BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

1 hour ago, danielhg121 said:

I think the Bx6 shouldn't have gotten SBS treatment tbh. Don't get me wrong, the bus is quick but there didn't seem to be enough ridership to warrant it. Once it's past Hunts Point Av, ridership tanks and then the B/O's tokyo drift it out along Food Center Drive lol. I think even the local's garner more ridership than the SBS does and that's something.  

It should've gotten it for two reasons.  The boarding process at numerous stops was SLOW and PAINFUL.  Far too long... Second... Rampant fare beating... If you actually paid the fare on that bus you were in the minority.  I support it for that reason alone. All of these people just blatantly walking on past the fare box like it was the norm.  

• Replies 38.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/24/2018 at 7:46 PM, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Maybe the best standing room in the rear, but the front is terrible. This is coming from my days of riding the S79. If the seating was reversed, single seats behind the driver and the double near the doors, it would be the perfect layout. That layout makes the rear door area so crammed, and its so hard to maneuver through that part on a crowded bus. That's one reason why the Orion VII diesels feel so spacious on the low part, until you get to the rear part. 

Technically, even if the seating was reversed, it'd roughly be the same amount of space regardless of how you flip the arrangement of the seats. The only difference is that it would look different when you are boarding, but the space itself is pretty much the same. The XD40s and the NGs practically have the same front space, but the NGs have far better rear space overall.

5 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

Technically, even if the seating was reversed, it'd roughly be the same amount of space regardless of how you flip the arrangement of the seats. The only difference is that it would look different when you are boarding, but the space itself is pretty much the same. The XD40s and the NGs practically have the same front space, but the NGs have far better rear space overall.

Riding 4229, which has reversed seating the rear looks far more spacious. However the last row of seats are still double seats.

2 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

I heard you can spec the Xcelsiors to have either a fiberglass frame or stainless steel frame...is this true? 

Does the newer Xcelsiors have a stainless steel frame? I heard the DDOT Xcelsiors have this time of frame as well. 

Knowing TA and fuel costs they may have wen't with fiberglass. 

8 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

I heard you can spec the Xcelsiors to have either a fiberglass frame or stainless steel frame...is this true? 

Does the newer Xcelsiors have a stainless steel frame? I heard the DDOT Xcelsiors have this time of frame as well. 

4 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

There was speculation that previous orders were fiberglass and that 7484 and up have stainless steel, but I don't know if that's actually accurate.

There's no such thing as a fiberglass frame. They do have fiberglass parts on the bodies, however.

Xcelsiors originally came in carbon Steel frames. Stainless steel frames were introduced I believe in 2011-2012.

Edited by Cait Sith

10 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

There's no such thing as a fiberglass frame. They do have fiberglass parts on the bodies, however.

Xcelsiors originally came in carbon Steel frames. Stainless steel frames were introduced I believe in 2011-2012.

Oh so yeah that's it, carbon steel frames. I thought Xcelsiors came out in 2011...there's nothing earlier than that in service around the world. Also, I thought it was 2014-2015 the stainless steel frames were introduced. 

25 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Oh so yeah that's it, carbon steel frames. I thought Xcelsiors came out in 2011...there's nothing earlier than that in service around the world. Also, I thought it was 2014-2015 the stainless steel frames were introduced. 

The Xcelsior technically came out in 2008.....CT Transit was one of their first customers for the model in 2009, and got 2010 model Xcelsiors in service.

Edited by Cait Sith

On 11/25/2018 at 8:25 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

It should've gotten it for two reasons.  The boarding process at numerous stops was SLOW and PAINFUL.  Far too long... Second... Rampant fare beating... If you actually paid the fare on that bus you were in the minority.  I support it for that reason alone. All of these people just blatantly walking on past the fare box like it was the norm.  

Name the stops please and I’ll tell you if it’s ok or not. 

15 minutes ago, FLX9304 said:

For one, depending on the SBS Route you ride on, the fare machines on the SBS routes count on the boxes. So where does the Fare Evader plays a part? 

When they don't buy a ticket, which is most notable in the Bronx and Brooklyn.

It happens more often than you think. Some people just ask for a ticket when someone leaves the bus and they get one.

Edited by MysteriousBtrain

1 minute ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

It happens more often than you think. Come people just ask for a ticket when someone leaves the bus and they get one.

Another way is finding a valid ticket on the street, which is like the third part of the fare evader. Back then before the Metrocard days, I used to find valid blue and orange transfers and used them on the bus for final trips. 

2 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

It happens more often than you think. Some people just ask for a ticket when someone leaves the bus and they get one.

Especially in the Bronx. Good God..... The Bx41 was infamous for that. The times I would ride it and get my ticket, some douchebag would ask me for my ticket. I'd just look at them like they're crazy.  I haven't used the Bx41 in forever since I haven't had a need to nor have I tried the new Bx6 yet, but it would be interesting to see how farebeating is on that line now because the people that would pay versus the fare beaters was staggering.  

