BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, JeremiahC99 said:

I believe merchants killed it because they feared that they would lose business if subway and bus passengers were able to transfer conveniently between the two underground without having to go through the streets and sidewalks.

Suppose that’s possible. A shame they screwed over generations but it is what it is I guess.

1 hour ago, New Flyer Xcelsior said:

Today, I saw a BxM bus (I think it was a BxM1) coming off the Henry Hudson Pkwy at Dyckman St, except MTA buses are not allowed on the Henry Hudson Pkwy. What happened?

MTA Buses use the Henry Hudson to deadhead all the time, sometimes they put up the route sign while on the deadhead route. For example I'd see BM3's running down Flatlands in Canarsie even though the BM3 runs no where near there (SC buses deadhead down Flatlands Ave).

19 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

MTA Buses use the Henry Hudson to deadhead all the time, sometimes they put up the route sign while on the deadhead route. For example I'd see BM3's running down Flatlands in Canarsie even though the BM3 runs no where near there (SC buses deadhead down Flatlands Ave).

Yes, but where would it be deadheading to?

1 hour ago, Orion6025 said:

Suppose that’s possible. A shame they screwed over generations but it is what it is I guess.

I agree that they screwed over everyone. However, the Northeast Queens Bus Study of 2015 did include a recommendation for a Downtown Flushing Bus Terminal as a long term solution for the areas traffic woes. New land would have to be found, but I believe that they could include a possibility of the local businesses to move in there. If the MTA would allow the local merchants to move into this new bus terminal with the same rent they currently pay, then maybe some of the complaints can be quelled.

1 hour ago, QM1to6Ave said:

MTA wifi on all buses seems to be down once again, at least since yesterday. 

It worked on one of the Q111 buses I rode today. 

Speaking of the Q111, those buses flow like a broken levee. The only local/limited corridor that the MTA hasn't screwed over the local. The Q113/Q114 is a different story though. Both routes are unreliable (the Q113 more than the Q114). I would take The Q111, if it ran into the Rockaway, but obviously that's not the case.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

12 hours ago, DetSMART45 said:

I could see them saying "no ads" on any of the 2017/2018/2019s, but purely for the added cash in the pocket, everything else should be fair game, AND better coordinate with Outfront to get them on the street.

Outfront just came out with a new front ad size that fits the Xcelsiors and 2011 Prevosts (which have the license plate in different spot from the 2016s which can fit the normal size) so I think they're starting to move away from that mindset.

When I had beach clean up with Vegan Sea Shepherd at Coney Island, I witness 4  students fare beat on B36 SeaGate, right in (F) train shuttle bus drivers and (F) train dispatcher in front of CI-Stillwell Av Subway Station. I think it was in April 2019.

Edited by FamousNYLover

2 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

Outfront just came out with a new front ad size that fits the Xcelsiors and 2011 Prevosts (which have the license plate in different spot from the 2016s which can fit the normal size) so I think they're starting to move away from that mindset.

I could pretty much agree with that. So far MQ, UP and WF have used the front size ad on their newer Xcelsiors.

However as far as the Super Ultra King (Driverside wrap) is concern. Forget that for now.. Not on these buses just yet..

So the B91A schedule is out:

http://web.mta.info/nyct/bus/schedule/bkln/b091Acur.pdf

The schedule a bit weird, to say the least. The headways are every 12 minutes, followed by every 3 minutes in the early AM on weekends. During the evening, there are 15 minute headways, followed by 5 minute headways. Going towards the overnight hours, there's no consistency and the headways are either 5, 10 or 15 minutes.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

Just now, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

So the B91A schedule is out:

http://web.mta.info/nyct/bus/schedule/bkln/b091Acur.pdf

The schedule is weird, to say the least. The headways are every 12 minutes, followed by every 3 minutes. 

I see route elimination on the horizon. People are using the alternatives. This was a waste of money to even change the route to the B91A. Could of left it the B91 and make additional adjustments from the B92 to incorporate the B91. Even with Andy Byford, the TA can't seem to get it right!

2 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

I see route elimination on the horizon. People are using the alternatives. This was a waste of money to even change the route to the B91A. Could of left it the B91 and make additional adjustments from the B92 to incorporate the B91. Even with Andy Byford, the TA can't seem to get it right!

With the way Cuomo threw all the previous plans in the blender, turned it on and walked away with the lid off, the lack of use of the B91/B92 can't really be put completely at the MTA's feet. Even the MTA was taken by surprise by customers who discovered using the (M) as an alternative. Their own (L) weekly newsletter expressed their "shock" that customers found such a secret hiding in plain sight, and encouraged more customers to use the (M) .

I did think it was a bit on the overkill side to run both, and in hindsight (due to customers adapting on their own) it may have been better to start only one (the clockwise loop) and then modify the schedules as needed. But in the end, the MTA had to avoid the egg-on-the-face and plan for anything (due to Cuomo). Remember, too, that they spent tons of payroll prior to, and on, zero-hour staffing -- and the massive crowds/panic didn't materialize to the extent they planned for.

However, with the reports here of only a handful of customers on the buses from the start, these changes should have occurred much sooner.

5 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

Steps in the right direction, but those Xcelsiors should have had Headlights already being sold/active. The MTA was already well on the path to pull their major Headlight seller (the RTS), secondly the remaining D60HFs/C40LFs, and Orion placement was spotty at best, relegated to oldies primarily. From the way things were going, it appeared Headlights were on the way out.

Wouldn't surprise me a bit if "higher powers" (*cough*CUOMO*cough*) have limited placement opportunities, due to all the livery revising (and wanting to have people ooh and aah over their creations without distractions). Remember, the same group blew off blame for those tunnel tiles, as just a "coincidence" they were in the official state color scheme.

5 hours ago, DetSMART45 said:

With the way Cuomo threw all the previous plans in the blender, turned it on and walked away with the lid off, the lack of use of the B91/B92 can't really be put completely at the MTA's feet. Even the MTA was taken by surprise by customers who discovered using the (M) as an alternative. Their own (L) weekly newsletter expressed their "shock" that customers found such a secret hiding in plain sight, and encouraged more customers to use the (M) .

I did think it was a bit on the overkill side to run both, and in hindsight (due to customers adapting on their own) it may have been better to start only one (the clockwise loop) and then modify the schedules as needed. But in the end, the MTA had to avoid the egg-on-the-face and plan for anything (due to Cuomo). Remember, too, that they spent tons of payroll prior to, and on, zero-hour staffing -- and the massive crowds/panic didn't materialize to the extent they planned for.

However, with the reports here of only a handful of customers on the buses from the start, these changes should have occurred much sooner.

The B91/92 we're Overkill but like I said before, The B91A doesn't look like it would be picking up that much more either. The B91A is basically a short turn of the B62, with NB buses taking Robeling Street instead of Bedford Ave. It would make much more sense to have some B62 short turns from WBP to LIC and increased B32 service during the time that the (L) is running every 20 minutes instead of this short shuttle.

5 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

The B91/92 we're Overkill but like I said before, The B91A doesn't look like it would be picking up that much more either. The B91A is basically a short turn of the B62, with NB buses taking Robeling Street instead of Bedford Ave. It would make much more sense to have some B62 short turns from WBP to LIC and increased B32 service during the time that the (L) is running every 20 minutes instead of this short shuttle.

I don't see how increasing the B32's frequency will help.