Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
EE Broadway Local

BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

13 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

I think its more stupid the fact that their isn't all door boarding on the S79. Whatever reason they said it doesn't need "oh schedule isn't as frequent as other SBS" is bullshit. The S79 dwell times are normally 2-3 at each stop getting on, and 86st is usually 3-4 mins. 

The thing with artics with the MTA is the fact that they like to cut service with them. I'd rather my frequency for the S79 than artics. HOWEVER, I believe their should be a fleet of 20% artics for rush hours, because its ridiculous. 

The S79 isn't really frequent off-peak and yet the bus is STILL crowded... there should be some artics

They deadass need to eliminate the S52...that route is unnecessarily busy, besides the ferry crowds, it's literally a free shuttle. I hope enough F5s are hit to get that shit eliminated because its ridiculous. 

1 hour ago, Bay Ridge Express said:

The S79 isn't really frequent off-peak and yet the bus is STILL crowded... there should be some artics

Looks like an argument for more frequency before adding artics

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, New Flyer Xcelsior said:

I just saw on BusTime an Orion NG on the SIM1C. It popped off before I could get a screenshot though.

What was the bus number? I want to see if I can track the location of that bus.

On the last day of X10 service, I remember seeing a LFS bus sitting at the Castleton depot on BusTime (And it was almost time for an X10 to depart), but they swapped it out or a Prevost a few minutes later.

Edited by Lil 57

50 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

That's exactly it.

Posted (edited)

So these new LFS signs have been very defective. A lot of buses with the new front sign don't have working side or rear signs.

Edited by Lil 57
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

So these new LFS signs have been very defective. Alot of buses with the new front sign don't have working side or rear signs.

There's A LOT, and I mean A LOT of LFSes (or is it LFS, since the S is already plural) that have signs that don't work on the sides up here in Kingsbridge, they should've worked the kinks out before putting in the new signs, which actually looks nice by the way.

9 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

What was the bus number? I want to see if I can track the location of that bus.

On the last day of X10 service, I remember seeing a LFS bus sitting at the Castleton depot on BusTime (And it was almost time for an X10 to depart), but they swapped it out or a Prevost a few minutes later. 

bus 4431

4 minutes ago, New Flyer Xcelsior said:

bus 4431

That's not a SI bus so it might of been a mistake from the Manhattan end of the route.

So it looks like the general public that takes public transit transportation still doesn't have a clue how Select Bus Service works. Almost every day I can count how many times passengers comes on board on the SB44 and try to dip their Metro card into the bus fare box when clearly the box is wrap up with a message saying "No on board fare collection". Sometimes it gets tiring repeating myself over and over "No sorry you can't pay here, You have to pay outside by using the big fare box on the curb side and collect a receipt to ride on this bus". And their facial expression looks totally clueless or they just nod their heads and walk away. 

I had this lady on time tried to pay her fare inside the bus and I stopped her and explained to her the process, She totally ignored me and went all the way to the back of the bus to find a seat. Once I reach Nostrand Avenue and Clarkson stop, the MTA Eagle Team were waiting. They manage to pull her off the bus to give her a fine, and she kept on pointing towards my direction the entire time. One of the supervisor approach me and ask me "Did she try to pay her fare here?" and I responded yes and how I was trying to explain to her the process and she just walked away. The entire time as I was speaking with the supervisor, I can hear her saying to the others "He didn't let me pay, he told me to go sit". Long story short, they didn't issue her a fine, but instead made her pay and obtain a receipt. Its 2019 and some people still have no clue how the SBS work and it seems like some don't care and just want to get on the bus and go on.

• Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Yes and no. If the MTA is concerned about cost-containment, you could get away with supplementing via artics while keeping the same schedule. That could help in evening your loads on your 40-footers. (This, of course, is NOT possible, because the MTA follows the "all-or-nothing" thought process.)

Because of this stubbornness, yes, the only option is to look at frequency changes. But then something like that must either be cost-neutral or a minor extra cost. We all know how this story will end, don't we? (Nothing done.)

1 hour ago, Flatbush SBS Duece said:

So it looks like the general public that takes public transit transportation still doesn't have a clue how Select Bus Service works. Almost every day I can count how many times passengers comes on board on the SB44 and try to dip their Metro card into the bus fare box when clearly the box is wrap up with a message saying "No on board fare collection". Sometimes it gets tiring repeating myself over and over "No sorry you can't pay here, You have to pay outside by using the big fare box on the curb side and collect a receipt to ride on this bus". And their facial expression looks totally clueless or they just nod their heads and walk away. 

I had this lady on time tried to pay her fare inside the bus and I stopped her and explained to her the process, She totally ignored me and went all the way to the back of the bus to find a seat. Once I reach Nostrand Avenue and Clarkson stop, the MTA Eagle Team were waiting. They manage to pull her off the bus to give her a fine, and she kept on pointing towards my direction the entire time. One of the supervisor approach me and ask me "Did she try to pay her fare here?" and I responded yes and how I was trying to explain to her the process and she just walked away. The entire time as I was speaking with the supervisor, I can hear her saying to the others "He didn't let me pay, he told me to go sit". Long story short, they didn't issue her a fine, but instead made her pay and obtain a receipt. Its 2019 and some people still have no clue how the SBS work and it seems like some don't care and just want to get on the bus and go on.

