Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
EE Broadway Local

BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

I was coming home from the ferry on the S46 and when the bus reached the area of the West Brighton Houses, there was a group of around 20 teenagers waiting for the bus. Some of these kids were fighting, so the B/O drove passed their stop without letting them on. (If you saw those kids they were definitely not paying the fare if they got on.) Some kids then ran and started throwing what seemed like rocks at the bus.

• LMAO! 2

54 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

I was coming home from the ferry on the S46 and when the bus reached the area of the West Brighton Houses, there was a group of around 20 teenagers waiting for the bus. Some of these kids were fighting, so the B/O drove passed their stop without letting them on. (If you saw those kids they were definitely not paying the fare if they got on.) Some kids then ran and started throwing what seemed like rocks at the bus.

I remember on the S46 some ghetto kids got on at Lockman and their friend was running down the block for the bus. The B/O FLOORED it out of the stop so the third kid wouldn't get on.

The two kids ended up getting off at the next stop (Grandview) anyway. Smh

• LMAO! 3

2 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

I remember on the S46 some ghetto kids got on at Lockman and their friend was running down the block for the bus. The B/O FLOORED it out of the stop so the third kid wouldn't get on.

The two kids ended up getting off at the next stop (Grandview) anyway. Smh

Something similar happened on the S44 that I rode years ago on Walker St. Some kid tried to block the bus, my B/O friend pulled into the stop, then drove away. I died of laughter for at least ten minutes.

Can someone explain to me what the deal is with the radio transmitted announcements/promotions on buses regarding the MyMTA app/"Please be considerate, and give up your seat to the elderly"/"You are reminded that the cash fair on local and limited buses is $2.75.." etc? They have a lot of the same announcements programmed into the buses' PA systems with a crystal clear recording while the other ones I mentioned generally sound crummy, staticy, and the person just does not sound cut out for public speaking? Isn't it a little redundant? 

1 hour ago, Lil 57 said:

Rocks!?

33 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Rocks!?

Or pebbles. We heard loud banging on the bus when the kids were running for it.

5 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

Or pebbles. We heard loud banging on the bus when the kids were running for it.

I had someone throw their Chinese lunch special at my bus once, broker open as soon as it hit the window in a explosion of pork fried rice.

• LMAO! 12

3 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

What neighborhood was this in? I can't believe this would be happening in Staten Island--but the last part made sense in terms of the consequences these kids got. Only if this happened with bus stops where it's a hotspot of kids farejumping...

1 minute ago, mine248 said:

What neighborhood was this in? I can't believe this would be happening in Staten Island--but the last part made sense in terms of the consequences these kids got. Only if this happened with bus stops where it's a hotspot of kids farejumping...

West Brighton, near the projects.

No BS, my order just came in about 2 mins ago (large fries, sm. chicken lo mein, large chicken/broccoli w. white rice) - and I'll be damned if I'm throwing it at a 35, a 46, or any other bus....

Now only if these buses can come as fast as this... fast food does !

• LMAO! 12

17 minutes ago, mine248 said:

Heh please. There are ghetto parts of Staten Island trust me. It's all white picket fences, that's for sure.

• Upvote 1

Today I was in Central Park enjoying the nice weather.. when I left the park I saw old MCI 2836 on layover!!!! but I didn't have an MetroCard with 6.50 on it so I couldn't ride it SMH. Then I saw 6365 on the M104, I wanted to ride that particular bus as it's possibly a future museum bus. But I was on the wrong side of the street and the bus got away, so I took 2 L's in a matter of minutes😣

Did an LIRR - (J) fantrip to get to the (L) to take me home, the LIRR equipment I got was an M3😁 so the day wasn't an complete loss, Transit wise.

11 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

It's all white picket fences, that's for sure.

Yeah, it's all white picket fences alright....

Now I don't know where the f*** this actually is, but it can easily pass for somewhere out in SI...

800px-Classic_Picket_Fence.JPG

• LMAO! 3

1 minute ago, B35 via Church said:

Yeah, it's all white picket fences alright....

Hide contents

Now I don't know where the f*** this actually is, but it can easily pass for somewhere out in SI...

