BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Lex said:

I don't see how increasing the B32's frequency will help.

The B32 connects Williamsburg with LIC. Even though it doesn't directly connect with the (L), it could help with people in those areas who originally walked to the (L). If the (L) was to fully shut down, this line would of ran every 15 minutes instead of every 30.

13 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

I could pretty much agree with that. So far MQ, UP and WF have used the front size ad on their newer Xcelsiors.

However as far as the Super Ultra King (Driverside wrap) is concern. Forget that for now.. Not on these buses just yet..

West Farms yet doesn't have the small ads on their Xcelsiors, so far we just have them on the C40LF's. No plans on applying them to the XN's or XD's there...

Edited by WestFarms36

20 minutes ago, WestFarms36 said:

West Farms yet doesn't have the small ads on their Xcelsiors, so far we just have them on the C40LF's. No plans on applying them to the XN's or XD's there...

Copy. @WestFarms36. Appreciate the clarification. Did they (WF) apply the Bronx Zoo Super Ultra King driverside wrap on the C40LF’s? 

Did some 'fanning earlier today, and... a few things:

* While waiting at McDonald/Church, lucked out & saw back to back 40 footers on the B35.... first one was an XD40 (B35 LTD.... wasn't getting on that shit, t'was about 50 ppl or so waiting at the stop)... second bus was the one I ended up taking, #377 (a C40LF) B35 local on the way back.....

* Both SC routes I took going & coming (to/from Manhattan).... Damn... I was the ONLY person on both buses (BM3 to Manhattan, BM4 back to Brooklyn)....

* Rode the full M5 (from GWB).... duration was [1 hour & 31 minutes] - 47 of them spent along, and south of 59th.... 23 of those 47 spent south of 44th (smh).... I thought the Puerto Rican day parade was tomorrow... what the hell parade was today, over there on 6th av? It's always something in this city....

(side note: That BM4 I ended up taking... was at one point, right alongside the M5 I was on while we were along 5th.... After I got off the M5, I walked from 31st/B'way to 23rd/Park - and caught that same BM4....)

* Before the M5, I rode the full Bx3 (unintentional...  was going to ride out to White plains, but once I saw about 200 people or so waiting for one bus [w/ the b/o sleeping during her layover], I said to myself, pfft, Yeah right....)

Ride wasn't anything out of the ordinary - save for heavy police activity around Burnside & the fact that I ran into an old fling I went to college with.... We started chopping it up, but when she started talking about her baby daddy coming home on 3 weeks, I started tuning the f*** out.... Judging how she was dressed (or lack thereof), I'd say she was on the prowl for baby daddy # (insert number greater than 1)...... The body still on point, but that is a bullet I'm glad I dodged about 15 years or so ago..... Funny enough, soon as she got off (Amsterdam), some Daddy Yankee looking MF-er hugged her was all up on that.... Community p***y, I guess....

* after I got off the BM3 at 34th, lol... B/o hung a right and went OOS - and gave me a thumbs up as he was making the turn.... Anyway, I walked over to 3rd av to catch the BxM1.... waited about 20 mins or so; enough time to stop off at the 7/11 across the street... Long story short, the dude was late, but I wasn't really bothered by it, since I wasn't in a rush.... After he pulled into the stop, he asked if we (myself & some old lady... that wanted the local, but didn't realize it didn't stop on that corner) were waiting for him... I said yes.... He then said he had to use the bathroom, so across the street & into Mickey D's he went.... about 5 mins afterwards, he comes back & we pull off..... Was barely on the bus for an hour...