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Especially in the Bronx. Good God..... The Bx41 was infamous for that. The times I would ride it and get my ticket, some douchebag would ask me for my ticket. I'd just look at them like they're crazy.  I haven't used the Bx41 in forever since I haven't had a need to nor have I tried the new Bx6 yet, but it would be interesting to see how farebeating is on that line now because the people that would pay versus the fare beaters was staggering.  

The Bx6 SBS probably scathes off some farebeaters who are too broke heaven forbid they are caught but I doubt many people care and hop on without a ticket anyway. 

1 minute ago, Jdog14 said:

The Bx6 SBS probably scathes off some farebeaters who are too broke heaven forbid they are caught but I doubt many people care and hop on without a ticket anyway. 

That's the way the Bx41 was.  You knew when the Eagle Team was busting people because suddenly, everyone and I mean EVERYONE bought a ticket. It's like they knew what a Metrocard was again overnight. :lol: I used to chuckle to myself when I saw that.

This week I accomplished a personal milestone, I rode the B44 to and from the Knapp Street terminal so I officially rode every single part of every route out of Flatbush depot😄

This was my home depot as well as my favorite depot in the system, and the GOAT depot 😁 Crazy I just now rode that depot entire network as I lived in Flatbush service area for a good portion of my life.

It's also the only depot where I been on every route in their entirety. I rode the Veterans Ave B41 branch from the first stop for the first time a couple weeks ago.

13 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

That's the way the Bx41 was.  You knew when the Eagle Team was busting people because suddenly, everyone and I mean EVERYONE bought a ticket. It's like they knew what a Metrocard was again overnight. :lol: I used to chuckle to myself when I saw that.

On the Bx12, you can tell when the Eagle Team is out when it's anytime after 7am, the bus isn't crowded, the buses aren't bunched up, and if the B/O's are all hauling ass.

I think everyone gets tipped off when the Eagle Team is out and about, from the fare beaters to the drivers 😄

Random Thought: I've been noticing as of late the whole Brooklyn Division has been getting exterior roof ads, However, Manhattan and express bus divisions have the good wraps and exterior roof ads.  Hopefully the (MTA) gods are reading this I'd like to see more driver side wraps for the Brooklyn Division in 2019 along with more exterior roof ads and some 30x240 ads.

Haven't seen any exterior roof ads on the Cuomo buses YET. Give it a few months and MJQ will have their first XD40 driver side wraps. WMATA (Metro) has been wrapping their XD40's for quite a few years.

39 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Random Thought: I've been noticing as of late the whole Brooklyn Division has been getting exterior roof ads, However, Manhattan and express bus divisions have the good wraps and exterior roof ads.  Hopefully the (MTA) gods are reading this I'd like to see more driver side wraps for the Brooklyn Division in 2019 along with more exterior roof ads and some 30x240 ads.

Haven't seen any exterior roof ads on the Cuomo buses YET. Give it a few months and MJQ will have their first XD40 driver side wraps. WMATA (Metro) has been wrapping their XD40's for quite a few years.

They may have a problem with the speakers being in the way (though they could cut around it)

2 minutes ago, Jdog14 said:

They may have a problem with the speakers being in the way (though they could cut around it)

Hopefully, that doesn't pose a big issue. Because as we know MJQ can be very elaborate of putting such ads on their buses with any configuration of a bus.

I frequently travel to DC, and they have the same XD/XDE40's we have and WMATA bus maintainers are able to work around those speakers. Some have full length wraps and 30x240 billboards.

Queens Surface, Command and Liberty Bus lines had full length bus wraps in '02/03/04. Once (MTA) bus brought them. All bets off around after 2006 when they got their express bus orders.

35 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

There's zero chance a Cuomo bus gets a roof ad (unless they choose to put it on the shrouds on the hybrids)

There just isn't enough room for it considering the placement of the numbers, the speaker, the I love NY logo and the NYCB logo

45185451105_2e7fd2337f_b.jpg

42929273815_71cc69a4a7_b.jpg

I'm in partial agreement with you @Around the Horn. However: (answer on the bottom)

All I can say is that MJQ finds ways to place ads on their buses. I think the driver side of the bus is better than the passenger side on the newer XD40's for placing. Roof ads and driver side wraps do excellent with the Hybrids. The current roof ad campaign citywide is the Mount Sinai Health System and it seems to be working with current XD40's we have in Brooklyn, LFSA40's in Manhattan, Queens, BX and SI and hybrids citywide.

However, Philly, and DC which both have similar XD/XDE40 models and they are able to put placement of roof ads and driver side wraps on their buses. These days the difficulty of placing an ad on a (MTA) bus gets harder and harder and maybe that's why all the good ads go on express buses and Manhattan Division buses b/c of the tourists. However, when you see a campaign for Showtime, HBO, and NBC, CBS All Access, Epix. Manhattan seems to have the matching roof ad along with the base ad. However, you see the same ad in Brooklyn (except Ulmer Park express buses) there is only the base ad and not the roof. (Hope I'm explaining this correctly)