BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

Would transfers be available?

Yes, but only between bus routes that have OMNY (or connect to the free SI Ferry) and subway stations that have OMNY.

So S62-ferry- (4)(5) is good but S62-ferry- (1)(R)(W) is no good. Same for the S79 to the (R) at Bay Ridge (although if you get on in Manhattan at a stop with OMNY readers like Union Square, it will work for the reverse trip)

9 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Yes, but only between bus routes that have OMNY (or connect to the free SI Ferry) and subway stations that have OMNY.

So S62-ferry- (4)(5) is good but S62-ferry- (1)(R)(W) is no good. Same for the S79 to the (R) at Bay Ridge (although if you get on in Manhattan at a stop with OMNY readers like Union Square, it will work for the reverse trip)

So, essentially, if you are the following customers, you can wow yourself as being part of the OMNY "future":

a] Subway-only one-seat rider; b] Subway-subway (participating stations only) rider in both directions; c] Staten Island bus to mainland subway (participating stations only, again) rider in both directions; d] Staten Island-Staten Island local bus only (stay on the island); e] Staten Island bus to mainland, then hoofing it around wherever you get dropped ...

Anything other that those scenarios, and you end up paying multiple fares. So you can't go from SI to Brooklyn and use any local B-routes, same with do Express Bus to Manhattan and get on any local M-routes to get where you're truly going. Somewhere, you pay with OMNY, then have to whip out your Metrocard and pay again.

From the OMNY FAQ:

Important: You must use the same fare payment system throughout each individual trip to qualify for benefits like free transfers. For example, if you use OMNY to ride the subway, you must use OMNY to obtain your free transfer to a local bus that is equipped with OMNY. You cannot switch between OMNY and MetroCard and still obtain your free transfer. If you switch between OMNY and MetroCard during an individual trip, your transfer will be treated as a new trip, and you will be charged for your transfer.

Over at OMNY.info you CAN register so as to track your OMNY "purchases"/travels, but the biggest omission of registering an OMNY account and then adding your Metrocard serial number to tie the two together (so you retain access to the ENTIRE system) is something worthy of multiple double-facepalms.

Yesterday I got to see the bronx redesign and well caught me by surprise was that the mta is trying to split the Bx15 to have the regular Bx15 go to Fordham and The Hub while this new route that they created which will be the M125 will run from The Hub to Manhattanville via 125st now what are your thoughts on this? As well as which depot should cover this new route? The M125

I'm loving OMNY so far. 

I commute from S.I to the city via S.I Local bus-Ferry- (4)(5) at Bowling Green. I used it Friday afternoon and it was successful, now today I've updated my Wallet on my phone to have my Express Transit card be synced to Apple pay. So now I can add money to Apple Pay and from my debit card, and just tap my phone on the reader and it'll charge my apple pay card (even when my phone screen is off, it's just automatically set to scan whenever a reader is right next to it). I'll still keep a $5.50 Metrocard for other times I use other lines that don't have it, but for now it's coming in handy. 

1 hour ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

I'm loving OMNY so far. 

I commute from S.I to the city via S.I Local bus-Ferry- (4)(5) at Bowling Green. I used it Friday afternoon and it was successful, now today I've updated my Wallet on my phone to have my Express Transit card be synced to Apple pay. So now I can add money to Apple Pay and from my debit card, and just tap my phone on the reader and it'll charge my apple pay card (even when my phone screen is off, it's just automatically set to scan whenever a reader is right next to it). I'll still keep a $5.50 Metrocard for other times I use other lines that don't have it, but for now it's coming in handy. 

Just be careful to keep your cards away from that scanner. There are some issues with reader erroneously reading cards that it shouldn’t, so only keep whatever you plan on scanning near that thing.

1 hour ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

I'm loving OMNY so far. 

It’s only day 2. Don’t get too hype. As with technology there are bugs. 