800px-Classic_Picket_Fence.JPG

lol Typo... Meant to write it ISN'T all white picket fences... And yes very run down where ever that is. Staten Island is like that. You can go to Todt Hill (the neighborhood) and a short drive away are the Todt Hill projects. :lol:

Todt Hill (the neighborhood):

TodtHill125BenedictRd..jpg

Todt Hill houses (NYCHA):

TodtHill-14_resize.jpg

BIG difference... lol

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

3 hours ago, trife86 said:

I had someone throw their Chinese lunch special at my bus once, broker open as soon as it hit the window in a explosion of pork fried rice.

What a waste smh

3 hours ago, mine248 said:

Staten Island has its share of ghetto areas. As I mentioned to a friend, there's a few areas where you can't even get pizza or Chinese food delivered.

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

lol Typo... Meant to write it ISN'T all white picket fences... And yes very run down where ever that is. Staten Island is like that. You can go to Todt Hill (the neighborhood) and a short drive away are the Todt Hill projects. :lol:

Todt Hill (the neighborhood):

Todt Hill houses (NYCHA):

BIG difference... lol

It's just apartment buildings. Honestly when I first moved out here my mom and I ended up walking through there without even realizing they were projects. This was 10+ years ago and I've heard they've declined a bit since they demolished Markham Gardens but they still aren't bad.

18 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Staten Island has its share of ghetto areas. As I mentioned to a friend, there's a few areas where you can't even get pizza or Chinese food delivered.

Really? What are those areas? I thought seamless and GrubHub delivered all over.

7 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

Really? What are those areas? I thought seamless and GrubHub delivered all over.

Probably Jersey Street. LOL Man what a crap hole. If you have any ounce of street smarts there’s just a vibe you get passing through there. Never actually walked on the street but definitely never liked going on the bus through there. I’ve also heard parts of Stapleton aren’t so hot. Never been over there though.

Staten Island’s ghettos are much more shocking though because they are totally unexpected and rough. Really run down. That said, I’m from Southern Brooklyn but necessarily sheltered. I mean I went to high school across the street from the Sheepshead projects (zones there) so I’ve some seedy areas, but still. I’ve never been to Brownsville or East New York.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

2 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Probably Jersey Street. LOL Man what a crap hole. If you have any ounce of street smarts there’s just a vibe you get passing through there. Never actually walked on the street but definitely never liked going on the bus through there. I’ve also heard parts of Stapleton aren’t so hot. Never been over there though.

When I first moved to Staten Island from Brooklyn I lived in New Brighton before moving to Port Richmond 6 months later and I would take the S42 often and that bus passes through alot of sketchy areas. A good portion of the S42 route are housing projects.

19 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

This is what happens when kids start beating up old delivery men, and why people can't have nice things.

9 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

When I first moved to Staten Island from Brooklyn I lived in New Brighton before moving to Port Richmond 6 months later and I would take the S42 often and that bus passes through alot of sketchy areas. A good portion of the S42 route are housing projects.

How's Port Richmond? I passed the area for the 1st time recently seems pretty industrial. Never really traveled to parts of Staten Island north of 278 until as of late.

6 minutes ago, RailRunRob said:

How's Port Richmond? I passed the area for the 1st time recently seems pretty industrial. Never really traveled to parts of Staten Island north of 278 until as of late.

It gets more residential as you go further south. The area can be sketchy but if you have street smarts, you should be fine. I wouldn't recommend walking North of Castleton Ave at night. Cops get called over alot during that time. My family calls Castleton Ave "the border" since a lot of crimes are committed North of Castleton.

Edited by Lil 57
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Lil 57 said:

It gets more residential as you go further south. The area can be sketchy but if you have street smarts, you should be fine. I wouldn't recommend walking North of Castleton Ave at night. Cops get called over alot during that time.

Gotcha matter of fact I've traveled Victory which is north of the SIE have some friends near Willowbrook. Port Richmond isnt so far from there. Like Forest Ave right?

30 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

Most of the southshore and near st george but apart from that I wouldn't be shocked if they dont go there too much. 

5 minutes ago, Jdog14 said:

Most of the southshore and near st george but apart from that I wouldn't be shocked if they dont go there too much. 

GrubHub covers everything. Even 230 Broadway Staten Island, NY 10310. Man, it's that bad over there?

41 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

Some were mentioned already: New Brighton, Stapleton, Park Hill, West New Brighton (commonly referred to as “West Brighton”), and Mariners Harbor.