BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

I'm happy about these happenings in regards to Flatbush bus assignments. With the B46 artics being on hold that means all the 40ft SBS buses must stay on the 46 and Flatbush will have a large amount of RTS for a little bit longer.

I think the LFS order will indirectly kill off RTS in the masses from FLA by bumping hybrids there from SI or the BX. 

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, JeremiahC99 said:

This is driving me bonkers. Don’t mean to ask, but I wonder what they would have against Flatbush? I’m just asking.

There is nothing against Flatbush or anything, right now its the fleet is being distributed by need, and the OG CNG's at WF have massively retired causing XD40's to end up at WF. It shouldn't be bad, noting on how most of those buses will soon end up in their respective depot's soon enough, it just takes time.

5 hours ago, WestFarms36 said:

There is nothing against Flatbush or anything, right now its the fleet is being distributed by need, and the OG CNG's at WF have massively retired causing XD40's to end up at WF. It shouldn't be bad, noting on how most of those buses will soon end up in their respective depot's soon enough, it just takes time.

Using this, I’m guessing the reason Quill needs buses from FB is for service coverage. Given that all the options orders for NYCT and bus will arrive, those XD60s from Quill will have to start moving out as well. As this would include the local units, the loss of those buses would create a 5-6 bus shortage in the fleet, and as a Manhattan Division Depot, this is something they can’t afford to happen. As the replacement XE60s won’t arrive until September and the M35 is now at Quill, driving fleet requirements up from 40 LFSAs, it would be desirable for Quill to get a piece of that XD60 order in the local scheme until the XE60s arrive. At that point, the XD60s will be unwrapped finally make their way back to FB. It all adds up now.

Thats is how I see it.

Edited by JeremiahC99

8 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

Using this, I’m guessing the reason Quill needs buses from FB is for service coverage. Given that all the options orders for NYCT and bus will arrive, those XD60s from Quill will have to start moving out as well. As this would include the local units, the loss of those buses would create a 5-6 bus shortage in the fleet, and as a Manhattan Division Depot, this is something they can’t afford to happen. As the replacement XE60s won’t arrive until September and the M35 is now at Quill, driving fleet requirements up from 40 LFSAs, it would be desirable for Quill to get a piece of that XD60 order in the local scheme until the XE60s arrive. At that point, the XD60s will be unwrapped finally make their way back to FB. It all adds up now.

Thats is how I see it.

I don’t get how Quill needs service coverage when when they could have just kept the XD60s they had until whenever. I mean this really doesn’t make no mind of sense. Everyone keeps forgetting the M14 sbs is back on the drawing board and those new LFSAs they’re getting is going to be for them and also with XE60S. So again this just doesn’t make any sort of sense. The M35 I heard only used 3 buses so in what way is 24 XD60s needed? Then on top of that if they wanted to push out the Older Lfsa to retire the last D60s the buses from Hale and FB could have don’t that already. So at this point nothing makes sense unless the mta is going to do something with an unplanned sbs route or just supplement bus service for late night L train shuttle. 

9 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

I'm happy about these happenings in regards to Flatbush bus assignments. With the B46 artics being on hold that means all the 40ft SBS buses must stay on the 46 and Flatbush will have a large amount of RTS for a little bit longer.

I think the LFS order will indirectly kill off RTS in the masses from FLA by bumping hybrids there from SI or the BX. 

That’s the same thing I say. I think Flatbush and Manhattanville will absorb the hybrids from Staten Island and The Bronx. However, I believe the 40 ft LFSA order is on hold. So those hybrids will be staying in their respective divisions for a bit longer. 

6 hours ago, WestFarms36 said:

Here’s the big question is how soon will those XD40’s return back to their respective depots. The XD40 order as I see it could wrap up between September to December 2019 or earlier if these deliveries are coming in a rapid rate. This could include the XD60 option order. 

Hopefully if one of the mods can answer this. Why was the XDE60 order scrapped and is there a possibility in the next procurement along with the electric fleet that the TA is introducing to include the XDE60 artic. 

