BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

So 7068 is running on the S54 with it's rear engine hood wide open. Why would they put that in service?

Maybe the engine keeps overheating, would u rather have no bus or a bus that might break down?

pick ur poison LOL

Edited by danielhg121

49 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

So 7068 is running on the S54 with it's rear engine hood wide open. Why would they put that in service?

17 minutes ago, danielhg121 said:

Maybe the engine keeps overheating, would u rather have no bus or a bus that might break down?

pick ur poison LOL

.... Damm Castleton. 

Yukon should of been better off sending some buses to its neighbor crosstown. That bus will be a road call once it reaches the terminal. 

1 hour ago, Lil 57 said:

53 minutes ago, danielhg121 said:

pick ur poison LOL

*snickers*

That sorta thing might be an anomaly for you guys, but pretty regular occurrence around here with DDOT for years. Not as prevalent today, but when the RTSes were out, both DDOT and SMART were guilty of running with the rears partially open. Now mostly the side back flap under the last window is usually seen blowing in the wind.

14 hours ago, DetSMART45 said:

If the MTA was smart, they'd preserve more than just a few RTSes to make money off film crews.

"Seinfeld" fans with box sets: Commentary on the airport episode was that some guy had his own airplane set that, if you wanted to shoot a scene, you practically HAD to rent it from him, or be SOL.

Lots of movies/TV on DVD (Netflix, for you youngsters) have NYC RTSes in them already. And with the way Hollywood has to 'remake' films toward something more "relevant", those rentals could get the MTA some extra cash.

Or just rely on the congestion pricing, and leave that money to someone else.

I’m pretty sure you can put a Xclesior in the film and the general public won’t notice. 

Us rail/bus fans will though 

For the (7) shuttle work, why don’t they use the buses parked in CS lot? It seems incredibly wasteful to drive buses from all over NYC to do the shuttle. They’re wasting time and fuel. A lot of buses they use on the shuttle are 40-footers too, very few artics out. If they used artics more frequently, it would just mean less crowding for everyone else and less drivers on the road. It seems like a win-win. All those Q44 SBS buses just sitting in the lot really irks me. 

Perhaps they could station a dispatcher at CS to sign drivers in and out. They could get a few buses from the adjacent depots to help out but it seems unnecessary to have WF, Yukon here.

1 hour ago, danielhg121 said:

For the (7) shuttle work, why don’t they use the buses parked in CS lot? It seems incredibly wasteful to drive buses from all over NYC to do the shuttle. They’re wasting time and fuel. A lot of buses they use on the shuttle are 40-footers too, very few artics out. If they used artics more frequently, it would just mean less crowding for everyone else and less drivers on the road. It seems like a win-win. All those Q44 SBS buses just sitting in the lot really irks me. 

Perhaps they could station a dispatcher at CS to sign drivers in and out. They could get a few buses from the adjacent depots to help out but it seems unnecessary to have WF, Yukon here.

Think it has to deal with what depots are free. Yukon doesn't need all there buses for weekend service and so as other depots like ENY since the B82 SBS doesn't run on weekends.

On 5/2/2019 at 10:31 AM, FLX9304 said:

Really? Old buses leave and new buses stay, it doesn’t matter what kind of bus it is, I’m fanning all buses but Gilligs

While I don't exactly root for an extinction for a bus type (I should hope no busfanner on a transit forum ever would), seeking to actually embark upon a particular bus type (over another) was never part of this hobby I subscribed to.... Overcrowding permitting, I get on any bus that shows up & try to enjoy the ride accordingly....

How many miles do the Orion 7s Greens from Queens Village have? Those buses are 15+ and I know that those Queens Village routes are long. Manhattanville also has long routes but its alot of stop and go Manhattan traffic. I know that the RTSes can handle high mileage, but I'm curious to see how the Hybrids are faring with old age and mileage.

Today's RTS event was quite fun and a fitting way to ring off 41 years of RTS service in the tri state area (Or 38 if you only want to count NYMTA's). If there are any MTA employees who planned that event on here, or any folks on here who know those who planned the event thank you/please extend my thanks to them for the time and effort they put into planning, organizing, and running the event

I will really miss the RTS. They were my absolute favorite buses, even moreso than the D60HFs and Orion Vs. I've caught them on many, many routes, out of many, many depots. I sadly didn't make it to the display at 2 Broadway mainly because of school, which I couldn't afford to skip. However, I waited at Quill for the RTS to show up, so I could catch them heading back inside the depot. After a little while, I saw both 5241 and 5249 on the West Side Highway, not too far away from the Circle Line ferry terminal (the M42/M50 terminal). What I didn't expect was that the two buses layed over for a little while at the terminal for photo shoots. 

I'll try and post more pics later. But for now, enjoy, and see if you can spot the difference between 5241 and 5249!

Bfi7s0s.jpg

0L7x24J.jpg

lo9MoaP.jpg

Edited by Coney Island Av

1 hour ago, Coney Island Av said:

I'll try and post more pics later. But for now, enjoy, and see if you can spot the difference between 5241 and 5249!

5241 have an orange sign while 5249 has a green sign. I remember living in Brooklyn and back in '08-'12 I went to a summer camp and we were go on trips via the bus and subway and RTS's were king. You could look out the window of my summer camp and see the truckload of RTS buses rolling down the street.

If Nova could only make another RTS bus.