BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

1 minute ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

LOL On Staten Island, depending on the line, I would usually wait, but sometimes I wouldn't.  My motto was STEP LIVELY, and if you don't move it, I'm getting on and whoever doesn't like it tough ****.  You wanna try me go for me. They can mumble all they want which is all they would do, but I'm 6'4" and fully capable of handling myself. lol

I also remember at 5th and 40th there would be one line. Even though the X10B, X14, and X12/42 were stopping at the time. I needed the X10B or the X14 to go home and when one of them pulled up, confusion would rise about who was going on and who wasn't because some people would just stand there without saying a word.

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Lil 57 said:

I also remember at 5th and 40th there would be one line. Even though the X10B, X14, and X12/42 were stopping at the time. I needed the X10B or the X14 to go home and when one of them pulled up, confusion would rise about who was going on and who wasn't because some people would just stand there without saying a word.

Yeah and that's why I would just go because if you wait too long while people are standing there confused, you can risk the bus leaving you there, which has happened and let me tell you I was not a happy camper.  What can happen is if the driver doesn't see any regular faces and he doesn't see anyone stepping towards the bus, he may just speed up again and keep going.  For the most part it's usually the same people riding with some changes here and there, so after a while you know who is who when riding and the habits and who sits where.  There's a lot more familiarity and routine with the express bus. The drivers generally know who gets off where and while that may change from time to time it's generally similar for the most part.  Over time you sort of build up a badge of honor. I've heard some passengers talk about how long they've been riding.

Years ago our express bus broke down on the Broadway Bridge.  Well this lady goes, I'm been riding the express bus for 13 years. I'm not riding the City bus.  I laughed at her saying that out loud with no hesitation. We waited an hour until the next bus came.

3 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Yeah and that's why I would just go because if you wait too long while people are standing there confused, you can risk the bus leaving you there, which has happened and let me tell you I was not a happy camper.  What can happen is if the driver doesn't see any regular faces and he doesn't see anyone stepping towards the bus, he may just speed up again and keep going.  For the most part it's usually the same people riding with some changes here and there, so after a while you know who is who when riding and the habits and who sits where.  There's a lot more familiarity and routine with the express bus. The drivers generally know who gets off where and while that may change from time to time it's generally similar for the most part.  Over time you sort of build up a badge of honor. I've heard some passengers talk about how long they've been riding.

Years ago our express bus broke down on the Broadway Bridge.  Well this lady goes, I'm been riding the express bus for 13 years. I'm not riding the City bus.  I laughed at her saying that out loud with no hesitation. We waited an hour until the next bus came.

Don't the B/O's change every few months because of a new pick, which means that you can't have the same bus driver forever?

Edited by Lil 57

15 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

Don't the B/O's change every few months because of a new pick, which means that you can't have the same bus driver forever?

There aren't that many picks though, so for the Fall pick, it lasts for several months.  All of the buses I take in the morning at the moment, the drivers know me.  I'm only cool with a few of them though. The rest I can't stand to be honest and I've been taking their buses for years, but the ones I'm cool with, even if they haven't seen me in a while we'll chat it up for a bit before I get off or they'll say good seeing you again. 

There's one guy who is so damn slow and a lot of passengers complain about him. He's always LATE and for a few weeks he was going the wrong way.  In fact I had to walk to another stop to get him and I confronted him about it.  Before that we were fine but after that I pretty much had it when he acted as if he wasn't the scheduled bus when he clearly was.  He never apologized either.  Going the wrong way for TWO weeks! Crazy...

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

There aren't that many picks though, so for the Fall pick, it lasts for several months.  All of the buses I take in the morning at the moment, the drivers know me.  I'm only cool with a few of them though. The rest I can't stand to be honest and I've been taking their buses for years, but the ones I'm cool with, even if they haven't seen me in a while we'll chat it up for a bit before I get off or they'll say good seeing you again. 

