BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Jdog14 said:

They must not care if they cut down the enforcement lmao

Thank you. If the depot actually cared then they would’ve looked at the camera footage and see if there was any farejumpers, calling the enforcement when there’s a mass of that

2 minutes ago, mine248 said:

Thank you. If the depot actually cared then they would’ve looked at the camera footage and see if there was any farejumpers, calling the enforcement when there’s a mass of that

20 minutes ago, Jdog14 said:

They must not care if they cut down the enforcement lmao

Well they’ve been out to lunch and I called them out on it at the CSI hearing.

2 minutes ago, mine248 said:

It isn’t the depot that cares. It’s the big wigs that need to care because without that revenue, you get the mess you get now...

3 hours ago, Jdog14 said:

Approaching 22 this year

Listen among the caribbeans on the B46 with their shopping carts, to the broke ass folks walking on through the back doors, to the bold broke n*ggas asking people for their SBS receipts ( I had this one coon FOLLOW me into the store TO ASK for my receipt) I've had enough...

It sounds like you need to GTFO the city altogether if you're that fed up @ 21.....

None of this shit's going to get any better, dude - and a car (while you're within your rights to get one) isn't going to act as some shrouding mechanism for that.... With the way things are going, in the next generation or so, there's going to be a WAVE of homelessness & panhandling/panhandlers in this city... Think it's bad now, we aint seen nothing yet.... People are not owning (homes) like that anymore, the roommate shit will get old once you start hitting your 30's, rents on the rise, & the last ditch effort of gen x-ers/millennials/gen z-ers mooching off the boomers for shelter when they can't find a place of their own, will be futile.... I hear the NYC subway is nice & toasty this time-ah year - Rent free too.

I'm already noticing more & more people straddling the yellow line (middle of the roadway) in certain areas begging and/or tryna sell candy/(tap) water.... As callous as this sounds, if I end up hitting one of those dudes by accident, I'm not going to feel one bit of remorse.... The f*** out the road.

You'll learn when you start navigating these roads... Experience is the best teacher CreepyShadyFlyingsquirrel-max-1mb.gif

2 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Wasn't the M60 created as a spur of the Bx15?

Negative...

The M60 started out running between 125th st (2)(3) & LGA.... Then it underwent a whole host of other extensions/route changes in Manhattan after the fact..... It had squat to do with the Bx15.

2 hours ago, lara8710 said:

So that proposal can just be scrapped.

Now that brings me here--though the S74/84 and S78 already serve Bricktown Mall, their respective corridors leave a gap in bus service along Amboy Road. Although Amboy Road lies more or less parallel to the SIR, most stations along the SIR aren't ADA accessible, and given the presence of Tottenville HS on Luten Avenue and Monsignor Ferrell HS at Tysens Lane, there could be some decent ridership from students traveling to and from their classes. However, I'm not so sure if a bus along Amboy Road could work in the same manner as routes like the B25 along Fulton Street, the B37 along Third Avenue, the Q56 along Jamaica Avenue, or the Q60 along Queens Boulevard.

4 hours ago, lara8710 said:

Staten Island lies in close proximity to Newark Liberty International Airport, so why not have a LTD bus operate between the Forgotten Borough and New York's third major airport?

If such a route were to exist, I'd run it daily from Hylan Boulevard along Richmond Avenue via the Staten Island Mall, Goethals Bridge, NJ Turnpike, and US Highway 1, making limited stops on Staten Island and operating nonstop to the airport once it crosses into NJ. Now my question is, would it work?

The MTA created the M60 from scratch back in 1992 and now it's a very busy route, so I suppose something similar might happen with a new route between Staten Island and EWR...

These terrible comparisons of yours can just be scrapped.

20 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

How's the parking?

Not that I was exactly excited to be driving into Manhattan in general, but parking woes was the main deterrent that kept me from doing so when I worked in the 'Village..... I wasn't waking up & leaving all crazy times of the morning for an 8am job for a 45 min. or so drive to find a spot to park either.....

Downtown Brooklyn parking is hit or miss. Add that with the construction, traffic cops that patrol Fulton Street, Atlantic Avenue and some side streets. It’s becoming an hinderance. 

If I didn’t have a car note to deal with each month than i’d settle for public transportation. 

Just a simple random thought:  Would like to see more driverside wraps, roof ads, 30x240 billboards in the outer boroughs for the new year 2019.  I get it (MTA) advertising is very expensive and mostly caters to Manhattan and express bus depots.. 

