BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Other than this express bus fare increases and no coins stuff, why don't they just treat the SIR like a traditional subway fare-wise? Have turnstiles at every stop, which will mean MetroCard machines at every stop and would collect more revenue. People on SI would also have better access to MetroCards.

2 minutes ago, King Transit said:

This is because I don't live in SI(also don't care about it), though I like it. I was more concern with Queens, Brooklyn, and Manhattan.

The express buses in the other boroughs are also affected. 

1 hour ago, King Transit said:

Hmmmn, I wonder why ???

All express buses will be cashless. (This includes Academy buses on the SIM23/24.) The problem is: in Staten Island, there are only two places where one can add money to a MetroCard: St. George, and Eltingville Transit Center. The MTA has advised customers who use cash to consider an EasyPay Express MetroCard.

If not for the move to OMNY, the MTA would probably treat the SIR as a subway route with turnstiles. This is the first step toward OMNY.

5 minutes ago, aemoreira81 said:

All express buses will be cashless. (This includes Academy buses on the SIM23/24.) The problem is: in Staten Island, there are only two places where one can add money to a MetroCard: St. George, and Eltingville Transit Center. The MTA has advised customers who use cash to consider an EasyPay Express MetroCard.

If not for the move to OMNY, the MTA would probably treat the SIR as a subway route with turnstiles. This is the first step toward OMNY.

Incorrect. There are three locations on the island... Tompkinsville stop on the SIR is another option. Staten Island isn’t the only borough with the problem either. Queens, Brooklyn and the Bronx have many areas where there are no subways.

2 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

Other than this express bus fare increases and no coins stuff, why don't they just treat the SIR like a traditional subway fare-wise? Have turnstiles at every stop, which will mean MetroCard machines at every stop and would collect more revenue. People on SI would also have better access to MetroCards.

The MTA is not going to pay the cost of turnstile installation. At some stops it's just not feasible because the entrance is literally a stairway onto the sidewalk with no station house or mezzanine. And they don't staff the SIR to the point where they could catch jumpers. It would probably cost more to have turnstiles than to not have turnstiles.

2 minutes ago, bobtehpanda said:

The MTA is not going to pay the cost of turnstile installation. At some stops it's just not feasible because the entrance is literally a stairway onto the sidewalk with no station house or mezzanine. And they don't staff the SIR to the point where they could catch jumpers. It would probably cost more to have turnstiles than to not have turnstiles.

I don't know if forcing SIers to pay for the SIR is the solution, but I think having MVMs at stations would help, whether they be at a station house or on the platform itself.

2 minutes ago, Bay Ridge Express said:

I don't know if forcing SIers to pay for the SIR is the solution, but I think having MVMs at stations would help, whether they be at a station house or on the platform itself.

In future OMNY world, I would assume OMNYs are online accounts that you can top up with an Internet connection, similar to how London's Oyster (which we're basing this off of) works today. In which case a lot of the need for MVMs goes away.

1 minute ago, Bay Ridge Express said:

That could work, the thing is that some people (school kids) might say "The SIR is free so the buses must be free as well". As I said before, in areas where there are no Subway Stations nearby, there should be a community MetroCard (and OMNY in the future) center, where people can get and refill MetroCards (and OMNY cards). There will also be an agent to help out as well.

2 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

That could work, the thing is that some people (school kids) might say "The SIR is free so the buses must be free as well". As I said before, in areas where there are no Subway Stations nearby, there should be a community MetroCard (and OMNY in the future) center, where people can get and refill MetroCards (and OMNY cards). There will also be an agent to help out as well.

Like I said, having more MVMs in more areas would definitely be better, and the most obvious place to start is the 21 SIR stations (if not have them be at least every 2-3 stations away). The people (school kids) you have in mind say that BECAUSE there are no MVMs/they don't have any spare change from their parents, and giving parents additional access to some MVMs would greatly help. 

8 minutes ago, bobtehpanda said:

In future OMNY world, I would assume OMNYs are online accounts that you can top up with an Internet connection, similar to how London's Oyster (which we're basing this off of) works today. In which case a lot of the need for MVMs goes away.

True, but systemwide implementation of OMNY has not happened yet. Once it has the whole "no change on express bus" thing will no longer be an issue.

1 minute ago, Bay Ridge Express said:

The people (school kids) you have in mind say that BECAUSE there are no MVMs/they don't have any spare change from their parents, and giving parents additional access to some MVMs would greatly help. 

That could help but remember, 80-90% school kids don't swipe even if they have their student MetroCard and the time allows them to use it.

Just now, Lil 57 said:

That could help but remember, 80-90% school kids don't swipe even if they have their student MetroCard and the time allows them to use it.

Then that just becomes another issue of school kids being stupid... which is not the same issue as not allowing SI commuters easy access to MetroCards

49 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

School recess: When buses are empty during rush hour and packed to the brim during the midday. Up is down and down is up...

The MTA should consider recess schedules that increase midday service but trims rush hour service, even if such a proposal would make too much sense.

I've thought the same thing, especially during this spring break period when public schools are off, jewish schools are off for passover, and many catholic schools are closed for easter break. I bet the MTA says the cost to make those schedules and do special picks or whatever isn't worth it. 

1 hour ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I've thought the same thing, especially during this spring break period when public schools are off, jewish schools are off for passover, and many catholic schools are closed for easter break. I bet the MTA says the cost to make those schedules and do special picks or whatever isn't worth it. 

I’d do one pick for September to June (or maybe one in September and a second in January) with M-F/Sat/Sun/school break, then a standard M-F/Sat/Sun pick for the summer.

A typical bus route that would run 5min AM/10min Noon/5min PM/12min Evening would likely be better off running 6min AM/8min Noon/6min PM/12min Evening during weeks like these. It might end up cost neutral too because while you’ll need more B/O’s for the middle of the day, you won’t need as many in the morning and you can squeeze in a PM rush trip out of a B/O that clocks in at a 10am (as opposed to 5am, where they’ll start clocking out in the early afternoon)

1 hour ago, WestFarms36 said:

Any pictures available?

I only caught a glimpse of it. I can try but I can't guarantee results. (Don't want a B/O screaming at me when I try to take a pic while boarding a bus.)

EDIT: VG8 his a photo below.

Edited by Lil 57