BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Home routes: Lived in LeFrak City, Junction Blvd (7), Jackson Heights, and Corona. 

Q72, Q23, Q29, Q88, Q58, Q66, and the Q38. Mostly LGA routes

Rare Catches. 

I also have two more instances of catching older RTSes without bus time. 

1. I was coming out of the Chinese Restaurant down Junction Blvd (my home area around 37 Av) when all of a sudden, I hear a distinctive screeching noise. I look towards Roosevelt Av and see bus 8949 on the Q72. I only got pics from the back of the bus because it literally came out of nowhere in the middle of the Night for that matter. But it felt great seeing my favorite bus holding it down on one of my favorite routes. 

1996 8949 on the Q72 to Rego Park

VideoCapture_20190430-221135

2. I was coming out of the GW Bridge and I saw bus 4964 on the Bx36. Keep in mind that West Farms only had like 10 RTS. So to catch a Bronx RTS out of the blue, that was dope. 

1998 4969 on the Bx36

DSCN7298

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Calvin said:

I heard by today or tomorrow will be the last time the remaining RTS is in-service. Not sure if that's accurate or on another date. 

I've been hearing today from a few folks on FB (Then again, take that for what it's worth). Novabus 5000 posted in the scrapped topic saying today was the last day but that's since been edited to say "Disregard" though so who knows.

They're still assigned to depots but I guess it's a waiting game till tomorrow morning to see if any pull out.

1 hour ago, Orion6025 said:

I've been hearing today from a few folks on FB (Then again, take that for what it's worth). Novabus 5000 posted in the scrapped topic saying today was the last day but that's since been edited to say "Disregard" though so who knows.

They're still assigned to depots but I guess it's a waiting game till tomorrow morning to see if any pull out.

Supposedly Ulmer Park's fleet is still active and they've been told they can't run them after Friday

7 hours ago, GojiMet86 said:

Is there a reason why NYCT timetables have the specific date of the new timetable (ex: "Effective as of July 1, 2018), but the MTA Bus timetables just say the pick (ex: "Effective Summer 2018")?

Had the same question, especially since MTA Bus started to finally include the transfers on the maps like NYCT. So with that, I thought MTAB would change over to using the NYCT schedule color scheme, and put the actual effective dates on the front.

Pretty appalling how some MTAB routes -- that are supposedly "audited" yearly, as noted in the Committee service changes -- run schedules IIRC from 2015 when deciphering the "depot code". Because if you're going to change the schedule cover (simply because of the holiday list inside), might as well made any minor tweaks to the schedules -- especially due to the worsening of traffic.

There actually is a "current" Queens route (front cover date) with the holidays listed inside from 2016 or 2017 ..... oops.

8 hours ago, GojiMet86 said:

Is there a reason why NYCT timetables have the specific date of the new timetable (ex: "Effective as of July 1, 2018), but the MTA Bus timetables just say the pick (ex: "Effective Summer 2018")?

NYCT and (MTA) Bus are under different umbrellas so that is the main reason, but the (MTA) has definitely moved to streamline things a bit more to look similar. The picks also start at different times as well for various depots, so that’s another big reason. Makes things easier...

I mean isn’t MABSTOA also a different division too? But they don’t have different timetable fronts and still says MTA NYCT.

I mean I’m pretty sure the general public don’t really care but I guess I just focus on that aspect too much as a rail/busfan 

2 minutes ago, Mtatransit said:

I mean isn’t MABSTOA also a different division too? But they don’t have different timetable fronts and still says MTA NYCT.

I mean I’m pretty sure the general public don’t really care but I guess I just focus on that aspect too much as a rail/busfan 

How the public sees it. 

If it has a blue Stripe = old MTA Bus

If it has Cuomo Scheme = New MTA Bus

If its an RTS = Old a$$ Bus🤣

1 minute ago, BDNQ2345 said:

Ok since the RTS and Orion vii cng is retiring, what they gonna do with the picture of the rts and Orion vii cng on the depot sticker?

I mean, they've updated stickers before...

They could also just leave them be.

1 minute ago, BDNQ2345 said:

Ok since the RTS and Orion vii cng is retiring, what they gonna do with the picture of the rts and Orion vii cng on the depot sticker?

They'll probably just keep it. Unless a depot gets renamed or closes down, there is no reason to change a depot logo.

Now that the RTSes are gone, what buses are you going to look forward to now? Are you going to fan the post 2000s fleet? Or call it quits as the DD50 era is over. As a whole, MTA Buses are whack now. Now granted, MTA is not purchasing buses to appeal to bus enthusiasts and their end goal is to transport people. But as a bus fan, I got to say its going to be pretty dead. As buses get quieter and bland, I can see many enthusiasts "leave the scene". 

Buses I care about now

Orion 7s (old gens)

New Flyer XN40 & XN60 (They are the best looking and Backfire)

And maybe the 4th Gen Novas (2016 - 19).

Everything else is irrelevant to me.

2 minutes ago, Q23 via 108 said:

Now that the RTSes are gone, what buses are you going to look forward to now? Are you going to fan the post 2000s fleet? Or call it quits as the DD50 era is over. As a whole, MTA Buses are whack now. Now granted, MTA is not purchasing buses to appeal to bus enthusiasts and their end goal is to transport people. But as a bus fan, I got to say its going to be pretty dead. As buses get quieter and bland, I can see many enthusiasts "leave the scene". 

Buses I care about now

Orion 7s (old gens)

I fan everything until we go 100% electric😎😎

Except NGs and 7090-7483

27 minutes ago, Q23 via 108 said:

Now that the RTSes are gone, what buses are you going to look forward to now

Orion 7 hybrids (2003-2007), any cuomo buses except the XN40s, the 2015 LFS, the 2011 orion, all those 2010-2013 artics, 2001-2002 mci. That's about it.

58 minutes ago, Q23 via 108 said:

Buses I care about now

Orion 7s (old gens)

Buses I care about now

All Orion’s VII gens up to 2010 

2010 - 2013 & 2016 - 2019 Nova bus LFS & LFSA 

new flyer 2011 - 2013 C40L

XN60s ( their outside interior reminds me of Toronto’s TTC new street cars with wheels )

I most say I’m gonna miss the diversity in the MTA on one route like the bx36 you could choose from RTS, LFS, LFSA, Orion gen hybrid, Orion vii CNG, 1990s Orion , D60hf , new flyer c40lf  the list goes on 

13 minutes ago, Melbx15 said:

I most say I’m gonna miss the diversity in the MTA 

I hear you man. Most depots now will have a 1 model that makes up most of the fleet and than another smaller fleet.

For example.

Casey Stengel is most Next Gen with Some Xcelsior.

JFK is mostly old gen and some Next Gen.

Kingsbridge is a mostly Nova depot with next gens.

Jackie Gleason is mostly C40 with some XN40s

And then there are some depots that just use one fleet like College Point, Ulmer Park, Far Rockaway, or Charleston.

Nowadays you don't even have to look at bus time to see what bus you are going to get.