However, when you see ads on Manhattan buses that are driverside wraps meanwhile in Brooklyn there’s a 30x144 version of that ad. Although, some improvements have been made throughout the years to incorporate driverside ads and roofads in the outer boroughs and the landscape of NYC is changing and I think the outer boroughs should have a slight touch of Manhattan when it comes to advertising with (MTA) buses. 

Just got off an Orion NG S79, and there was about 11 people sitting in the rear section, with me sitting in the last row middle seat with someone at each window seat. We made the right turn onto the Verrazano and I literally flew onto the person sitting in the left corner seat, I had nothing to hold onto and never been whipped around that turn like that yo. People said damnn at the drivers turn, but I'm embarrassed🤣

Forgot to mention, briefly around 2PM today the SIM4C was 100% MCI, all 4300s and one 2200 Cummins MCI. Pretty cool, wish that happened more often, must be an rare occurrence in the "Prevost" era. From time to time I check the SIM3C, 4C and 33C off peak to see how many MCI's are out and about, Prevost are usually dominating those routes with an mighty fist.

23 hours ago, lara8710 said:

Staten Island lies in close proximity to Newark Liberty International Airport, so why not have a LTD bus operate between the Forgotten Borough and New York's third major airport?

If such a route were to exist, I'd run it daily from Hylan Boulevard along Richmond Avenue via the Staten Island Mall, Goethals Bridge, NJ Turnpike, and US Highway 1, making limited stops on Staten Island and operating nonstop to the airport once it crosses into NJ. Now my question is, would it work?

The MTA created the M60 from scratch back in 1992 and now it's a very busy route, so I suppose something similar might happen with a new route between Staten Island and EWR...

As far as I'm concerned, just send the S98 over the Goethals Bridge, expand service to run 7 days a week and be done with it.

22 hours ago, lara8710 said:

So that proposal can just be scrapped.

What, because one person said that people going to EWR have money for the flight so they must have money for a taxi? What about people who work at the airport (TSA agents, etc)? What about people who need to travel over the Goethals Bridge for whatever other reason (shopping/working at Jersey Gardens, going to school/college, etc)? They don't matter?

2 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

As far as I'm concerned, just send the S98 over the Goethals Bridge, expand service to run 7 days a week and be done with it.

That could work

Since the S40/90 also serves Arlington, you could have the S48 also extended to EWR overnights to provide 24/7 service.

1 minute ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

What, because one person said that people going to EWR have money for the flight so they must have money for a taxi? What about people who work at the airport (TSA agents, etc)? What about people who need to travel over the Goethals Bridge for whatever other reason (shopping/working at Jersey Gardens, going to school/college, etc)? They don't matter?

Of course they matter, the issue is if there is enough latent demand for a bus route between Staten Island and EWR, which I don't know much about. When I first proposed the route, I wanted it to run from Eltingville because that part of the island is further away from key access points toward the rest of NYC.

1 minute ago, lara8710 said:

Of course they matter, the issue is if there is enough latent demand for a bus route between Staten Island and EWR, which I don't know much about. When I first proposed the route, I wanted it to run from Eltingville because that part of the island is further away from key access points toward the rest of NYC.

As a Staten Island resident I can assure you there is plenty of latent demand for a route across the Goethals Bridge. The Outerbridge as well (though I'd say to a lesser extent than the Goethals)

23 hours ago, lara8710 said:

It won't be as successful as the M60 as the Newark liberty express route is what most people use (keep in mind the Newark express runs from around Grand Central to the airport)

However I'm interested in a Staten Island sbs between Newark liberty and st George to test out such ridership with 30 min headways.

1 minute ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

It won't be as successful as the M60 as the Newark liberty express route is what most people use (keep in mind the Newark express runs from around Grand Central to the airport)

However I'm interested in a Staten Island sbs between Newark liberty and st George to test out such ridership with 30 min headways.

SBS shouldn't be running on 30 minute headways. Unless it's an excuse to get bus lanes and TSP installed in which case, go ahead. But regular limited-stop service (whether it's called that or not) would be fine.

1 hour ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

In this scenario, rather than modifying an existing LTD route, I'd create a new LTD route that would run 24/7 from St. George to EWR via Forest Avenue every 30 minutes days and evenings, and every 60 minutes overnight. It would be designated as the S99 and make the same stops as the S98 LTD east of Richmond Avenue. After crossing the Goethals Bridge, it would run nonstop to the airport. The bus would serve a few nearby hotels as well.

A map of the proposed route would be uploaded soon.

Edited by lara8710