Jump to content

Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
EE Broadway Local

BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

Today I finally rode an CP express route, now I been on express route out of every MTA Bus Depot (Even BP and LGA).

 

NYCT side I never been on an Medrith or QV express route.

Well your not missing anything on the meridith lines. No good scenery or anything in particular that it would be worthwhile to go out of the way for.

  • LMAO! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, trife86 said:

Well your not missing anything on the meridith lines. No good scenery or anything in particular that it would be worthwhile to go out of the way for.

Yeah I think the top five express bus lines for scenery are as follows:

1. BxM2 - 5th Avenue Museum mile/Upper East Side, and Central Park along with Central Park West, Lincoln Center, Times Square and Penn Station and the suburban look of Riverdale

2. QM2 - Beautiful homes in Beechhurst

3. QM16 - Neponsit - beautiful beach homes in the Rockaways

4. X27/X37 - Views and beautiful homes along Shore Road

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Yeah I think the top five express bus lines for scenery are as follows:

1. BxM2 - 5th Avenue Museum mile/Upper East Side, and Central Park along with Central Park West, Lincoln Center, Times Square and Penn Station and the suburban look of Riverdale

2. QM2 - Beautiful homes in Beechhurst

3. QM16 - Neponsit - beautiful beach homes in the Rockaways

4. X27/X37 - Views and beautiful homes along Shore Road

 

The SI express buses Via Brooklyn are also good. Beautiful scenery of NY harbor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

The SI express buses Via Brooklyn are also good. Beautiful scenery of NY harbor.

Yeah in the summer it's nice to go on the Verrazzano, especially the upper level. I always liked taking the last X12 for that reason, as the sun is setting late in the summer. Then coming off of the SIE Victory and Slosson is quite nice and near to where I used to live. Slosson Avenue is very leafy.  Upper middle class area near to Westerleigh which is also nice by Martling Avenue.  Nice historical homes there.  Going through Westerleigh is nice as well. I lived on the Westerleigh/West Brighton border. Unfortunately the X12 doesn't end in such a nice area of Staten Island. Parts of South Avenue are really run down.  

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey if I'm not mistaken, I read from somewhere here in Transit Forums that the Q102 route is one of the most unreliable Bus Routes in Western Queens, right? Is it because it goes to Roosevelt Island, does it low headways, or is it a different reason entirely? I'm curious to know why.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

Is it because it goes to Roosevelt Island, does it low headways, or is it a different reason entirely? I'm curious to know why.

The traffic on the southern part of 31 street, northern blvd, and jackson avenue do "wonders" for its reliability..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/15/2019 at 2:23 PM, trainfan22 said:

NYCT side I never been on an Medrith or QV express route.

QV’s buses are probably some of the best considering in the express fleet considering how little usage they get.

Edited by IAlam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IAlam said:

QV’s buses are probably some of the best considering in the express fleet considering how little usage they get.

IDK if they still do it but QV use to put up holiday decorations inside their express buses in December. With that being said, I hope they swap fleets with UP someday, Love to see the MCI's make a return to UP. Plus UP Prevosts are older and probably have more mileage than the QV units. Only reason why I never fanned an QV express bus route is because none of their routes have highway running in the PM Rush, only in the AM rush and I don't care enough to get up early to ride QV EXP route in the AM Rush lol. 

 

 

My random thought for today, always nice when you get to ride buses from my three favorite depots in the same day (FLA, SC and JG). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

IDK if they still do it but QV use to put up holiday decorations inside their express buses in December. With that being said, I hope they swap fleets with UP someday, Love to see the MCI's make a return to UP. Plus UP Prevosts are older and probably have more mileage than the QV units. Only reason why I never fanned an QV express bus route is because none of their routes have highway running in the PM Rush, only in the AM rush and I don't care enough to get up early to ride QV EXP route in the AM Rush lol. 

If there is a new EXPRESS bus order than Ulmer Park is definitely on top of the list. I wouldn’t settle with those 22xx buses from Queens Village (keep those there). Just wished that (MTA) ordered more D4500CT’s back in 2013/2014 or even last year to make up score with the older buses for retirement. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Future ENY OP said:

If there is a new EXPRESS bus order than Ulmer Park is definitely on top of the list. I wouldn’t settle with those 22xx buses from Queens Village (keep those there). Just wished that (MTA) ordered more D4500CT’s back in 2013/2014 or even last year to make up score with the older buses for retirement. 

I would imagine depots with those old MCI's with the CAT 13 engine will be first in line to get new express buses. While new express bus at UP would be nice, they aren't in dire need of them IMO.

 

 

I agree with your last sentence, same goes for the 08 MCI order. 

Edited by trainfan22

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

 With that being said, I hope they swap fleets with UP someday, Love to see the MCI's make a return to UP. Plus UP Prevosts are older and probably have more mileage than the QV units.

Queens Village doesn't have enough buses to swap with Ulmer Park, so that's a moot point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

Queens Village doesn't have enough buses to swap with Ulmer Park, so that's a moot point.

They swapped the 4300 MCI with UP back in the day, even though UP had more buses. They could make UP 100%  2013 MCI if they swapped with CHR as well. Since I doubt the TA would want a mix of MCI and Prevost at UP due to stocking of parts, etc.