There's one guy who is so damn slow and a lot of passengers complain about him. He's always LATE and for a few weeks he was going the wrong way.  In fact I had to walk to another stop to get him and I confronted him about it.  Before that we were fine but after that I pretty much had it when he acted as if he wasn't the scheduled bus when he clearly was.  He never apologized either.  Going the wrong way for TWO weeks! Crazy...

When in doubt, do the old route!

4 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

I was taking the SIM1C to the QM11 last month to my grandma's house from school and when the SIM1C pulled up, he just asked me if I was going to Manhattan. Probery thought I was waiting for the S78/79 since I'm a student.

I always fear the day when an express bus B/O passes by me, not picking me up because I'm a student and they assume that I'm waiting for the local bus.

Oh I deal with this everyday...

2 hours ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

Hey, does anyone know where I can look at Ridership statistics for each Queens Bus route? I'm thinking of a network redesign project and I'd like to have some research for it

http://web.mta.info/nyct/facts/ridership/

Check the very bottom of the page.

9 minutes ago, Orion6025 said:

What's the bus service plan for this friday going to be?

NYCT: Weekday schedule, however, SI limiteds (minus S89 and S93) and a few Queens limiteds don't run.

MTA Bus: Weekday schedule for local buses, some Queens limiteds don't run and express buses are on a "reduced schedule" (Basically every hour).

MTA Bus Schedules: http://web.mta.info/nyct/service/SpecialBusSchedules_11_2016.htm#Queens

Edited by Lil 57

20 hours ago, S78 via Hylan said:

Any of you ever get on express bus and the B/O asks you where you’re going? 

Yeah, put $2.75 in the farebox and I'll ask you real quick. The holiday season is here too, so a lot of tourists would get on the express thinking it's the local bus. 

On the real tho, I had someone get on the 3C a while back, drop $2.75 and played stupid when I told him that it was the express bus. 

1 hour ago, SevenEleven said:

Yeah, put $2.75 in the farebox and I'll ask you real quick. The holiday season is here too, so a lot of tourists would get on the express thinking it's the local bus. 

On the real tho, I had someone get on the 3C a while back, drop $2.75 and played stupid when I told him that it was the express bus. 

I’m not surprised.

Edited by S78 via Hylan

32 minutes ago, SevenEleven said:

Express bus? What's that? :lol:

4 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

NYCT: Weekday schedule, however, SI limiteds (minus S89 and S93) and a few Queens limiteds don't run.

MTA Bus: Weekday schedule for local buses, some Queens limiteds don't run and express buses are on a "reduced schedule" (Basically every hour).

MTA Bus Schedules: http://web.mta.info/nyct/service/SpecialBusSchedules_11_2016.htm#Queens

Sweet, thank you. Are those special bus schedules printed by the way or are they only available online

3 hours ago, SevenEleven said:

I'm actually making a movie for school about that, LOL.

3 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

Funny how perception can be changed so quickly....overheard a lot of M66s and M72 customers complain about the low-floors that's on the route now.....and how they want the RTSs back because there is more space...

......that's rather funny if you ask me.

Those buses feel smaller. That was the same complaint Staten Islanders had. I wouldn’t say that I wanted RTS buses back, but I can certainly understand the complaint.

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Those buses feel smaller. That was the same complaint Staten Islanders had. I wouldn’t say that I wanted RTS buses back, but I can certainly understand the complaint.

Well RTS and O5s you can really smash the people in there good, behind them is the NG and 3G, and the Nova's are horrible at packing people in due to layout.

Yeah the LFS has always felt very small and even compared to the orion hybrids it seems small. Speaking of the orion hybrids I remember when BK first got them when I was a kid and my family who lived by the Fresh Pond routes said the buses felt smaller than the RTS. I guess when you have an upstairs in the back and people act like they don't know what move all the way in means of course the buses are going to seem small, in my opinion.  My personally favorite buses with size and seats are the new flyer buses and the BE40. I rode the BE40 and those buses felt so spacious.