BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

12 minutes ago, Calvin said:

If you mean the Green Flipdot VII's
MHV will receive 3960-4700 3rd Gens from various depots, QV: newer LFS with 8072-8081

QV is also getting a generous order of 64 LFS buses to replace the 2003-04 units as well, with a fleet expansion of one bus (if one additional bus added to the roster even counts as an expansion lmao).

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, 4P3607 said:

jki0iq.jpg

This personally rips my heart out. Such a sad sight to see. 6365 and 6489 are here too but this wouldn't cooperate adding the photos.

For some reason 8971 and 9006 are still there. A D60 appears to have been reserved too (117 or 127) all the way in the back. That red Triboro Fishbowl I didn't see back there anymore...

The amount of 6300s - 6400s there kills me though lol

It personally pisses me off, to be quite honest....

8 hours ago, 4P3607 said:

For some reason 8971 and 9006 are still there. A D60 appears to have been reserved too (117 or 127) all the way in the back. That red Triboro Fishbowl I didn't see back there anymore...

It was mentioned as a musuem bus but in detail: that unit was used in the Olympics during the 1996 year. 

On 6/4/2019 at 9:23 PM, Future ENY OP said:

Too bad right now The Brooklyn Division (FB/FP/JG/GA) won’t put those super ultra king wraps even though it’s advertising client Outfront Media states those ultra king ads can be found in Manhattan & Brooklyn Division buses. 

The (MTA) is crying foul with no money. Spread some love in the Brooklyn Division for these Super Ultra King ads or start going back to rear wraps. 

There may be some major multi-market ad buys running through Outfront right now. Winter was really slow around here, only small Ultra Queens from social services/government agencies, and a super short McDonald's campaign. Within past week, SMART got new Tails from a car dealership, and both SMART and DDOT have got multiple Ultra Super Kings installed (from about 5 different clients). More ads than I've seen in a long time.

Outfront could still be working out the bugs with sizing across the different models with the MTA (and MTA could be saying "hands off" certain ones, for now). But if there's a rebound in ad buying, Outfront will be pushing for placements to be expedited.

1 hour ago, DetSMART45 said:

There may be some major multi-market ad buys running through Outfront right now. Winter was really slow around here, only small Ultra Queens from social services/government agencies, and a super short McDonald's campaign. Within past week, SMART got new Tails from a car dealership, and both SMART and DDOT have got multiple Ultra Super Kings installed (from about 5 different clients). More ads than I've seen in a long time.

Outfront could still be working out the bugs with sizing across the different models with the MTA (and MTA could be saying "hands off" certain ones, for now). But if there's a rebound in ad buying, Outfront will be pushing for placements to be expedited.

Gotchu. 

You might be right on this. 

DC also uses Outfront Media for all their bus models and has been using them for their XD series: XD40, XD60, XDE 40 and XDE60 for the past few years. 

Just hopefully In the future that Outfront expands systemwide for the Super Ultra King ads for NYCTA.. Some of the Bronx buses transferred to Manhattan and Brooklyn have the Bronx Zoo super ultra king campaign. 

1 hour ago, Future ENY OP said:

Gotchu. 

You might be right on this. 

DC also uses Outfront Media for all their bus models and has been using them for their XD series: XD40, XD60, XDE 40 and XDE60 for the past few years. 

Just hopefully In the future that Outfront expands systemwide for the Super Ultra King ads for NYCTA.. Some of the Bronx buses transferred to Manhattan and Brooklyn have the Bronx Zoo super ultra king campaign. 

I don't think there'd be too much problems for the Xcelsiors (maybe MTA wouldn't allow any or few on the electrics), because you do have many more TAs repped by Outfront that use Xcelsiors over Novas/Gilligs (new/-er adds to fleets). And combo-buys of TAs could occur that way.

I was actually thinking of the "new" Novas with the dinky window-to-ground sides, and how any buys for those positions would be limited. As well as how so many complain about window coverage, because on those Novas, that's a significant piece of the real estate available for placement. So even though there's still enough Orions around (and those should all be "fair game" since they're the oldies, as well as being 99% of the representation in the Outfront Media Book), as well as the older, original Xcelsiors, it seems that getting the ads ON should be the name of the game currently. Plus MTA really needs to open up all the old MCI Express buses for placement, with relatively few limitations, instead of the current mindset.

I could see them saying "no ads" on any of the 2017/2018/2019s, but purely for the added cash in the pocket, everything else should be fair game, AND better coordinate with Outfront to get them on the street.

