BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

The M12 really should continue down to Tribeca, the only problem being I'm not sure what the best routing would be. Washington and Greenwich Streets would be the natural choice but they switch directions around Canal Street and it gets pretty messy. 

Edited by Around the Horn

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

Question: Why do some S53 trips on BusTime say VICTORY BL even though they are doing the whole route?

Only thing I can think of is maybe the Bay Ridge trips interline with different things than the Victory Blvd trips (I know some come back as an S93 on the return trip so maybe that's why they're signed for Victory)

15 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

The M12 really should continue down to Tribeca, the only problem being I'm not sure what the best routing would be. Washington and Greenwich Streets would be the natural choice but they switch directions around Canal Street and it gets pretty messy. 

I like the idea about continued travel to Tribeca. I’d put it one step further and have it in Battery Park City. The route has its good points. 

Heres the thing about Washington and Greenwich Streets. There’s been a considerable amount of construction that’s been popping up as of late now and has hampered the M21 servicing the area. 

1 hour ago, Future ENY OP said:

I like the idea about continued travel to Tribeca. I’d put it one step further and have it in Battery Park City. The route has its good points. 

Heres the thing about Washington and Greenwich Streets. There’s been a considerable amount of construction that’s been popping up as of late now and has hampered the M21 servicing the area. 

I can't concur with running M12's southward..... Those people are majorically/practically all on 1 trains, it's not even funny....

Holland tunnel traffic won't fare any better for an extended M12 than the way it currently hampers the M20.... Also, to hear that there is (still) ongoing construction in those areas west of 7th av doesn't surprise me one bit.... I could only imagine how much of a PITA it is now getting around & about in the West Village - driving, biking, or walking.... One thing I don't miss about having worked out there... On weekends (lol), the thing is a tourist route (M20 I'm talking about) - people either getting off at Chambers or at S. Ferry itself.... I think we all agree that the M12 as is, is wasteful enough..... I just don't see the point in making it more wasteful....

If they want to keep the thing around, again, they need to take the thing off 12th av..... Minimum.

I'm inclined to believe that they don't want it (M12) mirroring too much of the M11 (which has had inconsistency issues in its own right  for god knows how long - and little of it overall has to do w/ Lincoln tunnel traffic at that), so they'd rather wash their hands with it (M12), instead of (better serving) Hudson Yards whenever the project is set to be said and done.

15 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

It’s actually worse than BusTime. It basically shows the time points and whether or not the bus is on-time or behind.

Although BusTrek doesn't show a map or show how far away a bus is from a particular stop, it gives alot of information. You can see exactly how hot or late a bus is running, ghost buses, stuck buses, buses that are deheading along a route, even the B/O's paddle for a particular bus. BusTrek isn't ment to be used by riders but by dispatchers and management in order to track buses and make decisions based on that. BusTime is ment to be used by riders in order to track buses from a particular stop.

Edited by Lil 57

6 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

Although BusTrek doesn't show a map or show how far away a bus is from a particular stop, it gives alot of information. You can see exactly how hot or late a bus is running, ghost buses, stuck buses, buses that are deheading along a route, even the B/O's paddle for a particular bus. BusTrek isn't ment to be used by riders but by dispatchers and management in order to track buses and make decisions based on that. BusTime is ment to be used by riders in order to track buses from a particular stop.

I know all of that, but I think it’s easier to see it on a map.

On 3/1/2019 at 12:14 PM, B35 via Church said:

I can't concur with running M12's southward..... Those people are majorically/practically all on 1 trains, it's not even funny....

Holland tunnel traffic won't fare any better for an extended M12 than the way it currently hampers the M20.... Also, to hear that there is (still) ongoing construction in those areas west of 7th av doesn't surprise me one bit.... I could only imagine how much of a PITA it is now getting around & about in the West Village - driving, biking, or walking.... One thing I don't miss about having worked out there... On weekends (lol), the thing is a tourist route (M20 I'm talking about) - people either getting off at Chambers or at S. Ferry itself.... I think we all agree that the M12 as is, is wasteful enough..... I just don't see the point in making it more wasteful....

If they want to keep the thing around, again, they need to take the thing off 12th av..... Minimum.

I'm inclined to believe that they don't want it (M12) mirroring too much of the M11 (which has had inconsistency issues in its own right  for god knows how long - and little of it overall has to do w/ Lincoln tunnel traffic at that), so they'd rather wash their hands with it (M12), instead of (better serving) Hudson Yards whenever the project is set to be said and done.

The route from 34th to 57th can stay on 11th Avenue, as it is two way for the most part (except from 40th to 44 Street). I agree that there's no need to serve 12th Avenue like that. The M12 is not a tourist bus and most of the places people go to are closer to 11th Avenue. 

So I was waiting for the Q58 at Flushing. There’s no more layover space and a bus terminating at Flushing is waiting for a spot. But he pulls up instead to the front of the lone and begins dropping off and pax start boarding. And then he packs it up and leaves. Isn’t he now extremely early? It’s not exactly his fault either cuz there was a limited that shld’ve left earlier because the limited operator was in a hurry to get onboard and try to leave. Too many drivers playing games.

also I’m onboard #4553 which is a grand ave bus. For grand ave, it sure looks like they dont take care of their buses. This still have dirty fabric seats and 1 seat that they actually replace. What’s a CMF doing take care of other depots equipment instead of their own?

47 minutes ago, Train92 said:

So I guess the drivers WEREN'T lying when they said the dispatcher can see when they change the sign :=|

On a separate front, I mean god forbid you inform the b/o that the wrong signage (opposite direction) is still up..... Enough of them take it personal when a passenger apprises them of that.

Also, I'm probably in the minority here, but I never cared for the whole "code breaking" bit.....

Note to SI LTD bus riders

Don't expect to see any LTD service running tommorow, save the S89 and S93. The snowstorm has made SI give alot of their LFS buses to Manhattan. This will make a shortage of buses for tommorow which would ultimately lead to the (MTA) cancelling LTD service.

15 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

Don't expect to see any LTD service running tommorow, save the S89 and S93. The snowstorm has made SI give alot of their LFS buses to Manhattan. This will make a shortage of buses for tommorow which would ultimately lead to the (MTA) cancelling LTD service.

LTD gets cancelled in bad weather anyway

57 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

They rarely ever do the the whole snowstorm loaner thing on weekdays, SI will probably get their buses back overnight.

Wow, I just seen a video on Youtube of Double Decker museum bus 1263 running under its own power. Yea, its was from 2010 but still, I had no idea that a bus from the 1930s was still operational as recently as 2010. I thought it was a static display that had to be towed everywhere.

Here's the video BTW: