Jump to content


Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
EE Broadway Local

BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

When I had beach clean up with Vegan Sea Shepherd at Coney Island, I witness 4  students fare beat on B36 SeaGate, right in (F) train shuttle bus drivers and (F) train dispatcher in front of CI-Stillwell Av Subway Station. I think it was in April 2019.

Edited by FamousNYLover

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

Outfront just came out with a new front ad size that fits the Xcelsiors and 2011 Prevosts (which have the license plate in different spot from the 2016s which can fit the normal size) so I think they're starting to move away from that mindset.

I could pretty much agree with that. So far MQ, UP and WF have used the front size ad on their newer Xcelsiors.

However as far as the Super Ultra King (Driverside wrap) is concern. Forget that for now.. Not on these buses just yet..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

So the B91A schedule is out:

http://web.mta.info/nyct/bus/schedule/bkln/b091Acur.pdf

The schedule a bit weird, to say the least. The headways are every 12 minutes, followed by every 3 minutes in the early AM on weekends. During the evening, there are 15 minute headways, followed by 5 minute headways. Going towards the overnight hours, there's no consistency and the headways are either 5, 10 or 15 minutes.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

So the B91A schedule is out:

http://web.mta.info/nyct/bus/schedule/bkln/b091Acur.pdf

The schedule is weird, to say the least. The headways are every 12 minutes, followed by every 3 minutes. 

I see route elimination on the horizon. People are using the alternatives. This was a waste of money to even change the route to the B91A. Could of left it the B91 and make additional adjustments from the B92 to incorporate the B91. Even with Andy Byford, the TA can't seem to get it right!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

I see route elimination on the horizon. People are using the alternatives. This was a waste of money to even change the route to the B91A. Could of left it the B91 and make additional adjustments from the B92 to incorporate the B91. Even with Andy Byford, the TA can't seem to get it right!

 

With the way Cuomo threw all the previous plans in the blender, turned it on and walked away with the lid off, the lack of use of the B91/B92 can't really be put completely at the MTA's feet. Even the MTA was taken by surprise by customers who discovered using the (M) as an alternative. Their own (L) weekly newsletter expressed their "shock" that customers found such a secret hiding in plain sight, and encouraged more customers to use the (M) .

I did think it was a bit on the overkill side to run both, and in hindsight (due to customers adapting on their own) it may have been better to start only one (the clockwise loop) and then modify the schedules as needed. But in the end, the MTA had to avoid the egg-on-the-face and plan for anything (due to Cuomo). Remember, too, that they spent tons of payroll prior to, and on, zero-hour staffing -- and the massive crowds/panic didn't materialize to the extent they planned for.

However, with the reports here of only a handful of customers on the buses from the start, these changes should have occurred much sooner.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

Outfront just came out with a new front ad size that fits the Xcelsiors and 2011 Prevosts (which have the license plate in different spot from the 2016s which can fit the normal size) so I think they're starting to move away from that mindset.

Steps in the right direction, but those Xcelsiors should have had Headlights already being sold/active. The MTA was already well on the path to pull their major Headlight seller (the RTS), secondly the remaining D60HFs/C40LFs, and Orion placement was spotty at best, relegated to oldies primarily. From the way things were going, it appeared Headlights were on the way out.

Wouldn't surprise me a bit if "higher powers" (*cough*CUOMO*cough*) have limited placement opportunities, due to all the livery revising (and wanting to have people ooh and aah over their creations without distractions). Remember, the same group blew off blame for those tunnel tiles, as just a "coincidence" they were in the official state color scheme.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, DetSMART45 said:

With the way Cuomo threw all the previous plans in the blender, turned it on and walked away with the lid off, the lack of use of the B91/B92 can't really be put completely at the MTA's feet. Even the MTA was taken by surprise by customers who discovered using the (M) as an alternative. Their own (L) weekly newsletter expressed their "shock" that customers found such a secret hiding in plain sight, and encouraged more customers to use the (M) .

I did think it was a bit on the overkill side to run both, and in hindsight (due to customers adapting on their own) it may have been better to start only one (the clockwise loop) and then modify the schedules as needed. But in the end, the MTA had to avoid the egg-on-the-face and plan for anything (due to Cuomo). Remember, too, that they spent tons of payroll prior to, and on, zero-hour staffing -- and the massive crowds/panic didn't materialize to the extent they planned for.

However, with the reports here of only a handful of customers on the buses from the start, these changes should have occurred much sooner.

The B91/92 we're Overkill but like I said before, The B91A doesn't look like it would be picking up that much more either. The B91A is basically a short turn of the B62, with NB buses taking Robeling Street instead of Bedford Ave. It would make much more sense to have some B62 short turns from WBP to LIC and increased B32 service during the time that the (L) is running every 20 minutes instead of this short shuttle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

The B91/92 we're Overkill but like I said before, The B91A doesn't look like it would be picking up that much more either. The B91A is basically a short turn of the B62, with NB buses taking Robeling Street instead of Bedford Ave. It would make much more sense to have some B62 short turns from WBP to LIC and increased B32 service during the time that the (L) is running every 20 minutes instead of this short shuttle.

I don't see how increasing the B32's frequency will help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, New Flyer Xcelsior said:

Today, I saw a BxM bus (I think it was a BxM1) coming off the Henry Hudson Pkwy at Dyckman St, except MTA buses are not allowed on the Henry Hudson Pkwy. What happened?

I've seen all the M4/M98 buses deadhead using Henry Hudson Pkwy in the mornings to get to cabrini via cloisters for morning service. Sometimes the M5s for the quick exit to W178 at GW.

Edited by Statty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

So the B91A schedule is out:

http://web.mta.info/nyct/bus/schedule/bkln/b091Acur.pdf

The schedule a bit weird, to say the least. The headways are every 12 minutes, followed by every 3 minutes in the early AM on weekends. During the evening, there are 15 minute headways, followed by 5 minute headways. Going towards the overnight hours, there's no consistency and the headways are either 5, 10 or 15 minutes.

Wow they created an actual timetable for it!! Did they make one for the B91 and 92 too?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Orion6025 said:

Wow they created an actual timetable for it!! Did they make one for the B91 and 92 too?

That was up until those routes were replaced...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lex said:

I don't see how increasing the B32's frequency will help.

The B32 connects Williamsburg with LIC. Even though it doesn't directly connect with the (L), it could help with people in those areas who originally walked to the (L). If the (L) was to fully shut down, this line would of ran every 15 minutes instead of every 30.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

I could pretty much agree with that. So far MQ, UP and WF have used the front size ad on their newer Xcelsiors.

However as far as the Super Ultra King (Driverside wrap) is concern. Forget that for now.. Not on these buses just yet..

West Farms yet doesn't have the small ads on their Xcelsiors, so far we just have them on the C40LF's. No plans on applying them to the XN's or XD's there...

Edited by WestFarms36

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, WestFarms36 said:

West Farms yet doesn't have the small ads on their Xcelsiors, so far we just have them on the C40LF's. No plans on applying them to the XN's or XD's there...

Copy. @WestFarms36. Appreciate the clarification. Did they (WF) apply the Bronx Zoo Super Ultra King driverside wrap on the C40LF’s? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Future ENY OP said:

Copy. @WestFarms36. Appreciate the clarification. Did they (WF) apply the Bronx Zoo Super Ultra King driverside wrap on the C40LF’s? 

No. They did have the Honest Tea driver side wrap on 306 a couple of months ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, New Flyer Xcelsior said:

Today, I saw a BxM bus (I think it was a BxM1) coming off the Henry Hudson Pkwy at Dyckman St, except MTA buses are not allowed on the Henry Hudson Pkwy. What happened?

Buses are allowed on the Henry Hudson. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Did some 'fanning earlier today, and... a few things:

* While waiting at McDonald/Church, lucked out & saw back to back 40 footers on the B35.... first one was an XD40 (B35 LTD.... wasn't getting on that shit, t'was about 50 ppl or so waiting at the stop)... second bus was the one I ended up taking, #377 (a C40LF) B35 local on the way back.....

* Both SC routes I took going & coming (to/from Manhattan).... Damn... I was the ONLY person on both buses (BM3 to Manhattan, BM4 back to Brooklyn)....

* Rode the full M5 (from GWB).... duration was [1 hour & 31 minutes] - 47 of them spent along, and south of 59th.... 23 of those 47 spent south of 44th (smh).... I thought the Puerto Rican day parade was tomorrow... what the hell parade was today, over there on 6th av? It's always something in this city....

