BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

It's in local scheme with SBS stickers at the doors. 

59901926_408590883307002_854310321349722

I heard something about SBS branding being phased out after OMNY goes fully live so it might not ever get SBS wrap 

Looks like they'll go with the SBS Scheme, if you look closely at the door, you can see the scheme under and to some extent the lines on the current local wrap.

13 minutes ago, WestFarms36 said:

Looks like they'll go with the SBS Scheme, if you look closely at the door, you can see the scheme under and to some extent the lines on the current local wrap.

It may be unwrapped. It may not. MTA can do whatever they want at this point as in the future it won't really matter if 6234 gets a new look or not.

3 hours ago, danielhg121 said:

Extremely confused at why there are 3 XD40’s on the Q44. Did they give away all the artics to the (A) shuttle and realize that they didn’t keep spares... All except one of the XD40’s are bunching up with the artics LOL

And they can't even use an artic on the (J) shuttle, but they use some artics on the (A) shuttle. (J) shuttle bus was packed like crazy sardines.

3 hours ago, danielhg121 said:

Extremely confused at why there are 3 XD40’s on the Q44. Did they give away all the artics to the (A) shuttle and realize that they didn’t keep spares... All except one of the XD40’s are bunching up with the artics LOL

There are no Stengel artics on the (A) Shuttle.

15 of them have been taken OOS, probably for routine maintenance work. 

3 minutes ago, Far rockaway said:

And they can't even use an artic on the (J) shuttle, but they use some artics on the (A) shuttle. (J) shuttle bus was packed like crazy sardines.

This weekend's (J) shuttle is operated by the Brooklyn Division. Flatbush is currently short on artics because of these recent moves and they haven't gotten anything back, and Jackie Gleason has yet to put any of their artics on any shuttles.

18 minutes ago, Far rockaway said:

B91 and B92 buses barely have any passengers riding either one of those buses. I saw a lot of empty buses and one bus with one passenger on it.

Like my video I posted, I was the only person on that bus. But we had a white woman riding it, that made 2 of us until she got off at the next stop when the GA dispatcher got on to advise. Then, I was the only person again until I got off at the terminal I took off at

I rode the J shuttle today. Not during rush hours but it wasn't packed. My bus ended up bunching with 2 others and eventually passing them. The lights are so out of sync that buses can easily catch up to its leader. 

I think a Gleason driver also got lost too because as we were approaching Crescent St, he came outta nowhere from a side street with passengers. I thought it was the shuttle going back to Bway Junction but NOPE lol.

Watched a video of the 0010 Metrocard bus, unbelievably there's still a 6v92 in there, blue smoke coming out the ground-level pipe and all! Damn that brings me back! The only sad part is the flipdot got swapped out for a newer one...as "The Phoenix" that bus still had its original single-line display from the GMC order, but now there's a sign from the Nova fleet. Makes sense since they want newer codes in there, but shame given all the oldies the original had (SI routes in the 100s, etc.).

4 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

This weekend's (J) shuttle is operated by the Brooklyn Division. Flatbush is currently short on artics because of these recent moves and they haven't gotten anything back, and Jackie Gleason has yet to put any of their artics on any shuttles.

For now, they received a few XD-60s from the 2017 series (below 6128). 6113 is one of them. There was a mentioning that they are getting these units as the newer 6100s are at Quill. 

15 minutes ago, GojiMet86 said:

I rode the B91/92 today.

I was the only passenger on the B92. And on the B91, only one other person got on at the Plaza, and promptly got off at Lorimer.

1 minute ago, Brillant93 said:

I feel like these L train shuttle things aren't as needed as before. Unlike the original plan when the L train was going to be shutdown from manhattan to Brooklyn most people are going to use the other subway options to get to Brooklyn. 

They've been like that for a while now. However, the B91 between Bedford and Marcy tends to get more riders. Since the B/Os have the assignments until the end of the pick, the service may be curtailed this coming summer. 

Am I the only one that's bothered by the uneven scheduling of B103 buses from Flatbush Avenue, particularly on weekdays? (It starts out okay, but then becomes increasingly uneven from the afternoon until sometime in the evening.)

5 hours ago, Lex said:

Am I the only one that's bothered by the uneven scheduling of B103 buses from Flatbush Avenue, particularly on weekdays? (It starts out okay, but then becomes increasingly uneven from the afternoon until sometime in the evening.)

I'm honestly more bothered with (actual) B103 service from Downtown, say, around the 6-8 pm slot... Buses don't leave Tillary at a 12-15 min clip; matter fact, they tend to leave Tillary, whenever - and it's irritating as all hell.... You would think that when you see 2 (or even 3) buses approaching the layover area by the subway elevator (Cadman Plz/Montague), that 1 of them would immediately drop off w/e pax. & start making the trip back towards Canarsie....

Nope.... Instead, 1 of those buses would go OOS & the other bus(es) would take their layovers & you have no idea how long they're going to be either.....

When I see that happen, I smirk & start making my way towards the B41 stop along Cadman plz....

50 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

I'm honestly more bothered with (actual) B103 service from Downtown, say, around the 6-8 pm slot... Buses don't leave Tillary at a 12-15 min clip; matter fact, they tend to leave Tillary, whenever - and it's irritating as all hell.... You would think that when you see 2 (or even 3) buses approaching the layover area by the subway elevator (Cadman Plz/Montague), that 1 of them would immediately drop off w/e pax. & start making the trip back towards Canarsie....

Nope.... Instead, 1 of those buses would go OOS & the other bus(es) would take their layovers & you have no idea how long they're going to be either.....

When I see that happen, I smirk & start making my way towards the B41 stop along Cadman plz....

Personally, I wouldn't be so quick to do that without relief. Going between Canarsie and Downtown Brooklyn in just one direction is already hell (and I say this as someone who's never operated a bus or truck but has used or considered the B103 multiple times), and immediately going back without so much as a break would likely breed more tension with the unions.

That's not to say that I disagree with the general notion.