Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
EE Broadway Local

BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Honestly I've been riding buses for 8 years now and not one bus broke down on me or has gotten into an accident. Thank God and let's keep that streak going. 

4 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

I like your analogy on maintenance 😂🤔. However, @WestFarms36 pretty much sum up what i wanted to say. 

However, just like vehicles. Buses have to be maintained. 

Don’t complain when your bus breaks down. 

Well in order to add on to what I said earlier as well, there is no way for a depot to call a bus coming from elsewhere "your own", because this is after all the (MTA) New York City Bus, it's not like the bus is going to be given off or sold to someone else, where by then the story would be different of course. In this case the analogy isn't too accurate since the bus still would remain under (MTA) Jurisdiction, just different division; I'd love to clarify something here which many usually have a misconception on... Depot's don't "own" buses or have exclusive rights to them, these are simply different depots across the city with assigned buses operating under one entity, and of course equipment, mileage, age, and practices may vary from depot to depot in either positive or negative ways, but this doesn't give the proper Justification of having a thought process where buses are its one separate entity just because its at Gun Hill or Yukon, this is a matter of the fleet being distributed based on metrics, mileage, age, need, and other logistics we probably don't even know of; Of course the Next Gens are leaving the island, and Yukon isn't too stellar on their maintenance, but trying to opinion-ate yourself on how you feel things should be driven based on factors that the DOB probably doesn't give 2 flying f**ks about, most likely isn't going to cut it... The most we can do is bring up these issues to the (MTA) and or elected officials for a change in prevailing culture, but in the meanwhile all we can do is breathe and wait to see what happens afterwards.

12 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

That said, maintenance still suffers as the depot may not have the parts needed.

amen. the problem I've always had with staten island is that they don't have their own Central Maintenance Facility/paint booth, etc. staten island suffers from having to send buses off the island (if they even elect to... see the 42xx-series SBS NG's) for semi-routine upkeep/paint. that should be addressed by the powers that be

16 minutes ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

amen. the problem I've always had with staten island is that they don't have their own Central Maintenance Facility/paint booth, etc. staten island suffers from having to send buses off the island (if they even elect to... see the 42xx-series SBS NG's) for semi-routine upkeep/paint. that should be addressed by the powers that be

What would it take to give Staten Island those capabilities?

16 minutes ago, Lex said:

What would it take to give Staten Island those capabilities?

whatever it took to finally get Charleston Depot off the ground 😂 in all honesty there should've been some sort of provision that any new depot built out there would be dual purpose depot/CMF... Charleston would've been perfect for that location-wise

7 hours ago, WestFarms36 said:

Maintenance is essential, regardless of a bus's day's being numbered... That is no excuse to as how these Next Gens are in bad shape. Maintenance is vital in order to maintain a bus in state of good repair, and yes you might have mini Gun Hill's rolling around the system, but a bus leaving is no excuse to just dump it, because if any delay happens with an incoming order, or any unexpected plans that could keep them there longer than projected would basically be a living hell if buses stopped being maintained.

Considering that Staten Island's NGs have been on the longest Staten Island routes out there, that adds more problems to the buses over time from the mileage. The 24/7 cycles doesn't help either.

On top of that, the majority of NGs out there have stayed there since delivery. They most likely have the most miles out of any other NG fleet in the system. The 3800s and 3900s were booted out of the Island much faster than what the Island has now.

8 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Those NGs do not count...are you out there riding their buses all the time?? 

Of course the NGs are going to have to most problems, they've been driven to death on fast S.I routes. The batteries and such cannot handle all of that, imagine years of that, especially with crowded buses and long stretches of hilly roads.  And as of late...Yukon clearly knows the NGs are leaving...so why maintain something you know you're not gonna have in a few months? Spend your time on your own equipment, that's like working on a project or creating an idea and someone taking it and calling it their own, you've wasted your time. So I'm not surprised that Yukon is focusing on only the Novas LMAOO. 

Actually, the batteries can handle it. That's why they got those batteries instead of keeping the older ones. If they still had those 3800s, there would be a hell of a lot more problems.

The issue with the hybrids, other than being ran into the ground, is the fact that they are governed so damn low out there.

6 hours ago, MHV184 said:

Funny enough that Quill couldn't run their NGs from Yukon the minute they came but when Yukon sent their NGs to Manhattanville it hasn't broken down or seen any problems. Literally the select bus service NGs were running on the M98 the next day and mind you it's a highway.

It's not that they couldn't. They came with problems that had to be addressed before they were good for service.

35 minutes ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

whatever it took to finally get Charleston Depot off the ground 😂 in all honesty there should've been some sort of provision that any new depot built out there would be dual purpose depot/CMF... Charleston would've been perfect for that location-wise

The way Charleston is arranged in terms of it's layout is strange, and there's a lot of wasted interior space in that depot too around the upper level.

With the last of the DD50 powered buses being retired (RTS/D60/Orion V & VII CNG, old C40LF) the rear seats on top of the engine being super hot on warm weather days is pretty much a thing of the past. Some of the Novas get hot in the rear but not as hot as those Detroit powered buses did. 

So there's already some visible work going on at the Rockaway Parkway (L).

The globe lights and "BUS & SUBWAY" text on top of the station house seems to have been repainted or replaced with replicas. In addition, that electric gate that's supposed to prevent people from sneaking for a free ride onto the :bus_bullet_b42: loading area and subway platforms is being taken apart as is the fence that seperates the :bus_bullet_b6: and :bus_bullet_b42:.

I wonder how the free (L)/:bus_bullet_b42: transfer is gonna work after construction finishes this fall (assuming the gate might be removed). I also wonder what would become of those old trolley poles.

