made on the next express buses and it will be made public in less than 6 months. 

There are 32 really old MCI’s, and then there are the 3000 series buses which are up for retirement now anyway.

It’s handled. 😉

On 11/13/2018 at 7:44 PM, trainfan22 said:

I rode a weird sounding RTS today. I been on DD50 RTS more times than I can remember and I never been on one that sounded like this one.

EDIT: here's a small sound clip of the bus

Sounds like a hole or leak in the turbocharged, or the turbocharger could be going bad. What bus was this? And OMG is disgusting in the back!!! 🤢

7 hours ago, Coney Island Av said:

Speaking of RTS, will any of the units that were/are retired be reactivated for the (L) shutdown? ECH apparently still has a handful of RTS that were said to be retired/scrapped, some dating back from summer. 

Originally yes, however now there will probably still be some used when needed and probably during the winter. We will have at least 132 brand new buses that will be used solely for the (L) shuttle. There are only supposed to be 25 RTS’ remaining by the end of next year.