BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

3 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

I was coming home from the ferry on the S46 and when the bus reached the area of the West Brighton Houses, there was a group of around 20 teenagers waiting for the bus. Some of these kids were fighting, so the B/O drove passed their stop without letting them on. (If you saw those kids they were definitely not paying the fare if they got on.) Some kids then ran and started throwing what seemed like rocks at the bus.

What neighborhood was this in? I can't believe this would be happening in Staten Island--but the last part made sense in terms of the consequences these kids got. Only if this happened with bus stops where it's a hotspot of kids farejumping...

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, mine248 said:

What neighborhood was this in? I can't believe this would be happening in Staten Island--but the last part made sense in terms of the consequences these kids got. Only if this happened with bus stops where it's a hotspot of kids farejumping...

West Brighton, near the projects.

17 minutes ago, mine248 said:

Heh please. There are ghetto parts of Staten Island trust me. It's all white picket fences, that's for sure.

Today I was in Central Park enjoying the nice weather.. when I left the park I saw old MCI 2836 on layover!!!! but I didn't have an MetroCard with 6.50 on it so I couldn't ride it SMH. Then I saw 6365 on the M104, I wanted to ride that particular bus as it's possibly a future museum bus. But I was on the wrong side of the street and the bus got away, so I took 2 L's in a matter of minutes😣

Did an LIRR - (J) fantrip to get to the (L) to take me home, the LIRR equipment I got was an M3😁 so the day wasn't an complete loss, Transit wise.

1 minute ago, B35 via Church said:

Yeah, it's all white picket fences alright....

Hide contents

Now I don't know where the f*** this actually is, but it can easily pass for somewhere out in SI...

800px-Classic_Picket_Fence.JPG

lol Typo... Meant to write it ISN'T all white picket fences... And yes very run down where ever that is. Staten Island is like that. You can go to Todt Hill (the neighborhood) and a short drive away are the Todt Hill projects. :lol:

Todt Hill (the neighborhood):

TodtHill125BenedictRd..jpg

Todt Hill houses (NYCHA):

TodtHill-14_resize.jpg

BIG difference... lol

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

3 hours ago, trife86 said:

I had someone throw their Chinese lunch special at my bus once, broker open as soon as it hit the window in a explosion of pork fried rice.

What a waste smh

3 hours ago, mine248 said:

Staten Island has its share of ghetto areas. As I mentioned to a friend, there's a few areas where you can't even get pizza or Chinese food delivered.

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

lol Typo... Meant to write it ISN'T all white picket fences... And yes very run down where ever that is. Staten Island is like that. You can go to Todt Hill (the neighborhood) and a short drive away are the Todt Hill projects. :lol:

Todt Hill (the neighborhood):

Todt Hill houses (NYCHA):

BIG difference... lol

It's just apartment buildings. Honestly when I first moved out here my mom and I ended up walking through there without even realizing they were projects. This was 10+ years ago and I've heard they've declined a bit since they demolished Markham Gardens but they still aren't bad.

18 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Staten Island has its share of ghetto areas. As I mentioned to a friend, there's a few areas where you can't even get pizza or Chinese food delivered.

Really? What are those areas? I thought seamless and GrubHub delivered all over.

7 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

Really? What are those areas? I thought seamless and GrubHub delivered all over.

Probably Jersey Street. LOL Man what a crap hole. If you have any ounce of street smarts there’s just a vibe you get passing through there. Never actually walked on the street but definitely never liked going on the bus through there. I’ve also heard parts of Stapleton aren’t so hot. Never been over there though.

Staten Island’s ghettos are much more shocking though because they are totally unexpected and rough. Really run down. That said, I’m from Southern Brooklyn but necessarily sheltered. I mean I went to high school across the street from the Sheepshead projects (zones there) so I’ve some seedy areas, but still. I’ve never been to Brownsville or East New York.

2 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Probably Jersey Street. LOL Man what a crap hole. If you have any ounce of street smarts there’s just a vibe you get passing through there. Never actually walked on the street but definitely never liked going on the bus through there. I’ve also heard parts of Stapleton aren’t so hot. Never been over there though.

When I first moved to Staten Island from Brooklyn I lived in New Brighton before moving to Port Richmond 6 months later and I would take the S42 often and that bus passes through alot of sketchy areas. A good portion of the S42 route are housing projects.

9 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

When I first moved to Staten Island from Brooklyn I lived in New Brighton before moving to Port Richmond 6 months later and I would take the S42 often and that bus passes through alot of sketchy areas. A good portion of the S42 route are housing projects.

How's Port Richmond? I passed the area for the 1st time recently seems pretty industrial. Never really traveled to parts of Staten Island north of 278 until as of late.

6 minutes ago, RailRunRob said:

How's Port Richmond? I passed the area for the 1st time recently seems pretty industrial. Never really traveled to parts of Staten Island north of 278 until as of late.

It gets more residential as you go further south. The area can be sketchy but if you have street smarts, you should be fine. I wouldn't recommend walking North of Castleton Ave at night. Cops get called over alot during that time. My family calls Castleton Ave "the border" since a lot of crimes are committed North of Castleton.

