BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

23 hours ago, Uncle Floyd Fan said:

When the MTA puts out a new schedule, it would be ideal if they could give a 1-3 sentence summary of the changes being made within the schedule (ie - "Slight summer service reduction in AM and PM rush"; "New 5:10 AM on the QM5 from Glen Oaks"; "We're cutting your 12 AM QM2 trip - use the 7 train or Port Washington Branch").

NJ Transit already does this on their bus schedules in the "take note" section.

Port Authority Transit (Pittsburgh) has been doing it for years and it is located on top of the front of the schedule where it should be.

I would like to read the excuses that the suits will come up as to why this totally sensible suggestion had not been implemented years ago other cities have done it. 

• Replies 38.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/29/2019 at 9:45 AM, Uncle Floyd Fan said:

When the MTA puts out a new schedule, it would be ideal if they could give a 1-3 sentence summary of the changes being made within the schedule (ie - "Slight summer service reduction in AM and PM rush"; "New 5:10 AM on the QM5 from Glen Oaks"; "We're cutting your 12 AM QM2 trip - use the 7 train or Port Washington Branch").

NJ Transit already does this on their bus schedules in the "take note" section.

Would be ideal for such a program to be in place, but with much of the "schedule" being accessed electronically now, it's pretty much pointless for Local service. Express Bus schedules should have those notifications, though.

NJ Transit has much more "suburban" service rather than "urban", and some of those customers rely on the NJT train schedules, so it's a bit more appropriate for them to prominently note any changes.

What the MTA really does need to do when it comes to schedule changes is: a] Put a "Service Change" notice on BusTime for the route well-ahead of the change (that wouldn't direct to the "Service Status" widget but go to a specific change webpage featuring all of the routes and changes being made), b] On that webpage, have a drop-down so you can select route/direction/service day to see the new schedule (even if it's not the "official" fold-schedule PDF but a spreadsheet with times), and c] Coordinate appropriate Guide-A-Ride changes streetside, because even though there's the thought that "Everybody uses a smartphone for bus arrivals", it just isn't so. Personally, I don't use the streetside schedule, but it is truly amazing how many people arrive at a stop around here and scan the timetable (even though they're in their own little world with their earbuds coming FROM said smartphone).

All of you thus far are making points regarding common courtesy..... I don't disagree that it all SHOULD be the case, but when you come to grips that this agency views & treats the riding public as that of being expendable, it's nothing more than being par for the course.....

As far as this new/future website or whatever, to be honest, judging by the skeletal nature of its appearance, I like what/where they're trying to go with it.... Last rendition of the site was much too much of a clusterf**k.....

1 hour ago, danielhg121 said:

Has the MTA done anything for PrideFest? I think they did something last year but I don’t remember. If so, where. Thanks a lot!

They stopped (L) train work for this weekend so the (L) train is running on normal headways. Because of that (M) service has been reverted back to it's normal weekend service pattern (ending at Essex Street) and the B91A has been put on hold for this weekend.

9 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

The S79 SBS is all 100% 2019 LFSs now at 9:39 AM. No NGs in sight.

Update @ 7:33 PM. Not a single SBS NG was out today. In fact, the only NG out today on the S79 SBS was 4054 which is now on the S44. Guess they're giving those buses a rest.

23 hours ago, DetSMART45 said:

NJ Transit has much more "suburban" service rather than "urban", and some of those customers rely on the NJT train schedules, so it's a bit more appropriate for them to prominently note any changes.

it's interesting that you mention this as I looked at the NJT 10 bus schedule (JC <-> Bayonne service) prior to commenting. It seems NJT comments on virtually all new schedules.

Ideally (and I emphasize ideally as opposed to necessary), the 'take note' section would look like this.... 

Thanks goes out to @BM5 via Woodhaven!

I'll also add that the effective date on the schedules should be standardized. The NYC Transit express buses (ie- the X68) has an actual effective date, while the MTA Bus Co express buses has a 'seasonal' date, like a fine restaurant on Park Ave issues a 'summer' menu (ie - the QM6 has a 'summer schedule'.....how nice!).  But when does it take effect - what date? A lotta mystery there.

