BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

2 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

It was posted in my group:

57908949_1551096738360223_61990618474846

Gives a lot more details than the old stickers that just said FARE $6.50 and showed MetroCards and Coins. Guess the local buses are going to have something similar.

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, WestFarms36 said:

I like how these new ones are highly informative.

I honestly haven't paid much attention to them.  Probably have been too busy getting on the bus.  Someone else took that shot and posted it in the group.

1 hour ago, QM1to6Ave said:

They also added some sort of plastic block over the coin section of the farebox on the CP express buses. It looks better than the set-up on the SBS bus fareboxes. Still a stupid idea, though. 

I'm glad it's just that because I am really going to push to get this stupid setup reversed. People are not happy about it, and they shouldn't be.  Roll out OMNY and then you can get rid of coins. The occasional riders esp. will be screwed. A lot of those folks keep quarters at home when they are going to ride.  Also, a passenger in my group shared a story about how stupid EasyPay is.  

She said if your card dips below a $20 balance, they automatically go to refill it with the auto-pay amount ($30), and if it gets declined, the whole card becomes “locked” and invalid. Her card tried to auto-refill on 4/17, as that's when the balance dipped under $20, however she uses her TransitCheck account to buy her Metrocards, and the TransitCheck money is only taken out of her paycheck once a month, on the 19. So it was too early and got declined. So although she had $12.75 on her card, which was enough to ride the bus yesterday morning, because the balance had dipped under $20 and the refill was denied, she couldn't use it--the card was basically "locked".

She explained to the customer rep after being on the phone an HOUR <_< that the balance on TransitCheck was replenished three days ago, and so they should re-attempt to fill her card. They did so and said that it went through, now she has a $42.75 balance. HOWEVER, it takes 24-48 business hours for the change to take effect and the card to be usable again, so it still didn't work for going home last night and likely this morning either. She could wait and see, but since there are now no back-up options for payment (i.e. can't even use coins), she couldn't take that risk, she had to race out the door to go buy a new Metrocard--she couldn't do it when she left work because the nearest subway stop is the complete opposite of the express bus stop she goes to, so if she did it then, she'd miss her bus home.

34 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I honestly haven't paid much attention to them.  Probably have been too busy getting on the bus.  Someone else took that shot and posted it in the group.

I'm glad it's just that because I am really going to push to get this stupid setup reversed. People are not happy about it, and they shouldn't be.  Roll out OMNY and then you can get rid of coins. The occasional riders esp. will be screwed. A lot of those folks keep quarters at home when they are going to ride.  Also, a passenger in my group shared a story about how stupid EasyPay is.  

She said if your card dips below a $20 balance, they automatically go to refill it with the auto-pay amount ($30), and if it gets declined, the whole card becomes “locked” and invalid. Her card tried to auto-refill on 4/17, as that's when the balance dipped under $20, however she uses her TransitCheck account to buy her Metrocards, and the TransitCheck money is only taken out of her paycheck once a month, on the 19. So it was too early and got declined. So although she had $12.75 on her card, which was enough to ride the bus yesterday morning, because the balance had dipped under $20 and the refill was denied, she couldn't use it--the card was basically "locked".

She explained to the customer rep after being on the phone an HOUR <_< that the balance on TransitCheck was replenished three days ago, and so they should re-attempt to fill her card. They did so and said that it went through, now she has a $42.75 balance. HOWEVER, it takes 24-48 business hours for the change to take effect and the card to be usable again, so it still didn't work for going home last night and likely this morning either. She could wait and see, but since there are now no back-up options for payment (i.e. can't even use coins), she couldn't take that risk, she had to race out the door to go buy a new Metrocard--she couldn't do it when she left work because the nearest subway stop is the complete opposite of the express bus stop she goes to, so if she did it then, she'd miss her bus home.

The only thing this coin issue will accomplish is more people "farebeating" because of accidents like this. I usually carry a spare PPR card with me just in case, but then I forget to use it and it expires. 

41 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

The only thing this coin issue will accomplish is more people "farebeating" because of accidents like this. I usually carry a spare PPR card with me just in case, but then I forget to use it and it expires. 

Yeah a nice way to rob us of more money... Saturday while on the Upper East, I bought two weekly Metrocards at the old $59.50 fare, so I saved a few bucks and bought myself an espresso with the small savings...

Something that really pains me actually pertains to routes under the Canarsie shutdown plans. Under the old (and reasonable) plan, at least some of those bus routes may have had potential outside of their scope. With the current farcical plan, I have doubts about the routes' potential even within their scope.

1 hour ago, Lex said:

Something that really pains me actually pertains to routes under the Canarsie shutdown plans. Under the old (and reasonable) plan, at least some of those bus routes may have had potential outside of their scope. With the current farcical plan, I have doubts about the routes' potential even within their scope.

I think I would of preferred a plan that was similar to keeping the L2/3 around. Those two would of made service a bit better. Only thing I would change is making the "L2" run via Metropolitan Avenue instead of Grand st.

Edited by MysteriousBtrain
wrong route

On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 4:40 PM, paulrivera said:

School recess: When buses are empty during rush hour and packed to the brim during the midday. Up is down and down is up...

The MTA should consider recess schedules that increase midday service but trims rush hour service, even if such a proposal would make too much sense.

Are there any routes in mind when you bring this up?

Credit's to Transportation Network for this video of the new B91/92 bus stop signs.

Question: Why did they use purple (the LTD bus color) for the bus stops if these buses are local. Shouldn't they use black since they are running overnight and weekends only.

Also IMO more bus services should of been provided on weekends, the B32 running every 15 minutes was kinda appealing.

Edited by Lil 57

1 hour ago, Around the Horn said:

Every single bus was mobbed. 

In general they need more M34/34As running. Every time I pass 34th and 3rd in the middle of the evening rush there's easily a full busload of people waiting to board a bus that's practically 60-70% full to begin with. It's kinda sad that 34th Street gets this mediocre service despite being such a heavy corridor...

1 hour ago, Lil 57 said:

Credit's to Transportation Network for this video of the new B91/92 bus stop signs.

Question: Why did they use purple (the LTD bus color) for the bus stops if these buses are local. Shouldn't they use black since they are running overnight and weekends only.

Also IMO more bus services should of been provided on weekends, the B32 running every 15 minutes was kinda appealing.

It could also be like the M5 (says Night&Weekend service only beneath the destination name), which has blue signage. Thing is, I think the color change is for the better since it stands out, and obviously it is a special route. As for whether it should be purple, black, or whatever... ultimately will be placed under the jurisdiction of the (MTA) .

Edited by Bay Ridge Express

1 hour ago, Around the Horn said:

They really need to do something about the M34A in the PM rush...

There is no good reason to run buses every ten minutes right as everyone is getting out of the hospitals on the East Side. Every single bus was mobbed. 

Also express buses need to stop parking in the bus lane...

They do run every other M34 down to Waterside to help out the M34A (or at least they’re scheduled to run that way. We all know NYCT schedules are nothing more than suggestions.)

As helpful as that should be for the hospitals, that might be what’s mucking up the rest of the line as well, as those M34s are getting stuck in traffic on 1st and 2nd Avenue in addition to being stuck in traffic on 34th Street (bus lanes you say? Oh those are merely suggestions also.)

I hope I'm able to get to ride RTS on the B41 one last time. Been riding RTS on the B41 my whole life, just want to ride one on the 41 one last time.

I got my last RTS B6 ride on 5092, didn't even look at my phone while riding it I just soaked in the experience of riding an RTS on the B6 for the final time. 

Probably rode RTS on the B6 and B41 more times than any other route. 

Edited by trainfan22