BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Low key there are 2 Gleason lines that needs to be split. B8 and B16. Yes, they both travel long miles and are septic to major delays. There has to be a way if these 2 lines can be split. I think the severity of the delays are around the Borough Park area. 

Random thought of the day. The Good Day billboards are now appearing on your local and express buses. Now 354 from Gleason has that tacky small good day billboard like 7578 from Quill. 

Edited by Future ENY OP

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Future ENY OP said:

Low key there are 2 Gleason lines that needs to be split. B8 and B16. Yes, they both travel long miles and are septic to major delays. There has to be a way if these 2 lines can be split. I think the severity of the delays are around the Borough Park area. 

Random thought of the day. The Good Day billboards are now appearing on your local and express buses. Now 354 from Gleason has that tacky small good day billboard like 7578 from Quill. 

i personally agree with the b8 split. I've had the idea of splitting it in & around newkirk avenue for years. tbh there are a few brooklyn lines that are too long for their own good. 

24 minutes ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

i personally agree with the b8 split. I've had the idea of splitting it in & around newkirk avenue for years. tbh there are a few brooklyn lines that are too long for their own good. 

That is correct. Gleason, Ulmer Park routes are the culprits

Splitting the B8 I'd deem plausible; there's been quite a bit of discussions on here about it as it is.....

However, splitting the B16 I don't see the point of.... BM5 Woodhaven had an idea this past year that suggested taking the thing off Caton in an attempt to reduce delays & what not; I would much rather that, than splitting the thing outright..... The portion b/w Bay Ridge & Borough Park would garner the vast majority of the ridership, whereas the Lefferts Gardens to Borough Park segment I'd worry would be relegated to 20 min. headways all day (or worse).... No Thanks.

10 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

I've never seen a B8 that did not bunch.

9 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

I'm not gonna lie, Staten Island is doing a GREAT job maintaining those LFS. Or maybe the LFS are just maintaining themselves pretty good island wise🤣

To me, those Novas are better than the Xcelsior's. 

2 minutes ago, Calvin said:

I know this already happened but was the reason for ENY having no more RTS in-passenger service because of incoming buses being delivered? Or that it involves the plan mentioned from the news?

Some people complained about the old buses, so the (MTA) is speeding up their retirement. I feel like there's going to be a fleet shortage though since the RTS are being retired very quickly.

18 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

Some people complained about the old buses, so the (MTA) is speeding up their retirement. I feel like there's going to be a fleet shortage though since the RTS are being retired very quickly.

Very true. Honestly, what they should’ve done was set the retirement date of the RTS to be the date of the summer pick rather than a hasty May 10th. They could’ve waited another month until then, because usually the summer pick has low ridership that some Depots give off buses elsewhere (I’m looking at the Summer 2018 situation where multiple 2004-05 OG Hybrids were sent off from Fresh Pond and that Depot got nothing in return until the fall pick).

2 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

(I’m looking at the Summer 2018 situation where multiple 2004-05 OG Hybrids were sent off from Fresh Pond and that Depot got nothing in return until the fall pick).

Same thing happens with Yukon. They gave a good amount of NGs to CS for the summer. 

6 minutes ago, Calvin said:

First week of July. 

That's just when school is out for the summer. That would've been a perfect time to return the RTS buses. After all, right now they could use all the buses they need to fix the crap shot of a service called the B1 at Kingsborough, and the massive disaster of a crowding situation that occurs every single PM rush when classes let out. Its a huge disaster over there and there are not enough buses to fix this as we speak.

Edited by JeremiahC99

2 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Not the end of the world. Had that on my bus yesterday morning. Driver fixed it eventually.

That's good. I remember that happened last year on 8268 on the S57 and it broke down at the Hospital.

Sounds like it's fixed. I'm not sure what was wrong with it though.

Edited by Lil 57

2 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

DOT is back doing DOT things... I have no idea when they did this but woof what is that font

That looks like Clearview, the fed-mandated font for street signs. They use that on all the new street signs (replaced Highway Gothic), but don't know why they're using it on a stop sign instead of the usual...

20 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

DOT is back doing DOT things... I have no idea when they did this but woof what is that font

56821304_2156298997787436_53717204074705

@MHV9218 @Around the Horn That font is actually Highway Gothic, its the ones currently used on the much newer street signs, and all highway signs. You can tell its Highway Gothic by the point ends of the letters, and the more the 2 is curvy. Clearview is different, the character ends are flat, the characters are slightly more spaced and bigger.. There is a BxM8 Bus stop sign around Country Club with the same font.

56 minutes ago, WestFarms36 said:

@MHV9218 @Around the Horn That font is actually Highway Gothic, its the ones currently used on the much newer street signs, and all highway signs. You can tell its Highway Gothic by the point ends of the letters, and the more the 2 is curvy. Clearview is different, the character ends are flat, the characters are slightly more spaced and bigger.. There is a BxM8 Bus stop sign around Country Club with the same font.

Whoops, I didn't see the Feds had done a 180º on that again. Highway Gothic was the original for decades, then it was Clearview mandated for a few years, and then back to Highway Gothic. Shows I haven't read about this stuff in a few years. Good, as far as I'm concerned, as Clearview is dreadful. Regardless, the point is that the DOT is using the street sign font for MTA stops, which is not what they've done before.

Edit: The hell? Apparently Clearview is back again: https://www.equipmentworld.com/font-designed-for-easier-readability-on-roadway-signs-is-reinstated-two-years-after-fhwa-prohibited-it/

Edited by MHV9218

4 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

Whoops, I didn't see the Feds had done a 180º on that again. Highway Gothic was the original for decades, then it was Clearview mandated for a few years, and then back to Highway Gothic. Shows I haven't read about this stuff in a few years. Good, as far as I'm concerned, as Clearview is dreadful. Regardless, the point is that the DOT is using the street sign font for MTA stops, which is not what they've done before.

Edit: The hell? Apparently Clearview is back again: https://www.equipmentworld.com/font-designed-for-easier-readability-on-roadway-signs-is-reinstated-two-years-after-fhwa-prohibited-it/

Don't worry, wrong fonts aren't one thing that is bad... They've also mispelled street names in the past, like Tinton Av in the Bronx, the older signs say "TIINTON AV", but a couple of them have the extra I covered with a green sticker.