Edited by Lil 57

1 minute ago, Lil 57 said:

It gets more residential as you go further south. The area can be sketchy but if you have street smarts, you should be fine. I wouldn't recommend walking North of Castleton Ave at night. Cops get called over alot during that time.

Gotcha matter of fact I've traveled Victory which is north of the SIE have some friends near Willowbrook. Port Richmond isnt so far from there. Like Forest Ave right?

7 hours ago, S78 via Hylan said:

Some were mentioned already: New Brighton, Stapleton, Park Hill, West New Brighton (commonly referred to as “West Brighton”), and Mariners Harbor.

To clarify, it’s really the area near Cary Avenue in West Brighton and north of that that’s the pits. In all of my years living in West Brighton, it was known not to venture down there. I only did it a few times early in the morning when the MTA workers went on strike. I walked to the ferry on the first day and headed towards that area, but I wouldn’t do that at night. Aside from that and one other time when the S48 was a no-show, I never ventured down there. West Brighton near Forest Avenue is a whole different vibe, particularly as you head south of Forest Avenue near the SI Zoo. Mainly upper middle class professionals, and one of the wealthiest parts of Staten Island income wise (even more so than areas like Tottenville or Todt Hill which surprised me). 

STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. -- Staten Island's most expensive real estate is clustered on the eastern ridge of Todt Hill and along Nicolosi Drive in Annadale, but neither neighborhood can boast the borough's largest average earners.

That distinction belongs to an approximately 2-square-mile stretch of West Brighton, where the median household income is 46 percent higher than the Island as a whole, according to 2014 Census data.

Residents of this area, located south of Forest Avenue between Broadway and Bard Avenue, made $107,869 per household on average in 2014.

The area isn't home to as many of the ultra-wealthy -- households earning $200,000 or more -- as some of the other well-off neighborhoods in the borough, but makes up for it with a higher proportion of households earning in the $100,000 to $199,999 range than anywhere else.

Source: https://www.silive.com/news/2016/01/the_wealthiest_enclaves_on_sta.html

I can believe that because I knew several people from the area. One was my client of mine and she rode the express bus with me. She was a general counsel at an international company, so I dealt with her for all sorts of legal documentation. I’m sure she earned six figures by herself, and then her husband. Didn’t dress ultra fancy at all. You wouldn’t know it looking at her.

From what I heard, back in the day that part of West Brighton was solidly middle class, but that quickly changed with the West Brighton houses and who started moving in. Like most housing projects back in the day, it was mainly safe and consisted of working middle class people. Once the projects went down there, the immediate area went and it suffered for years. No idea what it’s like now.

8 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

The area I was thinking of was Arlington (there was a story of a delivery guy who got killed at the dead-end of Grandview by the train tracks and that area was already considered a no-delivery zone) but I'm sure there are other areas.

It gets more residential as you go further south. The area can be sketchy but if you have street smarts, you should be fine. I wouldn't recommend walking North of Castleton Ave at night. Cops get called over alot during that time. My family calls Castleton Ave "the border" since a lot of crimes are committed North of Castleton.

To be honest I recommend if someone is unfamiliar with the area just stay south of Post. 

The worst part of the area is west of Port Richmond Avenue and north of Castleton. Castleton itself is already ghetto so I wouldn't consider it a "border". During the day when the stores are open that part of Port Richmond Avenue is OK but once they close....forget it...

7 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

There's one part on the S74 (I forget the name of the street) that's pretty run down.

Broad Street is the street you're thinking of (Stapleton Houses are bounded by Broad Street, Gordon Street, Hill Street, and Tompkins Avenue). But the whole Stapleton area is pretty run-down (Targee, Bay, etc)

5 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

To be honest I recommend if someone is unfamiliar with the area just stay south of Post. 

The worst part of the area is west of Port Richmond Avenue and north of Castleton. Castleton itself is already ghetto so I wouldn't consider it a "border". During the day when the stores are open that part of Port Richmond Avenue is OK but once they close....forget it...

I agree. The only time I go north of Post is when I need to take the buses near Castleton Ave.

8 hours ago, RailRunRob said:

I can't think of one area with "Port" in the name that doesn't have some semblance of industrialism within it....

You know much of nothing'll happen to you (physically anyway), but those pindrop, quiet ass suburban (or suburban-like) areas during the wee hours of the morning I find to be more worrisome than your average run down, lower-class/high crime area.... Port Richmond specifically, I'm not, or was never bothered by - So much so that during my teenage years (mid-late 90's), one particular excursion I'd like to do was that B35 > B63 > S53 > S40, back to the ferry...

But yeah, to your point, if you're not on your p's & q's (or putting it more bluntly, if youze a lil beeeiiicch.. lol), just stay the hell away from any area you even might find questionable.....

7 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

There's one part on the S74 (I forget the name of the street) that's pretty run down.

Probably thinking about Van Duzer....

Arthur Kill rd. west of Huguenot isn't exactly bringing up the rear in this category either :lol:

14 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

I can't think of one area with "Port" in the name that doesn't have some semblance of industrialism within it....

Umm Port Chester, Green port, West Port I can think of a few areas that kicked there industrial past. But I understand that's kinda why I asked when I think of Port Richmond I think of Richmond Terrace didn't know the Neighboorhood went low-density residential.