12 minutes ago, RTSTdrive said:

I wonder how the free (L)/:bus_bullet_b42: transfer is gonna work after construction finishes this fall (assuming the gate might be removed). I also wonder what would become of those old trolley poles.

There is no real need or demand for this free transfer anymore. If anything if there is demand add an extra transfer and call it a day.

• Upvote 1

Interesting thought: 8574 from Yukon is on the S79 right now doing a SBS trip. Spotted in Bay Ridge. 

I guess Yukon is holding on to their NG’s for a bit longer. 

10 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Interesting thought: 8574 from Yukon is on the S79 right now doing a SBS trip. Spotted in Bay Ridge. 

I guess Yukon is holding on to their NG’s for a bit longer. 

Well since there isn't any SBS LFS' out let, they use the SBS NG's on the S79. The new LFS' frequently show up on the S79 now. 

Since all of the LFS' haven't been delivered yet, there are still some NG's out there. There is only 21 local NG's left (down from 48) so they did some progress for the local buses. 

13 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

There is no real need or demand for this free transfer anymore. If anything if there is demand add an extra transfer and call it a day.

They are upgrading the bus transfer by making it ADA accessible. Nothing is happening to it.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

I heard the Q26 is going to be cut later during the fall season. Either discontinued or time adjusted. 

6 minutes ago, Calvin said:

I heard the Q26 is going to be cut later during the fall season. Either discontinued or time adjusted. 

If that was in the Q12 thread, take it with a heap of salt.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Calvin said:

Don’t believe everything you take or see. 

35 minutes ago, Lex said:

If that was in the Q12 thread, take it with a heap of salt.

25 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Don’t believe everything you take or see. 

If that were to actually happen, I wouldn't be surprised. The MTA is trying to gut as much service as possible before the borough redesign plans are released so they have less service to redistribute.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

4 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

If that were to actually happen, I wouldn't be surprised. The MTA is trying to gut as much service as possible before the borough redesign plans are released so they have less service to redistribute.

They'll axe service regardless; before the fact, as part of the redesigns themselves, and/or after the fact.....

I don't see service cuts as some sort of prerequisite.

• Upvote 3

The other day I had an Idea for an S57 service adjustment.

Wagner high school is one of the biggest high school in the city. However, the closest bus (or any mode of public transportation) on the Weekends since the S54 doesn't run at those times, is the S57 which is about a half a mile from the school, which can be a PITA walk in cold weather. HS kids go to school on the weekends for all sorts of things like sports and classes on the weekends so bus service should be available to them. My plan is to have approximately half of the buses serve Wagner HS by making a left on Brielle and south on Manor and then left on Rockland and continue the normal route and vise versa. The other buses would continue to serve Seaview Hospital. S57 service to Wagner HS would run 7 days a week. Ridership in the greenbelt is low so this adjustment wouldn't have a huge impact on people.

Here's a mock schedule, tell me what you think!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fEhw-4kMXZMjAqI3edb1hJsbSJOmx3FeFD7rFGEiCT4/edit?usp=sharing

Random thought of the day: Ulmer Park slaps ads on their newer XD40’s.  Only issue I have is that with the newer XD40’s the rear ad is not in its usual position like the 2015 XD40’s.  Some buses have a 30x215 Northfield Bank billboard. 

..... also Gun Hill and Flatbush slapping ads on their SBS fleet. 

There was an NYCT 2200 MCI from SI out on Long Island doing the emergency LIRR shuttle bus due to the derailment, there was also school buses and NICE Bus equipment working the shuttle, I saw this on the news about the derailment. If a fanner was able to make it out there they must have had an great time 😃

6 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

Random thought of the day: Ulmer Park slaps ads on their newer XD40’s.  Only issue I have is that with the newer XD40’s the rear ad is not in its usual position like the 2015 XD40’s.  Some buses have a 30x215 Northfield Bank billboard.

Saw 7567 today on the :bus_bullet_b64: (which had a 30x215 Northfield ad and one of the new Oatly ads on the rear) and I really like the new placement.

The older ad placement meant that the top of the ad was placed on a crease and it just didn't look good. Now it's standardized between Novas and Xcelsiors and the ads fit both.

Edited by Around the Horn
  • Upvote 2

So much for "Gridlock Alert Day". All my bus trips were smooth as coldbrew. Them calling gridlock alert (via Twitter) worked in getting traffic off the streets -_-

1 hour ago, Missabassie said:

So much for "Gridlock Alert Day". All my bus trips were smooth as coldbrew. Them calling gridlock alert (via Twitter) worked in getting traffic off the streets -_-

Friday or Saturday? 

The NJ Turnpike, LIE and Van Wyck were crushed during the afternoon rush on Friday. 

8 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

Saw 7567 today on the :bus_bullet_b64: (which had a 30x215 Northfield ad and one of the new Oatly ads on the rear) and I really like the new placement.

The older ad placement meant that the top of the ad was placed on a crease and it just didn't look good. Now it's standardized between Novas and Xcelsiors and the ads fit both.

The only thing I would like to see more for (MTA) NYCT is to invest more on ads that actually fit on the NOVAS similar to SEPTA. Since now NYCT has these SEPTA Novas the Vision Zero ad is a perfect example (Top portion only) could be used on the MQ/GH buses.  

Too bad that UP can’t slap a 30x240 ad on these XD40 since those are reserved for express. Many years ago when the 18xx buses were local they had 30x240 ads, and also saw some one on 3160, and 47xx buses. However, UP finally making good progress on these buses. Oh, side ad-passenger side is Harbor Fitness (Bay Ridge based gym).