BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Interesting, I would always felt Manhattan espeically MJQ was where everyone that got special treatment because it was in Manhattan. I understand a lot of people on here who works for the MTA and love the RTS would be very disheartened when they get retired but the article should understand those buses are getting ready to be out the door within the year. ENY was the depot they mentioned there and so far ENY is about to get more newer buses and next year artics for their routes. So if anything these bus depots with the most older buses are going to get newer ones from now and the next few years. FB is already receiving new artics and most likely the next hybrid order will be going there as well.

• Replies 38.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I appreciate the social justice angle of the piece and there's certainly a grain of truth to it when it comes to Manhattan division hybrid depots versus the rest of the borough / MTAB hand-me-downs versus NYCT, but to do the comparison within Brooklyn on such a short timeline involving depots currently receiving new fleets is pretty whack and ahistorical. JG just got replaced; their fleet age was high for many years, and DD50s were hardly the greenest engines. All the RTSes are already on the way out; this is just shoddy reporting that any discussion with the MTA would have mitigated.

2 hours ago, Brillant93 said:

Interesting, I would always felt Manhattan espeically MJQ was where everyone that got special treatment because it was in Manhattan. I understand a lot of people on here who works for the MTA and love the RTS would be very disheartened when they get retired but the article should understand those buses are getting ready to be out the door within the year. ENY was the depot they mentioned there and so far ENY is about to get more newer buses and next year artics for their routes. So if anything these bus depots with the most older buses are going to get newer ones from now and the next few years. FB is already receiving new artics and most likely the next hybrid order will be going there as well.

A lot of the drivers, even at Flatbush, do love the RTS, so that's why they don't want to give them up. I know they don't want to give them up, but unfortunately they have to.

Also, EN, FB, and MQ are all in line to get the next hybrid order. No official amounts are confirmed, but what I see happening is that they get these amounts:

XDE40 (165 units):

(20)-East New York

(15)-Flatbush

(15)-Fresh Pond

(10)-Grand Avenue

(25)-Ulmer Park

(20)-Manhattanville

(20)-Mike Quill

(20)-Mother Clara Hale

(20)-Tuskegee Airmen

LFS HEV (110 units):

(60)-Queens Village

(10)-Jamaica

(20)-Gun Hill

(20)-Kingsbridge

This would give those depots and the communities they service with some newer buses for them to enjoy. Older buses would be retired or moved around, with the NGs going to Manhattan and Brooklyn, providing more reliable buses to these boroughs.

So today wouldn't be a good morning to take the S57 towards New Dorp because only the 6:25 AM bus came like 8 minutes late and then nothing. Just alot of Wagner trips.

And then the 7:06 AM came, a 35 minute + gap in AM S57 service.

Edited by Lil 57

16 hours ago, Calvin said:

Besides RTS. I don't see the old gens as being old. These buses age very well. These buses dont look like old buses. RTSes look like they're old. But old gens nah. Guess the public considers old gens old.

4 minutes ago, Q23 via 108 said:

Besides RTS. I don't see the old gens as being old. These buses age very well. These buses dont look like old buses. RTSes look like they're old. But old gens nah. Guess the public considers old gens old.

It helps that their interiors often look pretty ratty. Missing paint, dirt caked into the floors, etc

11 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

I’m reading up about the new L train shutdown bus service called Williamsburg link. Can anyone shed light on that? 

https://new.mta.info/l-project/service-alternatives

Other sources say the black (counter-clockwise) loop is proposed as B91 and purple (clockwise) loop is proposed as B92.

34 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

https://new.mta.info/l-project/service-alternatives

Other sources say the black (counter-clockwise) loop is proposed as B91 and purple (clockwise) loop is proposed as B92.

Was there also going to be a route between Crown His (3)(4) and Rockaway Pkwy (L) or did I just imagine that... I'd presume that would just be the :bus_bullet_b17: though

Edited by Bay Ridge Express
I'm pretty sure it was just cancelled because it turned into a not-so-shutdown, right?

19 minutes ago, Bay Ridge Express said:

Was there also going to be a route between Crown His (3)(4) and Rockaway Pkwy (L) or did I just imagine that... I'd presume that would just be the :bus_bullet_b17: though

That was when the full L train was a go now this newer bus link are just the plan for a partial shutdown. 

So because a crane collapsed between 7th & 8th Avenue, there's effectively no WB service past 6th Avenue, and there's no EB service west of 5th Avenue on the M34 SBS. Maybe it's just me, but why does the far west side have to suffer unnecessarily?

Service Change  Posted: 03/18/2019 11:09PM 

M34A and M34-SBS buses are detoured in both directions because a crane collapse on 34 St between 7 Av and 8 Av.

Detour is as follows:

M34A and M34-SBS Westbound: Via 34 St, right on 34 St, right on 6 Av, left on 35 St, M34-SBS: right on 8 Av and will end.

M34A: right on 9 Av and will end.

M34A and M34-SBS Eastbound: Via 9 Av, left on 8 Av, right on 36 St, right on 5 Av, left on 34 St and regular route.

Use corresponding stops along detour route.

7 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Every operator has to learn how to operate all models in a depot and can train anywhere they choose.

That's correct. You'll also see a lot of training going on in Manhattan because of all of the stop and go traffic.  I'm guessing they like to put the drivers in difficult situations and see how they handle them since you may be placed anywhere and will need to adjust accordingly.

Buses from QV love to train in Canarsie, I see FLA buses over here from time to time as well.

I once seen a CS Orion testing in Hempstead Long Island.

Also SC buses training down Rockaway Parkway even though they don't operate the B42.

Edited by trainfan22

Random thought of the day: A good amount of XD40’s (Cuomo wrap) operating on the B52 and Grand Avenue now starting to rear ads on their newer XD40’s. 

The weekend random thought goes to (SEPTA). Seen a good assortment of buses with passenger side wraps, driver side wraps, and driver side roof ads on artics over the weekend while in Philadelphia.