BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

12 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

And some runs are weird. One of the S57 school trippers out of my school has an all express paddle except for that school tripper, so they do express, get a local bus to do that one S57 tripper, then change to an express bus again. Surprised the B/O doesn't just use an express bus for the whole run if it's just one local tripper. Some routes like the S55/56 and S78 use express buses for their trippers.

I know which one you're talking bout. The swings are too long, that keeping a bus won't be necessary.

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

☺️The buses in the Brooklyn Division are so clean and so well maintained.

Was downtown BK today and all the buses I saw were so clean.

Fresh pond buses have dirty windows but their buses are good "under the hood". Rode an ex FP hybrid on the B17 a couple days ago and that bus was fast as hell. Even one of FP 2015 XDs had a little giddy to it, that was the fastest 2015 XD I been on.

Edited by trainfan22

The second week of March is the one week of the year where Gun Hill's fleet gets washed and waxed from top to bottom to get rid of all the winter gunk off all the buses. Even the windows get cleaned (GH bus windows rarely if ever get cleaned.) Too bad their buses won't get cleaned in such great detail until next March.

10 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

The second week of March is the one week of the year where Gun Hill's fleet gets washed and waxed from top to bottom to get rid of all the winter gunk off all the buses. Even the windows get cleaned (GH bus windows rarely if ever get cleaned.) Too bad their buses won't get cleaned in such great detail until next March.

The way some of them 5700s are looking I BEG to differ lol

4 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

☺️The buses in the Brooklyn Division are so clean and so well maintained.

Was downtown BK today and all the buses I saw were so clean.

Fresh pond buses have dirty windows but their buses are good "under the hood". Rode an ex FP hybrid on the B17 a couple days ago and that bus was fast as hell. Even one of FP 2015 XDs had a little giddy to it, that was the fastest 2015 XD I been on.

i don't know how or what Fresh Pond did to those 65xx OG's, but God bless them for it. i know firsthand that quite a few of the hawk operators from Far Rock simply adore the units they received. people sleep on those OG hybrids. they're speed demons, especially those 67xx's.

as far as cleanliness, FP's are some of the dirtiest in the system... MaBSTOA level dirty 😂 i think some of exterior dirt is salt dust from 2 winters ago 

Edited by EastFlatbushLarry

27 minutes ago, Jdog14 said:

I was talking about the 2012 LFSA buses...them shits are filthy

True, true... Poor people with no decency riding + half hearted cleanings at the depot will do that...

I’ve seen the brand new LFSA’s with food and gum on the floor barely a week after being placed into service, so nothing surprises me.

On 3/9/2019 at 11:42 AM, Lil 57 said:

I thought they would be moving the NG out for the LFS buses but there doing the exact opposite.

This is temporary as all the hybrids will be moving out of the island eventually. The LFS order however is delayed and at last check MTA was less than pleased with the new delivery schedule that is now pending. 

On 3/9/2019 at 12:43 PM, trainfan22 said:

Aren't SI hybrids getting rehabbed? Maybe those 4600s are pinch hitting while YUK hybrids are getting rehabbed.

See above. 

On 3/9/2019 at 4:05 PM, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

Hey can someone explain how Bus Interlining works? I don’t understand how the term interlining makes sense when it comes to buses

See below.

On 3/9/2019 at 5:27 PM, MysteriousBtrain said:

One B/O does one roundtrip on a route, then may end up on layover and continue with another roundtrip with a different route in the same area or would run light to another terminal and serve another route a depot has runs with.

That’s an example. However there are many different scenarios. 

To sum it up, and interlined run is a work assignment that includes multiple bus routes being completed within the assignment. Meaning one operation does 2 or more routes within a shift.

*Most all local-limited runs are interlined. 

Some other common examples of interlined runs/routes are.....

B8/B35 before articulation.  

B25 and everything out of ENY damn near lol

B32/B60

Bx28/Bx38

Bx40/Bx42

M101/M102/M103

Q25/Q65

Q64/Q111/Q113/Q114

A rare example of an interline is one of the B44+ runs transfers to a southbound B49 short term at rush hour. 

On 3/9/2019 at 8:09 PM, Bay Ridge Express said:

Why do some B/Os drive insanely slow? I get that sometimes it's with scheduling, but on the B9 today there was one b/o who almost drove at walking speed with no cars in front of him and then the B9 behind him managed to catch up, creating bunching. Although weekend B9 service in general is atrocious. Only reason I haven't started taking an uber yet is cuz at least the bus is only S2.75,

There are many different reason for this. Some do it because they are running early or directly on time. Others do it because they are rude, have no consideration for the passenger who likely doesn’t wanna get on the bus anyway, and want to get “placed” by dispatch when they get to the end of the line extremely late. 

