BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Just now, Lil 57 said:

Rides use the X10 as a local bus because there's no alternatives or the alternative requires multiple transfers.

Correct, but only a small percentage do that and certainly not enough for an actual bus line. I too have done it, but I did that twice in roughly ten years, and that was really only because I didn't want to deal with the local bus on Victory. A lot of people are like that on the island. They can take the local bus, but they opt for the express bus. Different clientele...

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Correct, but only a small percentage do that and certainly not enough for an actual bus line. I too have done it, but I did that twice in roughly ten years, and that was really only because I didn't want to deal with the local bus on Victory. A lot of people are like that on the island. They can take the local bus, but they opt for the express bus. Different clientele...

That's probably because People don't want to be turned down where trying to do an intra-island trip on SI. If people didn't have to worry about that more people would be doing that. Mabye a pliot program with the S58 running every 15 minutes rush and 30 mins off-peak could be beneficial.

1 minute ago, Lil 57 said:

That's probably because People don't want to be turned down where trying to do an intra-island trip on SI. If people didn't have to worry about that more people would be doing that. Mabye a pliot program with the S58 running every 15 minutes rush and 30 mins off-peak could be beneficial.

Huh? Turned down how?? I took the X10 because I didn't want to take the local bus. That's my point, and more people are like that on the island.  I know quite a few express bus riders that don't like taking the local buses. As I said, it's a different clientele.

On 3/19/2019 at 12:56 AM, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

So because a crane collapsed between 7th & 8th Avenue, there's effectively no WB service past 6th Avenue, and there's no EB service west of 5th Avenue on the M34 SBS. Maybe it's just me, but why does the far west side have to suffer unnecessarily?

Service Change  Posted: 03/18/2019 11:09PM 

M34A and M34-SBS buses are detoured in both directions because a crane collapse on 34 St between 7 Av and 8 Av.

Detour is as follows:

M34A and M34-SBS Westbound: Via 34 St, right on 34 St, right on 6 Av, left on 35 St, M34-SBS: right on 8 Av and will end.

M34A: right on 9 Av and will end.

M34A and M34-SBS Eastbound: Via 9 Av, left on 8 Av, right on 36 St, right on 5 Av, left on 34 St and regular route.

Use corresponding stops along detour route.

Because it would cost way too much money for the M34 to go up to 42nd Street, sit in traffic, then come back down 12th Avenue when everyone either walks or takes the (7) anyways. /s

9 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Huh? Turned down how??

You might get a B/O who is very strict on the closed door policy and when you try to get on an SI bound bus along the Narrows Road they say that you can't come on. Or if no one is getting off the express bus at that stop, the B/O just drives past you.

Just now, Lil 57 said:

You might get a B/O who is very strict on the closed door policy and when you try to get on an SI bound bus along the Narrows Road they say that you can't come on. Or if no one is getting off the express bus at that stop, the B/O just drives past you.

We're not talking about the drop-off segment. We're talking about the pick-up segment.  A driver may huff and puff, but that's about all that happens.  I have never had a problem when I've done it.  I pay for the express bus, and if I want to take it during the pick-up segment, I'm allowed to.  As it stands now, the rule is that express bus riders can transfer at ANY stop to another express bus if they so choose, which makes the drop-off only rule null and void until that decision is changed.  The (MTA) isn't putting that on blast now but I spoke with people in the know about it.  Because there have been so many issues with express bus riders needing to transfer and being told that they can't they just wrote up a memo allowing transfers to occur at any express bus stop.

26 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

We're not talking about the drop-off segment. We're talking about the pick-up segment.  A driver may huff and puff, but that's about all that happens.  I have never had a problem when I've done it.  I pay for the express bus, and if I want to take it during the pick-up segment, I'm allowed to.  As it stands now, the rule is that express bus riders can transfer at ANY stop to another express bus if they so choose, which makes the drop-off only rule null and void until that decision is changed.  The (MTA) isn't putting that on blast now but I spoke with people in the know about it.  Because there have been so many issues with express bus riders needing to transfer and being told that they can't they just wrote up a memo allowing transfers to occur at any express bus stop.

Ok, I don't think a B/O can trap you inside a bus if you want to get off.

However my S58 proposal wouldn't just have form local X10 riders but people from the Todt Hill Houses who doesn't have a local bus on weekends and that the S54 when it does run doesn't serve the ferry, will use it since they will have a direct ride to the (R) train and to Brooklyn. Port Richmond riders might also use it to get to Brooklyn since it would be faster than the S53.

4 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

Ok, I don't think a B/O can trap you inside a bus if you want to get off.

However my S58 proposal wouldn't just have form local X10 riders but people from the Todt Hill Houses who doesn't have a local bus on weekends and that the S54 when it does run doesn't serve the ferry, will use it since they will have a direct ride to the (R) train and to Brooklyn. Port Richmond riders might also use it to get to Brooklyn since it would be faster than the S53.

