BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Just now, SevenEleven said:

Bad news bro.  😂

I honestly figured they were gonna do that to keep Meredith closed weekends. I just feel like most Castleton drivers don't like express. I feel the other depots, especially Meredith and Charleston drivers move them buses 10x better overall. Yukon drivers are pretty good too. Castleton seems to have all the rookies on those weekend express trips, and most of them drive 20mph. Many times I've had X1s beat X10s. And when I ride express buses, I'm riding for enjoyment lmaoo, so I want a driver who's hauling or at least moving, not cruising. 

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, East New York said:

As Cait said I’m general artics, should not be out in the snow. However there is a VERY little known fact that I will point out for the first time. 

New Flyer artics have 10 tires. 

Nova artics have 8 which provides for a much smoother ride and this will over all make the bus last longer. However, you couldn’t pay me to drive one in the snow. The center axel had 1 tire on each side that is wider than a standard tire. This automatically reduces traction to near 0. On turns, pulling in and out of stops is going to disable these twice as fast as a New Flyer which has a lot more rubber trying to contact the pavement. 

Boy If you don’t sit your ass down somewhere! Like really? I’ve had it. You are getting out of hand, and what you are doing is considered slander. You are speaking on something which you know nothing of. Prelim reports say the frame is fine.

Excuse my language again everyone, but no one asked for your damn non-factor ass OPINION.  I however am a mechanic, Transit Consultant, bus owner and business owner. Leave this shit to us professionals please. You don’t even need to comment other than an apology to Novabus and APTA. How dare you. 

And in the words of the MTA, “It is under investigation.” 

Carry on and again, excuse my language but I’m done being nice and politically correct. Final warning. Suspension is next. And you will NOT be notified. 

As far as 9505 I’m sick and tired of those rumors too. Stop with the assumptions people. You all are NOT reading either. I commented on 5477 and 9505 in more than one thread. Who TF started the rumor it was totaled???? I’ve have pics forever, as in from the moment it happened. Several angles, day and night. I just decided to watch, read, take notes, to look at you people make shit up. It stops NOW! 

F9B57F33-9428-4118-9275-6F815403DAAD.jpeg

These buses are fixable. It’s ok to let it out. Because you got to set it straight. 

Look at 8017 when it got burned in the back by a said mattress. If 8017 was fixable, so can 5477 & 9505. I wish i could have said the same for 7430 & 7442. 

But I do have a question. What is the status of 8126? SILive had pics of it when it was involved in an accident. The way I saw it, it had a small bent in the frame. Many said that it could have been totaled but I find this bus very fixable & return. What can you say about small frame damages?

11 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

SIM3c, SIM30. SIM3c was an absolute joke when I rode it, and when I rode the SIM30 it was amazing. I'm taking the SIM30 if it's peak and I'm taking the ferry if it's off peak. When the SIM33c goes into action I will be on that as long as Castleton doesn't have it. 

Where do you want it to go to? Meredith is a weekday only Depot unless they wanna open Meredith 7 days a week to supplement the SIM33c

3 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

None.

And now that I don't take public transportation to/from work anymore, it means that I can't take the LIRR to Penn (or to Atlantic & backtrack somewhere to Lwr. Manhattan) & joyride the things during the PM rush.... Which leaves the weekends....

----------------------

Are all the SIM's running on black friday, or is the MTA on a weekend schedule?

NYCT express buses will be on a regular/reduced weekday schedule (depending on the line). The Bronx expresses are on a Saturday schedule (and everything else on an hourly schedule).  The subway is on a regular weekday schedule.

17 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

I'm curious what SIM routes people have used so far. I've personally used the SIM2, SIM3, SIM3C, SIM4, SIM4C, SIM6, SIM8, SIM25, SIM26, SIM30, SIM32, and SIM33 (with the SIM4 and SIM8 being my primary routes).

SIM1C, SIM3C, and SIM4C.

Edited by Lil 57

22 hours ago, East New York said:

As Cait said I’m general artics, should not be out in the snow. However there is a VERY little known fact that I will point out for the first time. 

New Flyer artics have 10 tires. 

Nova artics have 8 which provides for a much smoother ride and this will over all make the bus last longer. However, you couldn’t pay me to drive one in the snow. The center axel had 1 tire on each side that is wider than a standard tire. This automatically reduces traction to near 0. On turns, pulling in and out of stops is going to disable these twice as fast as a New Flyer which has a lot more rubber trying to contact the pavement. 

Boy If you don’t sit your ass down somewhere! Like really? I’ve had it. You are getting out of hand, and what you are doing is considered slander. You are speaking on something which you know nothing of. Prelim reports say the frame is fine.

Excuse my language again everyone, but no one asked for your damn non-factor ass OPINION.  I however am a mechanic, Transit Consultant, bus owner and business owner. Leave this shit to us professionals please. You don’t even need to comment other than an apology to Novabus and APTA. How dare you. 