4 hours ago, MHV184 said:

Yesterday I got to see the bronx redesign and well caught me by surprise was that the mta is trying to split the Bx15 to have the regular Bx15 go to Fordham and The Hub while this new route that they created which will be the M125 will run from The Hub to Manhattanville via 125st now what are your thoughts on this? As well as which depot should cover this new route? The M125

I get why they would split it because traffic on 125th Street can be horrendous slowing every route that travels through there. However I can’t help but think that the creation of the M125 will allow the MTA to give the M125 crappy headway’s because 125th Street is also shared with the M60, M100 and M101. 

26 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I get why they would split it because traffic on 125th Street can be horrendous slowing every route that travels through there. However I can’t help but think that the creation of the M125 will allow the MTA to give the M125 crappy headway’s because 125th Street is also shared with the M60, M100 and M101. 

It would be a shorter route so it probably would run less frequently compared to the other two. But keep in mind Manhattan still has to get their redesign as well, so 125 may not have as many routes on it now. 

27 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

The M125 will replace the M100 and Bx15. (It makes me wonder if the M101 will be split with the northern portion running to either 96th Street or the current M100 terminus.)

1 hour ago, Lex said:

The M125 will replace the M100 and Bx15. (It makes me wonder if the M101 will be split with the northern portion running to either 96th Street or the current M100 terminus.)

I personally think the M101 should terminate at 125th Street. It’s much longer than the M100 and service is rather redundant on Lexington since you already have the M102, M103, (4)(5)(6) .  If anything I would boost the service on the M103 and add LTD variant . I would also cut the M102 back to possibly 42nd or 34th but the M102 would be completely LTD on Lexington with the bus lane being enforced. 

The M100 could possibly benefit with less stops on 125th. I would have it make the same stops as the M60. 

I’m not against having a split of the Bx15 because it will definitely allow it to become more reliable. If the M125 is going to be effective and provide reliable service along 125th Street.

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Just be careful to keep your cards away from that scanner. There are some issues with reader erroneously reading cards that it shouldn’t, so only keep whatever you plan on scanning near that thing.

Got ya. I believe the range is 4in from the screen? Gotta be careful standing near it on a crowded bus. 

16 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I personally think the M101 should terminate at 125th Street. It’s much longer than the M100 and service is rather redundant on Lexington since you already have the M102, M103, (4)(5)(6) .  If anything I would boost the service on the M103 and add LTD variant . I would also cut the M102 back to possibly 42nd or 34th but the M102 would be completely LTD on Lexington with the bus lane being enforced. 

The M100 could possibly benefit with less stops on 125th. I would have it make the same stops as the M60. 

I’m not against having a split of the Bx15 because it will definitely allow it to become more reliable. If the M125 is going to be effective and provide reliable service along 125th Street.

Keep in mind that the proposal of the M125 sees the M100 terminate at Amsterdam instead of following 125 like normal.

6 hours ago, MHV184 said:

As a person who uses the bx15 on a daily basis I’m against this

There are  people out there including myself who use the bx15 as a one seat ride to get to the west side of Harlem OR to get to 125st and transfer to another bus or the 1,ABCD trains. Now if this plan goes into affect low income families who use the bx15 as a one seat ride would now have to transfer at 149st which puts more time on their commute or who use the bx15 to get to Harlem to transfer to another bus or train would have to spend another $2.75 to get on another bus to take them to harlem and again adds more time to their commute 

it takes about an hour to get from Fordham to west 125 what needs to happen is some stops need to be eliminated the 15 bus does not need to stop at every block on 125 st or every other block on wills ave 

2 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Remember the M100 is also going to be cut back so that won't run on 125th street. But with the M101 and the M60 SBS. The M125 us probably going to turn into a covrage route and end up running every 15-20 minutes for most of the day.

3 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

Remember the M100 is also going to be cut back so that won't run on 125th street. But with the M101 and the M60 SBS. The M125 us probably going to turn into a covrage route and end up running every 15-20 minutes for most of the day.

With this in mind which depot you think should get this route?

1 hour ago, Lex said:

At the very least I see the M101 being split. I also think the M125  would remain being an artic route (as part of the Bx15)