Those people currently just walk down to Victory Blvd where they have a plethora of options. Not really that big of a deal.

7 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

I always thought that there should be a local route along the X10 the went from Port Richmond to Bay Ridge via the X10 routing (except that it will start at Richmond Terrace instead of the Castleton Depot.) I'll call this the S58. It'll run from around 5 AM to Midnight with 10-15 minutes peak and 15-30 minutes off peak depending on the time of day.

Unnecessary. All that needs to be done is implement an S53 limited (S53 route north of Victory, S93 south of it) and combine the S93 and S62 (perhaps leave the S92 running rush hour only since there's often traffic heading to the bridge. Otherwise a 3-legged transfer with the S93 and S61 is enough)

5 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Huh? Turned down how?? I took the X10 because I didn't want to take the local bus. That's my point, and more people are like that on the island.  I know quite a few express bus riders that don't like taking the local buses. As I said, it's a different clientele.

Not what I'm referring to. Not people who don't want to "deal with" the local bus. People for whom the express bus is indeed the quickest choice for intraborough travel (or in the case of the X17 travel to Brooklyn)

No I'm talking about both the pickup and drop-off segment. But yes he does have a point that there's still drivers who nake their own rules (and I agree it should be dealt with accordingly)

20 hours ago, Orion6025 said:

Two questions about Queens bus service:

1. Is there any reason why the QM1 exists? Frankly wouldn't it be simpler to collapse those trips into QM5s via Fresh Meadows, which already seems to be (informally) done anyway?

2. Is there any reason why on the Q101 will go over the upper deck of the Qboro Bridge? I get that it used to have a different terminal configuration in Manhattan years ago under the private lines that was more conducive to operation over the upper deck, but it always irritated me sitting in traffic on the lower level on the q32/60 while the upper deck is flowing smoother.

Yes because the QM1 terminates in Fresh Meadows, dead smack in a HUGE co-op complex where THOUSANDS of people live.  It is rather large, and that many people without subway service... You need the express bus there because as QM1 said, the QM5s would be slammed.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

3 minutes ago, RTS9302 said:

I have a two questions i was always curious of:

1.) IS CP in plan of getting any buses???

2.) With the being delivered order of 40ft LFSES will any end up in depots such as CS or BP

Thank you

1)CP isn't getting new local buses anytime soon, I guess it's possible they get a piece of the new express order whenever that comes.

2) Nah, those depots most likely won't be getting LFS.

7 minutes ago, RTS9302 said:

im sorry i forgot to state another question which was: Has it been confirmed what will replace the Orion vii OG's?

Yes. 

The new 2018-2019 Nova LFS that have recently been coming in as of late will retire the oldest batch of hybrids, the 2002-2004 Orion VII OGs. 

Later this year and into 2020, the 2004-2005 Orion VII OGs will be replaced by the new XDE40s. 

3 minutes ago, Coney Island Av said:

Later this year and into 2020, the 2004-2005 Orion VII OGs will be replaced by the new XDE40s

Actually it would be the 2006-07 units that are replaced by the new XD40s and possibly NovaBus LFS HEVs (note that this order could be split between New Flyer and Nova). 158 2004-05 units are retiring by the end of this year supposedly. It’s on the first page of Fleets and Depots:

1 hour ago, YankeesPwnMets said:

Flew into the city last night, came into Manhattan and saw a bunch of M14's wrapped with SBS wrapper

Did the MTA finally set a start day for the 14 SBS or are they just borrowing fleet from somewhere else?

It's in the works. (It was actually supposed to start in a different form, but Cuomo suddenly decided that he and a bunch of deans with little field experience knew better.)

1 hour ago, YankeesPwnMets said:

Flew into the city last night, came into Manhattan and saw a bunch of M14's wrapped with SBS wrapper

Did the MTA finally set a start day for the 14 SBS or are they just borrowing fleet from somewhere else?

1 minute ago, Lex said:

It's in the works. (It was actually supposed to start in a different form, but Cuomo suddenly decided that he and a bunch of deans with little field experience knew better.)

Yes but also there are so many spare SBS buses right now. Would be a waste to have 20+ buses just sitting around at Quill. It's just like before the Bx6/Q53/B82 SBS started 

The Bx12 +SBS I took on Friday Afternoon was weird in that it was empty at Fordham Plaza (probably because it ran light there) but packed heading into Co-op City. This was just after 6 pm. I can't wait to see how the Bronx bus redesign addresses this but this route gets inundated with passengers along the entire length of it which still to this day boggles my mind. 

20 minutes ago, JubaionBx12+SBS said:

The Bx12 +SBS I took on Friday Afternoon was weird in that it was empty at Fordham Plaza (probably because it ran light there) but packed heading into Co-op City. This was just after 6 pm. I can't wait to see how the Bronx bus redesign addresses this but this route gets inundated with passengers along the entire length of it which still to this day boggles my mind. 

Lol the Bx12 SBS is hell on wheels during rush hours. Crushed to the brim, delays everywhere, never again...