Jump to content


Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
EE Broadway Local

BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Fam. Let’s realize something here. These drivers are very much restricted to what they can do in regards to speed and reliability. All this vision zero messed everything up. 

Whether your bus is packed or not there will always be an issue. Transportation is not instant gratification. I’ve bet you heard the saying: You must allow extra time for your commute or just simply leave a bit earlier to get where you are going. 

All of that goes completely against what the MTA/DOT preaches to the commuting public about the wonders of SBS and its implementation. Vision Zero just adds another complication, something that you'd think both agencies would have pushed-back on.

Look on page 44 of the Bronx Overhaul Report and how the MTA makes it seem like the Bx12 today is getting people around at a 20% savings in travel time -- which is unchanged from their first touting the figure over ten years ago. Every time a route is to be changed to SBS, the same propaganda goes out, mainly that "your route is going to get you there faster" once we tear up streets, slap down the wondrous "bus lanes", and put pay stations in.

The whole B82 thing, though, takes the cake. The route supposedly warrants SBS-treatment due to all the boxes being checked when it comes to the service-side. But the oddest thing is the whole "weekdays only" thing, and not running artics. (Once again, look at the SBS propaganda, and how much "all-door" and "3-door" boarding is touted as part of what makes SBS the best thing since sliced bread.) So, there's enough ridership to warrant all of the implementation costs, but only on weekdays? Major contradiction by itself, but also goes against Byford's whole "let's get more people riding by putting more service into off-peak/weekend service" part of his Bus Plan.

The bus-being-packed issue will always be there, but should NOT be such a problem because of all that is promised to the riding public by having SBS in place.

  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, DetSMART45 said:

All of that goes completely against what the MTA/DOT preaches to the commuting public about the wonders of SBS and its implementation. Vision Zero just adds another complication, something that you'd think both agencies would have pushed-back on.

Look on page 44 of the Bronx Overhaul Report and how the MTA makes it seem like the Bx12 today is getting people around at a 20% savings in travel time -- which is unchanged from their first touting the figure over ten years ago. Every time a route is to be changed to SBS, the same propaganda goes out, mainly that "your route is going to get you there faster" once we tear up streets, slap down the wondrous "bus lanes", and put pay stations in.

The whole B82 thing, though, takes the cake. The route supposedly warrants SBS-treatment due to all the boxes being checked when it comes to the service-side. But the oddest thing is the whole "weekdays only" thing, and not running artics. (Once again, look at the SBS propaganda, and how much "all-door" and "3-door" boarding is touted as part of what makes SBS the best thing since sliced bread.) So, there's enough ridership to warrant all of the implementation costs, but only on weekdays? Major contradiction by itself, but also goes against Byford's whole "let's get more people riding by putting more service into off-peak/weekend service" part of his Bus Plan.

The bus-being-packed issue will always be there, but should NOT be such a problem because of all that is promised to the riding public by having SBS in place.

You got a point @DetSMART45  

I feel the 82SBS was a rush job just for the TA to cover themselves. Hey, we get fed money. Let’s do this thing called SBS and conjure the language so that there’s benefit. However, in actually the numbers don’t match the people utilizing the service. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

Fam. Let’s realize something here. These drivers are very much restricted to what they can do in regards to speed and reliability. All this vision zero messed everything up. 

Whether your bus is packed or not there will always be an issue. Transportation is not instant gratification. I’ve bet you heard the saying: You must allow extra time for your commute or just simply leave a bit earlier to get where you are going. 

What i said originally had nothing to do with unrealistic expectations but more so how I’m personally seeing change on service since the SBS was implemented. I understand traffic conditions play a huge part but even still the traffic conditions on the route was the same since it was implemented. I said I just figured it must have been because of the recent pick. 

2 hours ago, DetSMART45 said:

All of that goes completely against what the MTA/DOT preaches to the commuting public about the wonders of SBS and its implementation. Vision Zero just adds another complication, something that you'd think both agencies would have pushed-back on.

Look on page 44 of the Bronx Overhaul Report and how the MTA makes it seem like the Bx12 today is getting people around at a 20% savings in travel time -- which is unchanged from their first touting the figure over ten years ago. Every time a route is to be changed to SBS, the same propaganda goes out, mainly that "your route is going to get you there faster" once we tear up streets, slap down the wondrous "bus lanes", and put pay stations in.