14 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

I don’t get how Quill needs service coverage when when they could have just kept the XD60s they had until whenever. I mean this really doesn’t make no mind of sense. Everyone keeps forgetting the M14 sbs is back on the drawing board and those new LFSAs they’re getting is going to be for them and also with XE60S. So again this just doesn’t make any sort of sense. The M35 I heard only used 3 buses so in what way is 24 XD60s needed? Then on top of that if they wanted to push out the Older Lfsa to retire the last D60s the buses from Hale and FB could have don’t that already. So at this point nothing makes sense unless the mta is going to do something with an unplanned sbs route or just supplement bus service for late night L train shuttle. 

When the M35 was out of Hale, it has 5 buses assigned to it, plus another 2 buses rotated from Tuskegee Airmen Depot. That service requirement has not changed with the move of the route to Quill, except that they are no longer doing the fleet rotation with OH. The M14 meanwhile uses around 40-42 buses. Having 20-24 more buses in local artic service in place of the oddball local XD60s, which would be leaving real soon, would mean more buses to cover both routes without cutting into the spare factor.

Also, they could be using the buses for some (L) related additional M14 service they will provide, like you said. Before the plans got changed, Quill was to temporarily divert a whopping 47 XD60s from FB for the (L) shuttle. all in place of the 15 XE60s, which would arrive later in the year. By that time, the 47 buses would leave for FB. I still see them diverting buses from FB for the (L), but it won't be a lot compared to before. The 24 buses would amount to 15 for stand ins for the XE60s, and 9 for the (L) buses.

And yes, I do know that the M14 SBS is back on the drawing board, but it will be a while before implementation. This should give them enough time to place another order for electric artics, so that way, the M14 SBS can be operated with cleaner, all-electric buses for crosstown service to jumpstart our transition to 100% electric ops. 14th Street would be the perfect corridor for electric operations.

The Bx12 SBS is channeling its inner QBx1 today. The buses seem to be running Inwood-Pelham Bay-Bay Plaza-Pelham Bay-Bay Plaza-Pelham Bay-Inwood.

I guess since they make the reliefs at Pelham Bay it makes a little bit of sense (it keeps the buses moving  and the B/O’s still get their breaks) but I need to see more of this little experiment before I pass judgment on it.

7 minutes ago, Calvin said:

On the former 7700 units that were Orion VII CNGs, can the tracker be removed on the old unit and then placed in the newer unit or it's a new GPS installed on the unit?
(Ex: 7717 VII CNG to XD-40)

A new GPS Tracking unit comes with the bus. All wiring, software, and other equipment required is new. The only old thing that rotates around is the Farebox.

14 hours ago, JeremiahC99 said:

When the M35 was out of Hale, it has 5 buses assigned to it, plus another 2 buses rotated from Tuskegee Airmen Depot. That service requirement has not changed with the move of the route to Quill, except that they are no longer doing the fleet rotation with OH. The M14 meanwhile uses around 40-42 buses. Having 20-24 more buses in local artic service in place of the oddball local XD60s, which would be leaving real soon, would mean more buses to cover both routes without cutting into the spare factor.

Also, they could be using the buses for some (L) related additional M14 service they will provide, like you said. Before the plans got changed, Quill was to temporarily divert a whopping 47 XD60s from FB for the (L) shuttle. all in place of the 15 XE60s, which would arrive later in the year. By that time, the 47 buses would leave for FB. I still see them diverting buses from FB for the (L), but it won't be a lot compared to before. The 24 buses would amount to 15 for stand ins for the XE60s, and 9 for the (L) buses.

And yes, I do know that the M14 SBS is back on the drawing board, but it will be a while before implementation. This should give them enough time to place another order for electric artics, so that way, the M14 SBS can be operated with cleaner, all-electric buses for crosstown service to jumpstart our transition to 100% electric ops. 14th Street would be the perfect corridor for electric operations.

That is wrong.

When the M35 was out of Hale, the line used both artics and hybrids, there was no number of buses specficially assigned to it. The buses that were in rotation with Tuskegee Airmen Depot was the local LFS Artics, as those buses were extras for both depots, as well as West Farms in the AM. The M35 during the rush hour uses up to three buses, so the service requirement for that line is not major enough to warrant extra buses, as you can clearly tell, Quill got zero buses when the line moved there.