35 minutes ago, DetSMART45 said:

I don't think there'd be too much problems for the Xcelsiors (maybe MTA wouldn't allow any or few on the electrics), because you do have many more TAs repped by Outfront that use Xcelsiors over Novas/Gilligs (new/-er adds to fleets). And combo-buys of TAs could occur that way.

I was actually thinking of the "new" Novas with the dinky window-to-ground sides, and how any buys for those positions would be limited. As well as how so many complain about window coverage, because on those Novas, that's a significant piece of the real estate available for placement. So even though there's still enough Orions around (and those should all be "fair game" since they're the oldies, as well as being 99% of the representation in the Outfront Media Book), as well as the older, original Xcelsiors, it seems that getting the ads ON should be the name of the game currently

Plus MTA really needs to open up all the old MCI Express buses for placement, with relatively few limitations, instead of the current mindset.

I could see them saying "no ads" on any of the 2017/2018/2019s, but purely for the added cash in the pocket, everything else should be fair game, AND better coordinate with Outfront to get them on the street.

(Answering bold points). 

1) This I do agree with. There has been expansion for the last few years with Outfront representing more TA’s 

2) As of late I’ve noticed a few Staten Island MCI’s (2013) D4500CT’s being retrofitted with super ultra king ads from RCN and another ad. There are slowly adding those Super Ultra Kings again on the MCI buses. 

3) This again I do agree with. Only b/c they are a lot newer. However, for depots like MJQ, MHV and MCH they slap tons of those Super Ultra king ads on their buses. I want to see how that changes the game when newer buses come to Manhattan in the near future. Possibly more 30x240, super kongs could be on the horizon for those newer buses. 

8 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Random thought: I’ve always wondered why the M31 is at TU and not MQ. Meanwhile, the deadhead to 57th street is less than 10 mins if the 31 is at MQ

Just simply make TU/100 all artic. 

It was in Quill. They moved things around once 126 closed and the M86 select was put in Quill. 

Edited by Jdog14

On 6/6/2019 at 2:00 PM, 4P3607 said:

jki0iq.jpg

This personally rips my heart out. Such a sad sight to see. 6365 and 6489 are here too but this wouldn't cooperate adding the photos.

The amount of 6300s - 6400s there kills me though lol

Thank you for your photo. It makes me absolutely sad inside as I love these buses. As an operator over at MHV, I would always prefer a 6 series bus over a 3 series just because of how good of a drive theyre. Most of those buses run pretty damn good still.

But it was a day we all knew it was going to happen soon.

I was reading a 1953-1954 transit authority report and came across this (direct quote):

Bus Terminal At Main Street, Flushing

Plans for a Flushing bus terminal with an underground connection to the Main Street Terminal Station of the Flushing Line, IRT Division are under study and consideration by the Authority and the Board of Estimate.

A firm of real estate developers, has proposed to construct and turn over to the City a $4,000,000 bus terminal consisting of a basement and two-story bus terminal building at Roosevelt Avenue and Union Street, Flushing. A $1,500,000 subsurface passageway 1,000 feet in length with a moving sidewalk, or “speedwalk” would extend under Roosevelt Avenue from the proposed bus terminal to the Main Street subway station.

it goes on but the info isn’t really relevant to the design.

obviously it wasn’t built, but what killed this plan?

2 minutes ago, New Flyer Xcelsior said:

Wow. I've heard of MCIs on SI routes, but not Prevosts. Also, do they still charge $2.75? Or is it $6.50?

It's still $2.75. How much you get charged depends on if the farebox is signed up for a local/limited or express route.

38 minutes ago, Orion6025 said:

I was reading a 1953-1954 transit authority report and came across this (direct quote):

Bus Terminal At Main Street, Flushing

Plans for a Flushing bus terminal with an underground connection to the Main Street Terminal Station of the Flushing Line, IRT Division are under study and consideration by the Authority and the Board of Estimate.

A firm of real estate developers, has proposed to construct and turn over to the City a $4,000,000 bus terminal consisting of a basement and two-story bus terminal building at Roosevelt Avenue and Union Street, Flushing. A $1,500,000 subsurface passageway 1,000 feet in length with a moving sidewalk, or “speedwalk” would extend under Roosevelt Avenue from the proposed bus terminal to the Main Street subway station.

it goes on but the info isn’t really relevant to the design.

obviously it wasn’t built, but what killed this plan?

I believe merchants killed it because they feared that they would lose business if subway and bus passengers were able to transfer conveniently between the two underground without having to go through the streets and sidewalks.