The strange part though, was when I got off the bus.... Some Jewish lady out of no where attempted to board the bus (at the last stop, 263rd, before the u-turn); didn't think much of it, until I started hearing sobbing noises... I turn back around & the both of them are standing up hugging each other inside the bus, right by the driver's area (not like a loving/erotic embrace, but it was more like a "I haven't seen you in a long time" embrace - either that, or a "I need your help, what a relief" type of embrace).... Overall f***ing weird either way.... But ehh, they eventually got off the bus & the both of them walked off somewhere.... Little while after the fact, I get to the bee-line stop & see that I just missed a BL-8 (with some hobo telling me "yeah man, it just left", as I'm looking at the schedule).... So I start heading up & down the hills to catch the Bx9 (prepared to being called a million & one n***ers in the process, but fortunately that never happened)...

--------------

So with some walking in-between some of these, basically I did the B35 > BM3 > BxM1 > Bx9 > Bx3 > M5 > BM4 > B35.

Edited by B35 via Church

1 hour ago, Around the Horn said:

64204779_1304878269670758_29116391526529

62087031_987235978334024_712678808922934

Ulmer Park getting in on the Oatly ad action...

I just wish they used the rear size that SEPTA uses for their Xcelsiors. This is mad tiny.

That’s the same thing I say all the time. SEPTA doesn’t use outfront media for their buses.  I think they use Lamar. However, there should be a way that Outfront can incorporate the (SEPTA) ads on (MTA) buses. 

@Around the Horn- I see what you are referring to when it comes to placement of the ad and I see the difference. 

20 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

I love those ads. They're so much better than those boring Good Day ads that were everywhere...

Yes. In full agreement on this. 

1 hour ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

I chuckle whenever I see some of those ads. Interesting way to market a product. 

At least their marketing strategy is working citywide. Tired of seeing those GDNY ads. All the other news channels advertise on the subways. NBC New York advertises all over Atlantic-Pacific and Grand Central. 

Plus I haven’t seen a NBC ad citywide since January when they had headliner ads for 2 shows. 

Edited by Future ENY OP

2 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Did some 'fanning earlier today, and... a few things:

* While waiting at McDonald/Church, lucked out & saw back to back 40 footers on the B35.... first one was an XD40 (B35 LTD...)

Sure that wasn't an XN40?

3 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

Went to board the 9 PM S44 from the ferry and saw an S94 instead. That makes sense since there is a 9:01 PM S44 on Saturdays. (They should do this more often).

So instead of it being local, it ran limited?

18 minutes ago, NBTA said:

So instead of it being local, it ran limited?

Yes. Guess the dispatcher told the B/O to run limited because another S44 was scheduled 1 minute after that S44.

Edited by Lil 57

13 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

64204779_1304878269670758_29116391526529

62087031_987235978334024_712678808922934

Ulmer Park getting in on the Oatly ad action...

I just wish they used the rear size that SEPTA uses for their Xcelsiors. This is mad tiny.

That Headlight looks awwwfulll small on the Xcelsiors compared to the more "centered" placement on the RTS. With the expanded nose, size specs should be changed (and cost a bit more, naturally) which would still enable placement on Orions but might be a bit tight on any C40LFs. It looks dinky above the Xcelsior "grin".

Whoever in the hell conceived that Tail placement needs to be publicly humiliated (face-included, since the humiliation is already happening). AFAIC all those rear stickers are a waste of material, labor applying them, and "message". Upper should have the "MTA" logo only (no "NYCB" or "MTAB") on left pillar directly parallel to wide turns, and bus number vertically on right pillar. Scrap the WiFi/USB pictograms--save those for front door headliner. Could then sell 3/4-Tails centered while still maintaining the "school bus yellow" as a frame. Then a PROPER Tail could exploit either the full lower or within the same frame area (limited to engine door only). Total waste of prime ad real estate.

Whatever agency that crafted this brilliant Oatly campaign has some talented folks, though. Brand recognition and product recall points are definite hits.

43 minutes ago, Train92 said:

When the buses leave from Bus Fest, do the Buses take the Brooklyn Bridge or do they continue taking the Manhattan Bridge? 

Commercial vehicles, such as buses and trucks, are not allowed on the Brooklyn Bridge, so buses usually take the Manhattan Bridge.