The whole B82 thing, though, takes the cake. The route supposedly warrants SBS-treatment due to all the boxes being checked when it comes to the service-side. But the oddest thing is the whole "weekdays only" thing, and not running artics. (Once again, look at the SBS propaganda, and how much "all-door" and "3-door" boarding is touted as part of what makes SBS the best thing since sliced bread.) So, there's enough ridership to warrant all of the implementation costs, but only on weekdays? Major contradiction by itself, but also goes against Byford's whole "let's get more people riding by putting more service into off-peak/weekend service" part of his Bus Plan.

The bus-being-packed issue will always be there, but should NOT be such a problem because of all that is promised to the riding public by having SBS in place.

The issue with bus lanes is that people park in them all the time and even with truck loading zones. Traffic cops don’t do much to help negate parking in places where there shouldn’t be. The B82 sbs was going to have a lot more bus lanes but was significantly reduced due to community backlash. 

2 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

You got a point @DetSMART45  

I feel the 82SBS was a rush job just for the TA to cover themselves. Hey, we get fed money. Let’s do this thing called SBS and conjure the language so that there’s benefit. However, in actually the numbers don’t match the people utilizing the service. 

It wasn’t as it was in outreach for years before it was implemented. The people who rallied against it claimed it was false but they always held work shops for it. 

Now unlike the M14 sbs that’s a different story. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Flatbush SBS DueceCarrying the topic over here. Yes those Clever Devices don't have a good functionality rate, but try reporting it with Supervision at your depot and see what they can do about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Off topic but is it possible  for ENY to convert  the B15 to a full X equipment  route I been noticing lots of XD40s on the line coming back and not one OG popin out on it. Like for Example  I see tons of them popin up on the B15 at mother Gaston then get on My B35 and check the tracker and check to see what's on the route but surprisingly it was nuthing but all XD40s and its rn too lol Not one OG on the B15.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/13/2019 at 2:39 PM, Lil 57 said:

Looks like the (MTA) used some common sense and closed BusTrek from public access.

It took some buff reporting a bus on Twitter while screenshotting bustrek for that to happen.

  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

It took some buff reporting a bus on Twitter while screenshotting bustrek for that to happen.

Freakin’ douchebag. Whoever he is, he ruined it for everybody...

  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

It took some buff reporting a bus on Twitter while screenshotting bustrek for that to happen.

OH COME ON!!!!!! That was actually useful so I know when to leave my dam house to catch the bus.

Whoever it was that ruined it, rot in ****.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ultimategamer12c said:

Off topic but is it possible  for ENY to convert  the B15 to a full X equipment  route I been noticing lots of XD40s on the line coming back and not one OG popin out on it. Like for Example  I see tons of them popin up on the B15 at mother Gaston then get on My B35 and check the tracker and check to see what's on the route but surprisingly it was nuthing but all XD40s and its rn too lol Not one OG on the B15.

It could have been 3 possible reasons why you were  seeing more XD40 on that day instead of OG.

Bus operator preference

Some of the OG are temporary OOS

Or on that  specific day, they needed some of xD on a specific route for long distance driving for Maintenance purpose.

 

  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

OH COME ON!!!!!! That was actually useful so I know when to leave my dam house to catch the bus.

Whoever it was that ruined it, rot in ****.

Yes because we have no other way to track another bus ever again.

 

/s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Well some of us actually used it to track buses that were NIS or late so we could plan our commutes better.

Obv I know bus time is still here it's just now as informative as bustrek.

And how was this being done?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

It took some buff reporting a bus on Twitter while screenshotting bustrek for that to happen.

Lmfao he tweeted it to the official MTA account no less! I'm dead. The hell did he think was gonna happen? These foamers don't even think.

  • Upvote 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Flatbush SBS Duece said:

Well some of us actually used it to track buses that were NIS or late so we could plan our commutes better.

Obv I know bus time is still here it's just now as informative as bustrek.

@Lawrence St

I see. Not too many people use it for nis buses from most people I know so i apologize.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Yes because we have no other way to track another bus ever again.

 

/s

BusTrek offered more info than BusTime did which is the point, and it also shows ghost buses, which BusTime can’t do.

  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

Lmfao he tweeted it to the official MTA account no less! I'm dead. The hell did he think was gonna happen? These foamers don't even think.

You have the link to the tweet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

BusTrek offered more info than BusTime did which is the point, and it also shows ghost buses, which BusTime can’t do.

Wow... I never tried bustrek but for an operator prospective point of view that info was sharing  too much with the public 🙏😉😝

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

It took some buff reporting a bus on Twitter while screenshotting bustrek for that to happen.

