Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
EE Broadway Local

BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

8 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

I remember seeing images of some 3xxx MCI buses on SI which were loned from MTA Bus.

That I can't speak on (before my time) but right now, they can't do moves that way since MTA Bus' batches are paid for with fed money.

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, SevenEleven said:

That I can't speak on (before my time) but right now, they can't do moves that way since MTA Bus' batches are paid for with fed money.

That's so interesting. Why is that a stipulation? Are any NYCT buses at least partially funded by the feds?

1 hour ago, QM1to6Ave said:

That's so interesting. Why is that a stipulation? Are any NYCT buses at least partially funded by the feds?

I think it likely has to due with funding. Remember that NYCT and MTA Bus are two different divisions and funded differently.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Because the feds dictate what kind of buses you can buy with their money.. so if they handing out money for hybrids, hybrids shall be ordered. That and they have to be kept for at least 12 years, if the agency wants to get more money for replacements. If you look at the Designline coaches bought by NJT, they're sitting rotting away the remainder of the 12 years. 

Since NYCT and MTA Bus are two different companies, MTAB's fleet can't be moved across. (Which is why the NYCT buses that go to MTA Bus are the same ones that get taken back)

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, SevenEleven said:

Because the feds dictate what kind of buses you can buy with their money.. so if they handing out money for hybrids, hybrids shall be ordered. That and they have to be kept for at least 12 years, if the agency wants to get more money for replacements. If you look at the Designline coaches bought by NJT, they're sitting rotting away the remainder of the 12 years. 

Since NYCT and MTA Bus are two different companies, MTAB's fleet can't be moved across. (Which is why the NYCT buses that go to MTA Bus are the same ones that get taken back)

This seems a bit fishy to me on a few sides. The most glaring being that somehow the MTA, overall, follows all Federal law in everything they do, they're such good stewards of the monies disbursed their way from the FTA. That portrayal we all know is patently false.

While it may be true that New York City Transit (itself an amalgam) and MTA Bus Company are -- on paper -- separate companies, they are nonetheless under the larger umbrella of control of a Public Benefit Corporation. Under this designation, for example, the MTA can (and does) impose taxation in various forms, which is co-mingled such that all funds are amassed and then distributed at their discretion of fulfilling their chartered obligations. I'm not going to get in the weeds of this, but between the 1982 original MTA Surcharge of 17%, and the 2009-enacted MTA Payroll Tax (for "employers and self-employed individuals engaging in business within the 12 counties of the Metropolitan Commuter Transportation District (MCTD), which consists of all five boroughs of New York City and Nassau, Suffolk, Westchester, Orange, Dutchess, Putnam, and Rockland counties") there's a pretty hefty chunk of change coming in. However -- Nassau and Suffolk billpayers don't get to designate their collections to be only for the LIRR, just like the five upstate counties don't get their funding solely kept to Metro North. (Some requirements for "return funding" probably exist on the books somewhere, but let's not get lost in that.) Explanation here

Let's go back to the whole "this bus is mine, and that bus is yours" thinking for a minute:

Let's say a Metro North train has a whoopsie incident in Westchester up by Dobbs Ferry, such that bus service has to be brought in (like when the Hamptons had the LIRR incident around Memorial Day). Bee-Line doesn't have anything to really send that will accommodate all MNR customers. Good job there's the Yonkers MTA depot, right? Well, under those "strict rules that are always followed," the MTA couldn't just send its own buses out there, could they? Metro North is a "totally different company" than MTA Bus, after all. No, as under the auspices of the Public Benefit Corporation, the MTA can send property owned by itself to handle such a situation.

Federal rules for the purchase and operation of fleet are primarily used as "guidelines" overall (and don't try to play semantics on this). Since the MTA is a unique situation, buses under NYCT and MTAB can be "intermingled" to fulfill the operations under their charter. The Feds know this.

And like I said, the MTA cannot be held up as a "model citizen" in "following the rules" in any way, shape, manner or form.

4 minutes ago, North Shore Line said:

I think I found out why Castleton is receiving the 8700s, meet the new S79 Select Bus Service!  /sarc

n3beUPJ.jpg

I wish

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, North Shore Line said:

I think I found out why Castleton is receiving the 8700s, meet the new S79 Select Bus Service!  /sarc

n3beUPJ.jpg

Please, tell me this is a code break. Is this really SI in the background or Queens ????

Edited by King Transit

25 minutes ago, North Shore Line said:

n3beUPJ.jpg

IF ONLY!!! 👍

4 minutes ago, King Transit said:

Please, tell me this is a code break. Is this really SI in the background or Queens ????

SI is in the background since I see a sign for Fingerboard road. I'm pretty sure this was photoshopped.

• Upvote 2

8303 back in service from the crash that happened a couple of months ago.

30 minutes ago, King Transit said:

23 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

SI is in the background since I see a sign for Fingerboard road. I'm pretty sure this was photoshopped.

