BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

57 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

Also, they were governed to 40 MPH. Slow for LI.

Not all of them. And that also wouldn't matter, as local buses have worked LIRR shuttles. 

3 hours ago, Missabassie said:

Saturday. Friday was a different animal entirely..... In retrospect, I had forgotten that this is a holiday weekend cuz I've got no special plans.

Technically, Friday was the gridlock alert day. 

Edited by Cait Sith

• Replies 38.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, BrightlinerNewFlyer said:

Hi,

Recently, I have seen bus #4259 on the M4. It was a normal Orion bus, except it had a weird font for the destination sign, and the screens inside the bus were different than other Orion screens. Does anyone know what this is about?

Thanks,

BrightlinerNewFlyer

This unit was previously SBS wrapped for the S79 bus in Staten Island. Some Orions have those screens.

Hi,

Recently, I have seen bus #4259 on the M4. It was a normal Orion bus, except it had a weird font for the destination sign, and the screens inside the bus were different than other Orion screens. Does anyone know what this is about?

Thanks,

BrightlinerNewFlyer

Remember that bus was ex- S79 SBS. Those buses had different screens and a different font for the blue sign.

1 hour ago, BrightlinerNewFlyer said:

Yes, but this was an entirely different font than all others, including the S79 SBS bus I saw a few weeks ago.

As mentioned, those NGs have Luminator Spectrums signs.

However, the SBS programs are programmed slightly different from the other bus routes. The fonts are slightly different from program to program.

7 minutes ago, BrightlinerNewFlyer said:

Also, does anyone know if (or when) New Flyer Xcelsior buses will replace the Orion VII Originals and NGs?

The 2006-2010 Orions are not going away anytime soon. Especially the Next Gens since a lot are equipped with screens.

32 minutes ago, BrightlinerNewFlyer said:

Also, does anyone know if (or when) New Flyer Xcelsior buses will replace the Orion VII Originals and NGs?

There was a thread that outlined all the upcoming deliveries and retirement dates a couple years ago but IDK what happened to it...

The 2020-2021 hybrid order will replace the remaining OGs with the 2008 NGs having until the end of 2022 (probably would be replaced by AEBs).

Also, will all of the Crosstown buses be SBS? I mean the M23, M34/34A, M86, Bx6, M79, and M60 are, so will they change the M8, M14A/D, M42, M66, M72, M96, M106, and M116 be turned into SBS too? I think it's a good idea.

Well, I mean it's not going to happen, but just a thought

The M14A/D are definitely going Select Bus, with 14th Street between 3rd and 9th Avenues closed to car traffic during most of the day. That’s why the XD60 order assignments were changed. The M96 is to be next, and is supposed to be out of Manhattanville Depot. As far as the others (M8, M42, M50, M66, M72, M106, and M116), it is unsure as it appears that ridership does not warrant it. Also, 8th/9th Streets, 49th/50th Streets, 65th/66th Streets and others may not be wide enough for substantial bus treatment.

3 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

The M14A/D are definitely going Select Bus, with 14th Street between 3rd and 9th Avenues closed to car traffic during most of the day. That’s why the XD60 order assignments were changed.

You're right, I forgot.

3 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

The M96 is to be next, and is supposed to be out of Manhattanville Depot

I think it is already out of Manhattanville depot. Will it actually happen in the near future?

1 minute ago, BrightlinerNewFlyer said:

You're right, I forgot.

I think it is already out of Manhattanville depot. Will it actually happen in the near future?

It is already out of Manhattanville Depot. Some think that the M96 SBS should be out of Quill to have all the SBS crosstown lines maintained out of one depot. However, with new XDE40s on the way, that would not be necessary. 20 XDE40s would be allocated for the M96 SBS anyway, when it does come.

If SBS scheme gets phased out, I think I have an 💡

(NYCTA) “M” should try this method: 

local buses in regular blue

limited buses in purple paint (but limited bus routes must be renumbered) 

SBS buses in sky blue paint

express buses (BxM, BM, QM & the SIM games) in green paint. 

But let’s just wait until the DOB decides on when they’ll start using Accordion buses on the Brooklyn Forty-six select bus service

39 minutes ago, BrightlinerNewFlyer said:

Weird question: Why is the M98 a local route? Shouldn't it be express, and then be extended to the Bronx (sort of like the BxM1 in Inwood)? I know they'dhaveto change the routing significantly, but it would probably boost ridership

Actually, before 2010, The Manhattan Ninety-Eight went as far as 33rd & Lex, then it was truncated to 67th. That’s number one, number two, it’s a limited peak service

23 minutes ago, FLX9304 said:

Actually, before 2010, The Manhattan Ninety-Eight went as far as 33rd & Lex, then it was truncated to 67th. That’s number one, number two, it’s a limited peak service

I know, by change the routing, I meant change the routing in Upper Manhattan. But wouldn't it be better as an express service?