Also, the M14 does not use all 42 buses.....at most during the rush hour, the lines use up to 35 at most in total, the totals never go over 40.

As for the rest of your essay, you might want to stop overthinking things.

49 minutes ago, OIG119 said:

What's special about 4970?

It's one of the ENY originals, I hardly ever get those these days.. well the ones numbered in the upper 4900s at least, I usually get 5000s or the lower 4900s assigned to ENY.

Speaking of RTS, I rode one out of every Depot that has them today except for MJQ.. I plan to ride an MJQ RTS today as well once I'm able to make it to the city. Since the RTS fleet is on borrowed time, I always wanted to do an fan trip like this. So far today I been on ENY/UP/FLA RTS's and right now JAM..

Does anyone know what's going on with artic operations tonight? There are a decent amount of 40 footer subs are out

Bx9: 4330, 8380

Bx12: 4067, 4094

Bx19: 7548, 7737

Bx22: 4093

Bx40: 4086, 4112

Bx41: 4533

M14A: 3802, 6732

M14D: 3821

M60 SBS: 4118

M79 SBS: 3913

M86 SBS: 3822

M15: 3833, 3922, 3927, 6775

M101: 3900, 3923, 3931

M102: 3925, 3929

M103: 3910, 6763

Q53 SBS: 3615, 7443

3 minutes ago, Orion6025 said:

Does anyone know what's going on with artic operations tonight? There are a decent amount of 40 footer subs are out

Pending snowstorm

5 hours ago, Orion6025 said:

The MTA is probably adding chains to the articulated buses due to the supposedly inclement weather or they could have removed them to avoid any accidents (slips & slides) 

I've heard vague rumors that the M12 might be for the chop. Has anyone here heard such rumblings?

I find it hard to believe, since it's a foregone conclusion the ridership will grow as more Hudson Yards rental units are occupied. If anything, extending the operating hours to standard hours, and increasing runs seem more likely to me as time goes by. Well, I suppose the 11th Ave tunnel traffic is a nightmare. I have met folks who thought the route didn't exist due to runs stuck in traffic, but I blame that more on them having four buses maximum on the road at any one time.

Also, heard one M42 driver claim odd proposals were in the works for that route, such as driverless bus testing and a dedicated lane. Madness. Everyone I've ever spoken to claim they can't even have artics on that route forget anything more. Are there any M42 developments coming, or is all that pure nonsense as well?

Edited by Radioguy

I've heard the driverless bus bit being referenced (the 3 MTA workers that were talking amongst themselves on a bus I was on, brought it up in conversation; although they never mentioned a specific route).... That was about a year or so ago though......

The possible M12 axing I haven't heard about.....

18 hours ago, OIG119 said:

What's special about 4970?

Lol.... I gave up asking questions like that on here....

I've always found it amazing the way some people can remember a quirk/fact about a particular/singular bus!

Edited by B35 via Church

2 hours ago, Radioguy said:

I've heard vague rumors that the M12 might be for the chop. Has anyone here heard such rumblings?

The M12 has a weird routing system that doesn’t allow for the ridership to grow within the immediate Hudson Yards neighborhood. 

However, one has pointed an extension of hours could help the route or possibly an extension to Battery Park City could help the route. The Abington Square terminal seems a bit weird to me. (I work in that area now) M11, M14 both serving those areas. 

Besides, was the M12 route asked by the community board or a (MTA) newly established route. 

2 hours ago, Radioguy said:

I wouldn't be surprised... I haven't rode it that much but every time i do, it's carrying air... The horrible traffic around Javits and the Intrepid sh!t all over run time. It doesn't help the driver changes outside Quill sometimes can take a while. That said, it is helpful as a far west side 57th Street shuttle to the Columbus Circle and nearby subway stops... That portion of 57th needs all the buses it can get...

4 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

The M12 has a weird routing system that doesn’t allow for the ridership to grow within the immediate Hudson Yards neighborhood.....

Yeah, the fact that NB buses run up 12th av.... Does nothing for much of no one....

The two segments of the route that sees any real patronage is b/w [Abingdon Sq. itself & W. 24th st] and along [W. 57th].....

In my experiences, the SB trips always transport more ppl. than the NB trips..... There is something to that.