BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Lil 57 said:

Why do some buses on SI say TG. instead of VIA on their destination signs?

35 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

On some of the express and local buses, instead of saying something like VIA HYLAN it would say TG. HYLAN. The TG. Would be in very small letters. 

19 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

That's interesting... No idea...

This has Byford written all over it.....

tg - To Garage... fg - From Garage (if you've also seen that)

1 minute ago, Lil 57 said:

Just wondering, was anyone on here filming a video onboard 8605 on the S89 today? I got on the S89 and some someone who I assume was filming the bus ride since he had his phone up.

Maybe it will appear on YouTube eventually (if they even were filming).

2 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

1 hour ago, Lil 57 said:

On some of the express and local buses, instead of saying something like VIA HYLAN it would say TG. HYLAN. The TG. Would be in very small letters. 

58 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

This has Byford written all over it.....

tg - To Garage... fg - From Garage (if you've also seen that)

I've seen those dating back a few years now, specifically on the Prevosts. Some of those buses for whatever reason have the TG. on it. The MCIs never had them. 

The X22 is another one which has the TG, if the right bus is on it.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

9 hours ago, Fuseguy is Cool said:

Can someone tell me why BusTrek now says " Your account type does not have the required privileges to access Route Management Tool?" I am a YouTuber Fuseguy is Cool who is a transit fan. 

Yeah, so are 99 point floating 9 percent of us on here are transit fans too.... Anyway, looks like you've missed the memo... We had a brief discussion about it in this very thread earlier on this week (check back like 4 or 5 pages)....

To sum it up, basically someone went bitching on an MTA affiliated twitter page about a late bus (during the wee hours of the morning) & posted a screenshot of bustrek as proof.....

Thanks to that, the MTA has barred any public viewing of what Bustrek had to offer....

6 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Fun fact that I've just learned. LFSA buses only have 8 wheels. XD60s have the usual 10. 

Because the LFS has a much more even wheelbase and a shorter trailer section than the XD60. The LFS articulated wheelbase is 22'/22'9"...a rigid LFS has a wheelbase of 22' as well. It's probably somewhere like 38'/24".

12 hours ago, Fuseguy is Cool said:

Can someone tell me why BusTrek now says " Your account type does not have the required privileges to access Route Management Tool?" I am a YouTuber Fuseguy is Cool who is a transit fan. 

If you're asking this, then you obviously aren't authorized to use it.  🙄

17 hours ago, JeremiahC99 said:

Almost all of the Brooklyn Division is hella short on buses. At this point, I don’t even know how they are making adequate rush hour service. I mean Fresh Pond’s making service with 201 buses when they really need 219, while Flatbush has 230 when they need around 250 buses? What the hell is going on here (unless that is something above your pay grade)?

They need 219? Since when?

Historically, Fresh Pond always made service(with spares) below that amount you've stated.....so I'm not sure where you're pulling that number from. Ever since they lost both of their shares of the B38 & Q58, they've had no need to get to that amount that you've stated....they've always made service and had spares between 200 and 209 buses.

And Flatbush needs 250? It's close, but not to that amount exactly....a handful of artics and 40ft buses would offset their losses, but they don't need that actual amount of 250 buses.

16 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Above Future ENY OP's pay grade huh?? Alright, chump...

Explain... and prove.... in detail.... with specificity, how you come to the benchmark & conclusion that FP "needs" exactly 219 buses & Flatbush "needs" around 250....

Go on, Mr. C.E.NO....

Clock's ticking.....

200.gif

ROFLMAO.

I'd buy you a drink for this.

15 hours ago, Brillant93 said:

The Quill in general got an additional 30 plus lfsa buses with the new scheme to replace the local fleet they had for the M14. They only took FB newer artics due to the fact they wanted more service to the M14 for the L train project. But even still many displaced riders aren’t taking the bus it’s the J and M trains they are using and they’re using the subway to get to them not the bus. 

