BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

12 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

Ridership decreased in 2017

Hardly, just by several hundred. Basically lost 1% of it's total ridership.

2 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

My brain and ridership stats. S79 is forever growing and eventually it'll receive artics, it's not in the plans now but in the future yes. 

That all depends on.

A. If the union would want to take on less runs for the addition of artics, which I kind of doubt.

B. If they'll order equipment for Yukon to maintain artics, along with making the space for artics.

8 hours ago, Brillant93 said:

ENY said they will be using electric buses as Staten Island will be going into the transition, the north shore sbs will be one of the first routes fully electric.

Where did you get that from? The only thing artic going to Staten Island is the XE60 and that will be one bus or two and those will be tested in all five boroughs.  

The XE60 never made it to Staten Island, it's no longer in New York City.

As for the bold part....let's just wait and see what will eventually happen. Too many people cling onto information that might change. Nothing is concrete as of now.

Edited by Cait Sith

• Replies 38.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

Hardly, just by several hundred. Basically lost 1% of it's total ridership.

That all depends on.

A. If the union would want to take on less runs for the addition of artics, which I kind of doubt.

B. If they'll order equipment for Yukon to maintain artics, along with making the space for artics.

The XE60 never made it to Staten Island, it's no longer in New York City.

As for the bold part....let's just wait and see what will eventually happen. Too many people cling onto information that might change. Nothing is concrete as of now.

Not the XE60 that was in nyc that was at FB but the 15 that are coming in the fall. ENY said one or two of those buses will travel through nyc as a test. Unless that changed but he said that a few times in here. 

Since tomorrow is July 4th I was thinking that the (MTA) should run more express bus service to SI as well as more S53, S79 SBS and special S93 LTD service between the hours of 7:30 PM and 10:30 PM because the SI Ferry isn't running during those hours. Those buses are going to be packed tomorrow evening.

49 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

Since tomorrow is July 4th I was thinking that the (MTA) should run more express bus service to SI as well as more S53, S79 SBS and special S93 LTD service between the hours of 7:30 PM and 10:30 PM because the SI Ferry isn't running during those hours. Those buses are going to be packed tomorrow evening.

Honestly, it would generally be nice to have more service, especially if we're talking about the S79 and S93.

3 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

They are, extra service out of the ferry and the city. 

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

Can buses be transferred between NYCTA, MABSTOA and MTA Bus?

Yes they can and they are doing it right now. The NGs from SI to Manhattan and the OGs from Manhattan to Queens (MTA Bus) are a few of the recent transfers.

59 minutes ago, SevenEleven said:

That I can't speak on (before my time) but right now, they can't do moves that way since MTA Bus' batches are paid for with fed money.

That's so interesting. Why is that a stipulation? Are any NYCT buses at least partially funded by the feds?

8 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

That's so interesting. Why is that a stipulation? Are any NYCT buses at least partially funded by the feds?

Because the feds dictate what kind of buses you can buy with their money.. so if they handing out money for hybrids, hybrids shall be ordered. That and they have to be kept for at least 12 years, if the agency wants to get more money for replacements. If you look at the Designline coaches bought by NJT, they're sitting rotting away the remainder of the 12 years. 

Since NYCT and MTA Bus are two different companies, MTAB's fleet can't be moved across. (Which is why the NYCT buses that go to MTA Bus are the same ones that get taken back)

4 hours ago, SevenEleven said:

Because the feds dictate what kind of buses you can buy with their money.. so if they handing out money for hybrids, hybrids shall be ordered. That and they have to be kept for at least 12 years, if the agency wants to get more money for replacements. If you look at the Designline coaches bought by NJT, they're sitting rotting away the remainder of the 12 years. 

Since NYCT and MTA Bus are two different companies, MTAB's fleet can't be moved across. (Which is why the NYCT buses that go to MTA Bus are the same ones that get taken back)

This seems a bit fishy to me on a few sides. The most glaring being that somehow the MTA, overall, follows all Federal law in everything they do, they're such good stewards of the monies disbursed their way from the FTA. That portrayal we all know is patently false.

While it may be true that New York City Transit (itself an amalgam) and MTA Bus Company are -- on paper -- separate companies, they are nonetheless under the larger umbrella of control of a Public Benefit Corporation. Under this designation, for example, the MTA can (and does) impose taxation in various forms, which is co-mingled such that all funds are amassed and then distributed at their discretion of fulfilling their chartered obligations. I'm not going to get in the weeds of this, but between the 1982 original MTA Surcharge of 17%, and the 2009-enacted MTA Payroll Tax (for "employers and self-employed individuals engaging in business within the 12 counties of the Metropolitan Commuter Transportation District (MCTD), which consists of all five boroughs of New York City and Nassau, Suffolk, Westchester, Orange, Dutchess, Putnam, and Rockland counties") there's a pretty hefty chunk of change coming in. However -- Nassau and Suffolk billpayers don't get to designate their collections to be only for the LIRR, just like the five upstate counties don't get their funding solely kept to Metro North. (Some requirements for "return funding" probably exist on the books somewhere, but let's not get lost in that.) Explanation here

Let's go back to the whole "this bus is mine, and that bus is yours" thinking for a minute:

Let's say a Metro North train has a whoopsie incident in Westchester up by Dobbs Ferry, such that bus service has to be brought in (like when the Hamptons had the LIRR incident around Memorial Day). Bee-Line doesn't have anything to really send that will accommodate all MNR customers. Good job there's the Yonkers MTA depot, right? Well, under those "strict rules that are always followed," the MTA couldn't just send its own buses out there, could they? Metro North is a "totally different company" than MTA Bus, after all. No, as under the auspices of the Public Benefit Corporation, the MTA can send property owned by itself to handle such a situation.

Federal rules for the purchase and operation of fleet are primarily used as "guidelines" overall (and don't try to play semantics on this). Since the MTA is a unique situation, buses under NYCT and MTAB can be "intermingled" to fulfill the operations under their charter. The Feds know this.

And like I said, the MTA cannot be held up as a "model citizen" in "following the rules" in any way, shape, manner or form.

22 minutes ago, North Shore Line said:

I think I found out why Castleton is receiving the 8700s, meet the new S79 Select Bus Service!  /sarc

n3beUPJ.jpg

Please, tell me this is a code break. Is this really SI in the background or Queens ????

Edited by King Transit