(side note: That BM4 I ended up taking... was at one point, right alongside the M5 I was on while we were along 5th.... After I got off the M5, I walked from 31st/B'way to 23rd/Park - and caught that same BM4....)

* Before the M5, I rode the full Bx3 (unintentional...  was going to ride out to White plains, but once I saw about 200 people or so waiting for one bus [w/ the b/o sleeping during her layover], I said to myself, pfft, Yeah right....)

Ride wasn't anything out of the ordinary - save for heavy police activity around Burnside & the fact that I ran into an old fling I went to college with.... We started chopping it up, but when she started talking about her baby daddy coming home on 3 weeks, I started tuning the f*** out.... Judging how she was dressed (or lack thereof), I'd say she was on the prowl for baby daddy # (insert number greater than 1)...... The body still on point, but that is a bullet I'm glad I dodged about 15 years or so ago..... Funny enough, soon as she got off (Amsterdam), some Daddy Yankee looking MF-er hugged her was all up on that.... Community p***y, I guess....

* after I got off the BM3 at 34th, lol... B/o hung a right and went OOS - and gave me a thumbs up as he was making the turn.... Anyway, I walked over to 3rd av to catch the BxM1.... waited about 20 mins or so; enough time to stop off at the 7/11 across the street... Long story short, the dude was late, but I wasn't really bothered by it, since I wasn't in a rush.... After he pulled into the stop, he asked if we (myself & some old lady... that wanted the local, but didn't realize it didn't stop on that corner) were waiting for him... I said yes.... He then said he had to use the bathroom, so across the street & into Mickey D's he went.... about 5 mins afterwards, he comes back & we pull off..... Was barely on the bus for an hour...

The strange part though, was when I got off the bus.... Some Jewish lady out of no where attempted to board the bus (at the last stop, 263rd, before the u-turn); didn't think much of it, until I started hearing sobbing noises... I turn back around & the both of them are standing up hugging each other inside the bus, right by the driver's area (not like a loving/erotic embrace, but it was more like a "I haven't seen you in a long time" embrace - either that, or a "I need your help, what a relief" type of embrace).... Overall f***ing weird either way.... But ehh, they eventually got off the bus & the both of them walked off somewhere.... Little while after the fact, I get to the bee-line stop & see that I just missed a BL-8 (with some hobo telling me "yeah man, it just left", as I'm looking at the schedule).... So I start heading up & down the hills to catch the Bx9 (prepared to being called a million & one n***ers in the process, but fortunately that never happened)...

--------------

So with some walking in-between some of these, basically I did the B35 > BM3 > BxM1 > Bx9 > Bx3 > M5 > BM4 > B35.

Edited by B35 via Church
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

64204779_1304878269670758_29116391526529

62087031_987235978334024_712678808922934

Ulmer Park getting in on the Oatly ad action...

I just wish they used the rear size that SEPTA uses for their Xcelsiors. This is mad tiny.

Edited by Around the Horn
  • LMAO! 4
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

I chuckle whenever I see some of those ads. Interesting way to market a product. 

I love those ads. They're so much better than those boring Good Day ads that were everywhere...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Around the Horn said:

64204779_1304878269670758_29116391526529

62087031_987235978334024_712678808922934

Ulmer Park getting in on the Oatly ad action...

I just wish they used the rear size that SEPTA uses for their Xcelsiors. This is mad tiny.

That’s the same thing I say all the time. SEPTA doesn’t use outfront media for their buses.  I think they use Lamar. However, there should be a way that Outfront can incorporate the (SEPTA) ads on (MTA) buses. 

@Around the Horn- I see what you are referring to when it comes to placement of the ad and I see the difference. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

I love those ads. They're so much better than those boring Good Day ads that were everywhere...

Yes. In full agreement on this. 

1 hour ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

I chuckle whenever I see some of those ads. Interesting way to market a product. 

At least their marketing strategy is working citywide. Tired of seeing those GDNY ads. All the other news channels advertise on the subways. NBC New York advertises all over Atlantic-Pacific and Grand Central. 

Plus I haven’t seen a NBC ad citywide since January when they had headliner ads for 2 shows. 

Edited by Future ENY OP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.