BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

Anybody know why there's like 5-6 MJQ 40FT buses parked on 1st Ave near E27th street? 

I work out of that depot. Just like my uncle said(co worker), we have those buses there to remind us what don't we want to pull in and for drivers to start the service quickly/drag them to a terminal, extra shifts. Or even leave them as spare buses in case of any bus break downs, that a supervisor have to bring another one after the broke down units gets towed. Every depot does the same too.

10 hours ago, King Transit said:

I work out of that depot. Just like my uncle said(co worker), we have those buses there to remind us what don't we want to pull in and for drivers to start the service quickly/drag them to a terminal, extra shifts. Or even leave them as spare buses in case of any bus break downs, that a supervisor have to bring another one after the broke down units gets towed. Every depot does the same too.

You work out of Quill? 

As a high school student at that? 

That sounds a little farfetched...the last thing we need are fans pretending that they work for the MTA(and I can name a few that have done that right off the bat)...what do you do? 

Edited by Cait Sith

11 hours ago, King Transit said:

i call SHENANIGANS. that's NOT how it works, fella. and SLD's/superintendents NEVER drive buses to broken down buses on the road. other OPERATORS do that. wtf are you talking about?! 

Edited by EastFlatbushLarry

1 hour ago, Cait Sith said:

You work out of Quill? 

That sounds a little farfetched...the last thing we need are fans pretending that they work for the MTA(and I can name a few that have done that right off the bat)...what do you do? 

dude is completely INACCURATE. I'm not even going to completely wreck what he said, on the strength of not giving away "family secrets" so to speak, but that's NOT how it works, not at Quill or any TA/OA yard. foh with this PHONY 

Edited by EastFlatbushLarry

3 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

You work out of Quill? 

That was my uncle, he hired me as a supervisor apprentice

5 hours ago, King Transit said:

Just so you know, he's not actually allowed to do that.....

The fact that you have an actual operator questioning what you just said raises enough suspicions as it is. 

Edited by Cait Sith

19 hours ago, King Transit said:

5 hours ago, King Transit said:

Why are you embarrassing your uncle like this....

1 hour ago, Cait Sith said:

Just so you know, he's not actually allowed to do that.....

The fact that you have an actual operator questioning what you just said raises enough suspicions as it is. 

Lol, I didn't say anything myself cause I didn't even know what the hell his rant was going on about.

8 hours ago, King Transit said:

Alright, no sweat "Supervisor Apprentice" King Transit.

PM me with your last name and pass #

23 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Anybody know why there's like 5-6 MJQ 40FT buses parked on 1st Ave near E27th street? 

Anyone wondering about the real reason, this is the terminal of the M9.

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

The M9 has 20 minute headways on Sundays so I was surprised to see so many buses parked there. I thought they was using MTA buses to shuttle people for some kind of event or something like that. Sometimes they do use MTA buses for misc events like cop funerals, etc.

here's the possibility for what you saw. some operators were probably on their swing, and instead of killing time pulling in from the east side to the west, they kept their bus to use for the second half of their run. trust me, if you have a 43 minute swing and to pull in & out your paddle gives you 20 minutes each, keeping your bus adds valuable time to your swing. 

1 hour ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

here's the possibility for what you saw. some operators were probably on their swing, and instead of killing time pulling in from the east side to the west, they kept their bus to use for the second half of their run. trust me, if you have a 43 minute swing and to pull in & out your paddle gives you 20 minutes each, keeping your bus adds valuable time to your swing. 

I've seen seen buses parked in werid places, most likely a B/O's swing shift. Once was an express bus parked in the SI Mall's parking lot. Near Primark. Another time was a bus parked in front of someone's house. Most likely the B/O went to their home for their swing shift.

Edited by Lil 57

6 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

I've seen seen buses parked in werid places, most likely a B/O's swing shift. Once was an express bus parked in the SI Mall's parking lot. Near Primark. Another time was a bus parked in front of someone's house. Most likely the B/O went to their hour for their swing shift.

You mean home, that can happen as some runs have a 2-5 hour gap. Ex: AM rush trip then PM rush trip

Edited by Calvin

1 minute ago, Calvin said:

You mean home, that can happen as some runs has a 2-5 hour gap. 

And some runs are weird. One of the S57 school trippers out of my school has an all express paddle except for that school tripper, so they do express, get a local bus to do that one S57 tripper, then change to an express bus again. Surprised the B/O doesn't just use an express bus for the whole run if it's just one local tripper. Some routes like the S55/56 and S78 use express buses for their trippers.

4 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

And some runs are weird. One of the S57 school trippers out of my school has an all express paddle except for that school tripper, so they do express, get a local bus to do that one S57 tripper, then change to an express bus again. Surprised the B/O doesn't just use an express bus for the whole run if it's just one local tripper. Some routes like the S55/56 and S78 use express buses for their trippers.

That did happen before few years ago (last I saw one on the S78 was in 2017) to save time from the back/forth rotation to save time. IIRC, that stopped because of the student problems onboard (not pointing that as a negative thing).

Edited by Calvin

16 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

I've seen seen buses parked in werid places, most likely a B/O's swing shift. Once was an express bus parked in the SI Mall's parking lot. Near Primark. Another time was a bus parked in front of someone's house. Most likely the B/O went to their home for their swing shift.

it happens alot. usually, you call the yard, give the yard dispatcher your run/route and the bus number, and ask to keep the bus. occasionally, they'll ask where will you and the bus will be, to ensure you are properly securing the bus, and more times than not, the yard will approve your request. only time the yard will say no, is if that bus has high mileage (D60HF's or RTS's) or is scheduled for maintenance. I've heard and seen operators press RTT to keep a bus, but personally i always make sure to have the yard's phone number (or the crew, if the yard isn't picking up) 

7 hours ago, Calvin said:

That did happen before few years ago (last I saw one on the S78 was in 2017) to save time from the back/forth rotation to save time. IIRC, that stopped because of the student problems onboard (not pointing that as a negative thing).

Last time I saw them on the S78 was last year, but they still run on the S55/56 and of course, the S89