Yes, this is clearly is a photoshopped picture. The shadow alone should tell.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Lil 57 said:

Yes, I knew it. The SI background has no sunlight and the XD60 has the lit up face.

Edited by King Transit

5 hours ago, King Transit said:

Dude...

6 hours ago, North Shore Line said:

meet the new S79 Select Bus Service!  /sarc

• LMAO! 1

Guess the (MTA) decided that they don't run the SBS NG's out of Yukon on weekends. The S79 SBS is all LFS this weekend and only 1 NG (4054) touched that route last Sunday.

2 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

Guess the (MTA) decided that they don't run the SBS NG's out of Yukon on weekends. The S79 SBS is all LFS this weekend and only 1 NG (4054) touched that route last Sunday.

They might as well unwrap those NG’s right now.

4 minutes ago, New Flyer Xcelsior said:

Hi all,

Soon, I will have to be commuting from northern Roosevelt Island to the Columbus Circle area. I was wondering what the best route is.

I also posted this in the Subway topic.

Thanks!

Take the (F) to West 4th Street and transfer to the (A)(C)(B) or (D) to 59th Street.

1 minute ago, Snorunts said:

Take the (F) to West 4th Street and transfer to the (A)(C)(B) or (D) to 59th Street.

Why so far south? And what is the (F) is not running? You know how crazy the (MTA) is about service changes and whatnot.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, New Flyer Xcelsior said:

Hi all,

Soon, I will have to be commuting from northern Roosevelt Island to the Columbus Circle area. I was wondering what the best route is.

Thanks!

hm... all I have in mind is take the Roosevelt Island tramway and switch to the M57 or M31.

Edited by Blasez

1 hour ago, New Flyer Xcelsior said:

Hi all,

Thanks!

Take the (F) to 57th street and walk, if an M57 bus is coming when you come out the subway, then hop on that to Columbus Circle.

Today I was waiting for the M5 at 72 St/West End, had just ran to make the transfer from the M57, and the driver saw me running, I was waving the bus down, and he just breezed by the stop. We then had to wait *16 min* for the next M5.

Bus #4233

M5 Northbound

72 St/West End Av

Could we like, stop with the invisible Q44 buses on MTA BusTime, please? This is making my commute between Jamaica & Throggs Neck Shopping Center FORTY MINUTES LONGER THAN IT NEEDS TO BE.

Context: The 8:03 PM Q44 out of Jamaica was invisible to BusTime, AND late irl. I made the mistake of boarding a Q20A, and just missed a transfer between the Q20A & the ghosting Q44 at Main/Manton. Stupid...

Just now, Axis said:

Could we like, stop with the invisible Q44 buses on MTA BusTime, please? This is making my commute between Jamaica & Throggs Neck Shopping Center FORTY MINUTES LONGER THAN IT NEEDS TO BE.

Context: The 8:03 PM Q44 out of Jamaica was invisible to BusTime, AND late irl. I made the mistake of boarding a Q20A, and just missed a transfer between the Q20A & the ghosting Q44 at Main/Manton. Stupid...

What was your plan once you got on the Q20A? To connect with the Q50?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, New Flyer Xcelsior said:

Today I was waiting for the M5 at 72 St/West End, had just ran to make the transfer from the M57, and the driver saw me running, I was waving the bus down, and he just breezed by the stop. We then had to wait *16 min* for the next M5.

Bus #4233

M5 Northbound

72 St/West End Av

For you and others in a similar situation in NYC: Won't make a difference, even if your M57 operator blew the horn to alert the M5. (Our B/Os out here in the "wild" [far from the civilization known as NYC and the NE Corridor] actually pay attention to other intersecting buses when rolling up, and in Detroit, many DDOT operators know when buses are scheduled due to being Board and actually working the different runs. SMART ops? Couldn't GAF in the least or even tell you other schedules, even though most run 60 min headways. I digress ...)

Running for a bus pulling off? Get in the right mirror, and *gently* smack the window ....... WHOOPS! This only really works where outside cameras are in operation, and nice backup material to a complaint can be had.

Yours truly does NOT usually run for a bus and gets to stops minimum 5 minutes before scheduled (even before the "arrival" forecast via the Tracker). But in cases where a route is over the 20-minute headway mark (15 on select rotten days), I'll chase the bus if on a pull-off, and best thing is to get in the mirror. Stay up off the wheels on the pavement and you'll be fine, plus someone on board will say something and the bus will stop.

OUR cameras catch everything. FACT: "Homeless"/unstable cat who murdered a Wayne State University police officer was caught/identified via a DDOT bus camera -- not ON (in) the bus, but crossing Grand River Av at 3 AM (while bus was doing regular route, he was caught by one of the outside cameras) during the time in question. [EDIT within above to clarify.]

In your situation, though, I'm gonna be "callous" and say, "Sucks to be you."

This is your MTA -- "Going your way", as their saying goes.

Edited by DetSMART45