We've been over this. Those 36 LFSAs would NOT have replaced ALL of the local LFSAs.....

First and foremost, they had far more local LFSAs than the extra 36 buses they just got. Second, and most importantly, you and several others are forgetting about the spare factor at Quill. If you send MORE local buses to The Bronx while sending MORE SBS buses on the M14....that greatly reduces the spare factor of SBS buses at Quill, hence why they are getting these extra XD60s. Quill currently has 18 local LFSAs left, so I'm pretty sure that's more than evident that they would not have replaced the local fleet entirely.....especially when they had roughly 50 or so local LFSAs prior to this happening. This is primarily why Quill is getting a batch of XD60s, to continue replacing the entire local fleet, and to increase the spare factor.

To further prove the point, the XD60 fleet has been mostly exclusive to the M14 as of late due to the arrival of the new LFSAs. And if anyone has ventured onto 14th Street since that has happened, you can clearly tell that even WITH that change, there are still local LFSAs left because there's just not enough SBS buses to cover all of the articulated routes at once, while maintaining a decent spare factor.

I remember posting my theory about this in the Fleets & Depots thread, it was challenged by several people, and look what's happening, this exact scenario....:lol:

15 hours ago, JeremiahC99 said:

Some displaced riders are using the M14 bus since some of them have only used the (L) to get within Manhattan. With (L) service in manhattan reduced to every 20 minutes, those Intra-Manhattan are going to find a new way to get around. Plus this is the opportunity to try something new with street designs, taking the Toronto King Street Transitway project and applying it to 14th Street. 

Yeah......no. Most of those (L) line riders are not even bothering with the M14. They're piling onto the (M) more than taking that bus anywhere.

10 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

It's just a glitched destination sign.

Edited by Cait Sith

1 hour ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

I think the new LFS might be the first buses in a long time to not feature a built in Stop Requested sign. You have to rely on the new screens now which is dope as long as they don't glitch and are always working. 

I'd say they work 50% of the time... like what is up with those screens?

7 hours ago, Bay Ridge Express said:

I'd say they work 50% of the time... like what is up with those screens?

When the actual physical screens are on, the Stop Requested section always works along with the ads for when I've been on them. Its the next stop information that be the problem (for version 2 at least). 

Send a bus to S.I to get a taste of how it HAULS! (also you can see here how you need to rely only on the screen to see if the stop as been requested), and of course, the next stop information isn't working. 

To get an idea of just how messed up B8 service is, even when they provide extra service, they mess it up. Two Brownsville-bound B8s leave at the same time (one a minute behind the other) from the 95 St terminal and they automatically bunch. Can't even blame traffic for that one. And it's not the B6 either.

1 hour ago, Orion6025 said:

5227 the RTS has apparently been preserved by the NJ Transportation Heritage Center

I hope they know that the bus is capped at 40 mph and that they will need to reset the speed limiter.

--- REPLY ENDS HERE ---

All of the local buses have driver shields. However, I would argue that the express buses should have driver shields as well. It's because a bus driver was stabbed to death earlier today in Tampa, FL (news story and aftermath (WARNING: Graphic image).

I would go so far that a driver shield should be made standard for all "urban transit" buses nationwide.

Edited by aemoreira81

4 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

When the actual physical screens are on, the Stop Requested section always works along with the ads for when I've been on them. Its the next stop information that be the problem (for version 2 at least).

The Clever Devices ones are often completely blank or the left side is completely blank

On 5/17/2019 at 10:22 AM, Future ENY OP said:

Random thought of the morning: 4241 just finished doing a B44SBS+ run.  Damm, FB extremely short on artics. This whole XD60 order is a complete mess.

It’s not the XD60 order. Well, it kinda is but it mostly isn’t. The RTS’ weren’t supposed to be retired till later this year.

I think had they kept more of the RTS’ in Quill and sent those LFS’s to Brooklyn (that long term vision for Brooklyn to be New Flyer territory really torched them) we may not have had this mess.

Edited by paulrivera