Some operators tend to start driving slower when they are talking. There’s this guy in Flatbush I know, likely has the most seniority out the depot. Picks hawk (night) runs and just prefers to drive slow. He also had an stellar safely record. I did however notice that whenever I catch him, if we start talking

On 3/10/2019 at 4:55 PM, King Transit said:

I work out of that depot. Just like my uncle said(co worker), we have those buses there to remind us what don't we want to pull in and for drivers to start the service quickly/drag them to a terminal, extra shifts. Or even leave them as spare buses in case of any bus break downs, that a supervisor have to bring another one after the broke down units gets towed. Every depot does the same too.

On 3/11/2019 at 2:45 PM, SevenEleven said:

Alright, no sweat "Supervisor Apprentice" King Transit.

PM me with your last name and pass #

You beat me to it lmao!!!

Edited by East New York

1 hour ago, Lucas said:

Does anyone know why exactly MJQ and JAM got the 2019 XD40s instead of ENY (local service) and FB (local service)? I always thought that those models go to Brooklyn and leftovers go elsewhere...

Cause MJQ and JAM have old buses that are of retirement age, and in the case of Quill the XD40s can run on the M66/72. ENY will get more XD40s for local service, they already have 4 buses for local service, they will 32 for local service IIRC. FLA might have some SBS units unwrapped once they get more artics. 

8 hours ago, paulrivera said:

I wonder if any B/O’s have been rear ended while driving at 10mph in clear weather with no one ahead of them? I’m curious who would get the blame, especially if the vehicle that rear ends the bus is actually doing 25...

Who gets the blame if you rear end someone ? Really you would have to think of who's at fault?

There’s a presumed foamer in the back of the bus that’s playing the automated announcements to himself from his phone on a bus that doesn’t have the new screens on it.

Its on a local Bx12 too so I don’t even know where he got all the audio files from 😄

He’s keeping to himself and not bothering nobody tho. I’ll just sit back, relax and enjoy the experience.

Today I rode the BM2 for the first time since I moved to Canarsie, I been on it a whole bunch of times when I lived in Flatbush but never in Canarsie. Anyway the bus itself is good and well kept like all of SC buses are, downside is I've been on board for nearly 2 hours and the bus is stuck in traffic on the FDR. 

There was an delay with an wheelchair rider which was no biggie to me personally since I'm not in a rush. 

47 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

There’s a presumed foamer in the back of the bus that’s playing the automated announcements to himself from his phone on a bus that doesn’t have the new screens on it.

Its on a local Bx12 too so I don’t even know where he got all the audio files from 😄

He’s keeping to himself and not bothering nobody tho. I’ll just sit back, relax and enjoy the experience.

Some of GH 40FT buses have those screens, I remember seeing them when I rode the orchard beach shuttle bus. Maybe that's where he got them from.

Just saw some OA/Bus Company rivalry just now lol. To give you some context, this happened at Bartow/Edson Avenues. The Q50 is pulling out of the stop and getting ready to enter onto the highway but a Bx12 +Select pulls up on the left and needs to switch over to the right lane because it has a stop up ahead. So the Q50 driver steps on the gas and tries to get ahead but the Bx12 starts slowing down and the Q50 driver slams on the brakes. Does a swirly motion with his finger and moves over to the left to pass the 12. As we pass the 12, I see the 12 driver doing the same swirly motion and is clearly disgruntled lol.

16 minutes ago, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

Non SBS XD60 showed up on the Woodhaven Route, coming out of JFK. How often does this happen? Its likely a bus shortage.

Q52 On non-SBS XD60

Probably a few needed to be put out of service for a while. Luckily the Q10 is out of the same depot the Q52 is from so they can probably spare one. 

37 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

Probably a few needed to be put out of service for a while. Luckily the Q10 is out of the same depot the Q52 is from so they can probably spare one. 

This also happens on the S79 SBS much more often. I like to call this the S79 effect.

Interesting, I would always felt Manhattan espeically MJQ was where everyone that got special treatment because it was in Manhattan. I understand a lot of people on here who works for the MTA and love the RTS would be very disheartened when they get retired but the article should understand those buses are getting ready to be out the door within the year. ENY was the depot they mentioned there and so far ENY is about to get more newer buses and next year artics for their routes. So if anything these bus depots with the most older buses are going to get newer ones from now and the next few years. FB is already receiving new artics and most likely the next hybrid order will be going there as well.

I appreciate the social justice angle of the piece and there's certainly a grain of truth to it when it comes to Manhattan division hybrid depots versus the rest of the borough / MTAB hand-me-downs versus NYCT, but to do the comparison within Brooklyn on such a short timeline involving depots currently receiving new fleets is pretty whack and ahistorical. JG just got replaced; their fleet age was high for many years, and DD50s were hardly the greenest engines. All the RTSes are already on the way out; this is just shoddy reporting that any discussion with the MTA would have mitigated.