Some people are just too much in a rush to even try and learn what to do. You would think having a machine at a bus stop would signify something? But no it doesn’t. But rumor is once OMNY goes into full effect people would be paying on the bus instead of paying before hand. 

1 hour ago, DetSMART45 said:

Yes and no. If the MTA is concerned about cost-containment, you could get away with supplementing via artics while keeping the same schedule. That could help in evening your loads on your 40-footers. (This, of course, is NOT possible, because the MTA follows the "all-or-nothing" thought process.)

Because of this stubbornness, yes, the only option is to look at frequency changes. But then something like that must either be cost-neutral or a minor extra cost. We all know how this story will end, don't we? (Nothing done.)

Yeah, at this point, when artics are suggested for routes, we all groan because we know it's going to be an automatic cut. Real shame.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, GojiMet86 said:

Yeah, at this point, when artics are suggested for routes, we all groan because we know it's going to be an automatic cut. Real shame.

Except for the peak Bx6, apparently...

9 hours ago, NBTA said:

There's A LOT, and I mean A LOT of LFSes (or is it LFS, since the S is already plural) that have signs that don't work on the sides up here in Kingsbridge, they should've worked the kinks out before putting in the new signs, which actually looks nice by the way.

Speaking of pural, the apostrophe in front of the S like this.... S', should be the right correction, right ? Or either way like "LFSes"

2 hours ago, Lex said:

Except for the peak Bx6, apparently...

That was a funny one, because the cut never really happened, seems like they are running fine as well, but the Bx36...............................................lets not talk about that one.

13 minutes ago, NBTA said:

That was a funny one, because the cut never really happened, seems like they are running fine as well, but the Bx36...............................................lets not talk about that one.

Peak Bx6 service was never meant to be cut.

As for the Bx36, well, it was far from a good idea to shift it over after doing the same for the Bx6.

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, NBTA said:

Depends what you're talking about...

- If you're talking about multiple buses from multiple LFS fleets, then it's LFS'...
- If you're talking about multiple buses within the same LFS fleet, then it's LFS (of course, you'd have to specify which LFS fleet you're speaking of)...

2 hours ago, King Transit said:

Speaking of plural, the apostrophe in front of the S like this.... S', should be the right correction, right ? Or either way like "LFSes"

You're right that the apostrophe behind the 'S' denotes pluralization....

However, in your post here, that's an apostrophe behind that 's', not in front.... Lol....

6 hours ago, GojiMet86 said:

It's been like that with me since day one.... Artics are used as cost cutting measures with this agency & nothing more....

Edited by B35 via Church

12 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

So these new LFS signs have been very defective. A lot of buses with the new front sign don't have working side or rear signs.

I was gonna post about this eventually because its messing with the interior screens and announcements. 

The LFS fleet he's talking about is the 8090-8503 batch. They're receiving new destination signs (only see Staten Island so far), and when it receives the new screen, the side screen and rear screen are completely blank. The interior screens malfunction now, and barely sync with the route, a few work, some lagg, and some are completely blank. 

Clearly the newer LFS (8504-8754) are working perfectly fine so far, and the interior screens have been very accurate. 

Just now, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

I was gonna post about this eventually because its messing with the interior screens and announcements. 

The LFS fleet he's talking about is the 8090-8503 batch. They're receiving new destination signs (only see Staten Island so far), and when it receives the new screen, the side screen and rear screen are completely blank. The interior screens malfunction now, and barely sync with the route, a few work, some lagg, and some are completely blank. 

Clearly the newer LFS (8504-8754) are working perfectly fine so far, and the interior screens have been very accurate. 

The is one exception. Buses from Castleton Depot with the new signs don't have these issues. I wonder why?

1 minute ago, Lil 57 said:

The is one exception. Buses from Castleton Depot with the new signs don't have these issues. I wonder why?

They do, I ride the S52/S93 frequently, idk but Castleton probably installed them the best. 

The S78 is completely shot, maybe a bad installation from the Charleston. Only Yukon route I ride is the S79 so I don't know how their LFS are doing on the interior right now. 

Jamaica Depot used to have the RTS but the Next Gens left the depot as well. 

2 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

1 hour ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

They do, I ride the S52/S93 frequently, idk but Castleton probably installed them the best. 

The S78 is completely shot, maybe a bad installation from the Charleston. Only Yukon route I ride is the S79 so I don't know how their LFS are doing on the interior right now. 

Picture evidence (if possible) could really help so that we all understand what is going on!

Hi,

Could anybody tell me some good places to film some buses (preferably in Manhattan)? I'm interested in all sorts of buses, but would love to get some Xcelsiors and LFSA/LFS'

Thanks a lot!

BrightlinerNewFlyer