That person gotta be the biggest douchebag. OMG. These new so-called buffs don’t learn etiquette at all. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Flatbush SBS Duece said:

Wow... I never tried bustrek but for an operator prospective point of view that info was sharing too much with the public 🙏😉😝

^^^^ THIS 👍👍 #GivingAwayFamilySecrets

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Talking about Twitter, NYCT Buses' twitter page is so outdated. Their profile pick is an M5 to South Ferry and their banner shows an image of the S79 (Pre SBS) on BusTime.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Flatbush SBS Duece said:

Wow... I never tried bustrek but for an operator prospective point of view that info was sharing  too much with the public 🙏😉😝

I'm not gonna lie @Flatbush SBS Duece, you can even click on a bus and it shows that persons entire paddle for the whole day. I agree it's too much for the public to see. 

Imagine someone walking up to you on the bus like "you just was on break for 2 hrs, why are you 20mins late on your first trip back out LMAOO". 

  • Thanks 1
  • LMAO! 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Flatbush SBS Duece said:

Wow... I never tried bustrek but for an operator prospective point of view that info was sharing  too much with the public 🙏😉😝

Most of the stuff was mumbo jumbo anyway that you couldnt understand unless you were actually involved in operations. Most of us just used it for tracking buses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ROFLMAO with all the panties in a wad over the whole BusTrek stuff. So let's go through this:

a] MTA "somehow" lets BusTrek access be on the public side -- with all their highly-paid characters who *should* be guarding against that actually happening letting it happen. b] People take advantage of it. c] People blab all over about it, and actually use it to "shame" the MTA. d] MTA finally decides to secure it, leading to even more 'secrecy' all of you are up in arms about.

MTA has already said (at least I saw @Via Garibaldi 8 make specific mention of how they told him/his group) to rely on the BusTime for 'true' data, so why do you want to make the "shamer" part of your ridicule? THE MTA IS THE ONE AT FAULT, NOT THE PERSON WHO "BLABBED".

WHY DON'T YOU HOLD THE MTA ACCOUNTABLE? There should be NO discrepancies, period.

Unless there IS something to hide. Apparently there is, but you want to hold the wrong person to account.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, DetSMART45 said:

ROFLMAO with all the panties in a wad over the whole BusTrek stuff. So let's go through this:

a] MTA "somehow" lets BusTrek access be on the public side -- with all their highly-paid characters who *should* be guarding against that actually happening letting it happen. b] People take advantage of it. c] People blab all over about it, and actually use it to "shame" the MTA. d] MTA finally decides to secure it, leading to even more 'secrecy' all of you are up in arms about.

MTA has already said (at least I saw @Via Garibaldi 8 make specific mention of how they told him/his group) to rely on the BusTime for 'true' data, so why do you want to make the "shamer" part of your ridicule? THE MTA IS THE ONE AT FAULT, NOT THE PERSON WHO "BLABBED".

WHY DON'T YOU HOLD THE MTA ACCOUNTABLE? There should be NO discrepancies, period.

Unless there IS something to hide. Apparently there is, but you want to hold the wrong person to account.

You know what, this is kind of true. After all, why run away from the police if you have nothing to hide? The only thing BusTrek featured was exactly how poorly the (MTA) was running its services anyway, and we have a multitude of other apps for public use to track buses.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, DetSMART45 said:

ROFLMAO with all the panties in a wad over the whole BusTrek stuff. So let's go through this:

a] MTA "somehow" lets BusTrek access be on the public side -- with all their highly-paid characters who *should* be guarding against that actually happening letting it happen. b] People take advantage of it. c] People blab all over about it, and actually use it to "shame" the MTA. d] MTA finally decides to secure it, leading to even more 'secrecy' all of you are up in arms about.

MTA has already said (at least I saw @Via Garibaldi 8 make specific mention of how they told him/his group) to rely on the BusTime for 'true' data, so why do you want to make the "shamer" part of your ridicule? THE MTA IS THE ONE AT FAULT, NOT THE PERSON WHO "BLABBED".

WHY DON'T YOU HOLD THE MTA ACCOUNTABLE? There should be NO discrepancies, period.

Unless there IS something to hide. Apparently there is, but you want to hold the wrong person to account.

The thing is, that screenshot that the person posted on twitter exposed bustrek's accessibility to the public. Before that, the only people who really knew about this were fans like us (probably on this website) and a few others, which is a relatively small portion. While virtually nobody here used it with bad intentions in mind, how the rest of the riding public would react, is a different story. Once they go look up the site and play with the features there, knowing that there are more advanced features than bustime, at the very least there would be a few who will guaranteed use that to get at B/O's. If that was never sent to the MTA, then chances are things wouldn't have really changed.

Not saying that there wasn't any issue that could arise of having bustrek accessible like that, but the frustration is with the person doing that, without thinking of the consequences it can have (especially for MTA personnel). 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.