 

Edited by trainfan22

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

They swapped the 4300 MCI with UP back in the day, even though UP had more buses. They could make UP 100%  2013 MCI if they swapped with CHR as well. Since I doubt the TA would want a mix of MCI and Prevost at UP due to stocking of parts, etc.

 

Definitely maintenance issues would be the sticking point for UP to retain MCI buses again. 

I’ll go back to the previous post and say if MTA didn’t give (NJT) those 60+ buses (2008) models we would be in some decent shape. Meanwhile (NJT) & private buses (NJ) have a 6 year procurement with the D4500CT’s. They are on year 3. So for NJT MCI is making D4500CT’s for them until 2022 at the earliest or possibly migrating over to the D45CRTLE’s. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

Are Local Buses and Artic's allowed to enter underwater tunnels in NYC, just curious to know

yes for at least the 40 foot locals

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/16/2019 at 7:57 PM, Future ENY OP said:

If there is a new EXPRESS bus order than Ulmer Park is definitely on top of the list. I wouldn’t settle with those 22xx buses from Queens Village (keep those there). Just wished that (MTA) ordered more D4500CT’s back in 2013/2014 or even last year to make up score with the older buses for retirement. 

The TA express order is only for 50 buses, and UP doesn’t have the oldest ones. It’s likely they will get some, but they could go to SI as well. 

On 2/16/2019 at 11:05 PM, Around the Horn said:

Queens Village doesn't have enough buses to swap with Ulmer Park, so that's a moot point.

Why not? Fleet swaps are never fleet for fleet. It’s bus for bus. 

On 2/17/2019 at 1:28 AM, Future ENY OP said:

Definitely maintenance issues would be the sticking point for UP to retain MCI buses again. 

I’ll go back to the previous post and say if MTA didn’t give (NJT) those 60+ buses (2008) models we would be in some decent shape. Meanwhile (NJT) & private buses (NJ) have a 6 year procurement with the D4500CT’s. They are on year 3. So for NJT MCI is making D4500CT’s for them until 2022 at the earliest or possibly migrating over to the D45CRTLE’s. 

No maintenance issues of UP were to get MCI’s again. They had them and they will again have them in the future. It’s inevitable at this point. 

Mad far as the rejected CT’s go, I’m not sure what you mean my we would be in decent shape if we had got them. Nothing would have changed except the fact that the Prevost order would not have had as many buses. 

Fleet ops for express are covered. If we were in dire straights the new order would definitely not be for only 50 buses. 

Now as far as MCI and the line goes, they are phasing out the classic D next year. NJT is only taking delivery later due to the fact that the order was put on pause and in jeopardy of being cancelled. 

NFI is trying to get everyone to migrate over to the platform starting now. Similar to what the did when they phased out the LF/LFR for the X. 

 

4 hours ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

Are Local Buses and Artic's allowed to enter underwater tunnels in NYC, just curious to know

Yes they are. Express buses also use the BBT every day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, East New York said:

Yes they are. Express buses also use the BBT every day. 

 

8 hours ago, Q Broadway Express said:

I think some use the Queens Midtown Tunnel.

 

8 hours ago, Orion6025 said:

yes for at least the 40 foot locals

Ok thanks. I was just wondering cause I don’t think a local bus route ever use the Brooklyn Battery or Queens midtown Tunnels before

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

 

 

Ok thanks. I was just wondering cause I don’t think a local bus route ever use the Brooklyn Battery or Queens midtown Tunnels before

All models in NJT, which includes MCIs Neoplans and NABIs use the Lincoln tunnel. I doubt there would be any issues in the queens-midtown.

Edited by MysteriousBtrain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

 

 

Ok thanks. I was just wondering cause I don’t think a local bus route ever use the Brooklyn Battery or Queens midtown Tunnels before

Back in the PBL days, the Orion Vs and some Suburban RTSs that were on CP's express routes took the Midtown tunnel every day

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've noticed the Eagle team that checks tickets on the Q44 by Union Tpke now has an unmarked green van they sit in instead of the marked van that basically screams "BUY YOUR TICKETS"

  • LMAO! 6
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How do you think Passenger Counters are going to affect NYCT Bus and MTA Bus, in general, or in regards to planning or perceptions of ridership?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

How do you think Passenger Counters are going to affect NYCT Bus and MTA Bus, in general, or in regards to planning or perceptions of ridership?

You mean those electronic ones by the doors that they've been talking about?

I think it'll help, but when it becomes time to add the service they'll go into cheap mode be conservative and put short turns and only where the most crowding occurs instead of adding service for the entire route.

ie: SBS Bx12. If they find the busiest points are along Fordham, they would probably just put short runs between the Inwood (A) (or maybe even Sedgwick) and Pelham Pkwy (2) stations. Or if they find that the Q44 really carries along Main Street at a certain time, they'd put a short run between Jamaica and Flushing, etc..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

How do you think Passenger Counters are going to affect NYCT Bus and MTA Bus, in general, or in regards to planning or perceptions of ridership?

They're going to use it limit how much service they provide. With the Metrocard swipes it just told them how many swipes the bus had, but not necessarily how many passengers they had each way. With the counters they should be able to pinpoint where ridership comes from a where and likely average it out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.