And in the words of the MTA, “It is under investigation.” 

Carry on and again, excuse my language but I’m done being nice and politically correct. Final warning. Suspension is next. And you will NOT be notified. 

As far as 9505 I’m sick and tired of those rumors too. Stop with the assumptions people. You all are NOT reading either. I commented on 5477 and 9505 in more than one thread. Who TF started the rumor it was totaled???? I’ve have pics forever, as in from the moment it happened. Several angles, day and night. I just decided to watch, read, take notes, to look at you people make shit up. It stops NOW! 

F9B57F33-9428-4118-9275-6F815403DAAD.jpeg

This is why I’ve been rather quiet in the subway threads. I let the active RTO folks make the corrections. If I still have questions I tap the minds of present or retired RTO and CED supervisors. I see so many misconceptions or outright bogus claims in the subway threads that I had no doubt that it was happening in the surface forum too. Thanks for clearing things up here. Carry on.

1 minute ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Just saw 3168 from CP getting towed on the LIE. Perhaps that's why my earlier bus was missing today. 

Dropping like flies...

Which bus was missing? A QM1? They had issues this morning on a few lines from what I could tell. You have guys taking vacation and I'm almost certain that they aren't filling all of those trips.

4 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Which bus was missing? A QM1? They had issues this morning on a few lines from what I could tell. You have guys taking vacation and I'm almost certain that they aren't filling all of those trips.

A QM5 actually. I forget which exact run,  but it was just after peak 

2 minutes ago, S78 via Hylan said:

Any of you ever get on express bus and the B/O asks you where you’re going? 

Yeah it happens a lot especially if there aren't many people.  For example, if a driver wants to skip a portion of the route, they'll ask this way they don't waste time.  The only thing that annoys me is when they ask after I have sat down and went to the back. Then I have to yell at the top of my lungs or come up to the front.  

4 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Yeah it happens a lot especially if there aren't many people.  For example, if a driver wants to skip a portion of the route, they'll ask this way they don't waste time.  The only thing that annoys me is when they ask after I have sat down and went to the back. Then I have to yell at the top of my lungs or come up to the front.  

I’ve noticed that too, but she asked as soon I boarded. The only thing that bugged me was that she didn’t pull into the stand, forcing me to walk to the bus meanwhile there were no other buses or any obstructions occupying the bus stop.

Edited by S78 via Hylan

18 minutes ago, S78 via Hylan said:

I’ve noticed that too, but she asked as soon I boarded. The only thing that bugged me was that she didn’t pull into the stand, forcing me to walk to the bus meanwhile there were no other buses or any obstructions occupying the bus stop.

She was one of those then...  You didn't look like a regular or you're not a regular, so that's why she asked, likely to ensure that you were getting on the right bus. Some people get on the wrong bus and then pay $6.50. There are giveaways to the folks that don't ride often, like getting up and going to the front and standing in the aisle without ringing the bell when the bus isn't anywhere near the stop.  That one always makes me chuckle a bit because no regulars do that unless they just don't have a clue.  People don't like being banged into either in the aisle and it's rude. I get really pissed off when people come banging into me without saying excuse me, especially if I'm napping and they change seats or something abruptly while the lights are out.  You see on the subway and the local bus, people have a habit of just bum rushing on and not saying excuse me or showing any etiquette. Of course this varies, but I mean in general.  You have rude people on the express bus too, but there's sort of an understanding that people are to be courteous or rather more courteous than they tend to be on the subway and local bus.  Same deal with Metro-North for those that know better. Case in point, the other night on the BxM1, this guy gets on at 91st and 3rd.  Clearly was not a regular because he made a whole scene about paying. Finally gave someone money to pay for the $6.50.  Eventually someone must've become pissed off because he was yapping and told him to move elsewhere so he came to the back while the bus was on the expressway and I was napping. I wake up to see who just brushed against me.  I let it go since I knew he wasn't a regular but then I could hear him through my earbuds, so I turn around and give him a look. He didn't get the hint, so I had to ask him to keep his voice down and then he apologized.  If you must talk on the express bus, it's usually in a low voice and conversations are to be kept sort so as not to disturb others.  On occasion there are big mouths that are simply rude with poor etiquette and they are regulars, but that isn't the norm.