15 minutes ago, Uncle Floyd Fan said:

it's interesting that you mention this as I looked at the NJT 10 bus schedule (JC <-> Bayonne service) prior to commenting. It seems NJT comments on virtually all new schedules.

Ideally (and I emphasize ideally as opposed to necessary), the 'take note' section would look like this.... 

Thanks goes out to @BM5 via Woodhaven!

I'll also add that the effective date on the schedules should be standardized. The NYC Transit express buses (ie- the X68) has an actual effective date, while the MTA Bus Co express buses has a 'seasonal' date, like a fine restaurant on Park Ave issues a 'summer' menu (ie - the QM6 has a 'summer schedule'.....how nice!).  But when does it take effect - what date? A lotta mystery there.

The problem is that it’s been like that for years, since around 2007. When the MTA bus routes were first taken over their schedules would say “January 2006”, “September 2006” and etc. However sometime in 2007 when the bus on front of the schedules changed from a bus symbol to an RTS, they made the schedules seasonal. For over a decade the route maps on the back of the schedule lacked bus transfers, condensed times ex “every 5 minutes until” and all MTA bus in Queens except the Q25 still have the old bus stop signs from the 90s. There are some that have been changed to the newer bus stop signs but they are just spread out and random. However when you go to other boroughs a majority of the stops have been updated. It was till a few years ago when MTA bus routes got Guide A Rides, borough maps in buses and front bus ads.
The MTA needs to do a better with fleet uniformity. 

16 minutes ago, Gleasonbus7560 said:

4232 is not an unusual situation on S79 SBS there using anything available until they get there allotment of LFS including the New ones they have already

I’m totally aware of that.... I only pointed it out because this could be one of the last times a LCL NG appears on the S79. Yukon has about 10 left of them which are bound for other depots such as Manhattanville.

1 hour ago, Snorunts said:

4232 is on the S79 SBS if anyone wants to catch it.

1 hour ago, Gleasonbus7560 said:

4232 is not an unusual situation on S79 SBS there using anything available until they get there allotment of LFS including the New ones they have already

Most likely the S79 SBS fleet will be pooled with the local fleet, I wouldn't be surprised if the rest of the LFS's are local scheme.

5 hours ago, Snorunts said:

I don’t know much about Staten Island, but does anyone see a possibility in the near or far future of them getting articulated buses for any routes?

This was discussed a little bit. The possibility is slim but I believe ENY said there were talks of implementing a North Shore SBS that will use artics.

6 hours ago, Snorunts said:

I don’t know much about Staten Island, but does anyone see a possibility in the near or far future of them getting articulated buses for any routes?

Eventually the S79 will receive artics, around 10-15 years from now.  But the North Shore BRT route (if implemented) will be the first.

1 hour ago, danielhg121 said:

This was discussed a little bit. The possibility is slim but I believe ENY said there were talks of implementing a North Shore SBS that will use artics.

ENY said they will be using electric buses as Staten Island will be going into the transition, the north shore sbs will be one of the first routes fully electric.

26 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Eventually the S79 will receive artics, around 10-15 years from now.  But the North Shore BRT route (if implemented) will be the first.

Where did you get that from? The only thing artic going to Staten Island is the XE60 and that will be one bus or two and those will be tested in all five boroughs.  

6 hours ago, Brillant93 said:

ENY said they will be using electric buses as Staten Island will be going into the transition, the north shore sbs will be one of the first routes fully electric.

Where did you get that from? The only thing artic going to Staten Island is the XE60 and that will be one bus or two and those will be tested in all five boroughs.  

My brain and ridership stats. S79 is forever growing and eventually it'll receive artics, it's not in the plans now but in the future yes. 

35 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

My brain and ridership stats. S79 is forever growing and eventually it'll receive artics, it's not in the plans now but in the future yes. 

Unless it’s confirmed by someone on top of a press release it’s not on the table as of now. Plenty of routes that are high ridership still have yet to get artics. The only thing that is confirmed is that one or two XE60s will travel around the city to test and that’s it.