BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

20 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Hold up. Did the B41 or B3 at one point (part-time) go to East 74th Street-Bergen Avenue and Avenue U. I’m a little ignorant when it becomes to Bergen Beach bus service. 

The B3 used to go south of Avenue U and deeper into Bergen Beach at all times, before 2010. 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

• Replies 38.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

The B3 used to go south of Avenue U and deeper into Bergen Beach at all times, before 2010. 

Copy. Which could only mean that other side of Bergen Beach is car centric and not wise for the B3 or B41 to service south of East 71 & Avenue U. 

8 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

I would die if i saw this for real 😂

56490509_669160860208819_232577967454466

4 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Nobody's getting off that damn thing. Those dwell times are gonna be through the roof. 

Yesterday I saw one of those Prevosts along Port Richmond Ave with a B92 sign.

I was on a detoured S48 today and the B/O was playing pick and choose when it came to picking people up along Castleton. It seemed like he would only pick up if the bus was stopped at a red light or if someone wanted to get off. I got on at Heberton but I assume that was because the bus was stopped at a red traffic light. Got me to the ferry in 20 minutes from Port Richmond but that was mainly because he made around 5-7 stops before the ferry.

Edited by Lil 57

1 minute ago, Future ENY OP said:

Accurate: 2800’s are used for the service. Do some prevosts still work the S57, S59 or any Castelton/Charleston routes during mid-day before heading back to Manhattan during PM rush. 

Not that I've seen.

25 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

I was on a detoured S48 today and the B/O was playing pick and choose when it came to picking people up along Castleton. It seemed like he would only pick up if the bus was stopped at a red light or if someone wanted to get off. I got on at Heberton but I assume that was because the bus was stopped at a red traffic light. Got me to the ferry in 20 minutes from Port Richmond but that was mainly because he made around 5-7 stops before the ferry.

The B/O could have been instructed by dispatch to do drop-off only as he might have been running late. I’ve experienced this before.

Edited by S78 via Hylan

1 hour ago, S78 via Hylan said:

The B/O could have been instructed by dispatch to do drop-off only as he might have been running late. I’ve experienced this before.

regarding flagging stops & drop off only, it's way too risky to do anything unless instructed to do so by a SLD or console. you'd have to be a natural born fool that doesn't like earning a paycheck to play games out there these days. way too many ways to get caught (or caught up) 

1 hour ago, Future ENY OP said:

Accurate: 2800’s are used for the service. Do some prevosts still work the S57, S59 or any Castelton/Charleston routes during mid-day before heading back to Manhattan during PM rush. 

As late as last june they were regularly doing s55/56 trippers

3 minutes ago, Orion6025 said:

That's true. Recently ( it was a while back), that was stopped and regular S.I local fleet was used for the school trips. 

3 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Nobody's getting off that damn thing. Those dwell times would be through the roof. 

It’d be taken out of service by the 2nd or 3rd stop. The amount of fist fighting on that bus would make a 2am bar fight look like glee club.

2 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Always thought it would be cool if the M98 & S89 used OTR coaches regularly. 

The old B103 (vía BQE) and Q10A (JFK-Kew Gardens express) would’ve been great for coach buses as well.

15 hours ago, DetSMART45 said:

Most of the Outfront products are available "systemwide", except for Super Kings (M only), Ultra Super Kings (M and B only), and Queens (M and Bx only) according to the latest media book. One would think Express buses are included under the "systemwide" umbrella, but no distinctions are given.

The current media book does not contain any of the "live areas" per bus model like previous books (and the NYC book was one that actually had that). But the way the MTA has those Tails and "Franklins" (upper & lower Tail) spec'd are not as effective as would a Tail (lower only) and Fullback (entire back, top/bottom/side/side) be.

Also interesting is how Outfront has all the examples (except for an Extension shown on an Express bus and a King on a D60HF) depicted on Orions -- no examples of XDs or Nova LFS/LFSAs. (Headlights used to be pictured on RTSes and Orions.) Active areas will be different, still, between all the models -- so that could mean a potential advertiser having to modify their presentation to fit. We've got plenty of examples running around where Kings fit perfectly on the DDOT D40LFs but look like crap on the SMART Gilligs because they "float" too much against the three new livery schemes.

With the way MTA needs money, still amazes me in the #1 ad market that full, 3/4 and junior Wraps aren't allowed. DDOT pulled some good money about 3-4 years ago (following the "recession") when a local lawyer had a pink-scheme Full Wrap on around 15 buses. Talk about easily spotting those around town.

I am interested in seeing the options that (MTA) offers via Outfront Media with the advertising formats available.

Newsday story yesterday about the LIRR Montauk crash/suspension talked about how MTA couldn't secure buses to run the "shuttle". Also talked about finally getting school buses and the like. Wonder how many of those LIRR riders would have welcomed a trip on those RTSes sent to the graveyard over school buses, small vans, rickshaws or whatever the MTA finally scraped together........

9 hours ago, Orion6025 said:

8 hours ago, Calvin said:

That's true. Recently ( it was a while back), that was stopped and regular S.I local fleet was used for the school trips. 

They stopped that during the infamous August pick.

On 5/26/2019 at 3:32 AM, Cait Sith said:

Friday or Saturday? 

The NJ Turnpike, LIE and Van Wyck were crushed during the afternoon rush on Friday. 

Saturday. Friday was a different animal entirely..... In retrospect, I had forgotten that this is a holiday weekend cuz I've got no special plans.

On 5/26/2019 at 9:11 AM, Future ENY OP said:

The only thing I would like to see more for (MTA) NYCT is to invest more on ads that actually fit on the NOVAS similar to SEPTA. Since now NYCT has these SEPTA Novas the Vision Zero ad is a perfect example (Top portion only) could be used on the MQ/GH buses.  

Too bad that UP can’t slap a 30x240 ad on these XD40 since those are reserved for express. Many years ago when the 18xx buses were local they had 30x240 ads, and also saw some one on 3160, and 47xx buses. However, UP finally making good progress on these buses. Oh, side ad-passenger side is Harbor Fitness (Bay Ridge based gym). 

SEPTA Novas, thats exactly what I call them too.....

3 hours ago, DetSMART45 said:

Wonder how many of those LIRR riders would have welcomed a trip on those RTSes sent to the graveyard over school buses, small vans, rickshaws or whatever the MTA finally scraped together........

The only issue here is they already sold off the remaining RTSes to scrap.

18 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

The B/3 was extended to East 74th street and Avenue X from approximately 6:45 AM - 9 PM only.

1 of every 2 (possibly 3) buses terminated there with the rest of the service terminated at East 71st Street at all times.