BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

3 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

This is what happens when people complain about old buses (RTSs) and that they need to be retired ASAP even though they were due to retire in less than a year from now.

B44 sbs didn’t use RTSs they took about 10 of FB artics and put them in Manhattan. 

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

B44 sbs didn’t use RTSs they took about 10 of FB artics and put them in Manhattan. 

All because they want to have the M14 SBS ready by June. The (MTA) wants to have SBS using only new scheme buses so that is why they went down that path.

18 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

All because they want to have the M14 SBS ready by June. The (MTA) wants to have SBS using only new scheme buses so that is why they went down that path.

The Quill in general got an additional 30 plus lfsa buses with the new scheme to replace the local fleet they had for the M14. They only took FB newer artics due to the fact they wanted more service to the M14 for the L train project. But even still many displaced riders aren’t taking the bus it’s the J and M trains they are using and they’re using the subway to get to them not the bus. 

6 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

The Quill in general got an additional 30 plus lfsa buses with the new scheme to replace the local fleet they had for the M14. They only took FB newer artics due to the fact they wanted more service to the M14 for the L train project. But even still many displaced riders aren’t taking the bus it’s the J and M trains they are using and they’re using the subway to get to them not the bus. 

Some displaced riders are using the M14 bus since some of them have only used the (L) to get within Manhattan. With (L) service in manhattan reduced to every 20 minutes, those Intra-Manhattan are going to find a new way to get around. Plus this is the opportunity to try something new with street designs, taking the Toronto King Street Transitway project and applying it to 14th Street. 

5 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

Some displaced riders are using the M14 bus since some of them have only used the (L) to get within Manhattan. With (L) service in manhattan reduced to every 20 minutes, those Intra-Manhattan are going to find a new way to get around. Plus this is the opportunity to try something new with street designs, taking the Toronto King Street Transitway project and applying it to 14th Street. 

That some shouldn’t result in taking away service from one of the most highest frequented bus route in nyc. 

The M14 was always supposed to go select anyway and even went with transit way. 

4 minutes ago, Calvin said:

It's a thought that Flatbush may get more NGs from GH/YUK with more LFS on the way. 

Shouldn’t those be going to Manhattanville and Freah Pond to retire the rest of the 2003-04 Orion VIIs and be first 158 of the 2004-05 Orion VIIs?

2 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

That some shouldn’t result in taking away service from one of the most highest frequented bus route in nyc. 

The M14 was always supposed to go select anyway and even went with transit way. 

Apparently the service will be augmented by 15 new XE60s, which won’t start arriving until this Fall, months after the SBS service starts.

2 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

I wouldn't be so quick to say that... How quickly people forget when depots like West Farms and LaGuardia were perennially short buses.

27 minutes ago, Orion6025 said:

Baisley and CP too. 

Sometimes, Spring Creek as well. 

5 hours ago, Brillant93 said:

Brooklyn division shuttles more people than any other borough and yet we lose buses to every other borough. They took those artics off the b44 sbs cause the M14 got more service additions for the L train project even though most riders are taking the M and J trains. What person who need to go to Brooklyn would take a Manhattan bus route to the j train when’s 14th has more subway options? 

The MTA didn’t even think this crap through at all. 

Congratulations, you missed the point.

4 hours ago, Brillant93 said:

I wasn't talking about the B44 SBS. I was talking about the shortage of buses in Brooklyn in general.

On 5/14/2019 at 8:58 AM, Brillant93 said:

The B82 sbs has gotten bad recently. Wait times are longer and I’m not sure if it’s because of the recent pick. Literally last month the wait times for it wasn’t bad at all it was 10 minutes off peak and 6-9 during rush hour. Now I’m waiting for the bus and there’s a 25 minute gap for the sbs the locals are running better than the sbs. Not sure what happened. 

The real problem is the shoulder period, after the morning rush. I take that route regularly (I used to go via the express buses) to CSI, but have found long gaps after the morning rush. That said, how one ends up with a 40-minute gap in service is amazing.  I would argue that the B82 SBS should be out of Ulmer Park, but there is no room there for 22 more buses and something would have to leave or be split---possibly the B36 being split with Flatbush on weekdays. (The first few runs can deadhead via the Belt from Ulmer Park to Spring Creek Towers, and vice versa in the late evening, deadheading via the Belt from Spring Creek Towers back to Ulmer Park, now that all of the bridges between Exits 9 and 14 are complete.) The deadhead from UP to Spring Creek, even with buses capped at 40 mph, would be comparable in time to the run-on and run-off to and from East New York Depot. Additionally, any driver changes could be done at Ulmer Park more easily at the final stop.

7 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

Random thought of the morning: 4241 just finished doing a B44SBS+ run.  Damm, FB extremely short on artics. This whole XD60 order is a complete mess.

What time was that?... Because this morning myself and a few SBS44  was locked in due to the 6 alarm fire on Bedford Ave between Myrtle and Park Ave.  So chances are if this was the hours between 9 - 10:30am there were no SBS44 coming from the bridge since I was block in and 9 other buses and they probably used the local buses to do a quick SBS trip

7 minutes ago, Flatbush SBS Duece said:

What time was that?... Because this morning myself and a few SBS44  was locked in due to the 6 alarm fire on Bedford Ave between Myrtle and Park Ave.  So chances are if this was the hours between 9 - 10:30am there were no SBS44 coming from the bridge since I was block in and 9 other buses and they probably used the local buses to do a quick SBS trip

I want to say 10:30-11:00 was when it was in Sheepshead Bay-Emmons Avenue. 

5 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

I want to say 10:30-11:00 was when it was in Sheepshead Bay-Emmons Avenue. 

it might of been due to the fire. My bus was suppose to leave the bridge but since I was the first bus block in causing 9 others  behind me paling up there were no buses leaving William's to knapp for a good hour until some of the attics managed to turn right on to Myrtle Ave to head back.