There are other routines that are understood when you ride for a while, like not reclining on someone's legs when you sit in front of them out or courtesy, or not skipping a line if one has been formed.  Lines will vary according to the stop, and regulars know where to stand out of habit.  Even if there isn't one formed, you get on the bus based on who arrived at the stop first in most cases, and you may even allow someone to just go ahead you out of courtesy if you're both regulars and the bus stops in front of them.  I used to get the where are you going here and there when I was younger on lines that I didn't use often.  The thinking is that either a more older crowd rides the express bus (which is true to an extent) or if you're younger, you tend to be more put together.  If you ride regularly you'll get what I'm saying. It's like when I wait in the morning for the express bus or Metro-North shuttle bus. Sometimes people aren't sure which I'm using based on my style of dress I guess and I've had people say that I look like one of those Metro-North types. LOL There are definitely some of them that take the train with me in the morning that are look very preppy or they have the Whole Foods bag (I usually do). lol

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

27 minutes ago, S78 via Hylan said:

Any of you ever get on express bus and the B/O asks you where you’re going? 

I was taking the SIM1C to the QM11 last month to my grandma's house from school and when the SIM1C pulled up, he just asked me if I was going to Manhattan. Probery thought I was waiting for the S78/79 since I'm a student.

I always fear the day when an express bus B/O passes by me, not picking me up because I'm a student and they assume that I'm waiting for the local bus.

8 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

I was taking the SIM1C to the QM11 last month to my grandma's house from school and when the SIM1C pulled up, he just asked me if I was going to Manhattan. Probery thought I was waiting for the S78/79 since I'm a student.

I always fear the day when an express bus B/O passes by me, not picking me up because I'm a student and they assume that I'm waiting for the local bus.

Well it does happen.  If you don't know where to stand, they will assume you are waiting for the local bus.  This has been addressed at some stops where the local bus and the express buses stop, but can't always be dealt with in all cases, so you just have to step lively or make it clear that you want the bus when it comes.

Just now, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Well it does happen.  If you don't know where to stand, they will assume you are waiting for the local bus.  This has been addressed at some stops where the local bus and the express buses stop, but can't always be dealt with in all cases, so you just have to step lively or make it clear that you want the bus when it comes.

Hasn't happened to me yet, fortunately. I always wave my MetroCard out like I'm hailing a taxi if I want the express bus.

3 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

Hasn't happened to me yet, fortunately. I always wave my MetroCard out like I'm hailing a taxi if I want the express bus.

LOL I see people do that and I always laugh.  I only do that if it's clear that the guy may pass me over, and that only happens on occasion on lines that I don't use very often.  You do that to a regular though and you'll get a tongue lashing. I get pissed when that happens.  If I don't say something, I definitely give a look as I did the other day with my QM6 when I was taking trips checking service.

1 minute ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

LOL I see people do that and I always laugh.  I only do that if it's clear that the guy may pass me over, and that only happens on occasion on lines that I don't use very often.

If I'm in the city I don't do that since the express bus stops are always separate from the local bus stops. I only do that if I'm at a stop that is shared with a local bus and no one else is waiting for the express bus.

If I'm in the city I don't do that since the express bus stops are always separate from the local bus stops. I only do that if I'm at a stop that is shared with a local bus and no one else is waiting for the express bus.

In Riverdale, all of the express bus stops are shared with local buses and the Hudson Raillink and there's a procedure for each stop depending on the stop. It's very interesting to watch.  At some stops there's a line for the express buses. At others there aren't and people just gather in a spot as the bus comes.  The Metro-North people never make lines until the bus comes or it's a stop only where Metro-North stops which is only a handful of stops.  For the local buses they will make lines at certain stops and not at others.

1 minute ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

In Riverdale, all of the express bus stops are shared with local buses and the Hudson Raillink and there's a procedure for each stop depending on the stop. It's very interesting to watch.  At some stops there's a line for the express buses. At others there aren't and people just gather in a spot as the bus comes.  The Metro-North people never make lines until the bus comes or it's a stop only where Metro-North stops which is only a handful of stops.  For the local buses they will make lines at certain stops and not at others.

In the city and in most places in Staten Island, there's almost always a line for express buses. And people would go off on you if you skipped their spot in line or if the bus doesn't stop directly in front of the bus stop. I remember taking the X14 on summer and the B/O stopped behind an X15 at the bus stop to save time and people made angry faces at him.

In the city and in most places in Staten Island, there's almost always a line for express buses. And people would go off on you if you skipped their spot in line or if the bus doesn't stop directly in front of the bus stop. I remember taking the X14 on summer and the B/O stopped behind an X15 at the bus stop to save time and people made angry faces at him.

LOL On Staten Island, depending on the line, I would usually wait, but sometimes I wouldn't.  My motto was STEP LIVELY, and if you don't move it, I'm getting on and whoever doesn't like it tough ****.  You wanna try me go for it. They can mumble all they want which is all they would do, but I'm 6'4" and fully capable of handling myself. lol

On the Riverdale lines, even if I wasn't there first, I'm usually allowed to go first.  I've been riding a long time and the non-regulars that ride occasionally know the deal.  If I'm in a good mood, I'll let people go ahead of me. I've been doing that more often now that I started the advocacy group. I usually don't care as long as I get my spot.